PDA

View Full Version : *Official* 7-18 Not Pretty, But a Win Postgame Thread

thomas35forever
07-18-2009, 06:38 PM
Those who think Jenks sucks against everybody need their heads examined.

soxnut1018
I think I'm in love with Mark Buehrle! :bliss:
kM7C_yNlCLU

SoxGirl4Life
Bobby was pissed off.. did you see him after that last out?

Red Barchetta
07-18-2009, 06:39 PM
A little too interesting at the end, but a win is a win and coupled with another Tiggers loss in the Bronx, another step forward....:smile:

drewcifer
:bandance:

SoxGirl4Life
kM7C_yNlCLU

I KNOW I'm in love with Mark Buehrle!

SoxFan1979
07-18-2009, 06:40 PM
Why do we have to make it interesting against last place Balti? :scratch:

Win is a win and 1.5 back I'll take it.

MtGrnwdSoxFan

He should be pissed off...he almost cost the team the game.

Regardless, he didn't, and all we can say is...

1.5 back now!

Go Rangers!

Dan H

I couldn't help but notice. He should have been pissed. He almost blew that game. I like Jenks, but he is struggling, I don't are how many saves he has.

MarySwiss

I think we're ALL in love with Mark Buehrle!! :D:

DirtySox
I love Bobby, but he sure does make me nervous lately.

Chicken Dinner
07-18-2009, 06:41 PM
i couldn't help but notice. He should have been pissed. He almost blew that game. I like jenks, but he is struggling, i don't are how many saves he has.

johnnyg83
07-18-2009, 06:42 PM
Another ho-hum awesome outing by Buerhle.

Soxman219
07-18-2009, 06:42 PM
Look out Tigers, we're coming for that number #1 spot!:bandance:

Whitesoxfan23
07-18-2009, 06:43 PM
A win is a win, but how long will Jenks be given a free pass? Oh well, at least we won. The Sox are playing good baseball.

LoveYourSuit
07-18-2009, 06:43 PM

Same goes to those who can't realize that he has been awful lately.

Take the Win and go for the sweep tomorrow.

SoxGirl4Life
07-18-2009, 06:44 PM

I almost cried that year with all those rumors about him being traded. I wrote to the Sox front office AT LEAST 3 times voicing my opinion

The Immigrant
Bobby is just trying to ruin his trade value so Kenny doesn't trade him.

slavko

What does that mean in the context of the ninth inning we just saw? He got hit pretty well even if one of the hits would have been caught by 9 out of 10 right fielders. A win is a win, enjoy it.

soxnut1018
07-18-2009, 06:46 PM
A win is a win, but how long will Jenks be given a free pass? Oh well, at least we won. The Sox are playing good baseball.

He's blown 2 saves all year.:scratch:

johnnyg83
07-18-2009, 06:46 PM
MB now has nine straight years of at least 10-win seasons.

thomas35forever
07-18-2009, 06:47 PM
What does that mean in the context of the ninth inning we just saw? He got hit pretty well even if one of the hits would have been caught by 9 out of 10 right fielders. A win is a win, enjoy it.
We know he sucks against Baltimore. One bad outing against a team that's owned him should not change people's perceptions of him.

Whitesoxfan23
07-18-2009, 06:48 PM
He's blown 2 saves all year.:scratch:

Yeah, but he hasn't been that good lately. Continue to scratch away though.

Whitesoxfan23
07-18-2009, 06:49 PM
We know he sucks against Baltimore. One bad outing against a team that's owned him should not change people's perceptions of him.

You really think we are complaining about one outing? K.

LoveYourSuit
I almost cried that year with all those rumors about him being traded. I wrote to the Sox front office AT LEAST 3 times voicing my opinion

I only cry when one of my kids is sick or looking at my declining bank account :tongue:

soxnut1018

And I could've sworn his job was to protect leads, so far this year he has done that.

Chicken Dinner

ERA approaching 4. Not good for a closer.

voodoochile
Coulda scored more, but coulda given up less.

BurlyMon remains a complete stud.

Beckham is now up to .296 and his OPS just cracked .800 for the first time.

Getz got another hit.

Thome is on fire.

Even Wise had a double.

1.5 out of first even if it took some heart palpitations to get there.

:soxwin:

:)

TDog
07-18-2009, 06:50 PM
Short of the forfeit inspired by widespread public mayhem, there is no such thing as an ugly Sox win. This was for those upset that the Sox don't have a better record in one-run games.

Two runners failed to scored from third with one out -- not their faults, really. Two runners thrown out at home in the same inning (White Sox outfielder William "Dummy" Hoy threw out threw out three runners in an inning 108 years ago, so, no, that wasn't a record). Jenks pitched just well enough to get the save.

With all the mistakes the White Sox made, they still won. Buehrle still beat a good young pitcher with a better ERA, which some people consider more important than wins.

A great win for the White Sox. A heartbreaking loss for the Orioles.

jabrch
07-18-2009, 06:50 PM

Free pass? That's hor****. Every time he struggles people point it out. Nobody gets a free pass.

TDog
07-18-2009, 06:51 PM
ERA approaching 4. Not good for a closer.

ERA is irrelevant for a closer.

SoxGirl4Life
07-18-2009, 06:51 PM
"Buehrle (10-3) improved to 14-1 with a 2.47 ERA in 20 home starts dating back to 2008 All-Star break."

Umm.. Wow!

LoveYourSuit
07-18-2009, 06:52 PM

With the yearly roster turnovers at this level, the Baltimore nonesense is the biggest pile of **** arguement out there. Goes right along with the Metrodome excuses.

NDSox12
07-18-2009, 06:52 PM
It was great to see Buehrle back to his normal self after the disaster in Minnesota last weekend.

I'm a little concerned about the bullpen, but at least they haven't been costing us too many games... so far.

gf2020
07-18-2009, 06:53 PM
Bobby has had three bad games in a row against a team that owns him and in a park where we don't play well. And while I want and hope for him to be awesome all the time, sometimes certain situations are always going to give guys problems. Before that, he had five games where he only allowed one runner total. I'm not all that concerned.

LoveYourSuit
07-18-2009, 06:53 PM

Bull ****. Tell me you want Joe Borowski here.

I don't think so.

Whitesoxfan23
07-18-2009, 06:55 PM
Has anybody else noticed that Getz has been doing alot better?

LoveYourSuit
07-18-2009, 06:56 PM
I was very impressed with Buehrle out there today and how he battled. He was getting hit at times but didn't let up. He knows his stuff is not there at 85-86 but just doesn't stop battling.

You have to love the guy.

SoxGirl4Life
07-18-2009, 06:56 PM

No. People are really focused on the closer right now. But its nice that Getz and Beckham have had solid games.

LoveYourSuit
07-18-2009, 06:58 PM

I have. He has been staying on top of the ball more often lately which has made his average come up nicely. Still some problems with the glove, but the bat is starting to get there.

I was his biggest critic here, but I am seeing a different hitter the last month here.

Kudos to Walker. Give credit where it is due.

TomBradley72
07-18-2009, 06:58 PM
Just for the record, over the last 30 days, Jenks is 1-0, 3.38 ERA, and 5/5 in save opportunities, with 10 strike outs/1 walk, 6 hits, over 8.0 innings.

LoveYourSuit
07-18-2009, 07:00 PM
No. People are really focused on the closer right now. But its nice that Getz and Beckham have had solid games.

Gordon is amazing. He is hitting about .300 now and he still is not even close to squaring up the ball at the dish. It is scarry to think how good he can be.

I honestly think this kid will battle for a Batting Title in the near future.

LoveYourSuit
07-18-2009, 07:01 PM
Just for the record, over the last 30 days, Jenks is 1-0, 3.38 ERA, and 5/5 in save opportunities, with 10 strike outs/1 walk, 6 hits, over 8.0 innings.

What I see there too is lack of work.

8 innings in 30 days?

SoxGirl4Life
07-18-2009, 07:02 PM
Gordon is amazing. He is hitting about .300 now and he still is not even close to squaring up the ball at the dish. It is scarry to think how good he can be.

I honestly think this kid will battle for a Batting Title in the near future.

I totally agree. That's why the talk of trading him for Halladay is ridiculous.

Noneck
07-18-2009, 07:02 PM

I don't think so.

Exacting who i thought of today. Jenks better not turn into Borowski. If so, Danger ahead.

KyWhiSoxFan
07-18-2009, 07:03 PM
I'm sure someone can provide stats on this, but Jenks is not good with a lot of rest. He's much better when he pitches regularly, every other day.

And this was his first outing in 7 days. He'll be much better tomorrow if needed.

voodoochile
07-18-2009, 07:04 PM

8 innings in 30 days?

Well Ozzie likes to save him for save situations unless the lack of work becomes dramatic. Over the last 30 days the Sox have led the majors in offensive production so less works for Jenks is a given.

BigP50
great outing for MB56.

Bobby needs to step his game up.

TomBradley72

8 innings in 30 days?

I think the lack of work is more a result of our offense and the quality of our starting pitching over that stretch....I like it...keeps him fresh for the stretch run.

LoveYourSuit
07-18-2009, 07:05 PM
I totally agree. That's why the talk of trading him for Halladay is ridiculous.

Well, I might still consider the deal if it lowers the rest of the package we would have to give up.

The rotation of Roy, Buehrle, Danks, Floyd, Contreras should make us favorites to win the AL this year and maybe next.

SephClone89
07-18-2009, 07:07 PM
Well, I might still consider the deal if it lowers the rest of the package we would have to give up.

The rotation of Roy, Buehrle, Danks, Floyd, Contreras should make us favorites to win the AL this year and maybe next.

Yeah...but Gordon Beckham.

LoveYourSuit
07-18-2009, 07:08 PM
I think the lack of work is more a result of our offense and the quality of our starting pitching over that stretch....I like it...keeps him fresh for the stretch run.

3 pitches getting Jenks is trouble are:

2 seam, cutter, & Slider.

If he stays more of a 4 seam + curveball exclusive, he should be back to '05 and '06 where he was just blowing everyone away.

He is trying too much junk which isn't needed when you need to only get 3 outs.

SoxGirl4Life
07-18-2009, 07:09 PM

I'm going to agree to disagree :tiphat:

TomBradley72
07-18-2009, 07:10 PM

As long as you take into account the lower quality every day line up (with Fields at 3rd base) that would make our team worse for 80% of the schedule where Halladay is not pitching. Giving up Beckham for the 12 starts we'd get from Halladay this season isn't worth it to me.

Jerko
07-18-2009, 07:12 PM
Did we set a record for the least amount of runs scored after 7 consecutive hits?

SoxGirl4Life
07-18-2009, 07:13 PM
Did we set a record for the least amount of runs scored after 7 consecutive hits?

Probably. But in case you didn't hear, we won!

Tragg
07-18-2009, 07:14 PM
Good pitching out of MB and Thornton, but must straighten up some sloppy execution - too few runners scoring from 3rd with less than 2 out, and waiving runners home that are out by a mile.

We're 9 games out of the best record in the league..over the course of a season, we'd be, oh 15 or 16 games behind. That would mean ONE player improves us 16 or 17 games. Not a chance.

Jerko
07-18-2009, 07:14 PM
Probably. But in case you didn't hear, we won!

I know we won but I want to be there for records too!

Chicken Dinner
07-18-2009, 07:16 PM

And why is that? :?:

markopat
07-18-2009, 07:17 PM
I do like that win! 1.5 out! Let's go boys!

TDog
07-18-2009, 07:21 PM

I don't think so.

Borowski being a lousy pitcher has nothing to do with his ERA.

ERAs measure earned runs given up over nine innings. A xloser with an ERA of 4.5 gives up an average of two runs every inning, but that doesn't mean he gives up a run every other inning he pitches.

Kerry Wood has an ERA over 5. He comes into the game against the White Sox and fans go, "Look at his ERA. White sox should get three runs off of him."

The thing is, Wood is lights out more often than not. He gave up two runs in an inning in his last game, a save against the Tigers. Before that, he had four scoreless appearances. Overall, he's pitched in 34 games and has only given up runs in nine of them. While his ERA indicates he would be scored upon on alternate appearances, he has nearly three times as many scoreless outings as games where he gives up runs. And some of those games where he gave up runs didn't affect the outcome.

The first time Soria came into pitch against the Sox this year, they scored one run against him, and the Royals won by one instead of two. The save was more importnat than what the game did to his ERA. As good as his ERA is now, His ERA now is 1.88. If he has a bad inning and gives up four runs in his next outing, his ERA almost doubles, to 3.6. The bad outings skew the ERA upward.

Closers don't pitch enough innings for their ERAs to be a relevant statistic.

Enjoy the win, if you are so capable.

sullythered
07-18-2009, 07:23 PM
And why is that? :?:
ERA is a pretty silly statistic for any relief pitcher.

But for a closer, only one statistic means anything at all: save percentage. Bobby's is 91% this year, and he has been one of best in baseball at it for his entire career.

Chicken Dinner
07-18-2009, 07:26 PM
Borowski being a lousy pitcher has nothing to do with his ERA.

ERAs measure earned runs given up over nine innings. A xloser with an ERA of 4.5 gives up an average of two runs every inning, but that doesn't mean he gives up a run every other inning he pitches.

Kerry Wood has an ERA over 5. He comes into the game against the White Sox and fans go, "Look at his ERA. White sox should get three runs off of him."

The thing is, Wood is lights out more often than not. He gave up two runs in an inning in his last game, a save against the Tigers. Before that, he had four scoreless appearances. Overall, he's pitched in 34 games and has only given up runs in nine of them. While his ERA indicates he would be scored upon on alternate appearances, he has nearly three times as many scoreless outings as games where he gives up runs. And some of those games where he gave up runs didn't affect the outcome.

The first time Soria came into pitch against the Sox this year, they scored one run against him, and the Royals won by one instead of two. The save was more importnat than what the game did to his ERA. As good as his ERA is now, His ERA now is 1.88. If he has a bad inning and gives up four runs in his next outing, his ERA almost doubles, to 3.6. The bad outings skew the ERA upward.

Closers don't pitch enough innings for their ERAs to be a relevant statistic.

Enjoy the win, if you are so capable.

Closers aren't supposed to give up runs in the ninth inning. That's their job, to close the game out. NO RUNS!

GlassSox
07-18-2009, 07:29 PM

Amen! It was a save.

TDog
Closers aren't supposed to give up runs in the ninth inning. That's their job, to close the game out. NO RUNS!

Their job is to hold the lead. Jenks did his job today.

sullythered
No. Closers are supposed to get saves.

To put it in perspective, Bobby's career save pctg is 88. Joe Nathan's is 90 and K-Rod's is 86. Bobby is just fine. In fact, he's more than fine. If he saved 91% of his opportunities for a career (as he is doing this year), he'd probably go to Cooperstown.

Jerko
07-18-2009, 07:32 PM
I'll put it this way. I felt safer with Bobby in there today with a 3 run lead, even though Baltimore kills him, than I did last night with Pena in there with a 4 run lead.

Chicken Dinner
07-18-2009, 07:35 PM
I thought that any pitchers job is to hold the lead. :scratch:

gf2020
07-18-2009, 07:40 PM
Did the White Sox give the lead up at some point I'm not aware of? I turned the game off after we got 27 outs.

LoveYourSuit
07-18-2009, 07:42 PM
I'll put it this way. I felt safer with Bobby in there today with a 3 run lead, even though Baltimore kills him, than I did last night with Pena in there with a 4 run lead.

Based on Pena's 2 outing sample size?

I have a feeling Pena will be treated here just like Dotel is .... very unfairly.

LoveYourSuit
07-18-2009, 07:44 PM

He did do his job but made it way too close. Orioles were one swing away from taking the lead and Jenks was handed a 3 run lead.

Let's call a spade a spade. Jenks was awful today.

Jerko
07-18-2009, 07:47 PM
Based on Pena's 2 outing sample size?

I have a feeling Pena will be treated here just like Dotel is .... very unfairly.

Not a shot at Pena, just confident in Jenks.

Dan H
07-18-2009, 07:47 PM

Worriers like me are not ready to trade Jenks or are even saying he is a bad pitcher. It's just I have seen him look better. And one person who wasn't happy with his performance was Bobby. And I like that. A pitcher shouldn't like to give up runs even if he wins in the end. Putting the tying run on base was something he shouldn't have done. Lack of recent use may have been a problem today. Let's see how he does once he's pitching on a more regular basis. I am sure not ready to hand over the closer role to anyone else.

SOXfnNlansing
07-18-2009, 07:51 PM
It was exciting to see the team score 4 runs in that inning and get all those hits. I was surprised that Wise wasn't booed at any time during the game from what I've read in here lately. As far as Jenks goes, all I cared about was hearing the fireworks going off signaling a White Sox winner when we were walking in the parking lot. It was a good game overall imo.

TDog
07-18-2009, 07:53 PM
He did do his job but made it way too close. Orioles were one swing away from taking the lead and Jenks was handed a 3 run lead.

Let's call a spade a spade. Jenks was awful today.

And yet, he got the save and the White Sox won. If he can still do his job when he pitches badly, the Sox are in pretty good shape.

Why are people upset?

Chicken Dinner
07-18-2009, 07:55 PM
Did the White Sox give the lead up at some point I'm not aware of? I turned the game off after we got 27 outs.

If you think that giving up 2 runs in the ninth is acceptable from your closer, well I guess your good.

voodoochile
07-18-2009, 07:58 PM
And yet, he got the save and the White Sox won. If he can still do his job when he pitches badly, the Sox are in pretty good shape.

Why are people upset?:welcome:

LoveYourSuit
07-18-2009, 07:59 PM

Why are people upset?

Don't confuse upset with concern.

People are "concerned" about Jenks Ineffectiveness.

There are a few guys in that pen struggling right now. Not only Jenks.

But you expect Jenks to be lights out.

Craig Grebeck
07-18-2009, 08:00 PM

Why are people upset?
We won because we had a three-run lead, not because of Jenks; he about gave it away. Any pitcher -- starter, middle reliever, closer -- is charged with the duty of run prevention. It's that simple.

slavko
07-18-2009, 08:03 PM
3 pitches getting Jenks is trouble are:

2 seam, cutter, & Slider.

If he stays more of a 4 seam + curveball exclusive, he should be back to '05 and '06 where he was just blowing everyone away.

He is trying too much junk which isn't needed when you need to only get 3 outs.

You are right on it. A closer who is going to pitch one inning needs two pitches. Period. Anything more, esp. from Bobby, makes things worse, not better. And you picked the right 2 pitches.

gf2020
07-18-2009, 08:06 PM
If you think that giving up 2 runs in the ninth is acceptable from your closer, well I guess your good.
If we have a three run lead, I'll take that outcome 100% of the time.

Chicken Dinner
07-18-2009, 08:13 PM
If we have a three run lead, I'll take that outcome 100% of the time.

Nobody is denying that. But, the closer shouldn't be giving up those kind of runs, let alone, putting the tying run on base!

BadBobbyJenks
07-18-2009, 08:38 PM
Jenks' kryptonite.

Great job by Buehrle after the 3rd inning, it looked like he may be on pace to leave after 5, but he settled down and pushed into the 8th. What a stud.

The Sox are now 7-0 on Saturday home games, if I would just stop going to random weekday games, I would go undefeated this season.

drewcifer
07-18-2009, 08:43 PM
We won't trade him until he's useless. I asked to trade him in May and got almost banned.

We insist that our trash is others treasure, and anything that we have that is decent should be held onto!

Jenks has been declining for 2 1/2 seasons. He's held together by screws (literally), he doesn't take care of himself, and he was never even supposed to be what he has become.

There are so many long term parts we could've gotten from his wonderful service value; but this team, as per usual, never EVER takes advantage of trading a player when their value is high. And, to top it off he's going to be due $ again.

A closer is such an overrated and overpaid position its disgusting! Everyone wants to think they have Mo Rivera when they spend $/talent on that role and they always find they don't. But they'll pay for the dream.

Let Link get some chances now, move out someone else in MR (take your pick), and let's start warming him up to the role.

Brian26
07-18-2009, 08:54 PM
"Buehrle (10-3) improved to 14-1 with a 2.47 ERA in 20 home starts dating back to 2008 All-Star break."

Umm.. Wow!

Remember that Buehrle was one out from being 11-3 (Jack Wilson 2-out 9th inning homer off, ironically, Bobby Jenks).

voodoochile
07-18-2009, 09:01 PM
We won't trade him until he's useless. I asked to trade him in May and got almost banned.

Your position on Jenks had NOTHING to do with your administrative problems with Me and the site. I no longer have those issues with you, but when you make it sound like your opinion on Jenks was the reason, I take a major exception to it.

We discussed all of this in private. Why you have suddenly decided to make a public issue of it, I have no idea.

Frater Perdurabo
07-18-2009, 09:04 PM
Remember that Buehrle was one out from being 11-3 (Jack Wilson 2-out 9th inning homer off, ironically, Bobby Jenks).

Buehrle has six no-decisions this year. In that Pittsburgh game, he gave up just 1 R in 7 IP. He also pitched well enough to win Opening Day v. KC (2 R in 5 IP) and May 30 v. KC (3 R in 7.1 IP).

LoveYourSuit
07-18-2009, 09:25 PM
You are right on it. A closer who is going to pitch one inning needs two pitches. Period. Anything more, esp. from Bobby, makes things worse, not better. And you picked the right 2 pitches.

Yeah,

Unless he is going to come forward and finally admit that he can no longer touch 97-100, then that's a different story. He has no choice but to mess with all that other junk if that's the case.

But for the lack of use he is getting (8 IP in the last 30 days), he should just reach back and let it go.

Martinigirl
07-18-2009, 09:31 PM

I do believe the job of the closer is to finish the game with their team having more runs than the other team. It would be nice if they never gave back a run or two, but as long as our lead is larger than the amount of runs the closer gives up, he has done his job.

slavko
07-18-2009, 09:32 PM
Yeah,

Unless he is going to come forward and finally admit that he can no longer touch 97-100, then that's a different story. He has no choice but to mess with all that other junk if that's the case.

But for the lack of use he is getting (8 IP in the last 30 days), he should just reach back and let it go.

But it's the other stuff that gets hit, so it's a bad choice.

LoveYourSuit
07-18-2009, 09:38 PM
But it's the other stuff that gets hit, so it's a bad choice.

Which end result does not make him the closer he once was if he has to depend on that junk.

The Sox need to keep a careful eye here because Jenks is getting to that crossroad where it will get very expensive when it comes to arbitration $$$.

thedudeabides
07-18-2009, 09:39 PM

You have got to be ****ing kidding me. Nobody gets less of a free pass around here than Jenks. He gets lambasted on this site every time he gives up multiple base runners, let alone runs, or a blown save. In fact, it drives me nuts. Over the last five seasons he has been one of the most consistent and reliable closers in the game. Every time he hits a rough patch people are screaming to trade him, and there were people talking about sending him down this year after a blown save. What a joke.

And for those who say he's easily replaceable, I guess you just don't watch many other baseball teams. A lack of a quality closer has cost a bunch of teams a playoff spot the last few years alone. There are teams who have been looking for a closer for a decade, and if we get rid of Bobby, we very well may be one of them. Look at the crazy contracts the Reds, Blue Jays, and Mets have recently thrown at closers because the back end of their bullpens were decimating seasons. The bottom line is if Bobby goes, the Sox get weaker.

I am just sick and tired of reading about how bad he is every time he gives up a run. I've said it before, as far as the American League goes, I would take Papelbon, Rivera, and Nathan over him. That's it. He has been a huge strength of this team since he has arrived. And nothing kills a team worse than watching a lead dissapear in the ninth time and time again. We've seen what happens to Dotel and Linebrink try and close. We have no idea how Thornton would do as a closer, when he would face mainly right handed hitters. Whoever said call Link up to replace him, just wow. The Sox haven't even called him up to pitch in middle relief. Saving games in Birmingham is a long way off from protecting a one run lead against the middle of an American league linueup in front of 40,000 people.

I'm sorry for the rant, it's just exhausting having to read this all over WSI whenever he has a bad outing.

Chicken Dinner
07-18-2009, 09:52 PM
I do believe the job of the closer is to finish the game with their team having more runs than the other team. It would be nice if they never gave back a run or two, but as long as our lead is larger than the amount of runs the closer gives up, he has done his job.

Once again, if you think it is acceptable for our closer to give up 2 runs and put the tying run on base, you definition of good baseball is different than mine.

guillensdisciple
07-18-2009, 09:54 PM
I love it when the White Sox win!

1.5 games back and 4 games over. i remember when things looked bleak, and people thought the season was over. There is time left, and this team can do it. If we make the playoffs with the schedule we have, we might make a hell of a playoff run.

Martinigirl
07-18-2009, 09:56 PM
Once again, if you think it is acceptable for our closer to give up 2 runs and put the tying run on base, you definition of good baseball is different than mine.

I expect winning baseball, and that is what I got.

chisox77
07-18-2009, 10:03 PM
Let's get the sweep tomorrow - fatten up a little.

LoveYourSuit
07-18-2009, 10:06 PM

I agree.

It's playing with fire and eventually it will come up and bite you and lose a game.

Chicken Dinner
07-18-2009, 10:15 PM
I expect winning baseball, and that is what I got.

I expect good baseball, and that's what we pay these guys for! If you think earned runs, pathetic stirkeouts, is good baseball, well, I don't no what you see. The Chicago White Sox are paying someone $550,000 dollars for a guy to bat .191. I like it when they win, but I don't understand why players can't do what they are paid to do.

WhiteSox1989
07-18-2009, 10:35 PM
Good day at the ballpark again. Beckham is a stud. And Tigers lost!

cheezheadsoxfan
07-18-2009, 10:43 PM
As long as you take into account the lower quality every day line up (with Fields at 3rd base) that would make our team worse for 80% of the schedule where Halladay is not pitching. Giving up Beckham for the 12 starts we'd get from Halladay this season isn't worth it to me.
:yup:

Noneck
07-18-2009, 11:09 PM
Winning a series is always good and Sox started the second half that way. But with the schedule coming up, a sweep is really needed. The Twinks are tailgating.

Shoeless_Jeff
07-18-2009, 11:13 PM
Mark Buehrle... nuff said.

PeteWard
07-18-2009, 11:25 PM

Please consult a dictionary for the definition of "irony".

Frater Perdurabo
07-18-2009, 11:56 PM
At this point, simply "winning the series" would be a letdown. "Winning the three-game series" is acceptable when you've lost one of the first two games. But if you've won the first two games, you can't be satisfied dropping the third game, you need to go for the sweep. Let's hope they get that sweep!

soxfanreggie
07-19-2009, 12:06 AM
I don't care how we win them right now, as long as we win them. Jenks had an off night. I am willing to chalk it up to that and move on to focusing on what we need to do to win tomorrow.

hawkjt
07-19-2009, 12:17 AM
Gordo hitting .403 his last 18 games? Priceless. Not squaring it up? He squares it up more than any other hitter on the team.
I can't wait for him to get up to bat. I look forward most to watching Pods and Beckham hit most lately.

Jenks is having in his mid-season bumps..big deal. He will be fine.
Finish the job tomorrow,please,Sox...

Mohoney
07-19-2009, 12:28 AM
Jenks had an off night. I am willing to chalk it up to that and move on to focusing on what we need to do to win tomorrow.

Agreed. The guy hadn't pitched at all this week. Let's cut him some slack on this particular bad night.

Brian26
07-19-2009, 12:30 AM
Please consult a dictionary for the definition of "irony".

Considering there have been three pages of whining about Jenks in this thread previous to my comment, I used "ironically" perfectly within the context of this discussion.

MtGrnwdSoxFan
07-19-2009, 12:39 AM
At this point, simply "winning the series" would be a letdown. "Winning the three-game series" is acceptable when you've lost one of the first two games. But if you've won the first two games, you can't be satisfied dropping the third game, you need to go for the sweep. Let's hope they get that sweep!

Hopefully Ozzie forgets to trot out his patented "Sunday Lineup" tomorrow. That's the only way we'll pull the sweep out.

flo-B-flo
so I only caught the end. Exciting game......Jenks made it TOO exciting. Buehrle, two runners thrown out at home, nice many hit inning for once. Bring on the tough schedule. It'll show if they have the nuts to contend for this thing.

flo

LoveYourSuit
Considering there have been three pages of whining about Jenks in this thread previous to my comment, I used "ironically" perfectly within the context of this discussion.

"whining" does not equal "concern"

Consult a dictionary for that too.

Patrick134
07-19-2009, 12:44 AM
"whining" does not equal "concern"

Consult a dictionary for that too.

Concern turns to whining pretty quickly on this board though.

FielderJones
07-19-2009, 12:53 AM
Concern turns to whining pretty quickly on this board though.

I can rarely tell the difference. People want to ship one guy or another out of town all the time. To me, if you can't enjoy a win, it's whining. Concern should happen after losses.

JB98
07-19-2009, 01:16 AM
The White Sox are now 41-1 when leading after eight innings. Let me bold that again for emphasis: 41-1.

That record is strong evidence that the White Sox closer is doing his job.

I guess Jenks made your little hearts go pitter-patter today. I don't care. Bobby Jenks has 142 saves, including five in the playoffs, over the last four years. He's my guy in the ninth inning, and he should be yours too.

Do we have to have a thread about Jenks every time he fails to retire the side in order? He "almost lost" today, but he didn't. So don't worry about it.

october23sp
07-19-2009, 01:25 AM
The White Sox are now 41-1 when leading after eight innings. Let me bold that again for emphasis: 41-1.

That record is strong evidence that the White Sox closer is doing his job.

I guess Jenks made your little hearts go pitter-patter today. I don't care. Bobby Jenks has 142 saves, including five in the playoffs, over the last four years. He's my guy in the ninth inning, and he should be yours too.

Do we have to have a thread about Jenks every time he fails to retire the side in order? He "almost lost" today, but he didn't. So don't worry about it.

I agree, although he should just stay away from that slider. His fastball and curveball are his bread and butter, keep throwing it. I think that's all he threw in the 2 strikeouts he had today and most of the hits came off a hanging slider.

As a closer, there is nothing wrong with only having two great pitches.

ChiSoxGirl
07-19-2009, 03:13 AM
kM7C_yNlCLU

I love him, too! My friend in West Palm Beach has Burehrle on his fantasy team and texted me afterwards to comment on how automatic Buehrle is and how he got himself another win this afternoon. I texted him back with comments about the game and ended with "I <3 Mark Buehrle."

VenturaFan23
07-19-2009, 09:38 AM
Dye's HR ball went off my fingertips after the first bounce! I jumped as high as I could, but didn't get it and fell over instead. :angry::whiner: