PDA

View Full Version : Perceived Tribune Bias

34rancher
07-18-2009, 10:01 AM
Somewhere he is salivating (and right)....
Anyone still think there is not Tribune influence to promote the cubs?
Derrick Lee: 2 Home Runs 7 Rbi's......Front of the online Trib and sports pages.
Paul Konerko...3 Hr and 7 rbi's....side story on sports site.
Jim Thome: 2 hr, 7 rbi's...Also ran story under Obama on the side while running main story about cub injuries...

Yeah, no media bias at all

rocky biddle
07-18-2009, 10:10 AM
PK had the full back page of the Trib the day after he hit the three bombs.

Craig Grebeck
07-18-2009, 10:13 AM
Who cares?

DumpJerry
07-18-2009, 10:14 AM
Jim Thome: 2 hr, 7 rbi's...Also ran story under Obama on the side while running main story about cub injuries...

Calm down.

You might want to get the print edition. I get the home delivery broadsheet edition. Thome is the dominant story on the front page of sports.

Brian26
07-18-2009, 02:20 PM
Somewhere he is salivating (and right)....
Anyone still think there is not Tribune influence to promote the cubs?
Derrick Lee: 2 Home Runs 7 Rbi's......Front of the online Trib and sports pages.
Paul Konerko...3 Hr and 7 rbi's....side story on sports site.

I changed the title of the thread to something more appropriate to the discussion; no disrespect intended.

DrCrawdad
07-18-2009, 10:36 PM
Here are a few pertinent comments by the former Cubune public editor:

“I also have lived with my conscience long enough to know that (one Sox fan’s) complaints wouldn’t trouble me so much if I were absolutely sure they were groundless. But the fact is that reporting on an issue in which my company has financial interests is bound to be DIFFERENT than reporting on one in which the company has no interest. And if anybody ever tells you otherwise, check to see that your wallet is still in your pocket.”

“…The realities of modern corporate life put them into an inherently conflicted situation. The most they can do is disclose the conflict. After that, it’s up to the reader/viewer to follow the age-old caution: Let the buyer beware.” - Cubune public editor, 2005

Here's a comment by the NY Times:

“A corporate mentality needn’t be imposed by direct fiat; it’s a virus that metastasizes in the bureaucratic bloodstream.” - New York Times, July 10, 2005

Domeshot17
07-18-2009, 11:33 PM
The Cubs are a far more popular team than the Sox

The Cubs also have 1000x more of the douchebag fans then us that show up to party and get trashed and drink beer in the bleachers but couldnt tell you who is on the mound

The Tribune for now, and for a long time before, owns the Cubs

Ok, if anyone has half a brain, and can add that up and understand, we can put it to rest and move on.

Parrothead
07-19-2009, 12:34 AM
Who cares?

Goodwill cares ! :D:

WhiteSox1989
07-19-2009, 01:17 AM
To me, I kind of like that we're the underdogs.

Year after year the Sox surprise, and I'm okay with that.

Tom~Attitude
07-19-2009, 10:12 AM
On WGN-AM radio the morning after the All Star Game...White Sox pitcher, Mark Buehrle, made an appearance, but only threw nine pitches.
That was it!...Sounds like he pitched so poorly that he got yanked or something?

34rancher
07-19-2009, 10:14 AM

The Cubs also have 1000x more of the douchebag fans then us that show up to party and get trashed and drink beer in the bleachers but couldnt tell you who is on the mound

Ok, if anyone has half a brain, and can add that up and understand, we can put it to rest and move on.

Sorry Dome, I don't get this mentality. I would think that the more people that complain and more people that give the tribune a different opinion about the Sox, the more the "perception" of fans being so different would change. Just a thought.
And for the record, I see way more sox gear around than I do the other team.

Craig Grebeck
07-19-2009, 10:26 AM
Sorry Dome, I don't get this mentality. I would think that the more people that complain and more people that give the tribune a different opinion about the Sox, the more the "perception" of fans being so different would change. Just a thought.
Unless you live inside USCF, I don't see how that's possible. Are they more popular? Yes. Does it matter? Not at all.

34rancher
07-19-2009, 10:43 AM
Unless you live inside USCF, I don't see how that's possible. Are they more popular? Yes. Does it matter? Not at all.

I live in the NW burbs, and I am telling you, sox gear is everywhere. My wife even noticed it. It is like they are embarrassed to be wearing gear or are done with them.

DumpJerry
07-19-2009, 11:05 AM
Unless you live inside USCF, I don't see how that's possible.
It's possible because it's true. Come on down to Chicago sometime and walk around downtown, you will see mostly Sox stuff (unless there's a Cub home game and you see their peeps going to the subway to get to the game).

Same thing on the North Side, lots 'o Sox stuff on the street.

BainesHOF
07-19-2009, 11:09 AM
On WGN-AM radio the morning after the All Star Game...White Sox pitcher, Mark Buehrle, made an appearance, but only threw nine pitches.
That was it!...Sounds like he pitched so poorly that he got yanked or something?

Count me among those who think the Tribune is biased. But the Tribune is nothing compared to WGN-AM. It's complete one-sided coverage, even for a flagship station, is an embarrassment.

Domeshot17
07-19-2009, 12:48 PM

They never will.

If the tribue owned McDonalds, do you think they would run more Mcdonalds ads or Burger king? What if all the Burger King employees complained?

If the Tribune owned Nascar, would you expect more nascar coverage or indy car?

If the Tribune owned Sony Records, would you expect articles on more Sony Artists or MGM?

It is business. If you want to complain on coverage do it on ESPN, the Sun Times, Sports Illustrated etc. But the tribune owned the Cubs. The Cubs ARE more popular, there are MORE Cub Fans. That is just business. The only way this will change is if Zell buys the Sox. Do you really want that? Do you really want all the comes with being a Cub fan?

Thatguyoverthere
07-19-2009, 02:44 PM
I'm a counselor at a sports camp, and my team was 6/9 Sox fans if you counted me. I also saw plenty of little Sox fans running around. It warmed my heart to see so many future White Sox die-hards. With Obama being a Sox fan and with that recent World Series win, I feel like we will see more White Sox fans than we're used to with the younger generation.

Shoeless_Jeff
07-19-2009, 08:27 PM
The Tribune has served me well for years... as bird cage liner.

DrCrawdad
07-19-2009, 08:31 PM

On WGN Radio, especially in the morning, they color things as negative as they can about the Sox. They'll be sure to emphasize that the Sox got whipped on Sunday.

Frater Perdurabo
07-19-2009, 10:23 PM
On WGN Radio, especially in the morning, they color things as negative as they can about the Sox. They'll be sure to emphasize that the Sox got whipped on Sunday.

I at least understand reading the Tribune for news, as it is the largest of just two major metro daily papers in the market.

But why would anyone listen to WGN when there are so many other radio stations in Chicago?

tebman
07-19-2009, 10:28 PM
This is bone we've chewed on for a long time. Of course the Tribune, WGN radio, WGN-TV, CLTV, Hoy, Chicago Magazine, and Tribune Media Services all shill for the Cubs. They're all in the same company.

Where we get into treadmill-like disputes is whether individual stories are shaped to cast the best light on the Cubs. I don't think they are, but that's not the point. The Tribune company is a marketing organization and they've used the Cubs as a marketing vehicle for 25 years.

But it's all moot anyway. The company is bankrupt, so where has it gotten them? They wanted more, more, more, and they drove the company into a ditch by their overreaching.

Let them have their crumbling singles bar. I'm a baseball fan, which in Chicago means I'm a Sox fan. :thumbsup:

DrCrawdad
07-19-2009, 10:51 PM
I at least understand reading the Tribune for news, as it is the largest of just two major metro daily papers in the market.

But why would anyone listen to WGN when there are so many other radio stations in Chicago?

AM is kind of a wasteland, as FM is largely static here at the Crawdad Hole (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BFPSKB99Anw).

central44
07-19-2009, 10:57 PM
To me, I kind of like that we're the underdogs.

Year after year the Sox surprise, and I'm okay with that.

I definitley agree, its fun to be the underdog. I'm glad that there are more Cub fans than Sox fans. That said though, there is a Cubs bias in the Tribube, and there have been countless examples of it over the years to the point where we're all familiar with it.

I wouldn't mind it so much if the Cubs just got more coverage, but I wish it would at least be fair. In 07, the Cubs win 85 games and the Trib has them going to the World Series. In 08, the Sox are in first and on pace to win 90+ games (before losing CQ, along with Crede and Jose) and the Tribune has them labeled as a pretender who aren't good enough to hold off Minnesota, while the Cubs are the best team in baseball. I don't understand why they couldn't just say that we had two really good teams last year.

Even that commercial on CSN I always see, with the creepy fans fighting over a newspaper that has the Tribunes preseason predictions--"Cubs 95-67, first place NL Central, White Sox 74-88, Last Place AL Central"--prominently displayed seems awfully biased to me, like a way of saying, "don't worry about the Sox all you bandwagoners, this year you need to be a Cubs fan!"

I'm sorry, I know i'm ranting. For whatever reason, this is one of those issues that just gets me going.

Madscout
07-20-2009, 12:33 PM
My .02 on WGN. To be frank, besides the baseball games (I will catch a bit of a Cubs game if I need some baseball and it is the only thing on) , and SCRUBS, I don't watch WGN, because it is actually a horrible station. AMF, Bob and Tom? Please.

As far as the radio, I grew up with that stuff. My dad listened to it all the time when I was a kid, and I grew up with such mainstays as Spike O'Dell and catching Paul Harveys "rest of the stories". It isn't bad as most of today's AM stations, where all you can get is political blathering, and bad sports radio, and I would much rather listen to them than Mike North.

RedHeadPaleHoser
07-20-2009, 01:20 PM
They're the organization that believes large backloaded contracts wins WS.

4 years into that equation, they're further away now than they were the last 2 seasons.

The internal finger pointing in the Cub organization has begun as to who did what and why, relating to bad signings, poor trades, etc.

Let the White Sox be under the radar. We won a WS doing it; my bet is we'll win another WAY before the Cubs will.

Hitmen77
07-22-2009, 10:04 AM

I live in the NW burbs, and I am telling you, sox gear is everywhere. My wife even noticed it. It is like they are embarrassed to be wearing gear or are done with them.

It's possible because it's true. Come on down to Chicago sometime and walk around downtown, you will see mostly Sox stuff (unless there's a Cub home game and you see their peeps going to the subway to get to the game).

Same thing on the North Side, lots 'o Sox stuff on the street.

The Cubs are still more popular (and it doesn't matter at all), just like Grebeck said. But, the others do have a point. Even out here in Cub-loving Naperville I see approx. just as many people with Sox gear as Cubs gear nowadays. I also notice this downtown or when I'm out somewhere like Brookfield Zoo.

I guess the point is that, even though the Cubs still have the bigger fan base, there are a lot of Sox fans and plenty of interest in the Sox here too. So, some media sources should stop covering the Sox as if they deserve minimal or negative coverage because supposedly so few people are interested in them.

Orta 4-6-3
07-22-2009, 10:53 AM
Count me among those who think the Tribune is biased. But the Tribune is nothing compared to WGN-AM. It's complete one-sided coverage, even for a flagship station, is an embarrassment.

I completely agree; 'GN is WAY worse than the Tribune. Here's an example that still frosts me.

The only show I listen to on that station is Milt Rosensberg's. They have news headlines on the half hour, and they always mention the Cubs first, even if they had the day off, and give more details. Except that I happened to be listening the night in '06 when the Sox were mathematically eliminated, and the newscaster took great pains to let the listeners know that "the 2005 World Series winners were eliminated and will not repeat as Champions". I think the devoted more verbage to the Sox in that one newscast than they had all year.

The problem with the media bias is not so much volume (there are more Cub fans, so more Cub stories makes sense business-wise) as tone.

FielderJones
07-22-2009, 03:12 PM
http://exhibits.baseballhalloffame.org/dressed_to_the_nines/images/nl_1903_chicago.gif
Look at that Cubune C on the 1903 Cubs uniform. There's all the proof you need.
/hangar

sullythered
07-22-2009, 03:19 PM
Come to the Oak Lawn/Evergreen Park/Beverly/Mount Greenwood area. You will see WAY more Sox stuff than flubbie gear.

white sox bill
07-22-2009, 04:01 PM
As much as I agree w/the bias, I did see one small exception to all this. About 5 yrs ago I was at the Omni 41 in Shuerville (sp?) Indiana and picked up whatever newspaper they had laying around. In the standings, in AL Central, the Sox were listed as such in bold letters. That other team(cubs)were listed as "Chicago", just like that in the NL Central. I can't recall what the paper was, but I'm sure it was a NW Indiana one.

Kudos to them!!

russ99
07-22-2009, 11:44 PM

Yeah, but of late the Sun-Times has been doing it too, as if they'll steal some Trib readership by turning into another Cubbie mouthpiece...

Hitmen77
07-23-2009, 08:32 PM

I wonder how they're going to spin today's game. :cool:

DrCrawdad
07-23-2009, 08:37 PM

As I'm grilling I had on WGN Sports Central, Cubbie fans are calling in complaining about the Sox talk. It's shocking to their ears to hear talk about Sox baseball that's not snearing comments about attendance and/or other negative things about the Sox.

white sox bill
07-24-2009, 07:28 AM
Once in a great while I'll visit NorthSide Baseball.com. Not a lot of love over there for MB, surprise...one poster wrote and I'm paraphrasing "I hope he tests positive for PED's and contracts HIV" Stay classy cub fans...

white sox bill
07-24-2009, 07:31 AM

"And in a act of extreme shelfishness, Chicago pitcher MB only allows the minimum amount of batters for Tampa Bay."

TomBradley72
07-24-2009, 08:15 AM
Well all of the Buehrle is the "White Sox version of Greg Maddux" crap is pretty annoying.

RedHeadPaleHoser
07-24-2009, 08:16 AM
"And in a act of extreme shelfishness, Chicago pitcher MB only allows the minimum amount of batters for Tampa Bay."

Now now...the Cubune headline thread is a WSI treasure. :cool:

Who cares what the Cubs think? Why waste the energy?

TornLabrum
07-24-2009, 08:33 AM
Well all of the Buehrle is the "White Sox version of Greg Maddux" crap is pretty annoying.

There's one big difference. When the time came for Buehrle to either be signed or become a free agent, the Sox actually signed Buehrle.

DrCrawdad
07-24-2009, 08:37 AM
Once in a great while I'll visit NorthSide Baseball.com. Not a lot of love over there for MB, surprise...one poster wrote and I'm paraphrasing "I hope he tests positive for PED's and contracts HIV" Stay classy cub fans...

At BleedCubbieBlue they went with the always popular (and apparently acceptable) racist tinged remarks:

That's only because you can drive around Wriglyville at night while honking without fear of being carjacked or shot at. - by santoswoodenlegs

you dont need to be honking around the cell...to get shot or carjacked - by jesus christos

You don't even really need a car. - by Blue W

Mendoza Line
07-24-2009, 09:26 AM

I know Bernstein, in the post game show, emphatically and repeatedly stated that it wasn't the most dominant pitching performance he had ever seen. His choice? The 20 strike out game in 1998. Seriously...

RedHeadPaleHoser
07-24-2009, 09:37 AM
I know Bernstein, in the post game show, emphatically and repeatedly stated that it wasn't the most dominant pitching performance he had ever seen. His choice? The 20 strike out game in 1998. Seriously...

Yeah I heard that too. I'm also growing tired of his making fun of Hawk (who does overdo it at times) but gives a sweetboy pass to Casper.

SOXPHILE
07-24-2009, 10:48 AM
None of that stuff talked about on WGN (Radio For The Living Dead) is true, and neither are those alleged postings on the Cubs websites. Everyone knows Cub fans don't care or talk about the Sox. It's only Sox fans who care about the Cubs, not vice versa. In fact, all Sox fans would rather see the Cubs lose than the Sox win, and talk about that....

Hitmen77
07-24-2009, 11:46 AM
As I'm grilling I had on WGN Sports Central, Cubbie fans are calling in complaining about the Sox talk. It's shocking to their ears to hear talk about Sox baseball that's not snearing comments about attendance and/or other negative things about the Sox.

The sense of entitlement of many Cub fans is what I really hate about them. The universe should revolve around the beloved Cubs and if the media dares cover something like a Sox perfect game, then they will all :whiner::whiner::whiner:

DSpivack
07-24-2009, 12:36 PM

He's being compared to one of the greatest pitchers of all time, who anchored a Braves dynasty? Fine by me.

TDog
07-24-2009, 12:57 PM

Only Cubs fans think of Maddux as a Cub. To most baseball fans, he is a former Braves great who played for other teams, briefly.

Comparisons to Maddux have been made nationally since Buehrle found success as a starter in 2001. I have heard it being made in California this season before the perfect game. If you were comparing Buehrle to a pitcher who managed just 30 career wins instead of more than 300, you might have reason to be upset.

As for claiming that Wood's 20-strikeout game might remain the most dominant game someone has ever seen pitched, it is inappropriate under the circumstance. You might talk about Buehrle being more dominant on a given day. You might even talk about other dominant games pitched by the team. But in Chicago especially, it's inappropriate to talk about a Cubs pitching performance. After Zambrano's no-hitter last year, it would have been inappropriate to talk about Sabbathia being more dominant in his previous start, even if he didn't pitch a no-hitter.

It's Mark Buehrle's day, for Frith's sake.

slavko
07-24-2009, 01:20 PM

And this is bad how?

Heard the same on Chicago Tribune Live. Kaplan seemed to be choking back tears as he tried to give credit to MB. Really, really 20 K's and one scratch hit is a dominating performance. Maybe better than a perfect game? I know that after a perfect game is not the time to bring it up.

tebman
07-24-2009, 01:33 PM
Only Cubs fans think of Maddux as a Cub. To most baseball fans, he is a former Braves great who played for other teams, briefly.

Comparisons to Maddux have been made nationally since Buehrle found success as a starter in 2001. I have heard it being made in California this season before the perfect game. If you were comparing Buehrle to a pitcher who managed just 30 career wins instead of more than 300, you might have reason to be upset.

As for claiming that Wood's 20-strikeout game might remain the most dominant game someone has ever seen pitched, it is inappropriate under the circumstance. You might talk about Buehrle being more dominant on a given day. You might even talk about other dominant games pitched by the team. But in Chicago especially, it's inappropriate to talk about a Cubs pitching performance. After Zambrano's no-hitter last year, it would have been inappropriate to talk about Sabbathia being more dominant in his previous start, even if he didn't pitch a no-hitter.

It's Mark Buehrle's day, for Frith's sake.

Well put. Maddux was a Braves pitcher who started his career with the Cubs and pitched briefly for them at the end of his career. The Buehrle/Maddux comparisons are legit -- if Mark keeps pitching for another 6-8 years (which he hints he might not), he'll be in Maddux's statistical neighborhood. If he kept pitching for ten years (which he probably could if he chose to) it's conceiveable that he could get 300 wins. Maddux was a great pitcher and so is Mark Buehrle.

But it's simply amazing (in the words of George Knue) that the yakkers on Chicago Tribune Live spent time waxing poetic about Kerry Wood's game from 11 years ago in the wake of Buehrle's perfect game: Mark Buehrle had a good day, but how about that Kerry Wood? Aren't the Cubs just swell!

I was lucky enough to be at the game yesterday and came home and set up to tape the evening replay of the game on CSN. The Tribune shill-fest was on before the rebroadcast and I heard these sycophants go on about Kerry Wood's game after acknowledging the Sox. Even bankruptcy can't stop these guys.

DSpivack
07-24-2009, 01:50 PM
Well put. Maddux was a Braves pitcher who started his career with the Cubs and pitched briefly for them at the end of his career. The Buehrle/Maddux comparisons are legit -- if Mark keeps pitching for another 6-8 years (which he hints he might not), he'll be in Maddux's statistical neighborhood. If he kept pitching for ten years (which he probably could if he chose to) it's conceiveable that he could get 300 wins. Maddux was a great pitcher and so is Mark Buehrle..

Buehrle in his career has a been a very good, though not quite great, pitcher. Quite possibly my 2nd favorite player to put on a Sox uniform ever, behind Frank Thomas. But he's not even close to being Greg Maddux, one of the best ever.

Hitmen77
07-24-2009, 01:51 PM

...or they could say "Buehrle's perfect game is quite a feat, but it's only the 2nd in franchise history. In fact, the Sox have gone almost 90 years since their last perfect game."

TommyJohn
07-24-2009, 02:27 PM
...or they could say "Buehrle's perfect game is quite a feat, but it's only the 2nd in franchise history. In fact, the Sox have gone almost 90 years since their last perfect game."

Morrissey: Cub perfect game celebration would make Sox one seem small, further proof that this is a Cub town

Buehrle gets congratulatory call from Nation's Number 1 White Sox fan William Ligue

34rancher
07-24-2009, 05:02 PM
Well put. Maddux was a Braves pitcher who started his career with the Cubs and pitched briefly for them at the end of his career. The Buehrle/Maddux comparisons are legit -- if Mark keeps pitching for another 6-8 years (which he hints he might not), he'll be in Maddux's statistical neighborhood. If he kept pitching for ten years (which he probably could if he chose to) it's conceiveable that he could get 300 wins. Maddux was a great pitcher and so is Mark Buehrle.

But it's simply amazing (in the words of George Knue) that the yakkers on Chicago Tribune Live spent time waxing poetic about Kerry Wood's game from 11 years ago in the wake of Buehrle's perfect game: Mark Buehrle had a good day, but how about that Kerry Wood? Aren't the Cubs just swell!

I was lucky enough to be at the game yesterday and came home and set up to tape the evening replay of the game on CSN. The Tribune shill-fest was on before the rebroadcast and I heard these sycophants go on about Kerry Wood's game after acknowledging the Sox. Even bankruptcy can't stop these guys.
It doesn't stop there for them. Their other owned entities ( http://www.chicagonow.com/blogs/david-kaplan-chicago-sports/2009/07/kerry-woods-20-strikeout-game-vs-mark-buehrles-perfect-game-which-was-more-impressive.html ) are also trying to make it about them. I had a big disagreement with a friend that Buehrle's was far more impressive. No one even mentions that Wood had a balk that game too.

white sox bill
07-24-2009, 05:06 PM
Morrissey: Cub perfect game celebration would make Sox one seem small, further proof that this is a Cub town

Buehrle gets congratulatory call from Nation's Number 1 White Sox fan William Ligue
Dare I mention the famous or infamous thread entitled: "You write Todays Cubune Headline"?

TommyJohn
07-24-2009, 05:19 PM
Dare I mention the famous or infamous thread entitled: "You write Todays Cubune Headline"?I was reading what was said about the PG, and I harkened back to the old days.

cub killer
07-24-2009, 06:33 PM
At BleedCubbieBlue they went with the always popular (and apparently acceptable) racist tinged remarks:

What a bunch of idiots. Once again, cub fans argue things that have nothing to do with baseball. They have serious issues.

Besides, I've been in Bridgeport at all hours of night and never seen or sensed any crime. If anyone is out late, they're usually just chattin' on the porch enjoying the late night breeze.

DrCrawdad
07-24-2009, 07:53 PM
What a bunch of idiots. Once again, cub fans argue things that have nothing to do with baseball. They have serious issues.

Besides, I've been in Bridgeport at all hours of night and never seen or sensed any crime. If anyone is out late, they're usually just chattin' on the porch enjoying the late night breeze.

The Cell being in a ghetto with drive-bys and crime - when those smears are discussed I usually point out that there is a racist tinge to those comments. However they often retreat to, "It's not racist...It's just your perception." I've heard them from loud-mouthed Cubbie fans enough thru the years to know it when I hear it.

Hitmen77
07-24-2009, 10:15 PM

:roflmao:

cub killer
07-24-2009, 10:45 PM
The Cell being in a ghetto with drive-bys and crime - when those smears are discussed I usually point out that there is a racist tinge to those comments. However they often retreat to, "It's not racist...It's just your perception." I've heard them from loud-mouthed Cubbie fans enough thru the years to know it when I hear it.

Plus, how about all the racist remarks they've made thru the years. At Dusty Baker, LaTroy Hawkins, etc. I was there once and heard a bunch of fans laughing at Jose Hernandez and Hector Villanueva saying things like "C'mon, amigo! Andale, andale!".

Barack Obama may never admit this, but I bet you that part of the reason he shows the cubs no love (thank God he doesn't) is because he knows of the racism that exists in their fanbase.