thomas35forever
07-17-2009, 10:30 PM
We came out on the winning side.:bandance:

SoxFan1979
07-17-2009, 10:31 PM
Woooo Hoooooo Big Jim hurts them good! :bandance::bandance:

ChiSox89
07-17-2009, 10:31 PM
Wonderful game for Thome. That second homer he hit was a bomb.

ChiSox89
07-17-2009, 10:32 PM
Now, 46-43 and 2.5 behind the Tigers. I really like our chances.

DirtySox
07-17-2009, 10:33 PM
Good to see Gordo hitting at home.

The Orioles are a good offensive team with alot of fun young players. Just wait until next year and beyond when the pitching train of Tillman, Matusz, and Arrieta arrive. They might be a very scary team. Perhaps like the Rays transformation.

Red Barchetta
07-17-2009, 10:33 PM
Nice! ...and the Tiggers lose in the Bronx as well. :bandance:

october23sp
07-17-2009, 10:34 PM
t66uuDdpwaU

tm1119
07-17-2009, 10:35 PM
So when does Carlos come back? Its now apparent that Wise does not belong anywhere near an MLB team. Good to see Thome hitting well though. We are going to need him down the stretch.

Marqhead
07-17-2009, 10:35 PM
http://photos-d.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc1/hs101.snc1/4550_593861709414_20302058_35070035_7079546_n.jpg (http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=34918513&id=20302058)

This deserves another posting. Awesome game for big Jim!

DirtySox
07-17-2009, 10:37 PM
So when does Carlos come back? Its now apparent that Wise does not belong anywhere near an MLB team. Good to see Thome hitting well though. We are going to need him down the stretch.

I'm going to guess he will be back during the Tampa series. Especially if Wise pulls a repeat performance of tonight in the next 1 or 2 games.

Soxman219
Nice way to start the second half. Keep it up tomorrow!

Tragg
Podsednik gets on 5/5 times tonight. He just keeps rolling.

Note that despite Wise having a bad defensive night (even for him), Ozzie refused to replace him in the field in the late innings.
The Orioles are scheduled to throw another right handed pitcher again tomorrow. I'm not sure it's possible for Wise to play poorly enough for Ozzie to pull his main-man from the lineup.

twinsuck
07-17-2009, 10:38 PM
Hey, and the Sox never saw this guy before!! Amazing!! :bandance:

Martinigirl
07-17-2009, 10:42 PM
Great win.

Does anyone know what was going on with Dotel when he was walking off the field? He was chirping at the runner left on third.

JB98
07-17-2009, 10:48 PM
Glad to see the guys come out swinging the bats after a four-day layoff.

Hopefully, the pitching staff gets it together for the rest of the weekend.

BigP50
07-17-2009, 10:50 PM
12 runs to start the 2nd half, i love it!

LoveYourSuit
07-17-2009, 10:55 PM

Great offensive display by the Sox!

As for Wise. He is just god awful at every aspect of this game of baseball. The routes he took on some of those balls today made me think Rob Mackowiak was back on the team :o:

We need Quentin back here ASAP.

LoveYourSuit
07-17-2009, 10:56 PM
12 runs to start the 2nd half, i love it!

Giving up 8 ... I don't like that part.

I hope our pitching kicks it in gear again. We will only win this thing because of our pitching at the end.

Tragg
07-17-2009, 10:59 PM
When Pods and Alexei get on base, runs will score.
None of this solo homer ****.

voodoochile
07-17-2009, 11:03 PM
All the starters save one reached base at least once.

All the starters save two either scored or drove in a run.

Then there was Jim... He had an okay night.

How many runs do they score if it's TCQ instead of Wise? Things that make you go :D:

:soxwin:

:)

LoveYourSuit
07-17-2009, 11:08 PM
How many runs do they score if it's TCQ instead of Wise? Things that make you go :D:

With 8 other guys picking up the slack, you can live with a bad stick down there hitting 9th. But no letdowns can come from that guy with the glove. Wise was bad in CF today.

voodoochile
07-17-2009, 11:14 PM
With 8 other guys picking up the slack, you can live with a bad stick down there hitting 9th. But no letdowns can come from that guy with the glove. Wise was bad in CF today.

I couldn't watch the game - blacked out where I live. People in the GT were freaking out about some of the plays he didn't make, but nothing new there. I look at a line of 0/5 with 7 left stranded and I know Wise had a piss poor night.

I'm not so worried about the defense. I look at a lineup that swaps TCQ for BA/Wise and start to dream about this team scoring over 500 runs the remainder of the season. At that stage of the game, I can live with average defense...

slavko
07-17-2009, 11:15 PM
Great offensive display by the Sox!

As for Wise. He is just god awful at every aspect of this game of baseball. The routes he took on some of those balls today made me think Rob Mackowiak was back on the team :o:

We need Quentin back here ASAP.

Pods is equally awful going back on a ball, but no question Dwayne is dangerous in CF. Say, doesn't he play a little infield?

Tragg
07-17-2009, 11:25 PM
The Sox could have an immediate and signficant upgrade by using a BA/Nix platoon. But that would require admitting that the person identified as a leadoff hitter isn't so "tremendous".

Martinigirl
07-17-2009, 11:29 PM
Pods is equally awful going back on a ball, but no question Dwayne is dangerous in CF. Say, doesn't he play a little infield?

He is batting under .200 and his defense is awful, I don't think we need to find a place for him to play.

dakotasox
07-17-2009, 11:29 PM
I'm going to guess he will be back during the Tampa series. Especially if Wise pulls a repeat performance of tonight in the next 1 or 2 games.

A repeat performance? Why the **** would he get to play ever again? What a joke.

LoveYourSuit
07-17-2009, 11:34 PM

Pods indeed will be as bad if not worse.

But if he hits .300 with an OBP% of .370 at lead off .... that more than compensates for the defense. It also fills a huge need for us, an actual lead off hitter.

I agree with Voodo, a swap of Quentin for BA/Wise would make us a very dangerous line up. Especially if Pods and Alexei keep being the anchors at the top of the order.

LoveYourSuit
07-17-2009, 11:37 PM
A repeat performance? Why the **** would he get to play ever again? What a joke.

The tolerance of putting up with this crap is very upsetting. Same reason why Richard does not deserve another start. I would cut Richard a bit more slack because he is still young, same way we are putting up with Getz.

Wise = no excuse.

Tragg
07-17-2009, 11:38 PM
How did Pena look tonight?

DirtySox
07-17-2009, 11:39 PM

Because it's not my decision unfortunately. :(: (Yet)

WhiteSox1989
07-17-2009, 11:39 PM
Good night at the ballpark, sans the crazy woman screaming how bad Dotel sucks the whole entire time he was pitching.

I was glad to see the sox win at home, and not get lit up.

LoveYourSuit
07-17-2009, 11:42 PM
Good night at the ballpark, sans the crazy woman screaming how bad Dotel sucks the whole entire time he was pitching.

I was glad to see the sox win at home, and not get lit up.

I don't get it.

Dotel has been treated very unfairly during his time here. He is solid in my book.

I am more worried right now about Thornton/Jenks/ Linebrink than I am about Dotel.

Thornton has been awful lately.

pythons007
07-17-2009, 11:44 PM
Wise needs to go. He can't hit and he can't field. I'm tired of him playing a short CF and him running his ass off for a can o corn fly ball. Those two fly balls hit over his head, if played at the right position he would have caught. I'm tired of that ****, not to mention he sucks at the plate. Give Brian Anderson more of a look, at least he can play D!!!

Otherwise thank you Jim Thome for picking up your teammate today!

Martinigirl
I don't get it.

Dotel has been treated very unfairly during his time here. He is solid in my book.

I am more worried right now about Thornton/Jenks/ Linebrink than I am about Dotel.

I think Linebrink is a nightmare.

WhiteSox1989
I don't get it.

I agree 100%.

Pena was solid today though. Very solid.

WhiteSox1989
07-17-2009, 11:46 PM
Wise needs to go. He can't hit and he can't field. I'm tired of him playing a short CF and him running his ass off for a can o corn fly ball. Those two fly balls hit over his head, if played at the right position he would have caught. I'm tired of that ****, not to mention he sucks at the plate. Give Brian Anderson more of a look, at least he can play D!!!

Couple boos today for Wise.

And Getz confuses me.

dakotasox
07-17-2009, 11:47 PM
I don't get it.

Defnitely is very solid for middle relief/set up duty. He gives up a few to many long balls but he is much better than the alternative.

voodoochile
07-17-2009, 11:48 PM
I don't get it.

The only way for relievers to get any credit around these parts is if they post a 0.00 ERA, allow zero inherited runners to score, have no losses, no blown saves/holds and babysit for the posters for free so mom and dad can get a night out on the town.

There simply is no perspective anymore.

Heck the Sox scored 12 runs tonight to open the second half of the season by gaining a game on the first place Kittens and 1/2 the posts in this thread are about Dwayne ****ing Wise who won't even be on the team in another week or if he is will hopefully be seeing limited PT as a 4TH OF and occasional PR. It's pretty freaking sad...:rolleyes:

pythons007
07-17-2009, 11:52 PM
The only way for relievers to get any credit around these parts is if they post a 0.00 ERA, allow zero inherited runners to score, have no losses, no blown saves/holds and babysit for the posters for free so mom and dad can get a night out on the town.

There simply is no perspective anymore.

Heck the Sox scored 12 runs tonight to open the second half of the season by gaining a game on the first place Kittens and 1/2 the posts in this thread are about Dwayne ****ing Wise who won't even be on the team in another week or if he is will hopefully be seeing limited PT as a 4TH OF and occasional PR. It's pretty freaking sad...:rolleyes:

Once that happens with Wise you can say that. He keeps trotting out to CF every game and he keeps playing his little league CF position.

Yes, the 12 runs scored today was awesome, however because of Wise's play, he made the game interesting. The guy is an asshat!

DickAllen72
07-17-2009, 11:53 PM
I agree. Dotel is probably the best bet to bring out of the pen when you really need a strikeout. Every now and then when he doesn't have his stuff he gets hit really hard and gives up the long ball but on the whole he has definitely been an asset to the Sox bullpen.

DickAllen72
07-17-2009, 11:54 PM
And Getz confuses me.
Getz's defense leaves a lot to be desired.

Hitmen77
07-17-2009, 11:57 PM
I couldn't watch the game - blacked out where I live. People in the GT were freaking out about some of the plays he didn't make, but nothing new there. I look at a line of 0/5 with 7 left stranded and I know Wise had a piss poor night.

I'm not so worried about the defense. I look at a lineup that swaps TCQ for BA/Wise and start to dream about this team scoring over 500 runs the remainder of the season. At that stage of the game, I can live with average defense...

Agreed! If Quentin does return soon (and can stay healthy), we would have a very formidable lineup. Not only has Pods been incredible, but Getz and Beckham are coming around too. It'll be interesting to see over the next week or two if all these pieces fall into place (Quentin back, Getz and Beckham continuing their upswing, and our sluggers staying hot).

But, we have to get our pitching back on track too! I know the O's have several guys who always seem to kill us, but giving up 8 runs is not good. I expect a lot better from our top 4 starters and our bullpen.

LoveYourSuit
07-18-2009, 12:01 AM
Getz's defense leaves a lot to be desired.

I'm starting to notice that too.

He is very lazy on some plays too. Makes plays too close than they should be and his throwing is very lacking.

I hope Cora gives him an ear full here soon.

DickAllen72
07-18-2009, 12:01 AM
But, we have to get our pitching back on track too! I know the O's have several guys who always seem to kill us, but giving up 8 runs is not good. I expect a lot better from our top 4 starters and our bullpen.
I'll give the bullpen a pass tonight because of rust due to the four day break.

I still worry about the defense though. If Quentin comes back in good form maybe they can outslug their defensive lapses. I'd feel better if they could shore up that defense however.

Tragg
07-18-2009, 12:06 AM
I just saw Thome's second homer. All I can say is...Mercy!

twinsuck
07-18-2009, 12:10 AM
hey, is it weird I don't really care if Quentin comes back?

Noneck
07-18-2009, 12:13 AM

I guess you missed the circus show in center and at the plate from the Sox centerfielder.

LoveYourSuit
07-18-2009, 12:21 AM

Start caring.

We are going to need him.

If not, Kenny has to go get a ML 3rd OF for this team.

The way the Sox are being aggresive with young players, had Danks not gotten hurt and stayed as hot as he was, he might be playing CF right now. Danks was hotter than Beckham at the time of Gordon's call up.

FielderJones
07-18-2009, 12:22 AM
I know the O's have several guys who always seem to kill us

I was surprised to see Markakis is hitting under .400 against Sox. I thought it would be closer to .600.

hawkjt
07-18-2009, 12:43 AM
More negative comments about the one guy that did not hit than positive comments about the other 8 who did hit enough to put 12 runs on the board...whoa.
I concede that Dwise had a bad nite, but BA has had very few good nites at the plate lately either...just a black hole.
but Gordo and Pods got on base 9 times combined tonite...wow.
If Carlos can come back and plug in...hello..this is going to be some offense on certain nites. Getz,Beckham,Pods,Alexei and AJ are getting their job done and the big boys are also crunching it now...

I give Danks a pass on his struggle,with 2 extra days off..like last friday he had an extra day off...bullpen is given this one also..but need to tighten it up fast. Our big 4 has been the big one(jenks) lately.

TDog
07-18-2009, 01:18 AM

I went out to dinner with the score tied 3-3 in the bottom of the fifth, Podsednik on second and Dye coming up. I thought the White Sox would win, but how much offense they generated was a pleasant surprise.

The quoted post was pretty much what I was inspired to post while reading the game thread.

I know "he suck" passes for analysis around here, but I don't think DeWayne Wise is such a bad outfielder.

However, I don't know why Wise plays so shallow. It is true that the greatest outfielders have always played very shallow. Paul Blair, one of the best defensive centerfielders in the history of the game, played shallower than Wise. (Ken Berry, a Paul Blair contemporary, played much deeper, at least by the time I started following the Sox, and many more balls fell in front of Berry.) Of course, Willie Mays played shallow in his prime. (Watch film of his catch off the Vic Wertz drive over his head in the 1954 World Series. The ball was hit so far over his head because he was playing so shallow in such a deep center field. But Mays taps his fist in his glove before catching the ball. He knew he had it all the way.) They tell you when you're learning to play baseball that it's easier to come in on a ball than go back. That's only half the truth about centerfield. To play the position effectively, you have to play as shallow as your skills allow.

But I've seen Wise play. The problem is he's no Paul Blair. If he has the speed, he doesn't have the other skills he needs to play as shallow as he does. You would think coaches would make it a point to position him deeper. I don't think Wise is a bad outfielder. Last season he was head and shoulders ahead of Nick Swisher defensively. I just think he has an unjustified Paul Blair complex, or perhaps delusions of Paul Blair.

twinsuck
07-18-2009, 01:20 AM
I guess you missed the circus show in center and at the plate from the Sox centerfielder.
Will Scott be any better in center? Just put Brian in center and we'll be just fine. Quentin would be nice, but we can win without him.

october23sp
07-18-2009, 01:30 AM
Will Scott be any better in center? Just put Brian in center and we'll be just fine. Quentin would be nice, but we can win without him.

Yes, Scotty will be better in Center, and are you saying the odd man out is Quentin? THE Carlos Quentin? 36 HRs and 100 RBI in 130 games one year ago Quentin?

guillensdisciple
07-18-2009, 01:51 AM
I love it when the White Sox win!!

october23sp
07-18-2009, 02:00 AM
So when does Scotty Pods become good instead of a fluke?

I have always thought he was good, obviously he's been GREAT, but a lot of people seem to suspect that one day he will just magically not be able to hit ever again.

It's Dankerific
07-18-2009, 02:14 AM
He is batting under .200 and his defense is awful, I don't think we need to find a place for him to play.

You mean other than the starting lineup, tomorrow?

Watch tomorrow's game. Perhaps its the once a week he gets a hit.

Merit has nothing to do with the lineup decisions. you can table that discussion.

Wise is playing worse than BA EVER HAS. Including 2006. Yet somehow, his play is beyond reproach and its sad that people comment on it when he can't even get on base when all of his teammates have.

In the first half of 2006, I seem to remember PLENTY of wins. But, **** aint fair, is it.

I really hope we keep Wise on the team when TCQ comes back. I wouldnt want to risk the other playoff contenders picking him up and making the race easier for us.

HomeFish
07-18-2009, 05:56 AM
I've learned how to life my life without Carlos Quentin. If, one day, he comes back from AAA and starts putting up good numbers again, I certainly won't complain. But I'm not betting ANYTHING on Quentin having another MVP-caliber season. As far as I'm concerned the safe bet is to say that he is washed up.

wassagstdu
07-18-2009, 08:08 AM
I think the left side of the infield is a defensive weakness that the good teams (and the Orioles) will find a way to exploit. Bring Beckham in with a bunt threat and he doesn't have the reactions to handle anything hit hard. And Alexei is just not a sound shortstop. He has very poor range to his right and plays the position like an outfielder, diving and sliding way too often. Getz looks OK to me, allowing for some rookie mistakes. The only postseason-class play in the infield is from Konerko. Maybe the rookies will all solidify, but for this year, I see a big weakness when the chips are down. At this point (and especially in view of the discouraging news about Quentin's return) I would move Alexei to CF, reinstall Fields at 3rd (he showed signs of improvement early in the season then regressed) and move Beckham to short. Whether that helps this year or not, it seems to me to be a better long-term bet.

Brian26
07-18-2009, 08:15 AM
The Sox could have an immediate and signficant upgrade by using a BA/Nix platoon. But that would require admitting that the person identified as a leadoff hitter isn't so "tremendous".

I might be reading this out context, but you'd be willing to substitute BA or Nix in CF for Pods? I wouldn't even consider that, except on a limited basis for rest. Pods has been invaluable.

Brian26
07-18-2009, 08:17 AM
I've learned how to life my life without Carlos Quentin. If, one day, he comes back from AAA and starts putting up good numbers again, I certainly won't complain. But I'm not betting ANYTHING on Quentin having another MVP-caliber season. As far as I'm concerned the safe bet is to say that he is washed up.

I wouldn't say he's washed up, but I see the spirit of your post. He hasn't contributed consistently for this team since last August...coming up on almost a year ago. I'm not expecting the MVP-caliber TCQ to arrive off the DL either.

dakotasox
07-18-2009, 08:41 AM
I might be reading this out context, but you'd be willing to substitute BA or Nix in CF for Pods? I wouldn't even consider that, except on a limited basis for rest. Pods has been invaluable.

Many people including myself would like to see a BA/Nix platoon. Vs. RHP: BA in CF, Pods in LF...Vs. LHP: Pods in CF, Nix in LF

Obviously this is until Quentin returns.

Tragg
07-18-2009, 08:56 AM
No, you start BA against righthanders, Nix against lefties, but you just switch shift Pods to CF when Nix starts. Or perhaps even use Fields in the platoon, although people say that he was worse than C Lee out there.
I say that given the reality that BA must be platooned and that he's probably better against right handed pitchers.

Frater Perdurabo
07-18-2009, 09:56 AM
Many people including myself would like to see a BA/Nix platoon. Vs. RHP: BA in CF, Pods in LF...Vs. LHP: Pods in CF, Nix in LF

Obviously this is until Quentin returns.

No, you start BA against righthanders, Nix against lefties, but you just switch shift Pods to CF when Nix starts. Or perhaps even use Fields in the platoon, although people say that he was worse than C Lee out there.
I say that given the reality that BA must be platooned and that he's probably better against right handed pitchers.

Yes. If you must platoon, this is the way it should be handled until Quentin returns.

bigdommer
07-18-2009, 10:06 AM
Yes, Scotty will be better in Center, and are you saying the odd man out is Quentin? THE Carlos Quentin? 36 HRs and 100 RBI in 130 games one year ago Quentin?

Scotty is average in left and below average in center. While he won't be better in center, his offensive production over Wise/BA makes up for what he lacks on defense. Lets not pretend that Scotty's a better defensive option in CF; you just can take that guy out of the lineup.

balke
07-18-2009, 11:09 AM
Scotty is average in left and below average in center. While he won't be better in center, his offensive production over Wise/BA makes up for what he lacks on defense.

This is a bold statement for this team. Some of the biggest meltdowns in the past few years I've seen on this team come from a single play missed by error or poor play defensively. The flood gates seem to open when the defense slacks off.

I'm really nervous to put Podsednik in CF for an extended period of time. I love what he's doing with his bat, but CF is too important to have someone out there that can't make the big plays. Then again, The Sox survived with Carl Everett out there... so who knows.

bigdommer
07-18-2009, 11:36 AM
This is a bold statement for this team. Some of the biggest meltdowns in the past few years I've seen on this team come from a single play missed by error or poor play defensively. The flood gates seem to open when the defense slacks off.

I'm really nervous to put Podsednik in CF for an extended period of time. I love what he's doing with his bat, but CF is too important to have someone out there that can't make the big plays. Then again, The Sox survived with Carl Everett out there... so who knows.

My guess is that we will not see Pods in CF every game. IF TCQ come back and gets healthy, I bet Ozzie will rest him a few days a week, and he may even DH TCQ against lefties when giving Jimmie a day off. It doesn't solve the problem, but it could work for the rest of the season.

kevingrt
07-18-2009, 11:50 AM
My guess is that we will not see Pods in CF every game. IF TCQ come back and gets healthy, I bet Ozzie will rest him a few days a week, and he may even DH TCQ against lefties when giving Jimmie a day off. It doesn't solve the problem, but it could work for the rest of the season.

Completely agree. Especially after last night's bomb affair I think TCQ will be getting a lot of days off. And we know Ozzie wants Nix on the field as much as possible so expect him to be playing four times a week whether it be 2B, SS, LF, or RF.

Chez
07-18-2009, 02:03 PM
Question: Has the ball Thome hit last night re-entered the Earth's atmosphere yet?

voodoochile
07-18-2009, 02:12 PM
Question: Has the ball Thome hit last night re-entered the Earth's atmosphere yet?

How long was that grand slam? No TV for me but gameday showed it LONG gone...

It's Dankerific
07-18-2009, 02:24 PM
How long was that grand slam? No TV for me but gameday showed it LONG gone...

I just caught the highlight on the iphone but it reminded me of game 163

Chez
07-18-2009, 02:26 PM
I just caught the highlight on the iphone but it reminded me of game 163

I was there for both. Game 163's was higher. Last night's was longer (and still plenty high!). Both were jaw-dropping. They said that last night's bomb traveled 448 -- seemed longer!

bigdommer
07-18-2009, 05:30 PM
I was in a bar in Baltimore, and about a half dozen people just said "holy ****" when the ball was hit. People just looked at each other.

soxfandoug
07-19-2009, 09:01 AM
I was at this game. It was my first ever Sox game in Chicago. I'm glad Jimmy made it memorable! I'm glad I splurged for Scout Seats.

WhiteSox1989
07-19-2009, 09:04 AM
I was in awe after the ball was hit. I've never seen a home run hit that hard in person.

TommyJohn
07-19-2009, 10:52 AM
I was there for both. Game 163's was higher. Last night's was longer (and still plenty high!). Both were jaw-dropping. They said that last night's bomb traveled 448 -- seemed longer!

In old Comiskey it would have been in the centerfield bleachers.