PDA

View Full Version : Draft Picks

LongDistanceFan
06-04-2002, 08:20 PM
how do you rate the draft picks of the sox.......... some of the player selected are a complete surprise and i am not too sure of their ability to play in the bigs.

Randar68
06-04-2002, 08:25 PM
Originally posted by LongDistanceFan
how do you rate the draft picks of the sox.......... some of the player selected are a complete surprise and i am not too sure of their ability to play in the bigs.

In most past years, the players they got this year would warrant an F.

In this weak draft, I still don't think we rate better than a C-. There were some really good players we passed over for wheat everyone else considered to be huge reaches...

LongDistanceFan
06-04-2002, 08:29 PM
Originally posted by Randar68

In most past years, the players they got this year would warrant an F.

In this weak draft, I still don't think we rate better than a C-. There were some really good players we passed over for wheat everyone else considered to be huge reaches...
i know....... that is what boggles me......... i am a huge draft freak...... (any sports).......... but this caught me unaware...... i saw the cat i was looking at in the second round......... instead they went for someone else.

btw randar.......... how did boras player fare?

Vsahajpal
06-04-2002, 08:29 PM

Ring may have been an overdraft at #18, but he wouldn't have been there at 59 so Laumann felt he had to take him. He has the makings of three plus pitches. I've read that he topped out at 94 this year, but typically sat 89-92. I think he has a chance to become an excellent setup man, in the mold of a Steve Kline, though he may throw harder. He'll move thru the system very quickly, I'd imagine he may begin as high as Birmingham if they sign him quickly enough. As he is a reliever, his arm will still be fairly fresh.

LongDistanceFan
06-04-2002, 08:31 PM
Originally posted by Vsahajpal

Ring may have been an overdraft at #18, but he wouldn't have been there at 59 so Laumann felt he had to take him. He has the makings of three plus pitches. I've read that he topped out at 94 this year, but typically sat 89-92. I think he has a chance to become an excellent setup man, in the mold of a Steve Kline, though he may throw harder. He'll move thru the system very quickly, I'd imagine he may begin as high as Birmingham if they sign him quickly enough. As he is a reliever, his arm will still be fairly fresh. when do you sign a player to be a setup man???????

i have always read that you develop a setup man of a reliever.... never to draft one.

btw thanks for your post........ again its great.

Vsahajpal
06-04-2002, 08:46 PM
when do you sign a player to be a setup man???????

i have always read that you develop a setup man of a reliever.... never to draft one.

btw thanks for your post........ again its great.

Well, the reason I like the pick is because Ring figures to be relatively inexpensive, and he'll be up in a hurry to help the club. Normally, you don't draft for need, but in this case it made sense to me. Jeremy Reed is a very good player, maybe not worthy of a 2nd round pick to some experts, but his selection was fine. He's a top of the order hitter.

Ryan Rodriguez is a projectable lefty with plus velocity and good arm speed.

BJ LaMure...I don't know much about him, he's a power arm, projects as a reliever, signability pick. He's from Ronkonkama, NY...the last stop on the Grand Central station line from Manhattan to Long Island I think...this means nothing :)

Chris Getz is a David Eckstein clone at SS.

Todd Deininger, lol, Cubs drafted him in the 5th round in 1999, he's another power arm, high ceiling.

The big fish is 6'8 225 lb Christian Madson, whom the Sox took in the 14th round. This kid has one of the highest ceilings in the entire draft, but fell due to poor performance. He has a plus fastball, reaching 95.

Madson is loaded with physical talent, his most obvious gifts being his 6-foot-8, 225-pound frame, a fastball that has reached 95 mph and a loose, easy delivery. Yet he may not go in the first or even second round because he doesn't go after hitters, throwing too may splitters instead of daring them to hit his heat. He turns it on at showcase events and doesn't compete as well during games. For all his projection, he has fallen out of the first round and may head to Florida if he doesn't get first-round money.

doublem23
06-04-2002, 08:48 PM
Originally posted by Vsahajpal
For all his projection, he has fallen out of the first round and may head to Florida if he doesn't get first-round money.

:reinsy
Bye, bye, Christian.

Randar68
06-04-2002, 08:53 PM
Originally posted by doublem23

Bye, bye, Christian.

well, with the way they drafted the first three rounds, they should have enough $$$$ in the coffers to pay up, whether they do or not is another story!

Jeremy Reed is a very good player, maybe not worthy of a 2nd round pick to some experts, but his selection was fine. He's a top of the order hitter.

In relation to this quote, I would bet $100 he would have been there in the third round.

Daver
06-04-2002, 08:53 PM
Thanx Vic,and quit trying to hide that you are really a Sox fan. :redneck

LongDistanceFan
06-04-2002, 08:54 PM
Originally posted by doublem23

Bye, bye, Christian. mm23 you said it