PDA

View Full Version : Danks' recent troubles

thomas35forever
07-17-2009, 10:28 PM
Tonight was the second straight outing in which Danks was less than stellar. This isn't the first time he's had back-to-back clunkers this year (though I'll admit he came back nicely in Minny). Maybe I'm overreacting, but I'm just pointing out that if this happens too often and we acquire a starter, we may still have a hole. I'm just saying Danks needs to get his consistency back.

DirtySox
07-17-2009, 10:33 PM
If our starting pitchers with clunkers only give up 3 runs in an outing we are doing fine. Before these last 2 starts he had an extended stretch of great starts. Sometimes pitchers just don't have it. Especially young ones. Nothing to lose sleep over.

SoxSpeed22
07-17-2009, 10:42 PM
Danks is a month older than me (24) with 2.5 years of Major League experience. These things happen with young pitchers.
He's got great off-speed stuff and that changeup can be devastating at times. There are times when he depends too much on his changeup. His curveball is not there yet. I think that he is still trying to find the right balance. His release point is also on and off. He has shown flashes what he can do, but I think that he can and will put it together.

JB98
07-17-2009, 11:19 PM
Danks wasn't good tonight, but I'm not concerned at all.

Demps2
07-17-2009, 11:36 PM
I'm not terribly concerned about Danks. He battles, even when he doesn't pitch well. However, I am concerned that this pitching staff is being exposed by better offenses. During that 7 game W streak, we pitched well but played a bunch of teams that can't hit. (cubs, Tribe, Royals) I realize this all started vs. CLE, but that was Richard.

LoveYourSuit
07-17-2009, 11:51 PM
If our starting pitchers with clunkers only give up 3 runs in an outing we are doing fine. Before these last 2 starts he had an extended stretch of great starts. Sometimes pitchers just don't have it. Especially young ones. Nothing to lose sleep over.

Problem is that we have not had a quality start in the last 5 outings by our staff. SP has been awful. Bullpen not too far behind it.

Pitching needs to get it together, the offene can only do so much during this grinding schedule coming up.

hawkjt
07-18-2009, 01:30 AM
Last friday's start Danks was working on an extra days rest and came out not sharp. tonite he was working on 2 extra days rest and was not sharp.

Not worried. Get him back on his regular schedule and he will be fine.

TDog
07-18-2009, 01:38 AM
If I were one to overreact, I'd be worried too.

gobears1987
07-18-2009, 01:40 AM
I'm not terribly concerned about Danks. He battles, even when he doesn't pitch well. However, I am concerned that this pitching staff is being exposed by better offenses. During that 7 game W streak, we pitched well but played a bunch of teams that can't hit. (cubs, Tribe, Royals) I realize this all started vs. CLE, but that was Richard.Cleveland is definitely a team that can hit. It's their pitching that is keeping them from contending this year.

BadBobbyJenks
07-18-2009, 02:13 AM
When he leaves the change up it gets hit. Simple as that. The last person I will worry about is Buehrle, and Danks is not far behind.

Shoeless_Jeff
07-18-2009, 02:36 AM
Danks is still a young pitcher and is just getting started. I fully expect great things from him.

Bobby Thigpen
07-18-2009, 12:19 PM
SP has been awful. Bullpen not too far behind it.

Pitching needs to get it together, the offene can only do so much during this grinding schedule coming up.
Overreact much?

spawn
07-18-2009, 12:23 PM
Overreact much?
Always.

bigdommer
07-18-2009, 12:42 PM
Danks made a tough pitcher's pitch to one of the best young hitters in the game who hooked it 326 feet with his bottom hand. One pitch, that's it. And it wasn't even a bad pitch. He's 4-2 over his past 7 starts giving up a total of 13 earned runs. And those two losses were quality starts with no run support. This thread can be closed.

hawkjt
07-18-2009, 03:54 PM
Cooper said today that Danks has a little bit of a finger issue...I assume that means a blister or something and not just middle fingering his teammates:D:
So...he will be fine when the finger gets better.

LoveYourSuit
07-18-2009, 04:47 PM
Overreact much?

Just pointing out that our pitching has sucked that last 5 games. Just a fact. No overrection, just a fact.