PDA

View Full Version : Time Change; Crede

Jerry_Manuel
06-04-2002, 06:48 PM
NOTES: The Sox' game June 12 against the New York Mets at Comiskey Park was switched to a 6:05 p.m. start and will be shown on ESPN2. The game originally was scheduled for 7:05 p.m.

The move might mean a return to the majors for eternal third-base prospect Joe Crede, who recently was named International League batter of the week. Crede, batting .314 with 10 home runs at Class AAA Charlotte, might be called up in the middle of the month before the Sox play at National League parks.

Manuel was asked if he plans to reduce his 12-man pitching staff for another bat.

"Possibly when we go National League, that could be an option,'' he said. "We'll probably have to make some adjustments in the rotation. We might have to skip a guy to keep him back in the bullpen, especially if we go back to a lesser number of pitchers.''

PaleHoseGeorge
06-04-2002, 06:54 PM
It looks like the entire left side of our infield is going to get a shake up in time for the interleague games. Manuel is already hinting that he'll drop a pitcher from the roster.

:rock
"Uh-oh."

:)

Jerry_Manuel
06-04-2002, 06:59 PM
Originally posted by PaleHoseGeorge
It looks like the entire left side of our infield is going to get a shake up in time for the interleague games. Manuel is already hinting that he'll drop a pitcher from the roster.

:rock
"Uh-oh."

:)

I don't believe Crede will get called up. I'd like to see it happen, but I have my doubts. Interesting, up until a week ago, Ginter would have been the odd man out. He's pitching well enough to merit staying up here, they should send Biddle down and let him prepare to move into the starting rotation.

MattSharp
06-04-2002, 07:15 PM
Originally posted by Jerry_Manuel

I don't believe Crede will get called up. I'd like to see it happen, but I have my doubts. Interesting, up until a week ago, Ginter would have been the odd man out. He's pitching well enough to merit staying up here, they should send Biddle down and let him prepare to move into the starting rotation.

Hmm. I don't think they shoudl send Biddle down. I think they should move him into the rotation now. Keep Ginter, Marte, Wunsch, Howry, Foulke, and Glover in the pen and dump Osuna's gimp ass.....

Daver
06-04-2002, 07:17 PM
Originally posted by MattSharp

Hmm. I don't think they shoudl send Biddle down. I think they should move him into the rotation now. Keep Ginter, Marte, Wunsch, Howry, Foulke, and Glover in the pen and dump Osuna's gimp ass.....

I doubt Biddle could go more than 5 innings right now,which is what your getting out of Glover,let him rehab at his pace instead of rushing him.

LongDistanceFan
06-04-2002, 07:17 PM

Hmm. I don't think they shoudl send Biddle down. I think they should move him into the rotation now. Keep Ginter, Marte, Wunsch, Howry, Foulke, and Glover in the pen and dump Osuna's gimp ass..... i haven't heard of gascan lately

MattSharp
06-04-2002, 07:43 PM
Originally posted by daver

I doubt Biddle could go more than 5 innings right now,which is what your getting out of Glover,let him rehab at his pace instead of rushing him.

But Glover sucks....

Daver
06-04-2002, 07:48 PM

But Glover sucks....

I know that,I would rather have Glover pitch healthy,rather than Biddle reinjure himself because he is only 75% healthy.

PaleHoseGeorge
06-04-2002, 08:15 PM

I know that,I would rather have Glover pitch healthy,rather than Biddle reinjure himself because he is only 75% healthy.

Let's face it. We need somebody to enter the rotation and send Glover back to long relief. As near as I can tell, there is nobody in the organization that can fill that role.

:kipper :sean
"Why is that?"

RedPinStripes
06-04-2002, 08:20 PM
I doubt Crede will be called up intil either Manos or Choice are traded, or sept. What are they going to do with that roster spot and with him if Manos and K-layton are here?

:hitless

Can't sit me forever! I'll bitch up a storm.

Daver
06-04-2002, 08:27 PM

Let's face it. We need somebody to enter the rotation and send Glover back to long relief. As near as I can tell, there is nobody in the organization that can fill that role.

:kipper :sean
"Why is that?"

:rauch

Hey PHG,what's wrong with me?

PaleHoseGeorge
06-04-2002, 08:29 PM

:rauch

Hey PHG,what's wrong with me?

The kid will be back. However, I wouldn't bet on it until after the threat of a strike has been averted. :(:

Daver
06-04-2002, 08:30 PM

The kid will be back. However, I wouldn't bet on it until after the threat of a strike has been averted. :(:

It wouldn't make any difference now,he is already on the 40 man roster.

PaleHoseGeorge
06-04-2002, 08:35 PM
It wouldn't make any difference now,he is already on the 40 man roster.

As a ballplayer in the minors, wouldn't the owners and players' union make a hasty agreement to let guys like Rauch continue to play in AA and AAA? I thought that is what they did last time.

Daver
06-04-2002, 08:38 PM

As a ballplayer in the minors, wouldn't the owners and players' union make a hasty agreement to let guys like Rauch continue to play in AA and AAA? I thought that is what they did last time.

Not if they are members of the union.

PaleHoseGeorge
06-04-2002, 08:43 PM
Not if they are members of the union.

Perhaps someone else (Randar?) can confirm this. I thought the owners and the union agreed quickly after the 1981, 1985, and 1994 strikes to permit major league players currently playing in the minor leagues to continue playing through the end of the year. I believe they went through each roster on a player by player basis to resolve this last time.

To my knowledge, such players are not accumulating major league service time and are not subject to the terms of the MLBPA's collective bargaining agreement.

I could be wrong, though.

Daver
06-04-2002, 08:47 PM

Perhaps someone else (Randar?) can confirm this. I thought the owners and the union agreed quickly after the 1981, 1985, and 1994 strikes to permit major league players currently playing in the minor leagues to continue playing through the end of the year. I believe they went through each roster on a player by player basis to resolve this last time.

To my knowledge, such players are not accumulating major league service time and are not subject to the terms of the MLBPA's collective bargaining agreement.

I know there was some issues with it because the teams were trying to get guys that were re-habbing to be allowed to continue playing in the minors,and the union was not happy about it and Don Fehr was quoted that their would never be a repeat of it.

Randar68
06-04-2002, 10:09 PM

While it may have been done in the past to a limited extent, essentially, once you become a member of the union, you are not rescinded your membership when demoted or put ion the minors for any reason. I do believe there is an exception made for both player options and MLB service time for September roster expansion additions, although I may not be completely clear on that matter.

Joe Crede and Jon Rauch are both SOL if there is a strike.

Randar68
06-04-2002, 10:29 PM
BTW, Joe Crede went 0-4 with 3 K's tonight...hopeflly he's not watching what's going on up here and just keeps raking down there...

fogie
06-05-2002, 10:30 AM
What ever you have to do, make room for Joe.

GO GO SOX