PDA

View Full Version : Lip's Blog D.O.A.

Lip Man 1
07-17-2009, 01:05 PM
Friends I just received some tough news and while I understand the background it still is a little difficult to take.

ChicagoNow has decided to go in a different direction with the White Sox Confidential blog and I'll no longer be hosting it.

I wanted to thank everyone for reading and participating and I encourage you to visit and partake in the new blog on the Sox when that is unveiled.

As Kenny Williams would say, it is what it is.

It was fun while it lasted. Thank You!

I was told that there simply weren't enough folks reading it and participating in it to make it worth continuing with myself originating posts.

It'll be interesting to see the new one and if it gets better readership. I gave it the best shot I could, but I obviously didn't hit upon the right formula for today's generation. I offered opinions but tried to do them with respect and maybe what today's reader wants is more controversy. I don't know but that's not my style.

Anyway nothing ventured, nothing gained.

Jack McDowell will still have his blog by the way and his is worth reading!

Lip

It's Dankerific
07-17-2009, 01:13 PM
Sorry to hear that. They didn't give ya much of a chance.

voodoochile
07-17-2009, 01:13 PM
Sorry to hear it, Lip.

Your opinions are always welcome around here.

TornLabrum
07-17-2009, 01:19 PM
Sorry to hear that, Lip. I guess you weren't Mariotti-like enough.

thedudeabides
07-17-2009, 01:33 PM
Tough break Lip. I found it very informative. Thanks for giving it a go. I guess you'll just have to go back to having it out with us here. :D:

spawn
07-17-2009, 01:34 PM
Sorry to hear that. If Mariotti is replacing you, I'll pass.

Noneck
07-17-2009, 01:36 PM
Friends I just received some tough news and while I understand the background it still is a little difficult to take.

ChicagoNow has decided to go in a different direction with the White Sox Confidential blog and I'll no longer be hosting it.

I wanted to thank everyone for reading and participating and I encourage you to visit and partake in the new blog on the Sox when that is unveiled.

I was told that there simply weren't enough folks reading it and participating in it to make it worth continuing with myself originating posts.

It'll be interesting to see the new one and if it gets better readership. I gave it the best shot I could, but I obviously didn't hit upon the right formula for today's generation. I offered opinions but tried to do them with respect and maybe what today's reader wants is more controversy. I don't know but that's not my style.

Lip

That's too bad. I would have commented more but most of my comments would be either "Thanks for the memories" or "I agree".

dickallen15
07-17-2009, 02:06 PM
I think they are giving you a tough break. The Black Jack blog was probably considered "The" White Sox blog by most who went to that site considering clicking on your blog was all the way down on the bottom, I think a lot of people weren't aware there was another White Sox blog. Move the link to click on your blog a little higher on their page and I think the results would have been different. You had a nice house in a bad location.

twinsuck
07-17-2009, 02:16 PM
I didn't even now you had a blog. I'm sorry, I would have read it if I knew!

RedHeadPaleHoser
07-17-2009, 02:44 PM
If Lip gets bounced for the ****tard, I say we all sign up as members and post the **** out of him until he cries and bans member comments.

Too bad, Lip. I enojyed reading it.

tebman
07-17-2009, 03:02 PM
Sorry to hear that, Lip. I read your blog but maybe there weren't enough people like me ringing up page hits.

"Going a different direction" sounds more like they want a different style, and judging by what the circus barkers who run that paper now are doing, they probably want the online equivalent of Around The Horn. If that's the case, I won't be there.

voodoochile
07-17-2009, 03:08 PM
I agree with the comment that it was too far down the list. I understand it's an alphabetical list, but it's a long trip from Black Jack to White Sox when the links are sequential. They ought to make a different home page with links to various topics (sports, neighborhoods, politics, etc.) and then stick the various blogs that fit those topics on pages that are linked from those general categories. Like at WSI where you have Baseball forums, general forums and gameday forums, but don't try to list all the individual blogs on one page. At the least they should make it Sox confidential so it's not close to the last blog on the page.

Oh and I can't see them hiring the windsock then giving him the Sox beat. His ego wouldn't stand for that. He's gonna get a byline blog just like Black Jack.

spawn
07-17-2009, 03:08 PM
If Lip gets bounced for the ****tard, I say we all sign up as members and post the **** out of him until he cries and bans member comments.

Too bad, Lip. I enojyed reading it.
If that happened and we did that, all that would do is give the Trib justification for replacing Lip with him. The best thing would be to not even visit his blog. No hits means no one is interested in what he has to say. that would be the ultimate hit to his ego.

RedHeadPaleHoser
07-17-2009, 03:17 PM
If that happened and we did that, all that would do is give the Trib justification for replacing Lip with him. The best thing would be to not even visit his blog. No hits means no one is interested in what he has to say. that would be the ultimate hit to his ego.

You're right spawn.

I just like to see the bitch cry when people post against him to the point where he shuts the comments section off.

Fenway
07-17-2009, 03:18 PM
grumble

SOXfnNlansing
07-17-2009, 04:07 PM
We're sure glad to have you here.

rocky biddle
07-17-2009, 04:20 PM
You should tell people that you took a principled stand and quit the blog because of the reported Windsock hiring. Your journalistic integrity wouldn't let you share webspace with him. Something like that.

Britt Burns
07-17-2009, 04:30 PM

Lip

That stinks! Sorry to hear about it Lip...always like your writing.

JB98
07-17-2009, 05:05 PM
Sorry to hear that, Lip.

There are so many voices out there in the blogosphere now that it's hard to attract a regular readership. I know that first-hand. You have to do a lot of self-marketing, and most people (including myself) don't really have time to do that.

I figure the main reason my blog hasn't been discontinued is the fact that my bosses are too preoccupied with other things to notice that it doesn't generate all that much traffic.

Tragg
07-17-2009, 05:06 PM
Sorry to hear that, Lip.

Did someone say Mariotti? I thought he was run out of town a year ago?

Lip Man 1
07-17-2009, 05:41 PM
Folks:

I appreciate very much the kind comments. Thanks. That's an interesting point about the location of the link, perhaps that's something that Jimmy may take account of if he looks through this thread. (I know he often visits WSI)

I think this was tough because I could sense the unease in Jimmy's voice when he told me. I just don't think I was what they were looking for in terms of content, controversy or familiarity with today's generation and how they approach things.

I tried my best but it didn't work. I'll be curious to see who they get to do this and if things are any better.

I told Jim and I quoted from Brooks Boyer that when the Sox aren't doing well their fans say "screw em I'm not watching, I'm not going to the game and I'm not listening." (perhaps that includes I'm not reading) Jim feels according to a blog seminar he attended that when things are tough, that's when fans want to vent.

We'll see.

I don't know who else didn't make the cut. I know they now intend to roll out ChicagoNow on August 10th and I understand their position, they need it to work right now. They need to get advertisers on board and to do that they have to show a lot of hits.

Is that short sighted? Probably...will it cause some issues, almost certainly, with yours truly example #1, but this is what they feel they need to do. That doesn't mean that it doesn't hurt because I understand their position but life isn't fair.

Regarding Jay Mariotti, I know nothing about this outside of the thread that was posted here a few weeks ago. Nothing would surprise me today in the business though, I can say that...again thanks for the comments. That do help.

Lip

Medford Bobby
07-17-2009, 07:56 PM
I just booked marked the site here at the radio station computer. So, I'm not happy to hear this news.

TheVulture
07-17-2009, 08:39 PM
If the Trib hires that **** to cover the Sox, the case is closed on the Trib's anti-Sox-ness. They obviously hate Sox fans.

Brian26
07-17-2009, 08:51 PM
Currently, there are *62* blogs on the "Our Blogs" page. Lip's blog was dead last on the bottom. Anyone who wasn't looking for it intentionally would never ever get to it after sifting through the other columns there.

Flip-flop Lip and Black Jack's links on that page and tell me the number of hits wouldn't change drastically.

I don't buy the "this generation" argument either. There's always a place for well-written and informative work. What, educated people over the age of 30 who own a computer aren't the market you're trying to tap? I cringe at what the future holds if there's not a place for the kind of work Lip produces, especially after some of the embarrassing political garbage I saw on the other blog earlier this week.

/endrant

Lip Man 1
07-17-2009, 09:23 PM
Brian:

Again thank you for the kind words. I honestly believe they are trying to reach a different group than I'm used to working with and that's OK, they did their market research I'm sure.

I wanted to do a blend of what's going on today with the past history of the franchise "This Date In White Sox History" etc and on more than one occasion Jimmy and I talked and he said that folks just weren't reading that stuff...he said he liked it but it was all about what the reader wants.

I know that was a sticking point with me because I'd think even younger fans would be interested in the franchise's history but apparently not and I'm not used to fans like that.

A good example is here at WSI, fans of all ages seem to want to know the trivia, the former great players, the history and so forth. Are WSI readers different from the Tribune blog readers? I don't know...maybe they are.

Lip

TommyJohn
07-17-2009, 09:26 PM
If the Trib hires that **** to cover the Sox, the case is closed on the Trib's anti-Sox-ness. They obviously hate Sox fans.

Mariotti is exactly what they are looking for. His paranoid, hate-filled, egomaniacal rants will be just what the doctor ordered. He will get far more hits and comments than Lip (and I don't mean that in a positive way) and that is what they want. So we can protest it all we want, it won't make a difference.

TommyJohn
07-17-2009, 09:29 PM
Are WSI readers different from the Tribune blog readers? I don't know...maybe they are.

Lip

Well, we know most people here are hardcore White Sox fans who love the trivia and history, but maybe they make up just a small percentage of the Trib blog readers.

Daver
07-17-2009, 09:36 PM
Are WSI readers different from the Tribune blog readers? I don't know...maybe they are.

Lip

Phil Rogers will tell you that they are, he has told me many times that he is astounded at the understanding of the game that our members have from the Sox down through the minor league system.

Brian26
07-17-2009, 09:47 PM
I know that was a sticking point with me because I'd think even younger fans would be interested in the franchise's history but apparently not and I'm not used to fans like that.

I just find this line of thinking astounding, and I refuse to believe it. When I was growing up, I used to crave knowledge about Sox history and baseball history. I used to eat this kind of stuff up. I thought it was fascinating to read and learn about players and teams that lived before my time.

october23sp
07-17-2009, 11:44 PM
I just find this line of thinking astounding, and I refuse to believe it. When I was growing up, I used to crave knowledge about Sox history and baseball history. I used to eat this kind of stuff up. I thought it was fascinating to read and learn about players and teams that lived before my time.

I love reading about Sox history and amaze a lot of people from what I read about the Sox on a daily basis. Just in normal conversation I can bring up the Sox somehow and it's not a get in your face "Sox rule" rant. It's usually just a cool tidbit of information.

And I don't even know half of the stuff that is out there. Young people love to know about the past because it has so much to do with the future. It's pathetic the fad now of how something stupid and ludacris is what people want.

JB98
07-18-2009, 01:29 AM
I'd like to offer some comments on this whole "generational" thing that both Lip and Brian mentioned. I hope this isn't too much of a hijack.

Trying to figure out what readers want in this age of new media is pretty tough. As a print journalist and a blogger, I've heard more than my fair share of speeches about trying to "attract younger readers."

I'm 10 days past my 33rd birthday. I don't consider myself old by any means, but I find myself shaking my head at some of the things media outlets do in the name of trying to appeal to the youth. Last weekend, my newspaper put the Jonas Brothers on the Sunday front page, and that made me throw up in my mouth a little bit. The reporter who did the story felt the same way about it. It was truly garbage journalism. Total fluff, celebrity-type "news" that is normally reserved for the checkout line magazine stand. Naturally, the suits loved it.

Most of these attempts to "attract younger readers" fall into the category of bad journalism, IMHO.

As a practicing journalist, I consistently hear from readers that they are tired of sensational stories and other fluff. However, the sensational stories, the celebrity news, the fluff, the outrageous opinions, that's what is driving most of the traffic on the Web. It's a paradox. Basically, people are saying they want a higher-brow quality of news, while at the same time they are consuming all the low-brow stuff in droves.

Lip, I think your blog was the same quality work we've come to expect from you. You offered your perspective on this 2009 team, while also including some historical items about the White Sox franchise. I enjoyed reading it. And if you were to take a reader survey, the majority of respondents would probably say they want that kind of information. But in practice, the readers seem to gravitate toward the sensational, ****-stirring stuff.

It's somewhat alarming to me that the Mariottis and Woody Paiges of the world are the ones that rise to the top of this profession. Scream the loudest and provoke a response. If you ask people, they'll say they don't want that kind of journalism. Meanwhile, those guys are generating Web hits like there's no tomorrow. It's hard to explain.

EuroSox35
07-18-2009, 01:44 AM
Lip, I'm in my early 20's and I enjoyed it. I agree, you were hurt by the name and being at the complete bottom, especially when an alternative (at the top and listed as featured) is being written by a former player/fan favorite.

I use mlblogs for fun, it's a nice place to vent and give thoughts/predictions on the decisions the Sox make. I don't advertise it or anything but one other mlblog writer found it, and it becomes fun because people read/comment on yours in hopes you'll do the same and you can kind of network that way and get the thoughts of other team fans

TornLabrum
07-18-2009, 07:25 AM
I'd like to offer some comments on this whole "generational" thing that both Lip and Brian mentioned. I hope this isn't too much of a hijack.

Trying to figure out what readers want in this age of new media is pretty tough. As a print journalist and a blogger, I've heard more than my fair share of speeches about trying to "attract younger readers."

I'm 10 days past my 33rd birthday. I don't consider myself old by any means, but I find myself shaking my head at some of the things media outlets do in the name of trying to appeal to the youth. Last weekend, my newspaper put the Jonas Brothers on the Sunday front page, and that made me throw up in my mouth a little bit. The reporter who did the story felt the same way about it. It was truly garbage journalism. Total fluff, celebrity-type "news" that is normally reserved for the checkout line magazine stand. Naturally, the suits loved it.

Most of these attempts to "attract younger readers" fall into the category of bad journalism, IMHO.

As a practicing journalist, I consistently hear from readers that they are tired of sensational stories and other fluff. However, the sensational stories, the celebrity news, the fluff, the outrageous opinions, that's what is driving most of the traffic on the Web. It's a paradox. Basically, people are saying they want a higher-brow quality of news, while at the same time they are consuming all the low-brow stuff in droves.

Lip, I think your blog was the same quality work we've come to expect from you. You offered your perspective on this 2009 team, while also including some historical items about the White Sox franchise. I enjoyed reading it. And if you were to take a reader survey, the majority of respondents would probably say they want that kind of information. But in practice, the readers seem to gravitate toward the sensational, ****-stirring stuff.

It's somewhat alarming to me that the Mariottis and Woody Paiges of the world are the ones that rise to the top of this profession. Scream the loudest and provoke a response. If you ask people, they'll say they don't want that kind of journalism. Meanwhile, those guys are generating Web hits like there's no tomorrow. It's hard to explain.

It's really not all that hard to explain. People say they want a certain thing to impress others but then do just the opposite.

voodoochile
07-18-2009, 08:47 AM
It's really not all that hard to explain. People say they want a certain thing to impress others but then do just the opposite.

Most of them actually believe they feel that way too and go through tons of rationalization and selective memory to hold on to their self image.

It's not cool to care about celebrities and their lives and none of us really gawk at car accidents either. It's always the other drivers who cause the backup. But, hey since I'm being forced to drive so slow, I might as well take a peek anyway...

SoxandtheCityTee
07-18-2009, 09:03 AM
Lip, my regrets. And others have said, it's the times and what that business is going through.

ode to veeck
07-18-2009, 09:05 AM
really sorry to hear it

Frater Perdurabo
07-18-2009, 09:54 AM
car accidents

With all due respect to Lip, JB and the respectable journalists out there, the car accident is the perfect metaphor for today's "news" media.

MarySwiss
07-18-2009, 04:06 PM
Lip,

I haven't read your blog because I've been too busy of late to read much of anything other than work-related stuff. But I always enjoy reading your work here at WSI, and I'm sorry you didn't get more time to build a following.

It's their loss.

flo-B-flo
07-18-2009, 11:04 PM
Lip,
..............I'm sorry you didn't get more time to build a following.

It's their loss.

And **** them....

FarWestChicago
07-19-2009, 06:58 AM
I'm sorry to hear that, Lip. You deserved a better chance than they gave you. :nod:

Lip Man 1
07-19-2009, 10:38 AM
West and all. Thanks again.

I understand some writers from a site called Sox talk will be taking over and I hope they do well.

I don't know anything about them or their web site so I can't comment one way or another in that direction.

Lip

voodoochile
07-19-2009, 10:40 AM
West and all. Thanks again.

I understand some writers from a site called Sox talk will be taking over and I hope they do well.

I don't know anything about them or their web site so I can't comment one way or another in that direction.

Lip

Definitely a younger mindset at that place, though they do have some pretty decent minor league info.

RedPinStripes
07-19-2009, 11:06 AM
jack mcdowell will still have his blog by the way and his is worth reading!

Lip

:hawk
"HELL NO!"

dooda
07-20-2009, 10:18 AM
Lip, sorry to hear the news. Always look for your posts and enjoyed the blog. Hope you get another shot somewhere else.

salty99
07-20-2009, 10:23 AM
Just people people on here are baseball historians/nuts, whatever doesn't mean the general bseball fan is. Heck, just look at Gordon Beckham who didn't even know who Harold Baines was.