PDA

View Full Version : Any word on Quentin's return?

russ99
07-17-2009, 06:13 AM
I haven't heard anything yet. He went 6 innings last night for Kannapolis.

I hope TCQ is ready to go.

KyWhiSoxFan
07-17-2009, 06:48 AM

He played all 9 innings for Charlotte last night in LF (7/16).

jabrch
07-17-2009, 07:25 AM
It will be nice to see him back in the lineup. I hope he is and stays healthy.

CLR01
07-17-2009, 08:13 AM

He played all 9 innings for Charlotte last night in LF (7/16).

Carlos really is amazing.

chisoxfanatic
07-17-2009, 09:02 AM
All they said on Monsters in the Morning is to expect him back "sometime this weekend."

dakotasox
07-17-2009, 09:51 AM
Well I'm going to tonight so I better see him playing :tongue:

KyWhiSoxFan
07-17-2009, 10:06 AM
Well I'm going to tonight so I better see him playing :tongue:

You must be going to Charlotte!

nug0hs
07-17-2009, 10:32 AM
He is still limping.

If he returns this weekend, I wouldn't expect much out of him.

kittle42
07-17-2009, 10:42 AM
Not that Baltimore and TB are pushovers - far from it - but starting next weekend, we have Detroit, Minny, and NYY. I'd rather he take the time he needs.

Red Barchetta
07-17-2009, 10:43 AM
He is still limping.

That doesn't sound good. This is his third (?) season in a row on the DL. I sure hope he doesn't turn into one of the "he would have been great if he didn't always get hurt" type of players....:(:

chisoxfanatic
07-17-2009, 10:45 AM
Not that Baltimore and TB are pushovers - far from it - but starting next weekend, we have Detroit, Minny, and NYY. I'd rather he take the time he needs.
Great call! And, they've got that one DH in there too next Friday!

nug0hs
07-17-2009, 10:49 AM
That doesn't sound good. This is his third (?) season in a row on the DL. I sure hope he doesn't turn into one of the "he would have been great if he didn't always get hurt" type of players....:(:

Yes, I think that is exactly why Arizona gave up on him. Sorry guys, but I wouldn't get your hopes up too much for him this season.

DirtySox
07-17-2009, 10:59 AM
He is still limping.

Source?

DickAllen72
07-17-2009, 11:06 AM
He is still limping.

If that's true, his limp isn't going to get any better by playing in AAA. Either bring him up now and see what he can do or shut him down for a couple of weeks and let him rest his foot.

DonnieDarko
07-17-2009, 11:13 AM
He is still limping.

Where'd you hear that? If the man is still limping, why the **** is he playing baseball?

Gammons Peter
07-17-2009, 11:30 AM
Where'd you hear that? If the man is still limping, why the **** is he playing baseball?

He'll limp the rest of the year, Its not going to get much better until he has surgery

russ99
07-17-2009, 11:35 AM

From what I've read, he'll be playing in some pain the rest of the year.

It's up to him how much of that he can take, and I do have concerns about his level of play this year due to his usual violent swing, and if he starts favoring the sore foot.

But it's not something where they're rushing him back... this just goes with the territory until he has surgery.

nug0hs
07-17-2009, 11:46 AM
Source?

Source is from a broadcast of a Charlotte Knights game that I watched in the office last week. The inning ended with TCQ on the basepaths and he limped towards the 1B coach to give him his batting helmet/gloves. He is definitely nowhere near 80 or even 70% right now.

JB98
07-17-2009, 12:02 PM
If that's true, his limp isn't going to get any better by playing in AAA. Either bring him up now and see what he can do or shut him down for a couple of weeks and let him rest his foot.

Agreed. What is the point of playing more games in AAA? Bring him up and let him play. If he gets hurt again, he gets hurt again. For however long he's able to play, the Sox need him in the lineup.

I actually think leaving him in Charlotte is an unnecessary risk. What is he gaining by playing there? What are the Sox gaining by having him there?

Red Barchetta
07-17-2009, 12:14 PM
Agreed. What is the point of playing more games in AAA? Bring him up and let him play. If he gets hurt again, he gets hurt again. For however long he's able to play, the Sox need him in the lineup.

I actually think leaving him in Charlotte is an unnecessary risk. What is he gaining by playing there? What are the Sox gaining by having him there?

I think it was a good idea to get some game time playing in before returning to the lineup. With the All-Star break plus the final games leading up to the break being played on only 1 of 3 artificial surface ballparks (Minnesota), there was no need to bring him back until now.

I wasn't aware he was still limping though. Part of me would like to see them shut this guy down completely and do all the necessary surgeries he needs and then see what happens. It's frustrating watching what appears to be a great talent, playing at 70%.

Gammons Peter
07-17-2009, 12:14 PM

Just working on getting his timing down, he hadn't faced live pitching in over a month

The Immigrant
07-17-2009, 12:15 PM
Last night he tagged up on a fly ball to RF and took third base ahead of the throw, but some here will have you believe he's limping around like Billy Bob in Sling Blade.

spawn
07-17-2009, 12:16 PM
Last night he tagged up on a fly ball to RF and took third base ahead of the throw, but some here will have you believe he's limping around like Billy Bob in Sling Blade.
I thought he was playing on a wooden leg? :scratch:

DirtySox
07-17-2009, 12:32 PM
I wasn't aware he was still limping though. Part of me would like to see them shut this guy down completely and do all the necessary surgeries he needs and then see what happens. It's frustrating watching what appears to be a great talent, playing at 70%.

The surgery is very likely in the offseason, and if the tendon completely tears upon his return he will have even more time to be ready for next year.

hi im skot
07-17-2009, 12:34 PM
I thought he was playing on a wooden leg? :scratch:

Quentin has legs?

voodoochile
07-17-2009, 12:38 PM
Quentin has legs?

And he knows how to use them...

It's his feet we are begging to hold up...

Foulke You
07-17-2009, 01:08 PM
Quentin is screaming "DH" to me right now. I have a feeling Quentin will be able to come back this year and hit. He won't be legging out many infield singles or getting borderline doubles but he'll still probably hit. My main concern is how much is he going to hurt us in LF if he can't move? With Thome in the lineup, we won't be able to DH Quentin much. He has to be able to play a capable LF or he isn't much help to us.

It's Dankerific
07-17-2009, 01:12 PM
Quentin is screaming "DH" to me right now. I have a feeling Quentin will be able to come back this year and hit. He won't be legging out many infield singles or getting borderline doubles but he'll still probably hit. My main concern is how much is he going to hurt us in LF if he can't move? With Thome in the lineup, we won't be able to DH Quentin much. He has to be able to play a capable LF or he isn't much help to us.

I don't think anyone cares how LF is played.

It is what it is.

No one will complain when he hits a HR.

TornLabrum
07-17-2009, 01:20 PM

I wouldn't know about Billy Bob in Sling Blade. Is that something like Chester in Gunsmoke?

oeo
07-17-2009, 01:27 PM
Source is from a broadcast of a Charlotte Knights game that I watched in the office last week. The inning ended with TCQ on the basepaths and he limped towards the 1B coach to give him his batting helmet/gloves. He is definitely nowhere near 80 or even 70% right now.

So he's going to have to play in some pain...:shrug:

I doubt the Sox would have him on a rehab stint if he was only 70%. Where did that number come from?

Two of them were complete flukes. People said the same thing about Jermaine Dye until his luck got better.

Noneck
07-17-2009, 01:31 PM
I wouldn't know about Billy Bob in Sling Blade. Is that something like Chester in Gunsmoke?

I also hear he walks now like Amos McCoy.

The Immigrant
07-17-2009, 02:06 PM
http://blogs.chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports_hardball/

No Quentin in the lineup tonight, unfortunately.

KyWhiSoxFan
07-17-2009, 02:11 PM

Maybe he can do a good impression of Willis Reed.

JB98
07-17-2009, 04:21 PM
Just working on getting his timing down, he hadn't faced live pitching in over a month

He's been facing live pitching for two weeks now, and he's batting .360. I don't think he needs to see anymore AAA pitching.

I really don't care if he's limping. He won't be 100 percent for the rest of the year, so it is a waste of time waiting for him to get to 100 percent. If he can play, he should be in a Sox uniform.

Sockinchisox
07-17-2009, 04:54 PM
Garfein says Ozzie said another 6 days or so for Quentin's return. They want to be very cautious with him.

Foulke You
07-17-2009, 04:59 PM
I don't think anyone cares how LF is played.

It is what it is.

No one will complain when he hits a HR.
Don't get me wrong, I absolutely love Quentin's bat and when he is hot, he can carry your team as we saw last season. However, our defense is one of the worst in the AL. If he is gimping badly out in LF, you would hate to see the entire left side of the field become a defensive liability. We already have Beckham booting balls at 3B and Ramirez's bonehead lapses to deal with.

JB98
07-17-2009, 05:02 PM
Garfein says Ozzie said another 6 days or so for Quentin's return. They want to be very cautious with him.

I just don't get it. What difference is another six days going to make? It's a nagging injury that will be with Quentin for the rest of the year.

Lip Man 1
07-17-2009, 05:45 PM
Perhaps Kenny is waiting as long as possible to determine if he should be a buyer or seller based on the results this next week. They hit the break having dropped 5 of 8. Maybe kenny still isn't sure and wants to see what's going on before making the call with Quentin.

Lip

JB98
07-17-2009, 05:49 PM
Perhaps Kenny is waiting as long as possible to determine if he should be a buyer or seller based on the results this next week. They hit the break having dropped 5 of 8. Maybe kenny still isn't sure and wants to see what's going on before making the call with Quentin.

Lip

I sorta doubt the next week or 10 days is really going to tip the scales one way or another, though.

This has been essentially a .500 club for 88 games. I would suspect the next 10 games will generate a record somewhere between 4-6 and 6-4.

Baron
07-17-2009, 06:07 PM
http://blogs.chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports_hardball/2009/07/guillen-quentin-not-ready-sox-wont-mortgage-farm-system-for-halladay.html

Maybe another week.....Also there saying that the Jays could be interested in Richard,Poreda,Flowers and Viciedo for Halladay

JB98
07-17-2009, 06:10 PM
http://blogs.chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports_hardball/2009/07/guillen-quentin-not-ready-sox-wont-mortgage-farm-system-for-halladay.html

Maybe another week.....Also there saying that the Jays could be interested in Richard,Poreda,Flowers and Viciedo for Halladay

Of course they would be interested, because that's way too ****ing much.

slavko
07-17-2009, 06:15 PM

Not for an organization that refuses to develop its own players. But that's no longer us, is it?

DickAllen72
07-17-2009, 06:18 PM
I just don't get it. What difference is another six days going to make? It's a nagging injury that will be with Quentin for the rest of the year.
If they want to shut him down completely for three or four days and then have him play a couple of games to get his timing back I could understand it. But to have him play six more consecutive games in AAA makes no sense to me either. He's already been playing for a couple of weeks and his foot isn't going to get any better by playing in AAA rather than with the big club. Unless they're going to let him dog it in Charlotte and then expect him to go all out once back with the Sox.

Baron
07-17-2009, 06:22 PM

Their fans are even more ridiculous with what the want.They didnt mention Flowers but the rest of those guys that the Jays want plus Beck and Danks

EuroSox35
07-17-2009, 06:43 PM
I don't see how him coming up now and playing is any less "careful" then him doing the same exact thing in AAA. Actually, I'm guessing the training facilities and resources would be better at the big league level...

Frater Perdurabo
07-17-2009, 07:26 PM

If I'm the Sox I counter with Richard and Poreda, and either Flowers OR Viciedo.

DSpivack
07-17-2009, 07:38 PM
If I'm the Sox I counter with Richard and Poreda, and either Flowers OR Viciedo.

I seriously doubt the Jays take that deal, but then again Ricciardi is not a great GM by any means.

DirtySox
07-17-2009, 08:08 PM
Aside from all this Halladay talk.... Carlos played all 7 innings at DH for the first game of Charlotte's doubleheader, and is currently DHing in the 2nd game as well.

JB98
07-17-2009, 08:26 PM
Aside from all this Halladay talk.... Carlos played all 7 innings at DH for the first game of Charlotte's doubleheader, and is currently DHing in the 2nd game as well.

He went 1-for-3 and got a hit his first time up in Game 2.

He's hitting .379, but the Sox won't call him up because he's "not running well" Since when has "running well" been a prerequisite for playing corner OF for the White Sox?

Lip Man 1
07-17-2009, 09:07 PM
Ozzie was quoted as saying there is still soreness in his left foot. He hasn't hurt it again so I assume this is just natural soreness from using the foot again.

Ozzie said another six or seven days.

Lip

jabrch
07-17-2009, 09:16 PM

Don't you think the coaching staff and the trainers have more information than us and are better able to decide if he is able to play yet?

jabrch
07-17-2009, 09:18 PM

If all it would take is those 4, and we wouldn't have to take on Rios, I wouldn't risk them finding a better deal. I'd jump all over that to put Halladay into this rotation immediately.

JB98
07-17-2009, 09:20 PM
Don't you think the coaching staff and the trainers have more information than us and are better able to decide if he is able to play yet?

He is able to play. He played nine innings in LF last night. He's DH'ing in both ends of a doubleheader today.

DickAllen72
07-17-2009, 11:34 PM
He went 1-for-3 and got a hit his first time up in Game 2.

He's hitting .379, but the Sox won't call him up because he's "not running well" Since when has "running well" been a prerequisite for playing corner OF for the White Sox?
The only thing i can think of is the Sox are about to make some kind of trade or something and don't want to call Carlos up until they see exactly how the roster shakes out after the trade.

Either that or they just don't want to cut Dewayne Wise.

gf2020
07-18-2009, 02:35 AM
Can the Sox even trade Viciedo? And if they did, wouldn't that screw them in the future with similar foreign players?

It's Dankerific
07-18-2009, 02:36 AM
Can the Sox even trade Viciedo? And if they did, wouldn't that screw them in the future with similar foreign players?

similar foreign players can get a NTC if thats what they care about. I doubt he really cares who he is playing with as long as the paychecks clear.

Re: Quentin's Rehab

Also, there is a really long thread that effectively decides/decrees that the White Sox decision making on rehab stints is beyond reproach. There was only one man who didn't need rehab for his serious injury (mainly because it couldn't make his play any worse).

Frater Perdurabo
07-18-2009, 07:34 AM
If all it would take is those 4, and we wouldn't have to take on Rios, I wouldn't risk them finding a better deal. I'd jump all over that to put Halladay into this rotation immediately.

Well, that's what I'd counter, just to see if they took it. If they balked, then I'd keep the conversation going with more negotiation. This is all hypothetical anyway, since this is based on a report that the Jays are interested in those players. It's not as if the Jays have come out and said "these are the players we want."

ode to veeck
07-18-2009, 09:10 AM
Ozzie was quoted as saying there is still soreness in his left foot. He hasn't hurt it again so I assume this is just natural soreness from using the foot again.

Lip

They need to take it real slow and the Sox need to play without any expectations from CQ until he's able to show up for real

russ99
07-18-2009, 10:22 AM
They need to take it real slow and the Sox need to play without any expectations from CQ until he's able to show up for real

That's real close to the deadline. I wonder if Kenny will make a move for an OF to hedge his bets regardless.

Tragg
07-18-2009, 10:34 AM
I'm sure they would. And what a great deal for us! Trade our best young talent for a player who will play 15 more games this year.....guarantees us a playoff appearance like he brought the Jays all of those years. The only thing missing would be the all-star talent Rios.

07-18-2009, 10:41 AM
I'm sure they would. And what a great deal for us! Trade our best young talent for a player who will play 15 more games this year.....guarantees us a playoff appearance like he brought the Jays all of those years. The only thing missing would be the all-star talent Rios.

Is there any award for lamest post of the week?

TomBradley72
07-18-2009, 10:49 AM
That's real close to the deadline. I wonder if Kenny will make a move for an OF to hedge his bets regardless.

I sure hope he does. Under either scenario....Pods/BA-Wise/Dye or TCQ/Pods/Dye....it's a pretty ugly outfield as far a overall defense,range, etc.

Tragg
07-18-2009, 10:52 AM
I sure hope he does. Under either scenario....Pods/BA-Wise/Dye or TCQ/Pods/Dye....it's a pretty ugly outfield as far a overall defense,range, etc.
Who out of that crew would you want to hit the bench? I think we have to live with it and slide Anderson in in the 7th when we have leads.

voodoochile
07-18-2009, 10:52 AM

At least in the latter case the Sox would make up for any defensive shortcomings with their bats. That's an outfield with the potential to hit 100 2B, 70 HR, drive in 250 RBI and score 300+ runs. At that stage of the game, who gives a **** if the defense is only average or even slightly below.

Tragg
07-18-2009, 10:54 AM
Never mind.

SCCWS
07-18-2009, 11:23 AM
Red Sox brought up Buchholz from AAA and pitched (and showcased) him against Jays last night. He pretty much dominated them over 7 innings. He is a much more attractive lead piece of a trade than any of the 4 rumored in WS trade offer. So it make take all 4 and Red Sox not being overly aggressive to get it done. Maybe Red Sox will decide to hold Buchholz and trade Brad Penny instead.

07-18-2009, 11:36 AM
Red Sox brought up Buchholz from AAA and pitched (and showcased) him against Jays last night. He pretty much dominated them over 7 innings. He is a much more attractive lead piece of a trade than any of the 4 rumored in WS trade offer. So it make take all 4 and Red Sox not being overly aggressive to get it done. Maybe Red Sox will decide to hold Buchholz and trade Brad Penny instead.

JP Ricciardi has said they are not interested in trading Halladay within the AL East.

Tragg
07-18-2009, 11:46 AM
So it make take all 4 and Red Sox not being overly aggressive to get it done. Maybe Red Sox will decide to hold Buchholz and trade Brad Penny instead.
That further demonstrates the folly of chasing Halladay: it will cost Boston 20% of their top talent; it will cost us 80%.

Paulwny
07-18-2009, 11:51 AM
JP Ricciardi has said they are not interested in trading Halladay within the AL East.

I've also read this however, in the back of his mind he knows he'll lose Halladay to FA. The 2 teams with the most $$ play in the AL East and will be bidders for Halladay.
It may be better to trade him for talent from either NY or Boston now since he he may be with either team after next year.

TomBradley72
07-18-2009, 12:04 PM
At least in the latter case the Sox would make up for any defensive shortcomings with their bats. That's an outfield with the potential to hit 100 2B, 70 HR, drive in 250 RBI and score 300+ runs. At that stage of the game, who gives a **** if the defense is only average or even slightly below.

I'm very skeptical that TCQ will be the answer for us....I'd like to see KW make a move to basically upgrade our 5th OF slot (currently Wise). Between TCQ's lack of mobility, the fact that he was hitting .239 before going on the DL, and the likelihood of re-injuring the foot, etc...I just think he's a long shot to bring the kind of help everyone seems to be taking for granted. Can he really hold up for the last 2 months of the season + October? Of course I hope I'm wrong. But I think we could get some additional insurance in the OF by trading a prospect or two who really are not part of our plans.

Hitmen77
07-18-2009, 12:18 PM

Lip

Here's an article that has Ozzie's statements:

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/whitesox/chi-18-white-sox-brite-chicago-jul18,0,879774.story

voodoochile
07-18-2009, 12:57 PM
I'm very skeptical that TCQ will be the answer for us....I'd like to see KW make a move to basically upgrade our 5th OF slot (currently Wise). Between TCQ's lack of mobility, the fact that he was hitting .239 before going on the DL, and the likelihood of re-injuring the foot, etc...I just think he's a long shot to bring the kind of help everyone seems to be taking for granted. Can he really hold up for the last 2 months of the season + October? Of course I hope I'm wrong. But I think we could get some additional insurance in the OF by trading a prospect or two who really are not part of our plans.

He was hitting .239 on a bum wheel. Remember the hot start he had to the year? After two weeks, he had 8 HR or something. Once healthy, he'll be a stud, but whether he can be healthy this year I don't know. At least he can't injure it worse and sitting won't help so the options are surgery now or try to play through it and surgery after the season is over. Might as well wait.

TomBradley72
07-18-2009, 05:35 PM
He was hitting .239 on a bum wheel. Remember the hot start he had to the year? After two weeks, he had 8 HR or something. Once healthy, he'll be a stud, but whether he can be healthy this year I don't know. At least he can't injure it worse and sitting won't help so the options are surgery now or try to play through it and surgery after the season is over. Might as well wait.

He still has a bum wheel.

voodoochile
07-18-2009, 05:54 PM
He still has a bum wheel.

No before he was struggling because the problem was new, untreated, not understood and distractingly painful.

Now most of the pain is gone and he understands not only how to deal with the injury but also has the mental aspect figured out because it's not an unknown situation.

It's all speculation at this point in time. I hope he can come back and perform. Others are acting like there's no freaking way in heck that can happen. Until it plays out, no one know...

Frater Perdurabo
07-18-2009, 07:53 PM
I've also read this however, in the back of his mind he knows he'll lose Halladay to FA. The 2 teams with the most $$ play in the AL East and will be bidders for Halladay.
It may be better to trade him for talent from either NY or Boston now since he he may be with either team after next year.

And that is why the Jays might be inclined to give the Sox (or another non-AL East team) the 72-hour window to negotiate a long-term extension for Halladay. From the Jays' perspective, they could demand another prospect, and it would increase the odds that Halladay would never pitch for another AL East team.