PDA

View Full Version : A Funny Read: Cub Fan Trade Proposals

UofCSoxFan
07-16-2009, 10:46 AM
Paul Sullivan's latest mailbag asking Cubs fans for trade proposals:

http://blogs.chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports_hardball/2009/07/paul-sullivans-cubs-mailbag-1.html

Granted he asked for "wacky" but some of these are nuts. They make some of the WSI proposals seem sane:

Some highlights:

-Jake Fox and Jose Ascanio for Joakim Soria
-Jake Fox, Milton Bradley, and PtbNL to Texas for Michael Young.
-Kevin Gregg, Fukudome, and Jake Fox for Kerry Wood and Grady Sizemore
-Jake Fox and Sean Marshall for Roy Halladay!!!
-Mike Fontenot, Rich Harden and Josh Vitters for Ian Kinsler
-Aaron Miles and Angel Guzman for Kerry Wood and Mark DeRosa
-Aaron Miles for Kerry Wood and Carl Pavano

Cubs fans seem to think the rest of the league is their triple AAA system. Not every team is the Pittsburgh Pirates and is willing to take crap for future/current all-stars.

WizardsofOzzie
07-16-2009, 10:52 AM
3 trades to get Kerry Wood back? I suppose they are just excited to see him not occupying a space on the DL, and are willing to take on that 5+ ERA

kobo
07-16-2009, 11:18 AM
Paul Sullivan's latest mailbag asking Cubs fans for trade proposals:

http://blogs.chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports_hardball/2009/07/paul-sullivans-cubs-mailbag-1.html

Granted he asked for "wacky" but some of these are nuts. They make some of the WSI proposals seem sane:

Some highlights:

-Jake Fox and Jose Ascanio for Joakim Soria
-Jake Fox, Milton Bradley, and PtbNL to Texas for Michael Young.
-Kevin Gregg, Fukudome, and Jake Fox for Kerry Wood and Grady Sizemore
-Mike Fontenot, Rich Harden and Josh Vitters for Ian Kinsler
-Aaron Miles and Angel Guzman for Kerry Wood and Mark DeRosa
-Aaron Miles for Kerry Wood and Carl Pavano

Cubs fans seem to think the rest of the league is their triple AAA system. Not every team is the Pittsburgh Pirates and is willing to take crap for future/current all-stars.
How can you bash Cubs fans for some of these proposals when Sullivan himself asked for "wacky" ideas? They did what he asked. I've seen just as wacky ideas here on WSI.

PatK
07-16-2009, 11:40 AM
Most Cubs fans I know highly overvalue Jake Fox.

They think he's around 21-22.

BleacherBandit
07-16-2009, 01:40 PM

Idiots...:rolleyes:

kittle42
07-16-2009, 01:44 PM
Not really fair to bash these when (1) they were asked for, and (2) I see worse here.

UofCSoxFan
07-16-2009, 03:51 PM
Not really fair to bash these when (1) they were asked for, and (2) I see worse here.

Granted the premise of the article was stupid to begin with. But I think "wacky" can refer to outside the box, somewhat radical trade ideas and doesn't have to mean "completely insane, has no chance of happening, we trade you our overpriced crap for your up and coming talent." The fact that people put thought into these responses and, maybe excluding the Aaron Miles ones, and that the offers weren't completely "we'll trade you a farmhand for Tim Lincecum and Pablo Sandoval", leads me to believe the authors thought their ideas weren't completely unrealisitic.

I've heard many Cubs fans think Michah Hoffpauer and Jake Fox are worthy of very good players in return.

central44
07-16-2009, 04:19 PM
--Mike Fontenot, Rich Harden and Josh Vitters for Ian Kinsler

I would love to see Harden go to a team that has decided to ignore pitch counts.

This is probably one of the better suggestions on the list though, in terms of...having the other team actually consider it.

doublem23
07-16-2009, 04:29 PM

Paul Sullivan's paid to write, however, he's not a crazy guy posting on a fan website.

I wish I could be as poor at my job as Sullivan is at his.

C-Dawg
07-16-2009, 04:33 PM
It wasn't too many years ago, perhaps in 2003 or 2004, where another Tribune writer was opining in his column what the Cubs would need to do to have an outfield consisting of Sammy Sosa, Magglio Ordonez and Carlos Beltran. Mind, you, Maggs and the Sox were in First at the time.

LoveYourSuit
07-17-2009, 01:13 AM

Agree.

Some of the stuff here is 10X worse

Fields + Richard as the top end of a package for Roy? :rolleyes:

russ99
07-17-2009, 07:11 AM
Agree.

It was Poreda, Flowers, Richard, Fields and Torres/Carter for Roy. Check my post. How is that worse than Fox & Marshall?

TDog
07-17-2009, 10:38 AM
Most trade proposals from fans are ridiculous. On a San Francisco radio station earlier this year, I heard a Giants fan call in to say Brian Sabean should be fired because he refuses to trade a couple of mid-level prospects to the Nationals for Ryan Zimmerman.

There is a lot of that at WSI, people wanting to trade fringe players for stars. And I've seen much worse than Cubs fans propose here.

Pretty much all of the fans-suggesting-trades posts are ridiculous.

doublem23
07-17-2009, 10:43 AM
Agree.

So that makes it OK for a syndicated writer at a nationally recognized newspaper to do the same?

Come on.

RadioheadRocks
07-17-2009, 11:30 AM
3 trades to get Kerry Wood back? I suppose they are just excited to see him not occupying a space on the DL, and are willing to take on that 5+ ERA

I think they just want to take those "We Got Wood" t-shirts out of mothballs. :D:

TornLabrum
07-17-2009, 12:29 PM
How can you bash Cubs fans for some of these proposals when Sullivan himself asked for "wacky" ideas? They did what he asked. I've seen just as wacky ideas here on WSI.

The only difference is that with the WSI threads, nobody asked for wacky ideas.