PDA

View Full Version : I want an All-Star game at Wrigley

BigP50
07-14-2009, 11:30 PM
mainly just because of the Home Run derby, that would be so crazy to see a derby in that park, roof top shots and beyond.

And the AL would obviously win so that would make Cubs fans mad which is always fun.

twinsuck
07-14-2009, 11:33 PM
I think they had one in 1990

MtGrnwdSoxFan
07-14-2009, 11:33 PM
I'd be surprised if the Cubs are in the running for the ASG any time soon.

Granted, they did host it in '90 or '91, so their time is coming soon, but I think it'll be another 6-8 years, since the Sox hosted it in '03.

My guess would be '15 or '16 (if Chicago doesn't get the Olympics)

Boondock Saint
07-14-2009, 11:34 PM
:chunks

BigP50
07-14-2009, 11:34 PM
I think they had one in 1990

wasn't alive, lol

Boondock Saint
07-14-2009, 11:39 PM
wasn't alive, lol

I'm so old.

BigP50
07-14-2009, 11:47 PM
Im only 16, but at least ive seen the ASG at the Cell in '03 and a World Championship in '05

:bandance:

central44
07-15-2009, 12:05 AM
I think there's been talk of having it there on the 100th anniversary of the Cubs playing at Wrigley, which I believe would be 2014. It sounds like the timing would be about right.

BigP50
07-15-2009, 12:24 AM
and they still wont have a WS

Lip Man 1
07-15-2009, 12:36 AM
Here you go:

http://www.retrosheet.org/boxesetc/1990/B07100NLS1990.htm

Lip

TDog
07-15-2009, 12:43 AM
I think there's been talk of having it there on the 100th anniversary of the Cubs playing at Wrigley, which I believe would be 2014. It sounds like the timing would be about right.

I don't believe the Cubs began playing at Clark and Addison until 1916. The park was built (designed by the Comiskey Park architect) for the Chicago Whales of the Federal League. The Cubs didn't start playing there until after the Federal League folded. They didn't call it Wrigley Field until 1926 or thereabouts.

Old Comiskey hosted the first All-Star Game in 1933, got it again in 1950 and then again in 1983.

MtGrnwdSoxFan
07-15-2009, 12:49 AM
I don't believe the Cubs began playing at Clark and Addison until 1916. The park was built (designed by the Comiskey Park architect) for the Chicago Whales of the Federal League. The Cubs didn't start playing there until after the Federal League folded. They didn't call it Wrigley Field until 1926 or thereabouts.

Old Comiskey hosted the first All-Star Game in 1933, got it again in 1950 and then again in 1983.

I think it will be safe to assume that the Sox will get it again in 2033. The question is, will that be the next ASG played at US Cellular?

drewcifer
07-15-2009, 12:51 AM
mainly just because of the Home Run derby, that would be so crazy to see a derby in that park, roof top shots and beyond.

And the AL would obviously win so that would make Cubs fans mad which is always fun.

Why would Cubs fans be mad becaue HRs are hit in their HR friendly park?

We have one too. It wouldn't make me mad. Would you be mad over that?

There were a **** ton of HRs hit last year in Yankee stadium. I don't think anyone was mad about that either. I don't think Mets fans gave a ****.

And, again, the AL WON despite having less HRs featued in their lineups for the season as compared to the NL.

So, who cares.

?

!

?!?

:confused:

P.S. - T-Dog, why are you continuing with the Wrigley crap?

MtGrnwdSoxFan
07-15-2009, 12:52 AM
Why would Cubs fans be mad becaue HRs are hit in their HR friendly park?

We have one too. It wouldn't make me mad. Would you be mad over that?

There were a **** ton of HRs hit last year in Yankee stadium. I don't think anyone was mad about that either. I don't think Mets fans gave a ****.

And, again, the AL won as well despite having less HRs featued in their lineups than the NL.

So, who cares.

?

!

?!?

:confused:

...I think he means the AL will win the game proper, not the derby. That's what the Cub fans will be mad about.

Wait...now I'm confused....

drewcifer
07-15-2009, 12:58 AM
...I think he means the AL will win the game proper, not the derby. That's what the Cub fans will be mad about.

Wait...now I'm confused....

That's because the whole thread makes no sense.

Foulke You
07-15-2009, 01:43 AM
Wrigley *could* have a makeover by 2014 and this article mentions that they might want the all star game that year for the 100 year anniversary of the park:

http://www.suntimes.com/news/cityhall/1654319,CST-FIN-wrig07.article

whitesoxfan
07-15-2009, 03:25 AM
Actually a couple of friends and myself were talking about how a HR Derby at Wrigley would actually work out well because of all of the landmarks they have at that stadium. Of course it's a dump, we all know that. But at least in the case of a Derby, it would probably be one of the best derby's in recent memory.

Any time we could get an event as big as the ASG in the city is fine with me too.

Irishsoxfan
07-15-2009, 03:44 AM
And how are they going to fit the all star sized squad in that dressing room? Can you imagine Ozzie if he was the AL manager and had to go to that park.

Frater Perdurabo
07-15-2009, 08:04 AM
Actually a couple of friends and myself were talking about how a HR Derby at Wrigley would actually work out well because of all of the landmarks they have at that stadium. Of course it's a dump, we all know that. But at least in the case of a Derby, it would probably be one of the best derby's in recent memory.

Any time we could get an event as big as the ASG in the city is fine with me too.

I attended the 1990 HR derby at the Urinal.

Only Mark McGwire hit one for the AL.

Ryne Sandberg hit 6 or 7 for the NL. And that was it.

The Old Timers Game was better. Ernie Banks bobbled several easy grounders at SS. Dick Allen crushed a mammoth HR on a line drive that landed in the deepest part of the LCF bleachers, not far from the scoreboard.

I want Mags back
07-15-2009, 08:34 AM
I was at All-Star workout day in '90.

I was 10 months old.

russ99
07-15-2009, 09:01 AM

By then they might be able to trash the park (other than the recently re-built bleachers) and gut re-build it, which seems to me the only way the Cubs would get the ASG anytime soon.

DumpJerry
07-15-2009, 09:11 AM
By then they might be able to trash the park (other than the recently re-built bleachers) and gut re-build it, which seems to me the only way the Cubs would get the ASG anytime soon.
Why is that needed? They host the World Series every year in their minds and the stadium holds up just fine.

Hitmen77
07-15-2009, 01:35 PM
I'm so old.

I know. I can't believe 1990 was 19 years ago. That does make me feel old.

Im only 16, but at least ive seen the ASG at the Cell in '03 and a World Championship in '05

I think the following NL teams will likely get the ASG before the Cubs get it again:

Arizona (they have it in 2011), San Diego (new stadium), Philadelphia (new stadium), Washington (new stadium, city hasn't hosted since '69), Miami (new stadium in 2012), NY Mets (new stadium), Los Angeles (Dodgers haven't hosted since 1980, but maybe they won't get it so soon after Anaheim has the game in 2010).

So, if MLB sticks with alternating between AL and NL parks every year, the Cubs probably won't get the game again until sometime in the 2020s. By then, some Sox fans on this site will be telling you that they weren't even born yet for the Sox 2003 ASG host and 2005 WS win.:redneck

Railsplitter
07-15-2009, 02:52 PM
It would be worth it just for the All-Star Fan Fest. I was there for the one in 2003 and enjoyed it.

PKalltheway
07-15-2009, 06:17 PM
I know. I can't believe 1990 was 19 years ago. That does make me feel old.

I think the following NL teams will likely get the ASG before the Cubs get it again:

Arizona (they have it in 2011), San Diego (new stadium), Philadelphia (new stadium), Washington (new stadium, city hasn't hosted since '69), Miami (new stadium in 2012), NY Mets (new stadium), Los Angeles (Dodgers haven't hosted since 1980, but maybe they won't get it so soon after Anaheim has the game in 2010).

So, if MLB sticks with alternating between AL and NL parks every year, the Cubs probably won't get the game again until sometime in the 2020s. By then, some Sox fans on this site will be telling you that they weren't even born yet for the Sox 2003 ASG host and 2005 WS win.:redneck
Where's Cincinnati? I've been waiting for that big announcement from MLB for the last few years and have went away disappointed every time.:(::whiner:

Hitmen77
07-15-2009, 09:39 PM
Where's Cincinnati? I've been waiting for that big announcement from MLB for the last few years and have went away disappointed every time.:(::whiner:

Thanks for the correction. I just looked it up and they last hosted in 1988 (at old Riverfront Stadium, of course). So you'd think their turn would be coming up soon.

TwinKess
07-16-2009, 10:44 AM
Don't forget we're getting a new stadium next year!

Hitmen77
07-16-2009, 12:40 PM
Don't forget we're getting a new stadium next year!

I was really only looking at upcoming NL candidates to host the ASG since the initial topic was about Wrigley's turn to host.

If MLB sticks with alternating between AL and NL parks for the ASG, then the Twins getting the game doesn't really affect the Cubs wait for another game. That being said, it's not a guarantee that MLB will always alternate. They already deviated from this tradition once recently when the Pirates and Giants hosted consecutive games in 2006-07.

As far as AL teams go, the waiting list is shorter. First of all, there are only 14 AL teams vs. 16 teams in the NL. Also, I'm guessing that you can pretty much drop Oakland and Tampa Bay as candidates until such a time that they get new ballparks. Of the 12 remaining AL teams, after the Royals host in 2012, the Twins will have gone the longest without hosting and with the new ballpark, I would expect that they are top candidates to get the 2014 game.

ChicagoHoosier
07-22-2009, 11:09 AM
I really am bummed I didn't take part in any of the events in the 2003 ASG when it was here. Guess I need to wait until 2030-something. Do they basically award it to a new city every year? Or should I say, it is fairly certain it would be hosted by the White Sox in the next 30 years?

ChiSoxGirl
07-22-2009, 12:25 PM
I really am bummed I didn't take part in any of the events in the 2003 ASG when it was here. Guess I need to wait until 2030-something. Do they basically award it to a new city every year? Or should I say, it is fairly certain it would be hosted by the White Sox in the next 30 years?

I was fortunate enough to have gone to the All-Star Game when it was here six years ago. A friend of mine has season tickets and invited me to go with her. I'd just graduated college and didn't know whether to pull the trigger on the $125 ticket. My dad and uncle both told me I should do it because it's such a rare opportunity, and because "I'm young and don't have the financial responsibilities that they do." I sat up in Sec. 533 and had a perfect view of everything. When I was sitting there watching the pre-game festivities, I remember thinking, "There's only one thing that could be better than going to the All-Star Game." Little did I know I'd be at that "one better thing" just two years later!

eriqjaffe
07-22-2009, 12:53 PM
I really am bummed I didn't take part in any of the events in the 2003 ASG when it was here. Guess I need to wait until 2030-something. Do they basically award it to a new city every year? Or should I say, it is fairly certain it would be hosted by the White Sox in the next 30 years?They tend to like to give it to cities that haven't hosted in a while or have new parks to show off.

That being said, I would think that 2033 is a lock, as that would be the 100th anniversary of the 1st ASG (which, of course, was at Comiskey).

cub killer
07-24-2009, 11:54 PM
The 1990 ASG was the most boring ever. Long rain delays Uneventful. The only thing worth remembering about that game is the ovation for Ozzie Guillen when he was introduced as part of the AL All Star team

soxfan43
07-25-2009, 12:04 AM
The 1990 ASG was the most boring ever. Long rain delays Uneventful. The only thing worth remembering about that game is the ovation for Ozzie Guillen when he was introduced as part of the AL All Star team

I was lucky enough to go. I was pretty young so all I really remember was the rain delays and my favorite non Sox player at the time Darryl Strawberry.

1908<2005
07-25-2009, 01:34 AM
I heard they're planning on giving Wrigley an All Star Game for it's 100th anniversary after they finish all the renovations.

WSox597
07-25-2009, 09:01 AM
I went to the 2003 ASG with my brother. He's a fan of the "other team" and the NL.

The NL led most of the way, until a Rangers rookie by the name of Blaylock blasted a home run.

That was much fun.

I do have a program from the '83 game at Comiskey Park, but I didn't attend. A friend bought me one. So I actually have a program from both most recent games in Sox parks.