PDA

View Full Version : What I don't understand about the Clayton....

Tragg
06-04-2002, 02:15 PM
situation.

Clayton was a disaster at the plate through 2001.
He has been a diaster this year. Yet, the manager would never sit him, never pinch hit for him, never try to do a thing about it.

Suddenly, AFTER Manuel gets ejected, Clayton is pinch hit for. Then we hear that he is on long term bench status.

Why the sudden change of heart?

It appears that the main goals of the manager and gm are job security, accomplished via smooch smooch.

Jerry_Manuel
06-04-2002, 02:25 PM
He wasn't benched in 2001, simply because by the time it would have made sense to bench him, the season was over. It was his first season with the Sox, so people were willing to cut him some slack.

He's benched now because the team needs to start winning some games. It's very clear this guy can't hit, and right now the offense is slumping. If the bats were smokin like they were in April he'd still be out there.

Williams is going to be the GM for as long as he wants. He doesn't have to worry about smooching anybody.

FarWestChicago
06-04-2002, 02:54 PM
Originally posted by Jerry_Manuel
He wasn't benched in 2001, simply because by the time it would have made sense to bench him, the season was over. It was his first season with the Sox, so people were willing to cut him some slack. Actually, he threw a huge public fit when threatened with benching last year and Uncle Jerry took him out for ice cream instead.

Jerry_Manuel
06-04-2002, 03:07 PM
Originally posted by FarWestChicago
Actually, he threw a huge public fit when threatened with benching last year and Uncle Jerry took him out for ice cream instead.

Was this in April? My point was that the season was over at the end of April. Your not going to bench a player you just traded for 2 or 3 weeks into the season, that's all I was saying.

PaleHoseGeorge
06-04-2002, 03:07 PM
Actually, he threw a huge public fit when threatened with benching last year and Uncle Jerry took him out for ice cream instead.

:jerry
"Like I said before, West, my nephew still has lots of ice cream cones left in him!"

duke of dorwood
06-04-2002, 03:11 PM
Hope his 4 million $ from this year is invested well-he'll never see that again

RedPinStripes
06-04-2002, 05:04 PM

LOL!