PDA

View Full Version : Another Chance at a Northside/Southside Double Header

beasly213
07-14-2009, 09:42 AM
I was just looking at the Sox schedule and realized that there is another chance for baseball fans to catch a Cubs game during the day and a Sox game at night.

On July 30th the Cubs have a makeup game against the Astros at 1:20 and the White Sox play the Yankees at 7:11 at US Cellular.

Just an FYI for those who might have missed their chance last time. I know I'm going to attempt the two stadium double header. :smile:

voodoochile
07-14-2009, 09:46 AM
FYI, they're properly termed subway doubleheaders. I suppose you could substitute the word(s) Redline or El Train for the word subway...:smile:

beasly213
07-14-2009, 10:44 AM
FYI, they're properly termed subway doubleheaders. I suppose you could substitute the word(s) Redline or El Train for the word subway...:smile:

How about "EL Double header!"

forrestg
07-14-2009, 11:30 AM
Has the sox or any other team ever played a double header with two different teams in the same day?

eriqjaffe
07-14-2009, 11:38 AM
Has the sox or any other team ever played a double header with two different teams in the same day?Yep.

On September 25, 2000, the Cleveland Indians hosted the Sox (http://www.baseball-reference.com/boxes/CLE/CLE200009251.shtml) in a makeup game during the day, and then hosted the Twins (http://www.baseball-reference.com/boxes/CLE/CLE200009252.shtml) in their regularly scheduled game that night.

roylestillman
07-14-2009, 12:58 PM
Can somebody remind me of the year that both the Cubs and the Sox opened on the same day? The Sox played the day game and the Cubs the night game. I went to both, but the Cubs game ended up being rained out.

Back in the 80's when the Brew Crew were in the AL, we used to do Cubs in the afternoon and Sox vs. Brewers in Milwaukee at night.

voodoochile
07-14-2009, 01:51 PM
Can somebody remind me of the year that both the Cubs and the Sox opened on the same day? The Sox played the day game and the Cubs the night game. I went to both, but the Cubs game ended up being rained out.

Back in the 80's when the Brew Crew were in the AL, we used to do Cubs in the afternoon and Sox vs. Brewers in Milwaukee at night.

It was the year the season opener got pushed back 3 games because of a strike. Otherwise it wouldn't have happened. I too went to both games that year. I remember the date 4/9 because it's my Mom's Bday, but don't recall the year.

roylestillman
07-14-2009, 02:41 PM
It was the year the season opener got pushed back 3 games because of a strike. Otherwise it wouldn't have happened. I too went to both games that year. I remember the date 4/9 because it's my Mom's Bday, but don't recall the year.

Looked it up 4/9/90, the last Opening Day at old Comiskey and Wrigley's first attempt at a night Opener. Cub game went two innings and was called.

TDog
07-14-2009, 04:10 PM
How about "EL Double header!"

Or "el programa doble," unless I'm mistaken about the gender.

It may be a doubleheader to fans who enjoy seeing two games involving four teams in the same city in the same day -- some might drive all the way from Alsip for the occasion, but it's not a doubleheader.

But I've been to Wrigley Field. Short of the White Sox playing in the World Series or the White Sox playing a team other than the Cubs, no circumstances under which I would voluntarily return come to mind.

cub killer
07-24-2009, 11:52 PM
Looked it up 4/9/90, the last Opening Day at old Comiskey and Wrigley's first attempt at a night Opener. Cub game went two innings and was called.

That was after their first attempt at a night game got rained out on 8/8/88. Then later in the 1990 season, the All Star Game at the Urinal would be rained upon. Many were saying that God didn't want night games at wrigley. Maybe he doesn't. He sure doesn't want them to win a World Series.