PDA

View Full Version : 7-26-2009 Sox at Tigers switched to 8 PM start.

Mr.Creosote
07-14-2009, 09:06 AM
I got great seats to the Sunday, July 26th game at Comerica. It WAS a 1:05 start. It was also “Kids Run The Bases” after the game. My grandsons, two boys 3 & 4 yrs old, live in Howell, Michigan.
Yesterday I got a postcard from the Tigers organization stating that since ESPN picked the game up the start time was changed to 8 PM (or whenever those things start).
Now I have to burn a vacation day and the boys will most likely not be able to run the bases because they probably won’t last through the game, even with naps. And that means I probably won’t be able to see the end. Dammit!
I really hate ESPN.

munchman33
07-14-2009, 09:13 AM
I got great seats to the Sunday, July 26th game at Comerica. It WAS a 1:05 start. It was also “Kids Run The Bases” after the game. My grandsons, two boys 3 & 4 yrs old, live in Howell, Michigan.
Yesterday I got a postcard from the Tigers organization stating that since ESPN picked the game up the start time was changed to 8 PM (or whenever those things start).
Now I have to burn a vacation day and the boys will most likely not be able to run the bases because they probably won’t last through the game, even with naps. And that means I probably won’t be able to see the end. Dammit!
I really hate ESPN.

No offense, but you should have planned for this happening ahead of time. That Sunday game times can change for the game of the week is public knowledge, and with both teams near or at the top of the division the last month or so, it was all the more likely. It sucks and if it were me I wouldn't like it either, but it was always something that could have happened. There are many reasons to "hate ESPN," but picking the best matchup for their game of the week is a reason to like them.

Walker29
07-14-2009, 09:20 AM
I must say I think that is pretty good customer service that the Tigers sent out a postcard regarding the game time change. Comerica is a really nice park, get there early and enjoy White Sox batting practice! There is also a bunch of different kids activities inside the ballpark if I remember correctly from 2004, the last time I was there.

voodoochile
07-14-2009, 09:29 AM
Yeah, sorry that your plans got messed up but as an out of town fan, being able to watch games on the TV is a cool thing.

soxfanreggie
07-14-2009, 09:31 AM
Sorry things got messed up, but I am personally glad I'll be watching this on tv rather than on the Internet or listening to the radio.

Mr.Creosote
07-14-2009, 09:31 AM
I must say I think that is pretty good customer service that the Tigers sent out a postcard regarding the game time change. Comerica is a really nice park, get there early and enjoy White Sox batting practice! There is also a bunch of different kids activities inside the ballpark if I remember correctly from 2004, the last time I was there.

We've been there many times. Prior to 2006 it was REALLY easy to get great seats for the Sox appearances.

soxfan21
07-14-2009, 10:55 AM
Hope we get a Sunday night home game sometime this year. I love going to Sunday night games at The Cell!

chisoxfanatic
07-14-2009, 11:43 AM
Hopefully things turn out exactly like they did in the two Sunday night games against the Tigers last year.

35th&Shields
07-14-2009, 12:29 PM
No offense, but you should have planned for this happening ahead of time. That Sunday game times can change for the game of the week is public knowledge, and with both teams near or at the top of the division the last month or so, it was all the more likely. It sucks and if it were me I wouldn't like it either, but it was always something that could have happened. There are many reasons to "hate ESPN," but picking the best matchup for their game of the week is a reason to like them.

Mr. Creosote has every reason to be annoyed and to direct his annoyance at ESPN. The Tigers and MLB advertised a game for a 1:05 start, he bought tickets for the 1:05 start, and then they switched the game. Your argument that he should have essentially "read the fine print" gives way too credit to MLB. The odds of this game getting moved were slim and there was no way back in April that he could have or should have planned for it. By your logic we should prepare ahead of time for any game being moved. It's illogical and puts the burden on the consumer.

He gone
07-14-2009, 01:28 PM
That's the bad thing about buying tickets way in advance. I'll be there Friday evening and I shouldn't have to worry about them moving the time unless the early game runs over :o:

HomeFish
07-14-2009, 01:33 PM
July 26 is the 5th anniversary of the Torii Hunter/Jamie Burke incident.

hi im skot
07-14-2009, 02:00 PM

I've already ordered the cake.

DumpJerry
07-14-2009, 02:01 PM
So? That was a Sox/Twins' game. This is a Sox/Tigers' game. I guess since the Sox' opponent for both game starts with a "T," it should be worth noting.....:shrug:

kobo
07-14-2009, 02:04 PM
Mr. Creosote has every reason to be annoyed and to direct his annoyance at ESPN. The Tigers and MLB advertised a game for a 1:05 start, he bought tickets for the 1:05 start, and then they switched the game. Your argument that he should have essentially "read the fine print" gives way too credit to MLB. The odds of this game getting moved were slim and there was no way back in April that he could have or should have planned for it. By your logic we should prepare ahead of time for any game being moved. It's illogical and puts the burden on the consumer.
Every schedule that is printed before the season begins always says subject to change. Even on the whitesox website on the schedule page it says in bold letters at the top "game times are subject to change". As a fan buying tickets you should always be aware that the game time can change, especially if it's a weekend game.

VeeckAsInWreck
07-14-2009, 02:04 PM

Webster's Dictionary Defines this as a "Non Sequitur"

TDog
07-14-2009, 02:31 PM
That's the bad thing about buying tickets way in advance. I'll be there Friday evening and I shouldn't have to worry about them moving the time unless the early game runs over :o:

It's a wonder anyone other than people with season ticket plans buys baseball tickets in advance considering how badly fans are often treated.

In this situation, it would be fair if fans were offered a chance to exchange their tickets. But, of course, that isn't even a consideration.

Chez
07-14-2009, 04:30 PM

I'm confused. Am I supposed to hate ESPN for the typical complaint of always ignoring the Sox or am I supposed to hate ESPN for putting them on the Sunday Night game for the entire nation to watch? Sheesh.

doublem23
07-14-2009, 04:39 PM

Actually, I think its 1/15

People who watch television are consumers too, and considering how much these networks pay for the rights to broadcast these games, very important consumers. I understand the OP's annoyance, but you can't blame ESPN or other networks for wanting to broadcast the game that will get the biggest audience.

doublem23
07-14-2009, 04:44 PM
It's a wonder anyone other than people with season ticket plans buys baseball tickets in advance considering how badly fans are often treated.

In this situation, it would be fair if fans were offered a chance to exchange their tickets. But, of course, that isn't even a consideration.

Most people who buy season tickets generally live in the vicinity of the park, so a move from the afternoon to night isn't devastating. Plus, this game got moved with week's notice in advance so someone could rearrange their schedule or try and sell them. It's not like people will show up to the park at 1 PM, only to find the game doesn't start for 7 hours.

chisoxfanatic
07-14-2009, 04:49 PM
The odds would actually be 1:14...The probability would be 1/15. :tongue:

SSrep
07-14-2009, 05:21 PM

People who watch television are consumers too, and considering how much these networks pay for the rights to broadcast these games, very important consumers. I understand the OP's annoyance, but you can't blame ESPN or other networks for wanting to broadcast the game that will get the biggest audience.

Yeah..6% chance...slim

#1swisher
07-14-2009, 06:19 PM
I really hate ESPN.

May I suggest a couple of sodas, ice cream, cotton candy this will keep them up!:tongue:

TDog
07-14-2009, 07:43 PM
Most people who buy season tickets generally live in the vicinity of the park, so a move from the afternoon to night isn't devastating. Plus, this game got moved with week's notice in advance so someone could rearrange their schedule or try and sell them. It's not like people will show up to the park at 1 PM, only to find the game doesn't start for 7 hours.

When I was a season ticket holder (White Sox and Brewers at different times), moving a starting time would be an inconvenience. The same applies to postseason tickets when you understand game times

Last summer, I was in Chicago when the Sox were playing in Wrigley. No way am I going to go to a game in Wrigley Field, but if the Sunday game were originally scheduled as an afternoon game and it was moved to a night game and I had bought tickets in advance, I wouldn't have been able to attend the game. I go to games in San Francisco and Oakland, special trips for me, and used to go to games in Anaheim, trips even more distant, and I could always get great tickets at the park. I got great seats at the Cell last summer When I visited Chicago. If I'm coming in from out of town, and unless I'm going to a Modesto Nuts game, I am, I don't see any reason to buy tickets in advance.

35th&Shields
07-15-2009, 08:41 AM

1/15 = 6.67% that the game would be moved. So he had a 93%+ chance of being able to rely on the game being at the time scheduled. That's assuming 1/15 is accurate, I'm not sure you can say that every matchup has an equal chance of being moved.

Bottom line is the guy can be annoyed. I agree that we should be happy ESPN is putting the WS on Sunday night. I also agree that the consumer should be able to return their ticket. I'm sure there is someone else who would buy it for a national Sunday night game.

Over By There
07-15-2009, 09:14 AM
Sorry for your inconvenience, but for many of us having a game on national television is a good thing. I'll probably get 2 live games on TV that week instead of just the usual Saturday night WGN game, which is huge to me.

Chez
07-15-2009, 09:49 AM
One more thing; while I sympathize with Mr. Creosote's situation, doesn't everyone who makes plans to see a game run the risk of having their plans ruined by the weather (unless the game is in a dome)? If the game was to be played at the scheduled time and then the game is rained out, Mr Creosote is still SOL. In fact, there's probably a better chance of a rain out occurring than a starting time change!

TDog
07-15-2009, 12:00 PM
One more thing; while I sympathize with Mr. Creosote's situation, doesn't everyone who makes plans to see a game run the risk of having their plans ruined by the weather (unless the game is in a dome)? If the game was to be played at the scheduled time and then the game is rained out, Mr Creosote is still SOL. In fact, there's probably a better chance of a rain out occurring than a starting time change!

That i's why, with the exception of season tickets and the postseason, you should never buy baseball tickets in advance.

RichFitztightly
07-15-2009, 08:24 PM

It's funny you say that... when I was in college, a few buddies of mine bought tickets to see the Cardinals play one Saturday night. Well, they get there just as everybody was walking out of the park because they didn't realize Fox had picked up the game and it started earlier.

I still don't think they've lived that down.

Bruizer
07-16-2009, 01:56 PM
I took my daughters (Cub Fans) to see the July 6th Braves at Cubs game scheduled to start at 7:05 PM. We arrived early, only to find out the game was moved up to 6:05 pm due to I think ESPN picking it for their Monday Night game. Fortunately, we only missed a couple of batters. I should have paid attention more to the news. Oh well, we did get home a lot earlier than we would have otherwise. :cool:

Bru

Oblong
07-16-2009, 02:23 PM
That i's why, with the exception of season tickets and the postseason, you should never buy baseball tickets in advance.

What if you wanted to get good seats?

bigdommer
07-16-2009, 03:01 PM
Yeah..6% chance...slim

Actually, by that time in the season, about 1/3 of the league is out of it, and everyone can name most of those teams at the beginning of the year (O's, Jays, Royals, A's, Nats, Pads, Pirates, Reds, D'Backs). So, if you looked at the schedule before opening day, the only games that you would probably put ahead of this one would be Cards/Phils, Braves/Brewers, Twins/Angels. Maybe Mets/Stros and Marlins/Dodgers were in the mix. So, there was probably more like a 1 in 6 chance this game would get picked.

jabrch
07-16-2009, 03:30 PM
By your logic we should prepare ahead of time for any game being moved.

Actually, that's 100% correct. It is much more in the interest of baseball fans that ESPN get to put a most watchable game on national TV, and inconvenience 35K people than to make ESPN pick who they are going to have before the season starts - thus assuring us more Cubs, Yankees and Red Sox games - and inconveniencing EVERYONE who is sick of having those three teams forced down our throats.

It's unfortunate for those it impacts negatively - but the good far outweighs the bad.