PDA

View Full Version : Buehrle to pitch 2nd tomorrow in ASG

illini81887
07-14-2009, 12:28 AM
Per CSN Chuck Garfien interviewing Joe Maddon

JermaineDye05
07-14-2009, 12:31 AM
Over Greinke? That's odd, I guess Maddon feels safer with a veteran.

chisox616
07-14-2009, 01:05 AM
I think he talked to Maddon about how important this was to him as a Cardinal fan. It's pretty special for Mark, so while he's not the best, he's the one who will appreciate pitching there the most.

Great for him, as a fellow Sox/Cards fan :D:

Boondock Saint
07-14-2009, 01:35 AM
I'm happy for Buehrle, but this move leaves the AL with one left handed pitcher left for the rest of the game.

edit: Just noticed, chisox616, it's Maddon, not Madden.

wsf4l
07-14-2009, 02:20 AM
I'm happy for Buehrle, but this move leaves the AL with one left handed pitcher left for the rest of the game.

Who cares, the AL is going to win anyway, it's not like they're gonna bring in a lefty to face one batter or something.

Boondock Saint
07-14-2009, 02:39 AM
Who cares, the AL is going to win anyway, it's not like they're gonna bring in a lefty to face one batter or something.

I think it makes a big difference. The NL has Howard, Fielder, Gonzalez, McCann, Hawpe and Hudson on the bench. All of them bat either lefty or switch, and we've got Brian Fuentes to counter all of that.

HangWiffum
07-14-2009, 02:54 AM
yeah matchups are serious business because this game matters soooooooo much!

chisox616
07-14-2009, 03:04 AM

Whoops. Thanks for the correction, honestly I just guessed, haha.

BigP50
07-14-2009, 03:36 AM
im so happy for MB56, this will be a huge thrill for him

DumpJerry
07-14-2009, 08:55 AM
Richard was available..........

CHISOXFAN13
07-14-2009, 10:12 AM

Ill take my chances that Nathan, Papelbon and Rivera can retire a left-handed hitter when need be.

Sargeant79
07-14-2009, 10:46 AM
I wonder if this means they're planning on using him for more than one inning, which would likely push back his first 2nd half start to Sunday or Monday.

Bobby Thigpen
07-14-2009, 10:57 AM
He should be fresh enough. He didn't work much on Sunday.

WhiteSoxFTW
07-14-2009, 10:58 AM

Have you even looked at the starting lineups? The NL has a much better shot to win this game than they have in years past. Plus, Lincecum is a beast.

dakotasox
07-14-2009, 11:49 AM
I think it makes a big difference. The NL has Howard, Fielder, Gonzalez, McCann, Hawpe and Hudson on the bench. All of them bat either lefty or switch, and we've got Brian Fuentes to counter all of that.

OK, Ozzie.

I wonder if this means they're planning on using him for more than one inning, which would likely push back his first 2nd half start to Sunday or Monday.

He is only going 1 inning.

Have you even looked at the starting lineups? The NL has a much better shot to win this game than they have in years past. Plus, Lincecum is a beast.

Yeah Lincecum is a beast but so is Halladay and they are both only going about 2 innings. You want to know who is going to win? Flip a coin.

PKalltheway
07-14-2009, 11:50 AM
Ill take my chances that Nathan, Papelbon and Rivera can retire a left-handed hitter when need be.
The NL thought the same thing in 2003 when they had Wagner, Smoltz and Gagne in their bullpen. Nothing is a given.

35th&Shields
07-14-2009, 12:02 PM
Fair use snippet from today's Chicago Tribune:

"[Buehrle] also took a call from AL manager Joe Maddon after pitching only 3 1/3 innings Sunday and giving up three home runs in the White Sox's 13-7 loss to the Twins.

"I've had the jokes thrown at me," [Buehrle] said. "Maddon called me and told me to stay home because I pitched like crap. And he asked me if I was going to get in the Home Run Derby and pitch in it."

peelwonder
07-14-2009, 01:14 PM
yeah matchups are serious business because this game matters soooooooo much!

Actually it kinda does......

BigP50
07-14-2009, 01:30 PM
just found out that I have to miss the game cause i have a basketball game tonight :angry:

I really wanted to see MB pitch

FielderJones
07-14-2009, 02:51 PM
just found out that I have to miss the game cause i have a basketball game tonight :angry:

I really wanted to see MB pitch

There are some low-cost DVRs out there ...

veeter
07-14-2009, 03:36 PM
I think he talked to Maddon about how important this was to him as a Cardinal fan. It's pretty special for Mark, so while he's not the best, he's the one who will appreciate pitching there the most.

Great for him, as a fellow Sox/Cards fan :D:Maybe not the best talent, but I'll bet he wins more career games than 90% of the pitchers on the roster.

BNLSox
07-14-2009, 09:42 PM
1-2-3 nice outing!

tacosalbarojas
07-14-2009, 09:48 PM
1-2-3 nice outing!Vintage 56...two minutes pitched and three outs recorded.

chisoxfanatic
07-14-2009, 09:52 PM
During the Obama interview the previous inning, they commented that they'd interview him during Buehrle's inning, but they probably wouldn't be given enough time to do a solid interview due to Buehrle's pitching speed. I got a little bit of a chuckle out of that comment!

JB98
07-14-2009, 09:52 PM
Congrats to Mark on a terrific outing tonight. Made it look easy against Utley, Pujols and Braun.

ChicagoHoosier
07-14-2009, 09:55 PM
Of course, i was on the phone in a hotel room and missed it. One of the only reasons I was watching. Missed the interview with Burls too. Anything fun said in the interview with Buehrle?

chisoxfanatic
07-14-2009, 10:01 PM
Of course, i was on the phone in a hotel room and missed it. One of the only reasons I was watching. Missed the interview with Burls too. Anything fun said in the interview with Buehrle?
He said the guys in the dugout were giving it to him a little when Obama came out with the Sox jacket. :smile:

LoveYourSuit
07-14-2009, 10:38 PM
During the Obama interview the previous inning, they commented that they'd interview him during Buehrle's inning, but they probably wouldn't be given enough time to do a solid interview due to Buehrle's pitching speed. I got a little bit of a chuckle out of that comment!

Buck and McCarver, those 2 sons of bitches never have anything nice to say about the Sox.

BigP50
07-14-2009, 11:27 PM
did he get a nice ovation?

oeo
07-14-2009, 11:29 PM
did he get a nice ovation?

Yeah. By far the loudest of any AL player.

BigP50
07-14-2009, 11:37 PM

Good

AnkleSox
07-14-2009, 11:49 PM

Which makes it even funnier that Lilly definitely got the loudest boos of any player.

BigP50
07-14-2009, 11:51 PM
Which makes it even funnier that Lilly definitely got the loudest boos of any player.

Sox just own the Cubs

DumpJerry
07-14-2009, 11:57 PM
Sox just own the Cubs
Ummm.....no. It's a Cards/Cubs thing.

Burls got big props because, well, he's from there and wants to play for them.

BadBobbyJenks
07-15-2009, 01:50 AM
I wonder if it will get to a point where national broadcasters will talk about how good Buehrle is not how quick he works.

oeo
07-15-2009, 01:55 AM
I wonder if it will get to a point where national broadcasters will talk about how good Buehrle is not how quick he works.

:scratch:

They listed about five things he's leading in or close to the lead in since his career started; Buck also said he's been nothing but automatic his entire career.

BadBobbyJenks
07-15-2009, 02:06 AM
:scratch:

They listed about five things he's leading in or close to the lead in since his career started; Buck also said he's been nothing but automatic his entire career.

Well now that I think of it, he did say he has been one of the best pitchers since 2001, but them talking about Burls working quick just stuck out more than anything else.

Sam Spade
07-15-2009, 02:08 AM
Well now that I think of it, he did say he has been one of the best pitchers since 2001, but working quick just stuck out more than anything else.

Wait so you are blaming the broadcasters for talking about the same thing that sticks out to you?

BadBobbyJenks
07-15-2009, 02:10 AM
Wait so you are blaming the broadcasters for talking about the same thing that sticks out to you?

I meant them talking about him working quickly stuck out the most because they kept talking about it.

Sam Spade
07-15-2009, 02:11 AM
I meant them talking about him working quickly stuck out the most because they kept talking about it.
Well that makes a lot more sense.

Boondock Saint
07-15-2009, 03:18 AM

I think they talk about it because it's a bit of a trademark, like Tim Lincecum's delivery or Jim Thome's batting routine.

asindc
07-15-2009, 10:19 AM

Actually, I appreciated that they mentioned several stats that proved Burly man's consistent excellence. They happen to be the kinds of stats you mention to propeller heads that make them bang their calculators in confusion and frustration.

thedudeabides
07-15-2009, 10:43 AM
Actually, I appreciated that they mentioned several stats that proved Burly man's consistent excellence. They happen to be the kinds of stats you mention to propeller heads that make them bang their calculators in confusion and frustration.

And a couple of weeks ago Buck did the game on Fox with Buehrle pitching. He was heaping praise on him and even brought up graphics showing that he has been as good as Sabathia, while making half the money.

jabrch
07-15-2009, 10:53 AM
They happen to be the kinds of stats you mention to propeller heads that make them bang their calculators in confusion and frustration.

I've never seen that. What I usually see is that either they blame it on "luck", "small sample size", "anomoly". That's the great thing about propellerheads - if it fits their model, it is a great statistic. When it doesn't, then they are able to point out all the reasons why statistical analysis is an invalid predictor in baseball.

soxfanreggie
07-15-2009, 01:01 PM
He's not a power pitcher, but if I were a manager, I would love a guy like that on my roster. He may not be the best "one-game" pitcher where he's going to throw a 2-hit shutout with 10+ K's, but he's going to be pretty darn consistent to the point where he has an overall better record and ERA. If I could pick pitchers to sign to 5+ year extensions, he would be one of the top few on my list. I don't have the fear of him getting hurt or fizzling after one or two years like some other pitchers I've seen.

Getting off topic a bit, I have no problem whatsoever coming up with an extension that allows him more freedom to see his family and that compensates him more for his production. He's set to make $14 million a year thru 2011. I have no problem giving him another 2 or 3 years on top of that at $16 or 17 million a year with travel accommodations for his family on the road and some time off to see his family after he starts. There are few players I would do that for, but he's one of them. Perhaps he'd consider allowing us to add the 2012 year option ($15 million) he has if he's traded. Maybe he'd consider that if he was dead-set on retiring after this contract.