PDA

View Full Version : Cubs' draft thus far...

Randar68
06-04-2002, 02:07 PM
Wish I had their draft at this point....good set of early picks.

21 ROBERT BROWNLIE ST U NJ RUTGERS RHP R/R 6'0" 210 10/05/1980 4YR 56k | 300k

COMMENT: Strong, compact, durable body. Looks taller than he is. Body similar to Rick Reed. Does it easy with live, quick arm. Ball jumps out of hand. Late-darting hammer knuckle curve is out pitch. Circle change is a late diver.

32 LUKE HAGERTY BALL ST U LHP R/L 6'7" 230 04/01/1981 4YR 56k | 300k

COMMENT: Mark Mulder-type body. Lean, lanky build on large frame. Long arms, strong legs. Loose arm with average fastball. Tight slider with downward, three-quarter tilt, occasionally bites late. Change sinks.

36 CHADD BLASKO PURDUE U RHP R/R 6'6" 215 03/09/1981 4YR 56k | 300k

COMMENT: Extra tall with long, lean legs. Fastball with sink. Downer curveball with fair bite. Tries to use both sides of plate. Power arm.

38 MATTHEW CLANTON ORANGE COAST COL RHP R/R 6'2" 210 04/16/1981 JR 56k | 300k

COMMENT: Big, strong, well-proportioned. Built like Darren Dreifort. Live arm, Major League fastball with occasional plus tailing movement. Sinks when down. Major League movement on sinking circle change. Tight rotation on both downer and sweep curveballs. Good arm speed. Challenges hitters. Hides ball well.

56 BRIAN DOPIRAK DUNEDIN HS 1B R/R 6'4" 225 12/20/1983 HS 56k | 300k

COMMENT: A physical horse, solid muscle throughout. Well-conditioned athlete. Physically mature, built similar to young Jose Canseco. Powerful stroke with light tower, raw power. Really puts on show during batting practice. Good bat speed with extension and lift in swing. Ball really jumps off bat. Good carry on throws from outfield. Fair actions around bag. Some stiffness in actions, but agile enough to play corner outfield

62 JUSTIN JONES KELLAM HS LHP L/L 6'4" 185 09/25/1984 HS 56k | 300k

COMMENT: Long, slender frame. Rangy with plenty of room to fill out. John Smiley-like build. Loose arm, good extension and balance. Lively fastball with late run and sink. Three-quarter tilt curve, occasionally goes backdoor. Good feel for playable change that has late, diving action. Aggressive, hits spots. Has idea on mound, poised, good rhythm.

93 WILLIAM PETRICK MORRIS HS RHP R/R 6'6" 220 04/29/1984 HS

COMMENT: Extra-large, big-boned frame. Fair arm speed. Good fastball velocity with occasional down sink. Fair rotation, late-biting downer curveball. Circle change with occasional deception still developing. Around plate with three pitches. Raw arm strength but crude mechanics. Football player.

96 MATTHEW CRAIG U RICHMOND SS S/R 6'2" 198 04/16/1981 4YR

COMMENT: Narrow, rangy build. Wiry-strong build, similar to Jay Bell. Good idea at plate. Handles bat well from both sides, but better as lefty. Gap-to-gap and flashes power from left. Playable glove and solid arm. Better runner underway. Knows the game.

112 RICHARD HILL U MICHIGAN LHP L/L 6'4" 185 03/11/1980 4YR

COMMENT: Slender, narrow frame. Long, loose limbs, like Oakland's Mark Mulder. Fastball has easy tailing action with occasional jump and will turn over occasionally. Velocity 88-89 mph, topping out at 90. Occasional curveball has some bite. Straight change deceptive at times, shows promise. Tries to move ball around.

123 SAMUEL RICK PALATKA HS C L/R 6'3" 205 09/08/1983 HS

COMMENT: Tall, lean and wiry. Eddie Taubensee-type build. Good carry on throws. Frames well behind plate. Ball comes off bat with authority. Pull hitter with some long-ball power. Dedicated player that loves to play. Works hard at game.

153 SHAWN SCOBEE RIO LINDA HS CF R/R 6'1" 205 10/11/1984 HS

COMMENT:

183 CHRISTOPHER WALKER GEORGIA SOUTHERN U OF R/R 5'8" 180 07/03/1980 4YR

COMMENT: Marvin Benard body type. Tries to slap down on ball. Defensively gets excellent read off bat, first step and route to ball. Just goes and gets it. Tough to pitch to. Line-drive swing, makes contact. Gets out of box well. Legit runner with baseball tools, kind pitchers love to have playing behind them. Self-made player.

kevingrt
06-04-2002, 02:44 PM
Who Cares About The Flubs

Spiff
06-04-2002, 02:59 PM
Originally posted by Randar68
56 BRIAN DOPIRAK DUNEDIN HS 1B R/R 6'4" 225 12/20/1983 HS 56k | 300k

COMMENT: A physical horse, solid muscle throughout. Well-conditioned athlete. Physically mature, built similar to young Jose Canseco. Powerful stroke with light tower , raw power . Really puts on show during batting practice. Good bat speed with extension and lift in swing. Ball really jumps off bat. Good carry on throws from outfield. Fair actions around bag. Some stiffness in actions, but agile enough to play corner outfield

Vsahajpal
06-04-2002, 07:56 PM
If you had told me at the beginning of the year that the Cubs would land Bobby Brownlie, I'd have had you committed to a mental hospital. Wow, they got lucky. And I didn't think Hagerty would get past the White Sox at 18 or the Indians at 22.

Randar68
06-04-2002, 08:00 PM
Originally posted by Vsahajpal
If you had told me at the beginning of the year that the Cubs would land Bobby Brownlie, I'd have had you committed to a mental hospital. Wow, they got lucky. And I didn't think Hagerty would get past the White Sox at 18 or the Indians at 22.

As I said, I would have taken the Cubs draft this year hands down over what the Sox drafted. I would guess Brownlie, if healthy, is closer to the majors than Ring. Good old Scott Bora$$.

He sure seems to be great about getting his players picked the highest in the draft lately

Really, though, there are only about 5 teams out there now that will even risk drafting one of his guys in the first round...

Vsahajpal
06-04-2002, 08:07 PM

As I said, I would have taken the Cubs draft this year hands down over what the Sox drafted. I would guess Brownlie, if healthy, is closer to the majors than Ring. Good old Scott Bora$$.

He sure seems to be great about getting his players picked the highest in the draft lately

Really, though, there are only about 5 teams out there now that will even risk drafting one of his guys in the first round...

No question. I was shocked that one of those 5 teams, the Rangers, didn't draft Brownlie. Oh well, we need all the help we can get.

CerberusWG
06-04-2002, 08:13 PM

No question. I was shocked that one of those 5 teams, the Rangers, didn't draft Brownlie. Oh well, we need all the help we can get.

Wic, you obviously know the minors and prospects quite well, and have a question. if you were at #18, who would you take, Ring or Hagerty?

CerberusWG
06-04-2002, 08:14 PM

Who would you have taken at 18, Vic? Ring or Hagerty?

Vsahajpal
06-04-2002, 08:18 PM
Originally posted by CerberusWG

Who would you have taken at 18, Vic? Ring or Hagerty?

Hagerty.

If I were Laumann, I'd have drafted Jeff Francouer, Kevin Jepsen, Joe Blanton, or Jeff Clement, if not Hagerty.

But I still like Ring.

LongDistanceFan
06-04-2002, 10:21 PM

Hagerty.

If I were Laumann, I'd have drafted Jeff Francouer, Kevin Jepsen, Joe Blanton, or Jeff Clement, if not Hagerty.

But I still like Ring. i would've drafted blanton, hagerty of even clement in that order of availability.

Randar68
06-04-2002, 10:23 PM
Originally posted by LongDistanceFan
i would've drafted blanton, hagerty of even clement in that order of availability.

To me, order doesn't matter, it would have been one of those 3 or Neighborall (sp?) or Brownlie

LongDistanceFan
06-04-2002, 10:26 PM

To me, order doesn't matter, it would have been one of those 3 or Neighborall (sp?) damn i forgot all about him......... you are right......