PDA

View Full Version : Manny Acta fired

GoGoCrede
07-13-2009, 12:05 AM
Just got an ESPN text about it, will post a web link when it's up.

Here - http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=4323256

GregO23
07-13-2009, 12:06 AM
Just got it too...Not a surprise at all

BigP50
07-13-2009, 12:09 AM
very expected

chisoxfanatic
07-13-2009, 12:58 AM
If Riggleman did in fact get the interim managing position, how great would it be for him to stick it to the Cubs next weekend! :D:

pythons007
07-13-2009, 08:07 AM
This was about 2 months too late!

asindc
07-13-2009, 08:11 AM
Nats fans are rejoicing today.

Viva Medias B's
07-13-2009, 08:53 AM
And Eric Wedge still survives, for now.

07-13-2009, 08:57 AM
And Eric Wedge still survives, for now.

I don't know how and why. I've been asking this for years.

Viva Medias B's
07-13-2009, 09:00 AM
I don't know how and why. I've been asking this for years.

But considering how successful we have been against the Tribe recently, for the most part, I think the Indians should keep Wedge.

palehozenychicty
07-13-2009, 09:09 AM
But considering how successful we have been against the Tribe recently, for the most part, I think the Indians should keep Wedge.

Sure. Keep the 2005 AL Executive of the Year too.

MeteorsSox4367
07-13-2009, 10:41 AM

Whoever the new Nats' manager is, the front office absolutely has to get the man some pitching.

If Mike MacDougal is on your team...

jabrch
07-13-2009, 10:50 AM
I don't watch much Nats baseball - but I don't see how it is Acta's fault. To me, this is just change for change's sake.

That roster is terrible.

asindc
07-13-2009, 11:04 AM
Whoever the new Nats' manager is, the front office absolutely has to get the man some pitching.

If Mike MacDougal is on your team...

Believe or not, MacD has been mostly solid for the Nats. You know, change of scenary and all that.

Most Nats fans realize that the FO is in a transition phase since ownership waited way too long to fire Bowden. Among Bowden's many failings was the failure to pursue at least one low-risk veteran pitcher (can you say Bartolo Colon?) that could mentor the young staff.

asindc
07-13-2009, 11:07 AM
I don't watch much Nats baseball - but I don't see how it is Acta's fault. To me, this is just change for change's sake.

That roster is terrible.

As I stated in the post directly above, I think Bowden was the main villian for this season. While most Nats fans wanted Acta fired, I have been somewhat ambivalent about him, mainly because the FO did not do him any favors while he was the manager. Since he is gone, though, I rather see a young up-and-comer hired who has a strong track record with developing players than a re-tread.

khan
07-13-2009, 11:08 AM

This fetid pile of **** of a franchise has fans? Really?

Domeshot17
07-13-2009, 11:18 AM
Nothing will change. Until the Nats get some talent nothing will make a difference.

MeteorsSox4367
07-13-2009, 11:38 AM
Nothing will change. Until the Nats get some talent nothing will make a difference.

As someone who does admit to watching the Nats on the MLB package, there is some talent there (Ryan Zimmerman) along with a few others. One thing, however, I would like the Nats to do is stop trying reclamation projects to fill outfield spots.

They've had guys like Milledge, Pena, and Dukes who've not done a hell of a lot of good for the Nats. If the team is going to be horse(bleep), at least do it with some young kids so you can give both of us Nats fans in Chicago some hope for the future.

Jollyroger2
07-13-2009, 01:24 PM
Believe or not, MacD has been mostly solid for the Nats. You know, change of scenary and all that.

Most Nats fans realize that the FO is in a transition phase since ownership waited way too long to fire Bowden. Among Bowden's many failings was the failure to pursue at least one low-risk veteran pitcher (can you say Bartolo Colon?) that could mentor the young staff.

A transition to what? Fans? This is a team that barely drew 20,000 fans on a gorgeous July 4 day game in the Nations Capital. I'm in the DC area and everyone I know that liked the Nats, or had a ticket plan or went to games, has given up.

There's very limited talent. Ownership and management (namely the Lerners and the vastly overrated gasbag Kasten) have done nothing to improve the team. They have fouled up on draft picks, made idiotic signings and trades, and are an embarrasment from the top down.

Firing Acta is kind of like trying to put your finger in the crumbling dam....after the dam collapsed a year earlier. Bowden may have been a moron too, but the Lerners and Kasten are the ones pulling the strings. Heck all Kasten's done publicly is market the team to out of town Mets and Phillies fans. God forbid he do something to improve the team and get the locals interested again.

Ugh that whole situation really bugs me. Was looking forward to having an NL team to follow, and they've become an embarrasing disaster.

asindc
07-13-2009, 02:25 PM
A transition to what? Fans? This is a team that barely drew 20,000 fans on a gorgeous July 4 day game in the Nations Capital. I'm in the DC area and everyone I know that liked the Nats, or had a ticket plan or went to games, has given up.

There's very limited talent. Ownership and management (namely the Lerners and the vastly overrated gasbag Kasten) have done nothing to improve the team. They have fouled up on draft picks, made idiotic signings and trades, and are an embarrasment from the top down.

Firing Acta is kind of like trying to put your finger in the crumbling dam....after the dam collapsed a year earlier. Bowden may have been a moron too, but the Lerners and Kasten are the ones pulling the strings. Heck all Kasten's done publicly is market the team to out of town Mets and Phillies fans. God forbid he do something to improve the team and get the locals interested again.

Ugh that whole situation really bugs me. Was looking forward to having an NL team to follow, and they've become an embarrasing disaster.

Good, stable management. They only fired Bowden in March, at least a year and a half too late, and too late this year to make any significant FA moves. They were damn lucky to get Adam Dunn.

These things take time. I know of a few former season ticket holders as well. I also know of a few who are still hanging in there. Patience is the key distinction.

Tragg
07-13-2009, 11:17 PM
Washington has some good players. Not only is the player Zimmerman good, the pitcher Zimmerman is really good too. They also have a lot of stiffs like Nick Johnson and some really bad pitchers. Yesterday, they had the bases loaded with 0 or 1 out for 2 consecutive innings and got zilch. I see why they made a change.

I know all the "wise guys" said that Pitt stole the "elite" lastings Millege from them; but that CF they got, Nyger Morgan, is someone Ozzie would absolutely love - and I would join him. Not a lick of power, but he's fast and can get on base. Looks like he plays a nice CF too.

DSpivack
07-13-2009, 11:43 PM
If Riggleman did in fact get the interim managing position, how great would it be for him to stick it to the Cubs next weekend! :D:

Well, I'll be at the game Saturday night.

Zakath
07-14-2009, 12:01 AM
82 errors in 87 games, which has led to 47 unearned runs, to add on top of the 5.21 ERA (in the NL).

And we thought the Sox had some defensive problems.

Your team can hit .264 all it wants, but you can't dig out of nearly 6 runs a game that way. Their BA is a point higher than ours, but there's a big difference when we're giving up nearly 2 runs a game fewer.

You give the guy crap to manage and expect him to turn them into a winner, then blame him when he doesn't. Rigglemann had better have a short-term lease on whatever he's renting in DC, because he's not going to have any more success.

Jollyroger2
07-14-2009, 07:42 AM
Good, stable management. They only fired Bowden in March, at least a year and a half too late, and too late this year to make any significant FA moves. They were damn lucky to get Adam Dunn.

These things take time. I know of a few former season ticket holders as well. I also know of a few who are still hanging in there. Patience is the key distinction.

In order to have patience, there has to be something to look forward to. There is nothing to look forward to with the Nats, barring major financial commitments by the almost non-existent owners. Their farm system is still horrid, and other than a couple guys here or there, their regular roster is a joke. It's an embarrassment.