PDA

View Full Version : Beckham's Leather Under the Weather???

PhillipsBubba
07-12-2009, 10:25 AM
GB has been a wonderful addition to the team, although I'm concerned about his defensive performance so far.

I'm sure playing a new position is part of the problem. He doesn't seem to have much range at third base...perhaps that will come with experience and better positioning.

That said, I am a fan and am excited about his future with our heroes!:D:

Ron Karkovice
07-12-2009, 10:50 AM
GB has been a wonderful addition to the team, although I'm concerned about his defensive performance so far.

I'm sure playing a new position is part of the problem. He doesn't seem to have much range at third base...perhaps that will come with experience and better positioning.

That said, I am a fan and am excited about his future with our heroes!:D:

On another note, Crede is leading all AL 3bs in fielding percentage. Wink.

DickAllen72
07-12-2009, 11:15 AM
Beckham belongs at 2B. If only the Sox had a real third-baseman...

Dub25
07-13-2009, 08:38 AM
Beckham belongs at SS, Alexei belongs at 2B.

palehozenychicty
07-13-2009, 09:06 AM
Beckham belongs at SS, Alexei belongs at 2B.

Indeed. I'm hoping that Getz will be part of any trade package that surfaces later on this month.

WhiteSoxFTW
07-13-2009, 10:17 AM
Indeed. I'm hoping that Getz will be part of any trade package that surfaces later on this month.

In the long-term, I agree that Beckham should be at SS and Alexei at 2b, but in the short-term I really like Chris Getz, and I like what he has been doing lately. If he continues his play, I think he would be a decent trading chip. I'd be sad to see him go, but he doesn't fit into the long-term plans.

Domeshot17
07-13-2009, 10:40 AM
Alexei has a long free pass for his ineptness at Short because Ozzie thinks down the road he is going to be special. I hope Beckham moves to the middle IF, because he has a bat that could be special there. However, I don't know if he has the big time power the best 3rd basemen do.

LoveYourSuit
07-13-2009, 10:48 AM
Problem is most of Beckham's errors have nothing to do with the position. They would be errors at any position he would play.

I think it's more mental than anything else.

UChicagoHP
07-13-2009, 11:09 AM
Beckham belongs at 2B. If only the Sox had a real third-baseman...

Agreed, his bat will be a bigger + at that position

However, that is also a new position for him, and it may take him a few years to get comfortable with those new angles as well. He looks pretty bad at 3B, that much is certain...

jabrch
07-13-2009, 11:12 AM
His glove needs some love.
His arm lacks charm.
He's whack at 3rd sack.

WhiteSoxFTW
07-13-2009, 11:13 AM
Agreed, his bat will be a bigger + at that position

However, that is also a new position for him, and it may take him a few years to get comfortable with those new angles as well. He looks pretty bad at 3B, that much is certain...

Still...he's better than Fields.

asindc
07-13-2009, 11:15 AM
Problem is most of Beckham's errors have nothing to do with the position. They would be errors at any position he would play.

I think the same can be said of Alexei. It's a concentration problem IMO.

UChicagoHP
07-13-2009, 12:00 PM
Still...he's better than Fields.

No doubt, and Beckham does deserve a year "grace-peroid" because he has never played 3B in his career...untill now. Fields just sucks with the glove, period...

Domeshot17
07-13-2009, 12:25 PM
He isn't that much better than Fields in the field. Josh is actually probably better at balls hit down the line, and definately has the far superior arm.

BigP50
07-13-2009, 12:33 PM
He can make all the throws, he kind of reminds me of Alexei actually. Strong arm and can make a spectacular play but your not surprised when u see an error

Britt Burns
07-13-2009, 12:44 PM
I think it is a real disservice to Beckham by making him learn a position in the majors. Its kind of nuts if you think about it...the best prospect we've had in years, he's rushed through the minors, the few questions about his abilities were concerning his defense to begin with, and the Sox give him all of what, 10 games at AAA at 3rd before sticking him there in the majors. That is not putting him at the optimal position to succeed.

Beckham's future is at 2nd, and he needs to play there day in and day out. That sucks for Getz-who I like a lot-but that is just the way it is.

DickAllen72
07-13-2009, 12:49 PM
I think it is a real disservice to Beckham by making him learn a position in the majors. Its kind of nuts if you think about it...the best prospect we've had in years, he's rushed through the minors, the few questions about his abilities were concerning his defense to begin with, and the Sox give him all of what, 10 games at AAA at 3rd before sticking him there in the majors. That is not putting him at the optimal position to succeed.

Beckham's future is at 2nd, and he needs to play there day in and day out. That sucks for Getz-who I like a lot-but that is just the way it is.
Thank you!

october23sp
07-13-2009, 01:56 PM
BWiJ1ltQeEY

oeo
07-13-2009, 02:09 PM
Alexei has a long free pass for his ineptness at Short because Ozzie thinks down the road he is going to be special. I hope Beckham moves to the middle IF, because he has a bat that could be special there. However, I don't know if he has the big time power the best 3rd basemen do.

I still think we would be wasting Alexei's athletic ability at second. Let's live throughthe growing pains as Gordon likely won't be any more than average at shortstop, anyway.

DonnieDarko
07-13-2009, 02:27 PM
I don't see where this Bacon to SS stuff comes from. Yeah, it's his natural position, but even in the minors, in AA, he had, what? 9-10 errors there? In not even a whole season? I think he's more suited for 2B, and Alexei should be given another year or two before we decide to move him. He HAS been better, at least from what I've seen, in the past few weeks ever since that one lollipop throw to 1B that nearly cost us that game against...who was it, again? The Royals?

My memory is not so good lately.

bigdommer
07-13-2009, 02:52 PM

actually, that's not true. he is constantly moving up and back, and on and off the line. with a power pull hitter, balls are going to get to him quicker, making the plays more difficult. at 2nd and short, he would be playing deeper, and has more time to process the play and thus can "pick a hop." 3rd is also the most difficult throw, which puts more pressure on the fielder.

PhillipsBubba
07-13-2009, 05:42 PM
His glove needs some love.
His arm lacks charm.
He's whack at 3rd sack.

He'll have all my support if he's moved to short!:rolleyes:

http://school.discoveryeducation.com/clipart/images/poets-corner-color.gif

jabrch
07-13-2009, 06:13 PM
He'll have all my support if he's moved to short!:rolleyes:

http://school.discoveryeducation.com/clipart/images/poets-corner-color.gif

The Sox don't give a **** - as long as he can hit.

Over By There
07-13-2009, 06:19 PM

Truth in prose...

chisoxfanatic
07-13-2009, 06:20 PM
Our pitchers better talk to Don Cooper before our season goes in the pooper.

jabrch
07-13-2009, 09:05 PM
The Twins Metrodome sucks.

I hate those ****s.

chisoxfanatic
07-13-2009, 09:10 PM
Ozzie had better start playing more of Jayson Nix...Then we'll definitely be in the playoff mix.

PhillipsBubba
07-13-2009, 09:22 PM
That bad outing by Buehrle merits a swirly!

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_K7u1kXwrXO0/Rk3D4mK5D4I/AAAAAAAAANk/Vo52Yf_iNSw/s320/swirly2.jpg