PDA

View Full Version : Ozzie: "Our defense is better even though we're making more errors."

A. Cavatica
07-12-2009, 01:32 AM
Not to my eyes. That three-shortstops infield of Uribe, Cabrera, and Ramirez was pretty amazing.

Discuss.

chisoxfanatic
07-12-2009, 01:39 AM
Alexei is a horrible, horrible, HORRIBLE SS. Some days I wish Bacon played SS, Alexei back at 2B, and Fields at 3rd. But, then again I don't want both Nix and Getz sitting.

I think they need some time to really gel and PRACTICE FIELDING during the all star break might be something for them to consider.

TDog
07-12-2009, 01:52 AM
I generally agree with Guillen on such judgments. He knows more about infield defense, and especially playing shortstop than I do, and probably most of the people who post here.

I liked the defense last year, especially on the infield. I was one of the few people here who liked Cabrera. Ramirez would probably be a better shortstop than Beckham. He might even make a better third baseman than Beckham, but I don't know if Ramirez has played more than a couple of innings there.

The Sox do have strong defenders at second and first. The big problem, though is third base. The pitching is better when Beckham is playing third base than when Fields is playing third base.

Noneck
07-12-2009, 02:04 AM
When your 2nd, SS and 3rd have less than 2 1/2 years MLB experience combined, its a tough situation.

oeo
07-12-2009, 02:12 AM
The Sox do have strong defenders at second and first. The big problem, though is third base. The pitching is better when Beckham is playing third base than when Fields is playing third base.

That's nothing more than coincidence. Beckham is not a substantial defensive upgrade at third base. Not a knock on him, but he's inexperienced.

Alexei is a horrible, horrible, HORRIBLE SS.

He's just not polished, IMO. I think his raw ability is wasted at second base.

chisoxfanatic
07-12-2009, 02:12 AM
I think that the only thing Bacon needs to really work on is fielding balls hit right down the 3rd base line. He's really good at getting balls that are hit several feet to the right of the base line all the way to the short stop position. If he can get to more of the balls hit right down the base line, I think he'll end up being a solid guy at 3rd base. He won't necessarily be Joe Crede or Robin Ventura good, but solid nevertheless.

hawkjt
07-12-2009, 11:10 AM
I think Ozzie is opining that this infield is more athletic than last years, with Alexei and Beckham over Cabrera and Uribe. Now, I think he is aware that they have made more sloppy/inexperience errors than last years very solid group...but that the upside of this group is a bit better.

When they settle in, they will be good.

JB98
07-12-2009, 12:16 PM
I think Ozzie is opining that this infield is more athletic than last years, with Alexei and Beckham over Cabrera and Uribe. Now, I think he is aware that they have made more sloppy/inexperience errors than last years very solid group...but that the upside of this group is a bit better.

When they settle in, they will be good.

Precisely. To me, there's no way our infield defense is better this year than last year. No way. But the group we have now still has a chance to improve. It could be better by the end of the season than it is now, whereas last year's infield was what it was.

DrCrawdad
07-12-2009, 12:27 PM
Precisely. To me, there's no way our infield defense is better this year than last year. No way. But the group we have now still has a chance to improve. It could be better by the end of the season than it is now, whereas last year's infield was what it was.

This years IF group has better "tools" and makes more spectacular plays (such as last night to end the game, by comparison OC doesn't have nearly the arm of Alexei, but OC was much more consistent on the regular plays.)

doublem23
07-12-2009, 01:21 PM
I must be the last guy left who wasn't a big fan of Cabrera's defense. He was very overrated.

Tragg
07-12-2009, 01:24 PM
Apparently Ozzie evaluates defense about as well as he evaluates offense.

thedudeabides
07-12-2009, 01:27 PM
Alexei is a horrible, horrible, HORRIBLE SS. Some days I wish Bacon played SS, Alexei back at 2B, and Fields at 3rd. But, then again I don't want both Nix and Getz sitting.

I think they need some time to really gel and PRACTICE FIELDING during the all star break might be something for them to consider.

:scratch:

He's had a couple of rough patches, but I couldn't disagree with you more.

I must be the last guy left who wasn't a big fan of Cabrera's defense. He was very overrated.

Nope. I'm on your team. His range and effort, at times last year, were very disappointing.

voodoochile
07-12-2009, 01:33 PM

That's just ridiculous...

DirtySox
07-12-2009, 01:39 PM

Huh?

Far from it. Alexei has mental lapses, but he is far from horrible.

Zisk77
07-12-2009, 01:56 PM
Our infield defense has tremendous range and takes away a lot of hits. it just needs to make the routine plays better. In fact, Getz has the most range of any sox 2nd baseman in my lifetime (Durham was good going to the hole but not so much up the middle, & awesome on flyballs).

spawn
07-12-2009, 02:37 PM

:scratch:

He's had a couple of rough patches, but I couldn't disagree with you more.

That's just ridiculous...

Huh?

Far from it. Alexei has mental lapses, but he is far from horrible.
Add me to the chorus that thinks this is absolutely crazy. His concentration has waned at times, but he's been far from horrible at SS.

kitekrazy
07-12-2009, 04:13 PM
It was either Hawk or Stone on the SCORE, said Alexi is afraid of the DP.

EuroSox35
07-12-2009, 04:55 PM
This experiment needs to end. I am sick of this team mishandling prospects. From years ago when we would take SP who weren't ready, throw them into the 5th starter spot, have them get lit up, and then never hear from them again, to Anderson platooning with Mackowiak, Erstad, and now Dewayne Wise, and more recently, taking a guy like Poreda away from his regular starts, not using him, and then saying he can't start because he has to be stretched out, and now being used sparingly as a reliever.

But more importantly, Beckham. We finally draft a star, he looks like he's going to live up, and we say 'not so fast, learn a new position while you're at it, even though you're great at your natural position'. It came close to costing us the game last night. Luckily Beckham is a good one because a lot of other kids would have crumbled from it.

Tragg
07-12-2009, 05:07 PM
There are really some widely disparate opinions as to the real range of Alexei. And that goes beyond this site.
Weird.

Frater Perdurabo
07-12-2009, 05:34 PM

I'm there with you. Defensively, Orlando Cabrera = Royce Clayton

Konerko05
07-12-2009, 05:48 PM
I'm there with you. Defensively, Orlando Cabrera = Royce Clayton

While Cabrera was not as good defensively as I expected him to be, he was rock solid. He was also an intelligent veteran presence who always had his head in the game. That kind of player makes all the infielders around him better.

Ramirez has potential to be better than Cabrera at SS, but right now he isn't. Uribe was a better SS than both players.

Ranger
07-13-2009, 10:48 PM

This is a classic horrible, horrible, HORRIBLE over exaggeration.

Brian26
07-13-2009, 10:53 PM
While Cabrera was not as good defensively as I expected him to be, he was rock solid. He was also an intelligent veteran presence who always had his head in the game. That kind of player makes all the infielders around him better.

I disagree with that, especially down the stretch last year when he was booting balls so much that I started questioning if he was doing it on purpose. Cabrera was completely overrated.

FielderJones
07-13-2009, 10:57 PM

It's a shame there's no videotape of Bee Bee Richard or Alan Bannister, so you can see what a truly horrible, horrible, horrible shortstop looks like.

Lip Man 1
07-13-2009, 11:22 PM
In Bannister's defense he was playing shortstop with a bad arm which is why when he went to Cleveland they moved him to the outfield if memory serves.

Lip