PDA

View Full Version : What about acquiring Garland or Davis from AZ?

jabrch
07-12-2009, 12:59 AM
?

Domeshot17
07-12-2009, 01:08 AM
Jon Garland has a 1.50 whip and a 4.53 ERA in a huge pitchers park in the NL East. That translates well over a 5 ERA in the AL central. No thanks, that ship has sailed, and hopefully it never comes back.

Maybe to Davis, he is better than Richard, but most are, but he fits Kennys cheap quick pick up want

CLR01
07-12-2009, 01:09 AM
I think our current 5th starters are getting sufficiently rocked as it is. I see no reason to bring Garland back.

We'll one...2005!!!!!!!:rolleyes:

dakotasox
07-12-2009, 01:26 AM
I'd love to get Garland back and I've been pushing for this. We can get him on the cheap too. Garland is a sinker-baller which works here. Give them some prospect who will never make the bigs.

slavko
07-12-2009, 10:33 AM
I'd love to get Garland back and I've been pushing for this. We can get him on the cheap too. Garland is a sinker-baller which works here. Give them some prospect who will never make the bigs.

Like Clayton Richard? I was a big fan of Garland in the good ole days and he was the 3rd starter in 2005 (if starting the 3rd game of the season counts), but he's not as good now as he was then. Better than Richard for sure.

Tragg
07-12-2009, 10:57 AM
He should be available for taking his salary...throw in an organizational minor leaguer to help the other gm save a little face.

bridgeportcopper
07-12-2009, 12:38 PM
Like Clayton Richard? I was a big fan of Garland in the good ole days and he was the 3rd starter in 2005 (if starting the 3rd game of the season counts), but he's not as good now as he was then. Better than Richard for sure.

Coop'll fix him!

guillen4life13
07-12-2009, 02:04 PM
Coop'll fix him!

Beat me to the punch. :redneck

It's Dankerific
07-12-2009, 02:11 PM
I think its ridiculous to trade for someone you could have just signed to a ****ing contract.

Craig Grebeck
07-12-2009, 02:53 PM
Garland blows.

gobears1987
07-12-2009, 03:15 PM
I think Kenny should've signed Garland. It would've made more sense than signing Bartolo. If it cost us little and we just have to eat his salary (which isn't too bad), then it is definitely worth it. We know Garland has had success in our park before, works well with our coaching staff, our catcher, and our ace.

Besides, the people saying Garland is finished are the same people who said Pods was finished.

kittle42
07-12-2009, 03:17 PM
Besides, the people saying Garland is finished are the same people who said Pods was finished.

I won't go into how backward this is.

gobears1987
07-12-2009, 03:19 PM
Garland would have more success in our park than Jake Peavy would've. Here is the reason why. Peavy is a fly ball pitcher. I think we all know why that is a recipe for disaster at our launching pad. We also know that Garland is a pitcher who keeps the ball down and produces ground balls. That is the type of pitcher the Sox need for our ballpark. You have to design your roster around the needs of your team and your home ballpark. That is why Garland makes perfect sense.

gobears1987
07-12-2009, 03:22 PM
I would say that Garland will never be the front of the rotation starter we wanted him to be at the beginning of the decade and thought he would become, but he is more than suitable as a 5th starter. If you put a rotation out an 09 rotation of Buehrle, Danks, Floyd, Contreras, and Garland, I think you may have a better rotation than the 05 team had. It could quite possibly be the best 1-5 rotation in the majors and would make our bullpen even better than it already is. That is a scary prospect for any team to face and will basically guarantee you win any series not played at the house of horrors. No more ****ing bullpen days, which our 5th starter has become.

jabrch
07-12-2009, 03:43 PM
I think Kenny should've signed Garland. It would've made more sense than signing Bartolo. If it cost us little and we just have to eat his salary (which isn't too bad), then it is definitely worth it. We know Garland has had success in our park before, works well with our coaching staff, our catcher, and our ace.

I'm not sure he'd have signed with us. He was out west - and seemed content to stay there. But if you can give up organizational filler for him, is that a legitimate option if you can't get a front of the line guy? He has to be a better option than Richard at this point? I'd like to see how Colon bounces back.

CLR01
07-12-2009, 03:50 PM
It could quite possibly be the best 1-5 rotation in the majors and would make our bullpen even better than it already is.

If you're drunk please quit posting.

kitekrazy
07-12-2009, 04:32 PM
If you're drunk please quit posting.

I have to mention this. I can't stop laughing when I see that photo of BA and that dolphin. Is there any meaning to it? It's so funny.

gobears1987
07-12-2009, 05:04 PM
If you're drunk please quit posting.Find me a better 1-5 rotation. Other teams have better talent at the top, but no team would have as deep of a rotation. (maybe the Giants) How would Garland not help our bullpen? All Richard does is give us a bullpen day when he gets yanked in the 3rd or 4th. It ****s the pen up for the next few days and hurts the team.

dakotasox
07-12-2009, 06:16 PM
I'll tell you after watching this bullpen the last 4 days, they look tired. Not only is Clayton killing us when he starts, but he is also starting to kill us when he doesn't start. We can flush this season down the drain unless we get a 5th starter who can eat innings. I don't see why we wouldn't go after Garland. He is making 6 million this year, so he is only due 3 million more. I guarantee you can get him for a couple minor leaguers who will never make it to the show.

soxfanreggie
07-12-2009, 06:31 PM
I do think we need to look at pitching moves, but I don't believe that bringing Jon back is the answer to them.

On a side note, I too wonder what CLR's picture means.

It's Dankerific
07-12-2009, 07:07 PM
I do think we need to look at pitching moves, but I don't believe that bringing Jon back is the answer to them.

On a side note, I too wonder what CLR's picture means.

CLR's favorite football team is the dolphins. he also likes brian. Another member made the picture where BA is punching a dolphin =)

Huisj
07-12-2009, 09:00 PM
I'll tell you after watching this bullpen the last 4 days, they look tired. Not only is Clayton killing us when he starts, but he is also starting to kill us when he doesn't start. We can flush this season down the drain unless we get a 5th starter who can eat innings. I don't see why we wouldn't go after Garland. He is making 6 million this year, so he is only due 3 million more. I guarantee you can get him for a couple minor leaguers who will never make it to the show.

The thing about the bullpen being tired is odd though, because they haven't really thrown all that many innings. I think going into today, the Sox had the 9th fewest relief innings of any team. If you look at the big 4 (Jenks, Thornton, Dotel, Linebrink), they are all on pace to only throw about 60-65 innings each this year. That's not exactly a taxing load for setup guys and closers (Jenks is way down on that list too, only on pace to throw 58 or 60 innings or something). Carrasco has thrown a ton, and that's really about it, and agree, he has looked tired lately, but why would the rest of the guys be tired? Well, other than that it's July and it's major league baseball and it's a long season, but that's true for every team.

Boondock Saint
07-12-2009, 09:10 PM
Find me a better 1-5 rotation. Other teams have better talent at the top, but no team would have as deep of a rotation. (maybe the Giants) How would Garland not help our bullpen? All Richard does is give us a bullpen day when he gets yanked in the 3rd or 4th. It ****s the pen up for the next few days and hurts the team.

The Red Sox. And I say that despite a deep hatred for all things Boston.

Craig Grebeck
07-13-2009, 02:30 PM
Garland would have more success in our park than Jake Peavy would've. Here is the reason why. Peavy is a fly ball pitcher. I think we all know why that is a recipe for disaster at our launching pad. We also know that Garland is a pitcher who keeps the ball down and produces ground balls. That is the type of pitcher the Sox need for our ballpark. You have to design your roster around the needs of your team and your home ballpark. That is why Garland makes perfect sense.
No, he doesn't. He doesn't miss bats at all. He gets hit quite hard. His groundball rate is down from last year. He's not a good pitcher.