PDA

View Full Version : 7/12/79 Disco Demolition

Lip Man 1
07-11-2009, 11:07 PM
Yikes!!!!!

July 12, 1979 - On this night, between games of a double header with the Tigers, the infamous "Disco Demolition" is staged. Sox fans riot after DJ Steve Dahl blows up a load of disco records. The second game is forfeited to Detroit. Among those in the stands that night for the game were future White Sox relief pitcher Donn Pall and future actor Michael Clarke Duncan (The Green Mile, Armageddon)

I had the chance to talk to Pall years later about that night...a night he'd never forget:

"I had seats in the lower deck, 3rd base side, about halfway up. As I walked around the park that night it was packed, but I thought I was at a Grateful Dead concert instead of a ball game. I literally saw a cloud of smoke hanging over the field. It's funny, I remember wondering if the record that I took with me to get in was going to be accepted as a disco record. I thought that the ticket takers wouldn't let me get in because it wasn't "disco"! (laughing) Remember you had to bring a disco record with you and if you did, you could get in for .98 cents."

"Between games after they blew up the records, people started running on the field. They weren't just trying to run the bases, they were ripping up the grass, trying to tear out the bases. I remember seeing some guy climbing down the foul pole! I saw a lot of people with gashes on their heads because people were throwing records around like frisbees. It reminded me of a concert where for a while a baseball game broke out. When that second game was declared a forfeit, I was pissed off! The Sox were pretty bad and they couldn't afford forfeiting a game! I was probably the only person who left the park that night upset over that loss."

Mike Veeck was the architect of the promotion that evening. In a long interview I conducted with him, he provided insight about what went wrong that night and why as well as growing up the son of the legendary, Bill Veeck. You can read the interview here (http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/../rwas/index.php?category=11&id=2520).

Lip