PDA

View Full Version : Sox' picks through 5 rounds...

Randar68
06-04-2002, 01:35 PM
18 ROGER RING SAN DIEGO ST U LHP L/L 6'0" 220 12/21/1980 4YR 56k | 300k

COMMENT: Solid, muscular frame, similar to Mike Stanton. Powerful, quick arm. Sneaky quick, live fastball. Heavy fastball that occasionally explodes last 10 feet. Deceptive circle change. Pit bull competitor. Very confident, wants ball now. Goes by middle name "Royce."

59 JEREMY REED CALIFORNIA ST U LF L/L 6'0" 185 06/15/1981 4YR 56k | 300k

COMMENT: Lean, muscular, athletic body. Well defined arms and legs. Good bat speed. Line-drive hitter with occasional power, hits to all fields. Solid defensively. Base-stealing threat. Type of player you want on your team.

90 JOSHUA RUPE LOUISBURG COL RHP R/R 6'2" 180 08/18/1982 JR 56k | 300k

COMMENT: Medium frame, average build. Well-proportioned. Body similar to Mike Mussina. Full wind-up with near-overhand delivery. Fastball has life down, flashes arm-side run. Loads of curveball spin, big downer, out pitch potential.

120 RYAN RODRIGUEZ KELLER HS LHP L/L 6'4" 215 07/10/1984 HS 56k | 300k

COMMENT: Tall, strong, athletic body, similar to John Rocker. Fastball occasionally runs into right-handed hitters, some sink when down. Straight change occasionally sinks away from righties. Plays center field and swings bat well. Loose arm. Repeats delivery well with command of pitches.

150 WILLIAM LAMURA CLEMSON U RHP R/R 6'1" 200 01/01/1981 4YR 56k | 300k

COMMENT: Large, muscular frame, similar to Kevin Appier. Compact, three-quarter delivery. Solid 89-91mph fastball with some tail and sink. Slider more like hard slurve but better than his curve. OK changeup that turns over to sink.

Randar68
06-04-2002, 01:47 PM
Scouting reports on first 5 guys...(only Ring was in BA's top 100 prospects list), Reed ranked #28 on BA's list of So. Cal. prospects only!

Royce Ring, lhp
Ring is the nation's best closer. He has three pitches he can throw effortlessly for strikes: an 88-91 mph fastball that tops at 94, a knee-buckling curveball and a changeup that has improved significantly this year. He resembles Randy Myers with his arm action, body type (6-foot-1, 215 pounds) and mound demeanor. He is a bulldog and wants the ball with games on the line. He led the Mountain West Conference with nine saves in 2001 in his introduction to the closer role, and his 15 saves this season ranked second in the country. A 41st-round pick in 1999 out of a San Diego high school, Ring should be picked late in the first round this year. Ranked #26 by BA

Jeremy Reed, of
Reed hasn't played up to expectations this spring after two solid years at Long Beach State and a summer season in which he led Team USA's college squad in batting (.366 in 101 at-bats). He projects as a fourth outfielder. An accomplished center fielder, he isn't a burner, doesn't throw that well and has nothing more than gap power... Ranked #180 by BA

Former Liberty RHP Josh Rupe transferred to Louisburg JC, where he has shown off an explosive 88-94 mph fastball and a plus curveball. He has poor mechanics, but his stuff could sneak him into the top five rounds . . . Ranked #148 by BA

Ryan Rodriguez is another big lefty (6-foot-4, 205 pounds) and he’s more athletic than White. Though he has good life on a fastball that reaches 91 mph, scouts wonder why he doesn’t throw his curveball more often. He tapered off after a good start this spring . . . Ranked #226 by BA

RHP B.J. LaMura has more juice in his arm—he can reach 92-94 mph—but hasn’t been as successful because he lacks their pitchability . . Ranked #216 by BA

Randar68
06-04-2002, 01:49 PM
Through 5 rounds we know this....

1) Sox not drafting based on ANYBODY's rankings...
2) Sox have passed some VERY good talent at each of their first 3 picks compared to who they selected
3) Sox should never draft a position player in the first 5 rounds. Our positional scouts don't know their asses from their elbows...

Tragg
06-04-2002, 02:18 PM
drafting a pitcher because he's a closer is bizarre.
Draft the best pitcher.
The best pitcher's can close if need be.

I understand about positional players. Problem is, that is what we need. Our GM is incapable of making a creative trade (young talent for young talent) so we get the claytons of the world because of our void in the minors.

Daver
06-04-2002, 02:45 PM
Originally posted by Randar68
Through 5 rounds we know this....

1) Sox not drafting based on ANYBODY's rankings...
2) Sox have passed some VERY good talent at each of their first 3 picks compared to who they selected
3) Sox should never draft a position player in the first 5 rounds. Our positional scouts don't know their asses from their elbows...

I would speculate that they are drafting based on signability......

duke of dorwood
06-04-2002, 03:08 PM
I would think drafting a "closer" already in that position will get him here sooner.

:nardi

I like fresh meat

Randar68
06-04-2002, 03:12 PM
Originally posted by daver

I would speculate that they are drafting based on signability......

I'll take that a step further and say CHEAP signability...

All the indications of Blanton and Hagerty and then those two were still BOTH on the board at that pick....

Things that make you go hmmmmmm.

At least we didn't "waste" a top 5 round pick on a catcher we weren't going to sign anyways...LOL!

LongDistanceFan
06-04-2002, 04:11 PM
Originally posted by Randar68

I'll take that a step further and say CHEAP signability...

All the indications of Blanton and Hagerty and then those two were still BOTH on the board at that pick....

Things that make you go hmmmmmm.

At least we didn't "waste" a top 5 round pick on a catcher we weren't going to sign anyways...LOL! well, no catching prospect.......

Daver
06-04-2002, 04:12 PM
Originally posted by LongDistanceFan
well, no catching prospect.......

That was the weakest position in the draft.

LongDistanceFan
06-04-2002, 04:16 PM
Originally posted by daver

That was the weakest position in the draft. i know...... but i thought there was a hs at the 3 round that may develop....... but with all the other cat prospect....... i guess we couldn't make room......... :D:

CerberusWG
06-04-2002, 04:20 PM
We just drafted Shane Scoville a Catcher out of the University of Southern Alabama.

Daver
06-04-2002, 04:20 PM
Originally posted by LongDistanceFan
i know...... but i thought there was a hs at the 3 round that may develop....... but with all the other cat prospect....... i guess we couldn't make room......... :D:

Or the Sox didn't want a repeat of what happened with the last two catchers they drafted........

RedPinStripes
06-04-2002, 04:47 PM
I was waiting to hear about a trade today for draft picks with someone like Detroit, Pitt, or Tampa bay. Guess not?

Champ Summers
06-04-2002, 04:52 PM
Draft picks can't be traded in baseball, also a player drafted by a team must be with the organization a full year before he can be traded.

RedPinStripes
06-04-2002, 05:01 PM
Originally posted by Champ Summers
Draft picks can't be traded in baseball, also a player drafted by a team must be with the organization a full year before he can be traded.

Sorry. Football mind interfears. lol

LongDistanceFan
06-04-2002, 07:11 PM
Originally posted by Champ Summers
Draft picks can't be traded in baseball, also a player drafted by a team must be with the organization a full year before he can be traded. but in some circles, they have been included in as "player to be name later"

kermittheefrog
06-04-2002, 09:12 PM
At first glance I was wondering what the hell the Sox are doing but it does make sense to not blow your budget on a weak draft which is what this is. I still don't understand Ring though, why a reliever in the first orund?