PDA

View Full Version : The case for Jermaine Dye as the Greatest White Sock Ever

pudge
07-11-2009, 01:34 PM
In light of JD being snubbed several times over for the All Star game, and Ozzie's latest quotes in the Trib about wanting to keep him beyond this season, I thought I'd discuss something that popped into my mind.

Bear with me here. When "Greatest White Sock" comes to mind, I suspect must of us immediately think "Frank Thomas" and I would be no exception. Maybe some would make a case for Harold Baines or Carlton Fisk, or some would dig even deeper into history, but it would be tough to argue against Big Frank, despite his off-field woes and lack of defensive.

Now presume for a moment that Jermaine Dye hits around 40 homers this season, and proceeds to stay with the club for another couple years, producing similar numbers. Is he not possibly the greatest to wear the uniform?

I say this without looking at the stats or crunching any numbers. I ask you, when has this man *not* produced for this team? I think he hit around .250 one season which was likely injury plagued, but other than that, he's been amazingly consistent - and consistently *great*. The fact that he isn't going to All-Star games or winning MVPs doesn't change the fact that his numbers have always been worthy. Thomas is the only other player I can remember being this consistent, with as much clutch hitting and power, for such a stretch of time. We're talking MVP-caliber consistency.

Then there's loyalty. Dye came here as a free agent when he could have gotten a lot more elsewhere, and he stayed! Never has he talked about leaving (ahem, Mark Buehrle). Never has he complained about salary (ahem, Frank Thomas). Never has he been in the news for something negative. While I have no idea what he's like with the fans, he seems to be the perfect man to represent an organization for the simple standpoint that he does his job and stays out of the limelight.

And of course, toss in the fact that he was the MVP of this team's only modern-day world championship, which in the end is the most important thing of all. If this team were to accomplish anything more in the post-season during his tenure, that would only add more weight to the argument.

Again, this assumes he has two more years like this one, which could be a long shot considering he'd be 37, but *if* that were to happen, I think you could make a strong case for Jermaine as simply the greatest player, man, whatever, to wear the uniform. Period.

Craig Grebeck
07-11-2009, 01:36 PM
Please.

soltrain21
07-11-2009, 01:37 PM
He has only played here for four years. I don't think he "qualifies."

Brian26
07-11-2009, 01:37 PM
Again, this assumes he has two more years like this one, which could be a long shot considering he'd be 37, but *if* that were to happen, I think you could make a strong case for Jermaine as simply the greatest player, man, whatever, to wear the uniform. Period.

Not even close when considering guys like Frank Thomas, Luke Appling, Billy Pierce, Fisk, Ventura, Fox, Baines, even Konerko.

voodoochile
07-11-2009, 01:40 PM
Sock?

Rohan
07-11-2009, 01:41 PM
I like Jermaine too but... :therapy:

dakotasox
07-11-2009, 01:41 PM
You guys are really harsh around here. If he sticks around and plays6 or 7 years, I'd definitely consider it.

Brian26
07-11-2009, 01:44 PM
You guys are really harsh around here. If he sticks around and plays6 or 7 years, I'd definitely consider it.

Six or seven more years, or six or seven total with the Sox? A lot of guys have played six or seven years with the Sox and put up good numbers.

Rohan
07-11-2009, 01:48 PM

There really is not much of an argument for it. On paper, the strongest point that was made by the original poster was his world series MVP title. And that's simply because we've only had a couple World Series.

But really, Crede could have just as easily become MVP of the series...

voodoochile
07-11-2009, 01:49 PM
The very first question to be answered is, "Is JD HOF eligible?" Right now, he's more like HOVVG, IMO, but not a shoe in for the Hall in any sense of the word. If he plays 5 more years at his present level and never moves to DH (because the voters actually don't like that), then he'd stand a chance, but right now he's not there and if he's not in the Hall, he's not the best Sox player ever.

And I would love to see the Sox extend JD for the final 3-4 years of his career.

ode to veeck
07-11-2009, 01:54 PM
Eddie Collins and Frank Thomas for my White Socks of all time, but Dye is damn good, a classy guy and strong Sox spirit, would love to see him stick around here with a new contract

A. Cavatica
07-11-2009, 02:00 PM
How long before the first "Is Gordon Beckham the greatest White Sox ever" post?

dakotasox
07-11-2009, 02:09 PM
How long before the first "Is Gordon Beckham the greatest White Sox ever" post?

He looks good. If he stays for his career, he could give Frank a run for his money.

A. Cavatica
07-11-2009, 02:10 PM
The very first question to be answered is, "Is JD HOF eligible?" Right now, he's more like HOVVG, IMO, but not a shoe in for the Hall in any sense of the word. If he plays 5 more years at his present level and never moves to DH (because the voters actually don't like that), then he'd stand a chance, but right now he's not there and if he's not in the Hall, he's not the best Sox player ever.

He's 35, his career batting average is .277, and he has 318 home runs.
Baseball-reference.com's Hall of Fame predictors have him less than halfway there. Five more seasons at his current level wouldn't put him over the top, and he's not going to keep outperforming his career numbers anyway.

pythons007
07-11-2009, 02:18 PM
He looks good. If he stays for his career, he could give Frank a run for his money.

Holy Crap! Are you serious? Dude he's just played in his first 30 games, and you think he's going to give Frank Thomas a run for his money!?!?!

PLEASE! I'm not saying Beckham won't be good but don't compare him to Frank Thomas until he has something under his belt.

LITTLE NELL
07-11-2009, 02:22 PM
Classy guy, very productive but not enough longevity with the Sox or is it Socks.

Boondock Saint
07-11-2009, 02:24 PM
I love and respect JD for what he's done for the Sox, but this sentiment is beyond ridiculous. Voodoo hit it on the head when he said that JD isn't even a HOFer, so why would we put him ahead of the guys that are?

I also think that JD would be the first guy to say that he isn't the greatest White Sox player ever, too.

Over By There
07-11-2009, 02:27 PM
Maybe in the top 10, certainly not in my top 5. I love JD, but I'm not even sure he'll go down as the "greatest" White Sox player amongst the guys currently on the team (Paulie and Buehrle, specifically).

Zisk77
07-11-2009, 02:30 PM
Dye is the second best (arguably third - Magglio) RF in Sox recent history behind Baines.

UChicagoHP
07-11-2009, 02:53 PM
Dye is most certainly one of the best talents to wear the Sox uniform, but he falls in the top 20-30, imo...

NDSox12
07-11-2009, 03:28 PM

I'm not sure why I started reading this thread to begin with, but this is definitely where I stopped.

DumpJerry
07-11-2009, 03:31 PM
:shoeless
Ahem.

thomas35forever
07-11-2009, 03:33 PM
When Jermaine wins two MVP awards with us, stay another 12 years, wins one or two batting titles, a Home Run Derby, and becomes a shoe-in for the HOF, then get back to me. But for now, Frank is the greatest Sox player of all-time.

downstairs
07-11-2009, 03:44 PM
Frank Thomas. End of story.

Frank Thomas is one of the best baseball players in the history of the game! Easily the best player of the 1990s. Sheesh. Its not even close.

Redus Redux
07-11-2009, 03:44 PM
Ive had arguments where people rank him as less of a Sox hero than Crede, which is so wrong to me.

They cite that Dye was acquired midcareer, whereas Crede was a homegrown talent.

Obviously now that Crede's gone, that's less of a point. But I cant believe how some people underrate Dye.

No, though, he's not in the conversation for best Sox ever.

goon
07-11-2009, 03:50 PM
You could possibly make the argument that no player has had such a great impact or put up such good numbers in their short time with the Sox. Maybe somebody could refute that if they go way back, Albert Belle's two seasons with the Sox were pretty good, though I think Dye has been better for the team.

JB98
07-11-2009, 03:58 PM
Wow. This thread is insane.

Dye as the greatest Sox player ever? That's nuts. I think Dye has been an underrated player throughout his career, even before he joined the Sox. But c'mon.

Beckham potentially better than Thomas? Beckham might be an All-Star player sometime soon, but c'mon now.

chisoxfanatic
07-11-2009, 04:01 PM
Wow. This thread is insane.
This is one of the most insane threads in WSI history, I'd say.

I wouldn't even put Frank Thomas as the best player in Sox history. There are guys like Nellie, Shoeless, and Aparicio who I'd even rank above him.

ode to veeck
07-11-2009, 04:13 PM
This is one of the most insane threads in WSI history, I'd say.

you must have missed a lot ... or joined recently lol

Ron Karkovice
07-11-2009, 04:16 PM
I remember seeing nelly and jackson live... they were good as hellll.. way better than frank.

dakotasox
07-11-2009, 04:18 PM
I'm not sure why I started reading this thread to begin with, but this is definitely where I stopped.

Wow. I thought that was so sarcastic that teal was implied. I guess I was wrong. Definitely not the first or last time.

ode to veeck
07-11-2009, 04:18 PM
:shoeless
Ahem.

we need a better image or scan of the historical photos to do better justice to Joe

http://what-the-hall.info/pix/jackson.jpg

voodoochile
07-11-2009, 04:19 PM
I remember seeing nelly and jackson live... they were good as hellll.. way better than frank.

You saw Jackson live? His last year with the Sox was 90 years ago.

DumpJerry
07-11-2009, 04:19 PM
I wouldn't even put Frank Thomas as the best player in Sox history. There are guys like Nellie, Shoeless, and Aparicio who I'd even rank above him.
Frank was one of, if the most, natural hitters in our history. He is in the top five all time. The only reason why Frank could not be considered the best ever is that he was never a gold glove candidate. Shoeless had a glove to go with his bat.

Beckham? Way, way too early to say. I see Beckham (in the long run) as more of a Pete Rose than a Frank Thomas. A guy who can hustle his butt off, get on base, advance the runners ahead of him and an above-average glove.

Frank was the guy you want to come up in the bottom of the Ninth, Sox down by two, two on, two outs. Beckham is the guy who would tie the game that moment, Frank would end it with one swing.

ode to veeck
07-11-2009, 04:20 PM
here's a nice one with Babe
http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://www.reflectionsymmetry.com/photography/Shoeless-Joe-Jackson-%26-Babe-Ruth-8X10-%2414.99.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.reflectionsymmetry.com/node/14&usg=__7IBW7Z-qW6Dmcex38tMceiNkY_g=&h=757&w=600&sz=91&hl=en&start=15&um=1&tbnid=hTHFyX8pZKdadM:&tbnh=142&tbnw=113&prev=/images%3Fq%3Dshoeless%2Bjoe%2Bjackson%26hl%3Den%26 rls%3Dcom.microsoft:en-us:IE-SearchBox%26rlz%3D1I7GGLR%26sa%3DN%26um%3D1

too bad about the watermark, gots to be long past the copyright protection

chisoxfanatic
07-11-2009, 04:20 PM
you must have missed a lot ... or joined recently lol
There have been a ton of them since I joined (which was pretty much when this board opened), but this one is way up there on the list.

DumpJerry
07-11-2009, 04:21 PM
Bo Jackson?

Mike Jackson who was in our bullpen in 2004?

DumpJerry
07-11-2009, 04:22 PM
here's a nice one with Babe
http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http: (http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://www.reflectionsymmetry.com/photography/Shoeless-Joe-Jackson-%26-Babe-Ruth-8X10-%2414.99.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.reflectionsymmetry.com/node/14&usg=__7IBW7Z-qW6Dmcex38tMceiNkY_g=&h=757&w=600&sz=91&hl=en&start=15&um=1&tbnid=hTHFyX8pZKdadM:&tbnh=142&tbnw=113&prev=/images%3Fq%3Dshoeless%2Bjoe%2Bjackson%26hl%3Den%26 rls%3Dcom.microsoft:en-us:IE-SearchBox%26rlz%3D1I7GGLR%26sa%3DN%26um%3D1)
It looks like Jackson is giving The Babe some tips.

Maybe this Jackson guy can replace Walker?

ode to veeck
07-11-2009, 04:23 PM
one with Cobb too

http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://www.reflectionsymmetry.com/photography/Shoeless-Joe-Jackson,-Cobb-%26-Lajoie-8X10-%2414.99.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.reflectionsymmetry.com/node/14&usg=__tG0kl8MXoHgcY8pLdTGgz37P5nQ=&h=486&w=600&sz=59&hl=en&start=37&um=1&tbnid=1bca_11HhpgVlM:&tbnh=109&tbnw=135&prev=/images%3Fq%3Dshoeless%2Bjoe%2Bjackson%26ndsp%3D21% 26hl%3Den%26rls%3Dcom.microsoft:en-us:IE-SearchBox%26rlz%3D1I7GGLR%26sa%3DN%26start%3D21%26 um%3D1

chisoxfanatic
07-11-2009, 04:25 PM
Bo Jackson?

:DJ

"You just hurt my feelings!!!"

voodoochile
07-11-2009, 04:26 PM
As to the argument about who is the greatest White Sox in history, you can make an argument for Nellie or Frank, IMO. Shoeless shouldn't be considered not only for being part of 1919, but for the brevity of his career. He only played with the team for 6 years.

Saying that anyone at all is WAY better than Frank is just flat wrong. There aren't many players in the history of the game who are WAY better than Frank.

Don't be like the haters who argue against him because of the negative media image and the fact he played DH for so long. We're AL fans. The DH IS a position in the AL...

ode to veeck
07-11-2009, 04:26 PM
Bo Jackson?

Good catch, I thought Karkovice was just taking us on some time travels ... maybe via "Project Tic-Tock"

http://www.tvparty.com/bgifs16/tunnel2.jpg

ode to veeck
07-11-2009, 04:28 PM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v335/june63/joejackson.jpg

without the watermark, obviously digitally retouched nicely too

LITTLE NELL
07-11-2009, 04:41 PM
Your profile has you born in 1987, how did you see Jackson and Nellie (not Nelly) live?

ode to veeck
07-11-2009, 04:43 PM
Your profile has you born in 1987, how did you see Jackson and Nellie (not Nelly) live?

the time tunnel obviously

dakotasox
07-11-2009, 04:46 PM

Obviously he is friends with Superman.

Boondock Saint
07-11-2009, 05:19 PM

You saw Jackson live? His last year with the Sox was 90 years ago.

Owned.

Besides, that's nothing, I taught Frank Thomas how to DH. I love it when he hits a touchdown.

TornLabrum
07-11-2009, 05:37 PM
As to the argument about who is the greatest White Sox in history, you can make an argument for Nellie or Frank, IMO. Shoeless shouldn't be considered not only for being part of 1919, but for the brevity of his career. He only played with the team for 6 years.

Saying that anyone at all is WAY better than Frank is just flat wrong. There aren't many players in the history of the game who are WAY better than Frank.

Don't be like the haters who argue against him because of the negative media image and the fact he played DH for so long. We're AL fans. The DH IS a position in the AL...

Frank was the second best hitter I've ever seen. Period. The best was Ted Williams.

ode to veeck
07-11-2009, 05:57 PM
Frank was the second best hitter I've ever seen. Period. The best was Ted Williams.

Ted was one of only like 6 guys to hit .400 after Shoeless Joe ... who did it in his rookie season

tstrike2000
07-11-2009, 06:16 PM
Please take two steps back and put the gun down!

Gammons Peter
07-11-2009, 07:03 PM
White Sock??

Never post here again

slavko
07-11-2009, 07:31 PM
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/huff-wires/20090220/obit-socks-the-cat/images/f2fdd882-c1d7-4a10-ab89-88be84b8134f.jpg

The Clintons cat.

soltrain21
07-11-2009, 08:20 PM
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/huff-wires/20090220/obit-socks-the-cat/images/f2fdd882-c1d7-4a10-ab89-88be84b8134f.jpg

The Clintons cat.

I've never seen that picture, and I just laughed for a really long time. The laugh may have been alcohol induced.

TDog
07-11-2009, 11:27 PM
Sock?

I was thinking the same thing ...

... and not because I saw in someones home out here a Jermaine Dye bobblehead in which he was wearing an A's uniform. I know Frank Thomas wore an A's uniform (fortunately not for long), but many won't be identifying Jermaine Dye with the White Sox when his career is through. Although such thoughts come upon reflection.

You have to go with Frank Thomas. If Harold Baines hadn't been traded by Larry Himes and bounced around, that is, if he head spent his entire career with the White Sox, you might be able to make an argument for Harold Baines, but that argument is only hypothetical and not worth the trouble.

Jermaine Dye, as much as I love him as a member of the White Sox and admire his Baines-like class, doesn't make the short list.

chisoxfanatic
07-11-2009, 11:30 PM
I know Frank Thomas wore an A's uniform (fortunately not for long), but many won't be identifying Jermaine Dye with the White Sox when his career is through. Although such thoughts come upon reflection.
Let's see...

He's played here several seasons, won a World Series here, won the World Series MVP here, represented us in the All Star game, won a Silver Slugger award with us.

Most of his great jewels have come HERE!

tacosalbarojas
07-11-2009, 11:30 PM
I was thinking the same thing ...

... and not because I saw in someones home out here a Jermaine Dye bobblehead in which he was wearing an A's uniform. I know Frank Thomas wore an A's uniform (fortunately not for long), but many won't be identifying Jermaine Dye with the White Sox when his career is through. Although such thoughts come upon reflection.

You have to go with Frank Thomas. If Harold Baines hadn't been traded by Larry Himes and bounced around, that is, if he head spent his entire career with the White Sox, you might be able to make an argument for Harold Baines, but that argument is only hypothetical and not worth the trouble.

Jermaine Dye, as much as I love him as a member of the White Sox and admire his Baines-like class, doesn't make the short list.I agree with most of what you say here, but you don't think people will identify JD as a White Sox (Sock)? I do. Where else? KC, Oakland? Nah...it will be the place where he won the World Series MVP and played those great years on the south side.

jabrch
07-11-2009, 11:37 PM
You lost me at "Sock".

SephClone89
07-11-2009, 11:39 PM
"White Sock" is my dad's biggest pet peeve.

TDog
07-11-2009, 11:46 PM
I agree with most of what you say here, but you don't think people will identify JD as a White Sox (Sock)? I do. Where else? KC, Oakland? Nah...it will be the place where he won the World Series MVP and played those great years on the south side.

I've lived all over the country. Since 1996, Jermaine Dye has had as many addresses as I have. He even went to the World Series with the Braves. Certainly, he is thought of as a former A in NoCal. He was born in Oakland. He's played more years with the White Sox than with the A's, but I don't know if he'll play long enough to have played half his career with the White Sox.

I have no doubt that White Sox fans will forget he ever played for anyone else, or at least consider that secondarily, but I also have no doubt many fans elsewhere will remember him as playing for other teams as well. Most would say that after he went to the White Sox, he led them to their first World Series win in 88 years rather than consider him a former White Sox great who led them etc.

Baseball in general will consider the Sox just one of the teams he played for.

tacosalbarojas
07-11-2009, 11:53 PM
I've lived all over the country. Since 1996, Jermaine Dye has had as many addresses as I have. He even went to the World Series with the Braves. Certainly, he is thought of as a former A in NoCal. He was born in Oakland. He's played more years with the White Sox than with the A's, but I don't know if he'll play long enough to have played half his career with the White Sox.

I have no doubt that White Sox fans will forget he ever played for anyone else, or at least consider that secondarily, but I also have no doubt many fans elsewhere will remember him as playing for other teams as well. Most would say that after he went to the White Sox, he led them to their first World Series win in 88 years rather than consider him a former White Sox great who led them etc.

Baseball in general will consider the Sox just one of the teams he played for.I'll give you the A's as a strong arguement, though I don't think his being born in Vacaville plays into who people in general will identify him with. If anything people might id him with both us and the A's...as for the Braves, that's a real reach imo.

JorgeFabregas
07-11-2009, 11:56 PM
Jermaine has really only been the best player on the team twice during his stint here--2006 and 2009.

TDog
07-11-2009, 11:57 PM
I'll give you the A's as a strong arguement, though I don't think his being born in Vacaville plays into who people in general will identify him with. If anything people might id him with both us and the A's...as for the Braves, that's a real reach imo.

As I understand it, he grew up in Vacaville, but he was born in Oakland.

I've never been to Atlanta, so you may be right about Dye not being remembered there. but some people here will always think of Aaron Rowand as former White Sox, no matter how many years he plays for other teams.

johnnyg83
07-12-2009, 12:04 AM
He's probably not even the White Sox of the 21st Century ... I'd give that to Buerhle or Konerko at this point. But he's in the mix ... definitely. I love JD. I hope he retires here and coaches first base for 15 years.

DumpJerry
07-12-2009, 12:44 AM
Ok, I hope this settles the debate once and for all.

I went through my sock drawer. Came across a pair of white ones I bought at Sears in 2006. Despite many wearings and washings with bleach, etc., they are still full bodied and comfortable. I think they are a much better pair of white socks than Jermaine Dye, Nellie Fox, Shoeless Joe, Billy Koch, or Luke Appling.

/close thread

Sam Spade
07-12-2009, 01:07 AM
"White Sock" is my dad's biggest pet peeve.
"White Sox" is mine. It just sounds too weird. I always say "white sox player".

Rohan
07-12-2009, 01:29 AM
"White Sox" is mine. It just sounds too weird. I always say "white sox player".

This does make the most sense.... So why would we say it?? :scratch:

soxnut1018
07-12-2009, 01:52 AM
Nobody can come close to Pablo Ozuna, Timo Perez, and Willie Harris as the greatest Sox of all-time.

daveeym
07-12-2009, 02:19 AM
I'm not young nor am I old, but i don't have the time to read this entire thread. From what i saw on the first page I can say this...JD is the best Sox player of the last 2 decades other than the Big Hurt. Pk is the only one that compares and I might give them as the best "Other than Frank" of the last 30 years. Jd deserves a lot a props and even if it's only been 5 years it's been a great 5 years. :smile:

daveeym
07-12-2009, 02:26 AM

Baseball in general will consider the Sox just one of the teams he played for.
I disagree. I think JD will be considered a sox when it comes down to it...and i actually think that is a shame. To me I remember JD as a Royal. He had game was a natural and had it all, possibly the best 5 tool player at the time before injuries hit him. He's clearly performed better as a Sox but he's a young stud royal to me first and foremost.

Britt Burns
07-12-2009, 02:40 AM
um, no.

hawkjt
07-12-2009, 11:16 AM
I love JD but Frank Thomas is arguably the second greatest right-handed hitter in MLB history behind only Jimmy Foxx...so while JD is very solid, Frank is the man, and always will be the man in the Sox organization.

A. Cavatica
07-12-2009, 11:24 AM
I disagree. I think JD will be considered a sox when it comes down to it...and i actually think that is a shame. To me I remember JD as a Royal. He had game was a natural and had it all, possibly the best 5 tool player at the time before injuries hit him. He's clearly performed better as a Sox but he's a young stud royal to me first and foremost.

Dye...Damon...Beltran...

TommyJohn
07-12-2009, 11:36 AM
JD is my favorite current Sox player, and he's solid...but the best ever? No. Ordonez in his years here was a better rightfielder; however the steroid accusation that he never refuted has tainted his years here for me. I'd pick JD and Baines as rightfielders on my "All-Time" White Sox team based on that.

Best White Sox player ever? I'd go with Frank Thomas, without a doubt. I don't know how anybody could dock him points because of his fielding. How many of the game's greatest hitters are known for their fielding? OK, Willie Mays is one; but when you mention a name like Ted Williams or Stan Musial, their fielding prowess does not immediately jump to mind. Thomas's best years here were from 1991-97 (and even his two "off-years" of 1998-99 weren't too shabby) when he was a 1st baseman.

Number two would be Old Aches and Pains himself, Luke Appling. .310 lifetime average, two batting titles (.388 one year!), 2,749 hits (3,000 if World War II hadn't interfered) and holder of most Sox records until Thomas came to town.

"Shoeless" Joe Jackson? Sorry, but no. True, he was here "only" six years as one poster wrote, but they might have qualified him if not for 1919. Anyone of those guys should be eligible only for a booby prize. Although if you want to pick a great individual season performance, his 1920 season ranks up there.

TDog
07-12-2009, 11:40 AM

Number two would be Old Aches and Pains himself, Luke Appling. .310 lifetime average, two batting titles (.388 one year!), 2,749 hits (3,000 if World War II hadn't interfered) and holder of most Sox records until Thomas came to town. ...

Did you kow that Luke Appling made more errors than any other member of the Baseball Hall of Fame?

Ron Karkovice
07-12-2009, 12:16 PM
Nobody can come close to Pablo Ozuna, Timo Perez, and Willie Harris as the greatest Sox of all-time.

"fake laugh to be polite"

Iron Dragon2
07-12-2009, 12:46 PM
I can't believe the first mention of Shoeless Joe came on page 2 of this thread, and not post 2.

BleacherBandit
07-12-2009, 12:52 PM

No, Alex Cintron fits in with those players.

ode to veeck
07-12-2009, 01:29 PM
Best White Sox player ever? I'd go with Frank Thomas, without a doubt. I don't know how anybody could dock him points because of his fielding. How many of the game's greatest hitters are known for their fielding? OK, Willie Mays is one; but when you mention a name like Ted Williams or Stan Musial, their fielding prowess does not immediately jump to mind.

Shoeless Joe was the greatest defensive 3rd baseman of his day, and could throw a baseball farther than anyone alive at the time (shattered the distance record in a contest one year). Babe Ruth is said to have modeled his swing after him. I could care less about you guys discounting his "only six Sox years" as it certainly wasn't his choice, as well as the facts that Joe spent more years as a Sox than elsewhere and Landis was wrong to lifetime ban a guy for throwing a series when hit close to like .375 against the Reds. His .407 rookie BA will never be touched.

tacosalbarojas
07-12-2009, 01:40 PM
Shoeless Joe was the greatest defensive 3rd baseman of his day, and could throw a baseball farther than anyone alive at the time (shattered the distance record in a contest one year). Babe Ruth is said to have modeled his swing after him. I could care less about you guys discounting his "only six Sox years" as it certainly wasn't his choice, as well as the facts that Joe spent more years as a Sox than elsewhere and Landis was wrong to lifetime ban a guy for throwing a series when hit close to like .375 against the Reds. His .407 rookie BA will never be touched.Jackson played LF.

voodoochile
07-12-2009, 01:44 PM
Jackson played LF.
and yielded a bunch of triples in the WS. Triples to LF? Things that make you go hmmm.....

LITTLE NELL
07-12-2009, 02:42 PM
and yielded a bunch of triples in the WS. Triples to LF? Things that make you go hmmm.....
Not that hard to believe because at that point in time Comiskey Park's dimensions were huge, 362 feet down the lines and 420 to the CF wall, power alleys were probably 390.
Joe and Buck Weaver should not have been banned.

soxfanreggie
07-12-2009, 03:47 PM
Dye the Greatest...:?:

Sorry, no.

MisterB
07-12-2009, 05:01 PM

The play-by-play (http://www.baseball-reference.com/postseason/1919_WS.shtml) as it appears on Baseball-Reference.com doesn't bear this out.

The Reds hit 7 triples in that series, and they broke down like this:

LF-1
Deep LCF-1
Deep CF-2
Deep RCF-1
Deep RF-2

Jackson only played LF in the series.

voodoochile
07-12-2009, 05:04 PM
The play-by-play (http://www.baseball-reference.com/postseason/1919_WS.shtml) as it appears on Baseball-Reference.com doesn't bear this out.

The Reds hit 7 triples in that series, and they broke down like this:

LF-1
Deep LCF-1
Deep CF-2
Deep RCF-1
Deep RF-2

Jackson only played LF in the series.

Okay, 2

TornLabrum
07-12-2009, 10:32 PM

That triples to LF thing is pure BS. It never happened in the 1919 World Series. And I should know. I was there.

PhillipsBubba
07-12-2009, 10:55 PM
...I think you could make a strong case for Jermaine as simply the greatest player, man, whatever, to wear the uniform. Period.

Well thought out and presented ...Dye has been a wonderful White Sox....but greatest ever???:scratch:

No

voodoochile
07-12-2009, 11:07 PM
That triples to LF thing is pure BS. It never happened in the 1919 World Series. And I should know. I was there.

That's what I get for believing stuff I read on the Internet...:redface:

I still don't distinguish between the players who supposedly played to win and those who played to lose. They all knew about it. They all took money regardless of if they "tried to return it" or not. None of them blew the whistle when they had the chance. I have no problem with any of the bans nor do I want to see any of them reinstated and inducted into the HOF and it spoils them all from any discussion of greatest Sox player ever, IMO.

**** 'em and the horse they road in on...