PDA

View Full Version : Pretty Funny Exchange on the Radio Broadcast Tonight

Brian26
07-11-2009, 12:07 AM
Here's an actual exchange from the radio broadcast tonight, word for word as best as I can remember it. DJ makes a good point...

:farmer
"TC the Bear."

:DJ
"Yeah?"

"He's their mascot. I don't get it."

"What don't you get?"

"What does a Bear have to do with the Twins?"

"Well, what does Southpaw have to do with the White Sox?"

LoveYourSuit
07-11-2009, 12:10 AM
DJ has had few good ones on Farmio this year. He's done a good job so far.

Just sometimes he is way too giggly and sounds druggy/drunky.

WhiteSox1989
07-11-2009, 12:11 AM
Ohhh DJ.

I get the feeling that DJ and Farmer dislike each other.

DumpJerry
07-11-2009, 12:11 AM
Yeah, I have no idea whatsoever what TC the Bear has to do with the Twin Cities.....

Come on Farmio..........:rolleyes:

dakotasox
07-11-2009, 12:12 AM
Yeah, I have no idea whatsoever what TC the Bear has to do with the Twin Cities.....

He never said he didn't understand the "TC"

DumpJerry
07-11-2009, 12:16 AM
I guess Farmio is not very familiar with Minnesota. They have bears up there.

It's kinda like the Minnesota Vikings. What does Minnesota have to do with a group of people who lived, according to some, no closer to Minny than Newfoundland, or according to others, Greenland?

Minnesota was heavily settled by Scandinavians which is where the Vikings came from.

drewcifer
07-11-2009, 12:17 AM

I don't get it either... It's not Teddy Ruxpin or whatever that kiddy bear character was called.

So what does a bear named TC have to do with the Twin Cities?

drewcifer
07-11-2009, 12:18 AM
Well, color me ignorant of scandinavian Minnesota bear-lore too. :rolleyes:

Brian26
07-11-2009, 12:18 AM

What was worse was Farmio's explanation of Southpaw. It made no sense; he was implying the White Sox are the only team with lefthanders.

Then DJ reminded him that Minnesota has bears.

esbrechtel
07-11-2009, 12:23 AM
I figured "southpaw" was a play on lefthanded pitchers and being from the southside....

Either way I miss Waldo the White Sox Wolf...WAY under used

chisoxfanatic
07-11-2009, 12:37 AM
I get the feeling that DJ and Farmer dislike each other.
Farmer comes off as the type of guy who dislikes almost everyone. I feel bad for DJ having to deal with him each broadcast.

I really miss DJ in the booth with Hawk. That was pure comedy almost every single night.

drewcifer
07-11-2009, 12:48 AM
Maybe it's "T"he "C"hicago Bear?

dwalteroo
07-11-2009, 01:06 AM
Maybe I'm in the minority here, but I think DJ and Farmio actually get along really well. They both deadpan each other's attempts at jokes, which makes for good listening. DJ wouldn't be this so loose if he didn't feel he could get away with some of the bizarre (and admittedly interesting) things he's said this year.

I honestly think they are a good pair. DJ is no Rooney, but he's way better than Singleton. It's a different broadcast, but it has it's own character and I hope it stays.

ChiSoxGirl
07-11-2009, 01:12 AM
Maybe I'm in the minority here, but I think DJ and Farmio actually get along really well. They both deadpan each other's attempts at jokes, which makes for good listening. DJ wouldn't be this so loose if he didn't feel he could get away with some of the bizarre (and admittedly interesting) things he's said this year.

I honestly think they are a good pair. DJ is no Rooney, but he's way better than Singleton. It's a different broadcast, but it has it's own character and I hope it stays.

I'm actually in agreement with you. As someone who listens to roughly 100 games on the radio, I think they're a pretty good broadcast duo. As you said, DJ is no Rooney, but seems to do well with Farmer in the booth. I think they're entertaining.

SephClone89
07-11-2009, 01:40 AM
I think the two of them are almost unlistenable, honestly. :scratch:

Rohan
07-11-2009, 01:44 AM
There seems to be friction between them quite often... It can get pretty awkward...

TornLabrum
07-11-2009, 07:56 AM
I'm actually in agreement with you. As someone who listens to roughly 100 games on the radio, I think they're a pretty good broadcast duo. As you said, DJ is no Rooney, but seems to do well with Farmer in the booth. I think they're entertaining.

The problem isn't that DJ is no Rooney. The problem is that Farmio is no Rooney.

dickallen15
07-11-2009, 08:01 AM
I wonder what Ribbie and Rhubarb are up to.

bigdommer
07-11-2009, 08:08 AM
What was worse was Farmio's explanation of Southpaw. It made no sense; he was implying the White Sox are the only team with lefthanders.

I still think a giant sponge cake with creme filling would make more sense for their mascot.

soxgirl617
07-11-2009, 11:07 AM

I agree, as well. I think the two make a decent and entertaining pair. I heard one broadcast where they "explained" that they have been personal friends for years, so that the ribbing between the two on the air is ribbing that friends do with each other. I have no idea if that's actually true, but it sounded right.

Let's not compare DJ to Rooney. As a previous poster noted, the proper comparison is Farmer to Rooney, as play by play announcers. I think we all know who prevails in that comparison.

I've been enjoying listening to Farmer and DJ. They don't talk as much golf as Farmer used to, thank goodness.

RowanDye
07-11-2009, 01:03 PM
I agree, as well. I think the two make a decent and entertaining pair. I heard one broadcast where they "explained" that they have been personal friends for years, so that the ribbing between the two on the air is ribbing that friends do with each other. I have no idea if that's actually true, but it sounded right.

Let's not compare DJ to Rooney. As a previous poster noted, the proper comparison is Farmer to Rooney, as play by play announcers. I think we all know who prevails in that comparison.

I've been enjoying listening to Farmer and DJ. They don't talk as much golf as Farmer used to, thank goodness.

I've listened to most of the broadcasts this year and I enjoy it for the most part.

DJ and Farmer have a similar quirky humor, such that it sometimes seems like there is no straightman to make the jokes work.

I actually think they get along pretty well though. Farmio sounding annoyed at some of DJ's crazy comments is just part of their shtick.

Anyone else notice this year how much DJ LOVES Brian Anderson?

PatK
07-11-2009, 01:11 PM
I think they're pretty good.

Having XM, you really don't realize how bad most radio announcing teams are, or how bad some of the "legendary" announcers are as well.

Sure, they are no Rooney and Farmio, who were absolutely phenominal together.

But they're a hell of a lot better than Farmio and Singleton

WhiteSox1989
07-11-2009, 01:16 PM
I quite enjoy listening to them because it's often rather humorous-with their bickering and all.

goon
07-11-2009, 02:53 PM
I think they work well together, too.

LITTLE NELL
07-11-2009, 03:45 PM
How the heck did we let John Rooney leave, he was the best.

Martinigirl
07-11-2009, 03:51 PM

I don't love Farmer by any stretch but I can say that I think DJ has made him far more palatable. I thought Farmer was really condescending and mean to Chris Singleton, making the games really uncomfortable to listen to.

I think he seems like a more pleasant human being with DJ which makes the games better to listen to. And I think DJ feels more at ease with Farmer than he did, particularly in the end, with Hawk.

ChiSoxGirl
07-11-2009, 04:35 PM
The problem isn't that DJ is no Rooney. The problem is that Farmio is no Rooney.

You're right. This is the correct comparison. My bad. :redface:

TornLabrum
07-11-2009, 04:42 PM
You're right. This is the correct comparison. My bad. :redface:

I think Farmio and Stone were very good together. DJ isn't as good an analyst as Stone, but then again, nobody is. Both teams are about 1000 cuts above Farmio and Singleton.

I think the problem with Singleton was that he's not that great doing color. On the other hand, he emceed a couple of WCSF luncheons and did an excellent job. He's really good talking baseball with other players.

SephClone89
07-11-2009, 04:51 PM

They were interviewing him on the radio a little bit this morning (asking questions about similarities between Frank and Pujols and things like that), and hearing his voice made me weak at the knees. (Mod Edit. Okay, maybe a little)

Mod Edit: Let's not use that word

Zakath
07-12-2009, 09:17 AM
I think Farmio and Stone were very good together. DJ isn't as good an analyst as Stone, but then again, nobody is.

That's the truth.

It was interesting last year with two former pitchers on the radio side and two former position players on TV. Now, with one each, you get the different prospectives from both sides of the bat.

Stoney's great ability, IMHO, is translating the mental side of the game for us peons, especially the mentality of the pitcher in setting up the entire at-bat.

slavko
07-12-2009, 09:44 AM
Anyone else notice this year how much DJ LOVES Brian Anderson?

Both the TV guys do it too.

Nice perceptive thread here, the part about pitcher/batter combos right on. DJ is definitely more at ease, the humor is actually funny at times. Yes, they do get along, doubters aside. Farmer is still as terse as ever.

Stone is occasionally wrong about the next pitch, but not much.

kitekrazy
07-12-2009, 03:33 PM

I think Hawk makes everyone around him worse. Stone can adapt since he had to deal with Harry.

DJ is very good on the radio.

chisoxfanatic
07-12-2009, 03:58 PM
I think Hawk makes everyone around him worse. Stone can adapt since he had to deal with Harry.

DJ is very good on the radio.
Are you serious? Hawk is the best broadcaster ever in baseball! He's an unapologetic homer. I LOVE him for that.

GoGoCrede
07-12-2009, 04:09 PM
Are you serious? Hawk is the best broadcaster ever in baseball! He's an unapologetic homer. I LOVE him for that.

Vin Scully is better, IMO. But your mileage may vary.

I like Farmer and DJ on the radio.

jabrch
07-12-2009, 04:12 PM

We didn't "let" him do anything. He went home. Chaining him to the mic wouldn't have been legal. :D:

soxfanreggie
07-12-2009, 05:29 PM
As someone who has listened to many, many, many Sox games on the radio, I long for getting Rooney back. I'm not a Farmer fan, but if we actually got a worst P-B-P broadcaster, that would be horrible.

TDog
07-12-2009, 08:39 PM
I guess Farmio is not very familiar with Minnesota. They have bears up there.

It's kinda like the Minnesota Vikings. What does Minnesota have to do with a group of people who lived, according to some, no closer to Minny than Newfoundland, or according to others, Greenland?

Minnesota was heavily settled by Scandinavians which is where the Vikings came from.

Minnesota is the land of sky blue waters, although they still play their baseball in a dim plastic room. Hamm's had the Hamm's bear, who was pictured hugging White Sox players even after the Washington Senators moved to to the Twin Cities. I have never understood why a place where the outdoors is so beautiful in the summertime has insisted on playing baseball in a place so unnatural, but I can understand why they would have a bear mascot.

As for the Vikings, the Kensington Runestone (http://www.runestonemuseum.org/runestone.cfm) proved that Vikings made it to what is now Minnesota late in their glorious age. Of course, the Kensington Runestone was a hoax, but I'm sure it's still proudly displayed in a special museum in Alexandria, Minnesota, where I saw it as a kid. The farmer who "discovered" it was Norwegian and like many in Minnesota was proud of his Viking heritage. Calling their football team the Vikings is as natural as Los Angeles calling its basketball team the Lakers. Or something like that.

WhiteSoxFTW
07-13-2009, 10:54 AM
I enjoy Farmer's humor, and I really enjoyed the radio broadcasts last year when Stone was there. I really enjoy Stone's insight and hope the Sox keep him around.

hi im skot
07-13-2009, 11:08 AM

Vin Scully is better, IMO. But your mileage may vary.

I like Farmer and DJ on the radio.

I love Hawk, but you learn a hell of a lot more about baseball from Vin Scully.

Then again, Vin Scully could make the phone book sound interesting.

white sox bill
07-13-2009, 11:11 AM

So where does the Chicago Bears nickname come from? Or the Cubs for that matter? Not too many Bears in these parts. Or let me guess---global warming leads to unnatural migration of wild animals.

GoGoCrede
07-13-2009, 11:23 AM
I love Hawk, but you learn a hell of a lot more about baseball from Vin Scully.

Hell, Vin Scully told me stuff about the Sox I'd never heard! (How JD got his scar, for one.) The man is a gem.

eriqjaffe
07-13-2009, 11:37 AM
So where does the Chicago Bears nickname come from?Um...actually...they took the name because of the Cubs.

The name "Cubs" was, IIRC, put on them by a newspaper due to a youth movement. The nickname stuck and wound up becoming official.

TornLabrum
07-13-2009, 02:12 PM
Um...actually...they took the name because of the Cubs.

The name "Cubs" was, IIRC, put on them by a newspaper due to a youth movement. The nickname stuck and wound up becoming official.

Correct, when Frank Selee became manager of the Chicago National League Ball Club in 1902, they had been unofficially known in the newspapers as the Orphans (or sometimes Remnants) in honor of the departure of longtime manager "Cap" Anson. He began a youth movement and by 1903 the young team was known as the Cubs. Selee became ill (iirc with TB) in 1905 and Frank Chance took over as player-manager.

It was the team that Selee put together that was the last world championship team ever by a Chicago team.

DonnieDarko
07-13-2009, 02:20 PM
Hell, Vin Scully told me stuff about the Sox I'd never heard! (How JD got his scar, for one.) The man is a gem.

You know, that's something I've always wondered. How DID Dye get his scar?

chisoxfanatic
07-13-2009, 02:25 PM
You know, that's something I've always wondered. How DID Dye get his scar?
He was injured falling out of a tree stand while hunting one offseason. He landed into a thorn bush.

DonnieDarko
07-13-2009, 02:28 PM
He was injured falling out of a tree stand while hunting one offseason. He landed into a thorn bush.

...wow. Here I was expecting something like, "Dude got into a knife fight and totally kicked this other guy's ass!", but he gets it from falling out of a tree? :D:

Pretty funny, actually.

GoGoCrede
07-13-2009, 02:29 PM
...wow. Here I was expecting something like, "Dude got into a knife fight and totally kicked this other guy's ass!", but he gets it from falling out of a tree? :D:

Pretty funny, actually.

Vin Scully told the story very dryly. But like hi_im_skot said, he makes the phone book sound interesting. :)

spawn
07-13-2009, 02:30 PM

Pretty funny, actually.
Yep. Someone falling out of a tree into a thorn bush is HILARIOUS.

TDog
07-13-2009, 02:46 PM

Vin Scully has the perfect voice and rhythm for baseball and never talks about himself. He isn't a homer. He lets you know what is going on in the game and squeezes in the game behind the game.

He is the best baseball announcer I've heard in my lifetime.

I loved Harry Caray when I was in high school, but when I grew up and move out west and started listening to Vin Scully on a regular basis, I realized I could have enjoyed baseball more if the White Sox had announcers with higher professional standards.

Jon Miller is better than any announcer I ever ever called Cubs or White Sox games, but he isn't as good as Vin Scully. And I'm sure he wouldn't be insulted to hear me say that.

If you want to get into the philosophy about why some people prefer some announcers over others, you could get into the Plato's cave stuff. But I'm just glad I wasn't in a cave listening to Ken Harrelson when I was younger.

spawn
07-13-2009, 02:52 PM
Vin Scully has the perfect voice and rhythm for baseball and never talks about himself. He isn't a homer. He lets you know what is going on in the game and squeezes in the game behind the game.

He is the best baseball announcer I've heard in my lifetime.

I loved Harry Caray when I was in high school, but when I grew up and move out west and started listening to Vin Scully on a regular basis, I realized I could have enjoyed baseball more if the White Sox had announcers with higher professional standards.

Jon Miller is better than any announcer I ever ever called Cubs or White Sox games, but he isn't as good as Vin Scully. And I'm sure he wouldn't be insulted to hear me say that.

If you want to get into the philosophy about why some people prefer some announcers over others, you could get into the Plato's cave stuff. But I'm just glad I wasn't in a cave listening to Ken Harrelson when I was younger.
Agreed. Vin Scully is one of the few announcers that, even as he got older, you still loved listening to, becasue he never makes the broadcasts about him, and doesn't have the played out antics.

chisoxfanatic
07-13-2009, 02:56 PM

That's the thing I love most about Hawk. He's the guy you'd love to sit down and have a drink with. He's a TEAM broadcaster, so he can be biased.

Scully would be good for a national broadcast. Although, since I'm not a Dodger's fan, I don't care.

I love me some Hawk Harrelson!!!

TDog
07-13-2009, 03:19 PM
That's the thing I love most about Hawk. He's the guy you'd love to sit down and have a drink with. He's a TEAM broadcaster, so he can be biased.

Scully would be good for a national broadcast. Although, since I'm not a Dodger's fan, I don't care.

I love me some Hawk Harrelson!!!

Vin Scully has always been beloved by Brooklyn and Los Angeles Dodgers fans and considered part of the Dodgers family. Groucho Marx, in a 1974 interview, was asked who he would will his money to. He answered that he might leave it to Vin Scully because of all the joy the announcer had brought him over the years.

Knowing what I know about Vin Skully and Ken Harrelson, I would much rather sit down and talk with Vin Skully, and I'm a White Sox fan.

DonnieDarko
07-13-2009, 03:22 PM
Yep. Someone falling out of a tree into a thorn bush is HILARIOUS.

Well, yeah. I think it is. I've done it before and I was laughing the whole time.

...well, save when I found out that I was bleeding pretty bad from my hand. At that point my reaction was closer to "Whoa. Cool."

kaufsox
07-14-2009, 01:51 PM
Agreed. Vin Scully is one of the few announcers that, even as he got older, you still loved listening to, becasue he never makes the broadcasts about him, and doesn't have the played out antics.

Vin is great, no doubt. I loved him on Game of the Week with Joe Gargiola(sp) Having said that, Ernie Harwell is right up there as one of the all time best.