View Full Version : 7/10 Games

KyWhiSoxFan
07-10-2009, 09:31 PM
Charlotte 7, Gwinnett 6
Quentin, 1-3, RBI, 2BB
Lillibridge, 2-4, 2B, R, RBI
Restovich, 2-4, 2 2B, RBI
Hopper, 2-3, 2R, RBI, 2BB
Box score (http://web.minorleaguebaseball.com/milb/stats/stats.jsp?sid=milb&t=g_box&gid=2009_07_10_gwiaaa_chraaa_1)

Birmingham 3, Mississippi 1
Flowers, 1-2, HR (11), 2RBI (40), 2BB
Retherford, 2-4
Viciedo, 1-4
Gartrell, 1-4
Zaleski, (W, 5-0), 7.2IP, 8H, ER, 5BB, 5K
Fernandez (S, 14), 1.1IP 0H, BB, K
Box score (http://web.minorleaguebaseball.com/milb/stats/stats.jsp?gid=2009_06_27_biraax_msbaax_1&t=g_box&did=milb)

Lynchburg 12, Winston-Salem 6
Kuhn, 2-4, 2B, 2RBI, .407
Shelton, 3-4
Box score (http://web.minorleaguebaseball.com/milb/stats/stats.jsp?gid=2009_07_10_lynafa_wswafa_1&t=g_box&did=milb)

Lakewood 7, Kannapolis 5
Phegley, 0-5
Short, 2-4, 2B
Gilmore, 2-4
Black, 1-4, 2B, RBI
Box score (http://web.minorleaguebaseball.com/milb/stats/stats.jsp?gid=2009_07_10_lwdafx_kanafx_1&t=g_box&did=milb)

Great Falls vs. Ogden
Box score (http://web.minorleaguebaseball.com/milb/stats/stats.jsp?sid=milb&t=g_box&gid=2009_07_10_grfrok_ogdrok_1)

Bristol 8, Burlington 7
Shoemaker, 2-4
Lee, 2-4, RBI
Box score (http://web.minorleaguebaseball.com/milb/stats/stats.jsp?gid=2009_07_10_brlrok_brirok_1&t=g_box&did=milb)

mzh
07-10-2009, 10:39 PM
It makes me sad to not see Brandon Allen in these scores :whiner:

Tragg
07-10-2009, 11:07 PM

Speaking of whom, people have said that he was expendable because we have great organizational depth at 1B. Can anyone put names to this depth? Thanks.

cleanwsox
07-11-2009, 12:37 AM

2-4 with a 3 run HR tonight for the Reno Aces.

JermaineDye05
07-11-2009, 02:43 AM
Speaking of whom, people have said that he was expendable because we have great organizational depth at 1B. Can anyone put names to this depth? Thanks.

Dayan Viciedo, to name one.

He's playing 3rd base now but with Beckham at 3rd and Dayan's suspect defense, 1st base seems to be the position that best fits.

Tragg
07-11-2009, 08:24 AM
Dayan Viciedo, to name one.

He's playing 3rd base now but with Beckham at 3rd and Dayan's suspect defense, 1st base seems to be the position that best fits.
From what I've read, he's got a long way to go. Flowers is speculated for 1B too. But right now, as listed 1B, we have?

KyWhiSoxFan
07-11-2009, 02:04 PM
From what I've read, he's got a long way to go. Flowers is speculated for 1B too. But right now, as listed 1B, we have?

Best I can tell, Daniel Black, 14th round pick this year, who is playing at Kannapolis. Obviously, he is years and years away, if he ever does makes it. He is very raw.

So the short and immediate answer is, no, there are no viable prospects whose preferred and proven position already is 1B. Someone is going to have to move to that position from within the system if it is to be filled internally one day.

JB98
07-11-2009, 02:08 PM
If they're planning on moving Flowers to 1B, why haven't they done that yet? Why are they wasting time trying to develop him as a catcher?

The fact that Tyler is still catching leads me to believe his future is behind the dish.

Konerko05
07-11-2009, 04:05 PM
If they're planning on moving Flowers to 1B, why haven't they done that yet? Why are they wasting time trying to develop him as a catcher?

The fact that Tyler is still catching leads me to believe his future is behind the dish.

Imagine the offensive potential of a lineup with Beckham at SS and Flowers at C. Assuming both players can handle the positions more than adaquately at the ML level.

Mr. White Sox
07-11-2009, 04:08 PM

Due to the incredible lack of catcher depth in the system (I don't think Phegley counts considering he's already playing a fair amount of games at DH, but I could be wrong), they're probably going to keep Flowers at C for as long as possible. If he's not ready to play catcher by the end of 2010, then he'll remain on the team as the 1B/DH. If he is, then he'll back up AJ.

tm1119
07-11-2009, 04:24 PM
Due to the incredible lack of catcher depth in the system (I don't think Phegley counts considering he's already playing a fair amount of games at DH, but I could be wrong), they're probably going to keep Flowers at C for as long as possible. If he's not ready to play catcher by the end of 2010, then he'll remain on the team as the 1B/DH. If he is, then he'll back up AJ.

Basically. Also his value is 10X greater at C. .280 20 hr and 85 RBI is an all-star C, but its pretty average as a 1B/DH.

KyWhiSoxFan
07-11-2009, 04:41 PM

Yeah, I would agree with that take. From what I have seen from the game boxes, Flowers is throwing out a decent number of runners and is doing well as a catcher, though he seems to DH a lot, too. I can't find overall stats for him for the season, but since June 28, Flowers has thrown out 50% of the runners trying to steal (4 of 8).

The question I have is his height. Do you want a 6'4" guy squatting behind the plate for 140 games a year? What is the toll on his body? Have there been a lot of tall catchers who have been successful? Fisk was 6'2".

JermaineDye05
07-11-2009, 05:00 PM
Yeah, I would agree with that take. From what I have seen from the game boxes, Flowers is throwing out a decent number of runners and is doing well as a catcher, though he seems to DH a lot, too. I can't find overall stats for him for the season, but since June 28, Flowers has thrown out 50% of the runners trying to steal (4 of 8).

The question I have is his height. Do you want a 6'4" guy squatting behind the plate for 140 games a year? What is the toll on his body? Have there been a lot of tall catchers who have been successful? Fisk was 6'2".

Brian McCann is 6'3" and Joe Mauer is 6'5"

Those two seem to handle the toll behind the plate fairly well.

tm1119
07-11-2009, 05:11 PM

Joe Mauer is 6'5
Brian McCann is 6'3
Wieters is 6'5
Salty is 6'4
Piazza was 6'3

And that was just off of the top of my head. It may not be great for longevity, but I'd say we are a long way away from Tyler's knees giving out.

DirtySox
07-11-2009, 06:18 PM

Phegley will continue to catch. They were easing him back into the baseball routine as he hadn't played for a bit. It's also fair to assume they are trying to limit the amount on his plate as he still has to learn to hit with wood.

JB98
07-11-2009, 07:35 PM

From what I've gathered (and I could be wrong), he's DHing on days where a catcher would normally be off. As we all know, you can't catch everyday. The demands of the position are great.

My feeling is, if they want to do a position change, they should do it now. Let Flowers learn 1B in Birmingham, not in two years when he's ready for the big-league level.

Tragg
07-11-2009, 09:50 PM
My feeling is, if they want to do a position change, they should do it now. Let Flowers learn 1B in Birmingham, not in two years when he's ready for the big-league level.
I'm sure that's the whole deal - they want to find out if he can catch. He's 150% more valuable as a catcher.

DirtySox
07-11-2009, 09:51 PM
I think it's been stated, but Flowers has played 1st base before. It isn't completely foreign to him. I believe he played it for an extended stretch after his injury. The decision if he should continue to catch or not doesn't need to be made ASAP.

Tomorrow you can watch him catch during the Futures Game.