PDA

View Full Version : question

whitesox30
07-10-2009, 03:59 PM
I will be attending a Game against the Orioles at the cell on july 17th and was wondering if anyone had any idea on where to stay for a hotel that was pretty reasonable and could still explore a little bit of Chicago while being there.. Also if anyone had 2 tickets they wanted to sell let me know...any help is appreciated...

Thanks,

Neil

TomBradley72
07-10-2009, 04:03 PM
I'd suggest using Hotwire....if you're not too picky on the exact hotel you stay in...just looking for a decent hotel, located downtown, etc...my experience is that their rates are the best. I stayed in the Hilton Garden Inn at State/Grand, right by the red line for the Cubs/Sox series (and a Robin Trower show)..the room ran me $69 + their fee.

kravdog
07-10-2009, 04:05 PM
I'd suggest using Hotwire....if you're not too picky on the exact hotel you stay in...just looking for a decent hotel, located downtown, etc...my experience is that their rates are the best. I stayed in the Hilton Garden Inn at State/Grand, right by the red line for the Cubs/Sox series (and a Robin Trower show)..the room ran me $69 + their fee.

I've done pretty well naming my own price on priceline during this recession.

whitesox30
07-10-2009, 04:09 PM
how far is that roughly from the Cell? Thanks for your help!!

voodoochile
07-10-2009, 04:13 PM
how far is that roughly from the Cell? Thanks for your help!!

~5 miles, but it's literally, right beside the Redline train that takes you right to the park. There's an entrance at State and Grand, so travel time is 15-20 minutes for $2/person (roughly - I don't live in Chicago anymore, so don't know how much the train is these days).

There are also a ton of good bars and restaurants right around there and you can walk one block south to Illinois and catch the free trolley to Navy Pier if you want to. You are also within walking distance of everything north of the river.

Edit: You aren't going to find a hotel right beside the park you will have to drive/take public trans there no matter what.

whitesox30
07-10-2009, 04:15 PM
Oh nice! not bad at all...i figured i would have to take the L to the game...ive been there once before and traffic was ridiculous...definately looking for some good bars and restaurants thats within walking distance or whatever. Pretty descent area as well?

kittle42
07-10-2009, 04:22 PM
Oh nice! not bad at all...i figured i would have to take the L to the game...ive been there once before and traffic was ridiculous...definately looking for some good bars and restaurants thats within walking distance or whatever. Pretty descent area as well?

Yes, the area descends south.

voodoochile
07-10-2009, 04:27 PM

It's downtown Chicago. It's fine.

whitesox30
07-10-2009, 04:29 PM
Thank you I appreciate it

all*star quentin
07-10-2009, 07:25 PM

CTA trains cost $2.50 one way/25cents for 2 transfers which expire within 2 hrs.
I suggest you stop @ CVS or Jewel/Osco, they sell CTA visitor passes. Unlimited use for the Bus and L for 24hrs. :bandance:

1 day $5.75
3 day $14.00