PDA

View Full Version : With the 18th pick in the MLB Draft, the White Sox take....

CerberusWG
06-04-2002, 12:10 PM
Sox select Rodger Ring LHP San Diego University

Milwaukee takes Fielder, wow.

CerberusWG
06-04-2002, 12:12 PM
Looking for a scouting report, gimme a second.

CerberusWG
06-04-2002, 12:14 PM
From MLB:

COMMENT: Solid, muscular frame, similar to Mike Stanton. Powerful, quick arm. Sneaky quick, live fastball. Heavy fastball that occasionally explodes last 10 feet. Deceptive circle change. Pit bull competitor. Very confident, wants ball now. Goes by middle name "Royce."

Great, another Royce, we're ****ed.

http://mlb.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/mlb/draftday/draft_2002/mlb_draft_search.jsp?last_name_alpha=R&range_low=31&range_high=60&order_by=

voodoochile
06-04-2002, 12:14 PM
well, his name has a nice "ring" to it...

Hopefully he can bring us a couple of rings...

Sorry, I couldn't resist...

kevingrt
06-04-2002, 12:15 PM
Quick Scouting Report:

Solid, muscular frame, similar to Mike Stanton. Powerful, quick arm. Sneaky quick, live fastball. Heavy fastball that occasionally explodes last 10 feet. Deceptive circle change. Pit bull competitor. Very confident, wants ball now. Goes by middle name "Royce."

Middle Name, Royce AWWWWWW...

See a Video @ Roger Ring Video (http://mlb.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/mlb/draftday/draft_2002/mlb_draft_search.jsp?position=lhp&range_low=151&range_high=180&order_by=)

voodoochile
06-04-2002, 12:15 PM
Originally posted by CerberusWG
From MLB:

COMMENT: Solid, muscular frame, similar to Mike Stanton. Powerful, quick arm. Sneaky quick, live fastball. Heavy fastball that occasionally explodes last 10 feet. Deceptive circle change. Pit bull competitor. Very confident, wants ball now. Goes by middle name "Royce."

http://mlb.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/mlb/draftday/draft_2002/mlb_draft_search.jsp?last_name_alpha=R&range_low=31&range_high=60&order_by=

Maybe this one truly is "The Choice"...

CerberusWG
06-04-2002, 12:16 PM
His fastball is around 87, curve at 75.

voodoochile
06-04-2002, 12:18 PM
anybody got a pic?

Randar68
Royce Ring, lhp
Ring is the nation's best closer. He has three pitches he can throw effortlessly for strikes: an 88-91 mph fastball that tops at 94, a knee-buckling curveball and a changeup that has improved significantly this year. He resembles Randy Myers with his arm action, body type (6-foot-1, 215 pounds) and mound demeanor. He is a bulldog and wants the ball with games on the line. He led the Mountain West Conference with nine saves in 2001 in his introduction to the closer role, and his 15 saves this season ranked second in the country. A 41st-round pick in 1999 out of a San Diego high school, Ring should be picked late in the first round this year.

To me, a bit of a disappointment. In a weak draft, this is an even weaker pick, but we'll see.

kevingrt
3 Pitches, Nation's Best Closer... Sounds Good, Foulke would be good trade bait next year

CerberusWG
06-04-2002, 12:22 PM
Originally posted by kevingrt
3 Pitches, Nation's Best Closer... Sounds Good, Foulke would be good trade bait next year

You're insane.

kevingrt
06-04-2002, 12:23 PM
Okay instead, he would be good trade bait next year with teh lack of quality closers in the league!

voodoochile
06-04-2002, 12:25 PM
Originally posted by Randar68
Royce Ring, lhp
Ring is the nation's best closer. He has three pitches he can throw effortlessly for strikes: an 88-91 mph fastball that tops at 94, a knee-buckling curveball and a changeup that has improved significantly this year. He resembles Randy Myers with his arm action, body type (6-foot-1, 215 pounds) and mound demeanor. He is a bulldog and wants the ball with games on the line. He led the Mountain West Conference with nine saves in 2001 in his introduction to the closer role, and his 15 saves this season ranked second in the country. A 41st-round pick in 1999 out of a San Diego high school, Ring should be picked late in the first round this year.

To me, a bit of a disappointment. In a weak draft, this is an even weaker pick, but we'll see.

Keith is so gone...

CerberusWG
06-04-2002, 12:30 PM
Originally posted by voodoochile

Keith is so gone...

You're also insane.

Stop assuming this guy will take over for Foulke. The Closer of the Future tag means absolutely NOTHING.

voodoochile
06-04-2002, 12:46 PM
Originally posted by CerberusWG

You're also insane.

Stop assuming this guy will take over for Foulke. The Closer of the Future tag means absolutely NOTHING.

I am merely stating what I think WILL happen, not what I think SHOULD happen...

JR loves a bargain and this kid having played college ball will be "ready" much sooner than a HS kid. Sox love to rush pitchers, look for this kid to be up sooner rather than later...

kevingrt
06-04-2002, 12:51 PM

Thank You Voodoo Child exactly what I was trying to say

raul12
06-04-2002, 12:53 PM

JR loves a bargain and this kid having played college ball will be "ready" much sooner than a HS kid. Sox love to rush pitchers, look for this kid to be up sooner rather than later...

aren't MLB closers college level starting pitchers? i could be wrong, but i thought that was the case. although with a demeanor like that....give the kid the ball. seems like he won't be a case of kip "i have no balls" wells.

but i would agree, at #18, you'd think there would be something better out there, although this draft is pretty weak.

Vsahajpal
06-04-2002, 12:57 PM
This was a fantastic pick, IMO. I'll tell you later why!

voodoochile
06-04-2002, 12:57 PM
Originally posted by raul12

aren't MLB closers college level starting pitchers? i could be wrong, but i thought that was the case. although with a demeanor like that....give the kid the ball. seems like he won't be a case of kip "i have no balls" wells.

but i would agree, at #18, you'd think there would be something better out there, although this draft is pretty weak.

Sox are looking to the future and the fact that Foulke makes $6 million next year which means he will be in line for even more if he has a couple of successful years...

doublem23
06-04-2002, 01:02 PM
More on Rolls Royce.... (http://mlb.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/mlb/draftday/draft_2002/mlb_draft_profile.jsp?ymd=20020528&content_id=34664&vkey=draft2002&fext=.jsp)

voodoochile
06-04-2002, 01:08 PM
Okay, here it is, Royce has been benched, so me thinks we need a new banner...

raul12
06-04-2002, 01:11 PM

Sox are looking to the future and the fact that Foulke makes $6 million next year which means he will be in line for even more if he has a couple of successful years...

i agree, but that doesn't really answer my question. foulke was a college-level starting pitcher who converted to a closer. when was the last college-level closer to make to the big leagues as a closer?

voodoochile
06-04-2002, 01:12 PM

i agree, but that doesn't really answer my question. foulke was a college-level starting pitcher who converted to a closer. when was the last college-level closer to make to the big leagues as a closer?

I don't know, that is why I didn't answer...

jklm
06-04-2002, 01:12 PM

Was Josh Fogg a closer at U of Florida?

dougs78
06-04-2002, 01:13 PM
Was Josh Fogg a closer in Florida?

yes, he was.

Iwritecode
06-04-2002, 01:14 PM
Rodger Royce Ring? His initials are RRR? Odd. Maybe that's where they get his "bulldog" mentality. He's just saying his initails. rrr... rrr...

I know a guy who's initials are MMM. He's says it's because that's what he makes the ladies say when he's with them...

doublem23
06-04-2002, 01:16 PM

LOL... I like, I like.

raul12
06-04-2002, 01:28 PM
Originally posted by Iwritecode
Rodger Royce Ring? His initials are RRR? Odd. Maybe that's where they get his "bulldog" mentality. He's just saying his initails. rrr... rrr...

I know a guy who's initials are MMM. He's says it's because that's what he makes the ladies say when he's with them...

i knew a kid in high school with initials KKK....what was worse was that it was intentional.

raul12
06-04-2002, 01:29 PM
Originally posted by jklm

Was Josh Fogg a closer at U of Florida?

and we all know what a crappy pitcher he turned out to be!

Spiff
06-04-2002, 01:49 PM

Looks good except for the 1980's MSPaint graphics.

voodoochile
06-04-2002, 02:11 PM
Originally posted by Spiff

Looks good except for the 1980's MSPaint graphics.

Not me, I used Camedia 2.0. Of course I know nothing about the original banner that I ripped off...

Either way, I thought it was time to Ring out the old Royce and Ring in the new Royce...

:D:

34 Inch Stick
06-04-2002, 02:14 PM
It's a little early to assume any baseball pick will be a major leaguer. Let's just hope he progresses well and is in AA by next year.

Spiff
06-04-2002, 02:14 PM

Not me, I used Camedia 2.0. Of course I know nothing about the original banner that I ripped off...

Yeah it's kinda a running joke with Doub and his *awesome* graphics. :cool:

ode to veeck
06-04-2002, 02:30 PM

On the other hand, i'd trade one Royce for ANY other

Jerry_Manuel
06-04-2002, 02:30 PM

Either way, I thought it was time to Ring out the old Royce and Ring in the new Royce...

Oh yeah, the old banner, don't get me started on that! Darn shame that the "old" Royce, is still here.

Originally posted by Spiff
Yeah it's kinda a running joke with Doub and his *awesome* graphics. :cool:

No doubt, MS PaintShop circa 1982. :smile:

ode to veeck
06-04-2002, 02:33 PM
It's a little early to assume any baseball pick will be a major leaguer. Let's just hope he progresses well and is in AA by next year.

especially a pitcher