PDA

View Full Version : New "unbreakable" bat design

WhiteSoxFTW
07-10-2009, 01:29 PM
I think the MLB should definitely look into this. There are too many chances for someone to get hurt with the current conditions.

http://www.freep.com/article/20090709/SPORTS02/907090369/1048

Marqhead
07-10-2009, 01:32 PM
If he can prove it performs the same as the current MLB bats, they should definitely make the change. Good to see the NCAA has approved the bat.

PhillipsBubba
07-10-2009, 02:26 PM
Hopefully the design will be approved before someone on the field or in the stands gets killed...

dickallen15
07-10-2009, 02:36 PM
Thome uses one of these bats during BP, and likes it a lot.

dakotasox
07-10-2009, 02:48 PM
This came out a year or two ago. It's not 1 piece of wood though. The rules call for one solid piece of wood and this is 10 or 12 pieces put together. It won't fly.

WhiteSoxFTW
07-10-2009, 02:54 PM
This came out a year or two ago. It's not 1 piece of wood though. The rules call for one solid piece of wood and this is 10 or 12 pieces put together. It won't fly.

That's exactly what the article says. It also says that the creator is going to continue to market his bat and try and change the league rules.

I think it's going to take a player or a fan getting seriously injured from a shattered bat to get the league to do anything at all, though.

dakotasox
07-10-2009, 03:47 PM
That's what always happens. Like in NASCAR with the walls they created a few years back or the NHL with a net after a teenage girl got hit in the head by a puck and died.

Madscout
07-10-2009, 06:43 PM
As long as it doesn't hinder pitcher's ability to throw inside. I was watching the college world series and the game is so very different, not only because of the players, but because of the bats they use. You can't pitch inside in college, because you will get lit up, every time. I don't want baseball to become the NL, where all pitchers live on the outerhalf. You will see scoring go up exponentially if that happens.

waldo_the_wolf
07-11-2009, 05:39 AM
:nandrolone

Unbreakable bat?! I wish I could have used one of those!!!!

Huisj
07-11-2009, 03:09 PM
As long as it doesn't hinder pitcher's ability to throw inside. I was watching the college world series and the game is so very different, not only because of the players, but because of the bats they use. You can't pitch inside in college, because you will get lit up, every time. I don't want baseball to become the NL, where all pitchers live on the outerhalf. You will see scoring go up exponentially if that happens.

This is true. Bats breaking is in some ways a very big part of the game--if a pitcher has the ability to throw a pitch that could break someone's bat, that is a huge advantage. If that same pitch suddenly was not able to break the bat, the game changes a ton.

Now obviously, the shattering bats that completely fly apart and go all over the place is not good, and that's the whole point of this article. But it almost sounds like these bats might be too durable and could take away the inside part of the plate if they just tend to chip apart a little bit instead of actually crack or split.

Law11
07-14-2009, 04:41 PM
Think Birch... The reason these maple bats bust open is that they are baked so dry for the speed of the bat that there is no flexibility in the wood. Hence the price of these bats is so expensive.
Only a small batch actually makes it out of a mill that meets the specs causing the price to be much more than other types of bats. The players see the price and think its the best out there but in reality a Birch bat has more moisture and more flexibility upon impact and has shown to be a slightly fractions of a second slower depending on the players ability.

"Its science.." - Ron Burgandy

TDog
07-14-2009, 04:54 PM
This is true. Bats breaking is in some ways a very big part of the game--if a pitcher has the ability to throw a pitch that could break someone's bat, that is a huge advantage. If that same pitch suddenly was not able to break the bat, the game changes a ton.

Now obviously, the shattering bats that completely fly apart and go all over the place is not good, and that's the whole point of this article. But it almost sounds like these bats might be too durable and could take away the inside part of the plate if they just tend to chip apart a little bit instead of actually crack or split.

Not only that, but it's possible that unbreakable bats could be make batted balls more dangerous. I think metal bats woud create a more dangerous situation than shattering bats.