PDA

View Full Version : Dye cleared the roof on Tuesday?

LoveYourSuit
07-08-2009, 10:00 PM
I was at the game and missed it. Heard Farmio mention it.

The highest I have seen one hit into the upper deck was about 7-8 rows up.

Clearing the UD roof is a shot.

Anyone can describe?

dakotasox
07-08-2009, 10:04 PM
I was at the stadium last year when Swisher (I think it was him) hit one out. Pretty incredible, can't believe it happened again.

LoveYourSuit
07-08-2009, 10:06 PM
I was at the stadium last year when Swisher (I think it was him) hit one out. Pretty incredible, can't believe it happened again.

Swisher?

Holly Crap. I did not hear of that.

Even with the lower roof, the Cell is still a very tall structure. Balls barely get to the first few rows of the UD on most nights.

I can't believe I missed it.

Brian26
07-08-2009, 10:06 PM
I was at the game and missed it. Heard Farmio mention it.

The highest I have seen one hit into the upper deck was about 7-8 rows up.

Clearing the UD roof is a shot.

Anyone can describe?

Hawk mentioned it on tv last night when it happened. Dye was guessing fastball and was way out in front of it. It cleared the roof behind the third base dugout.

dickallen15
07-08-2009, 10:13 PM
It bounced off the roof. I've seen it a couple of times. Rowand has done it, someone did it last year. It was right above 3rd base last night.

LoveYourSuit
07-08-2009, 10:17 PM
It bounced off the roof. I've seen it a couple of times. Rowand has done it, someone did it last year. It was right above 3rd base last night.

Farmio said it was the first time it has happened at the Cell.

Unless he's been sleeping on the job or his feet getting too cold because of not wearing Socks ... I think I would take his word on that.

Dibbs
07-08-2009, 10:47 PM
It was the first time I have ever seen it happen live at the new park. I am not sure how he hit it at the weird angle too.

october23sp
07-08-2009, 11:11 PM
Dye pulled it out and hit it hard as if it were a home run ball, just foul.

EuroSox35
07-08-2009, 11:23 PM
I was listening on the radio when it happened, both Farmer and DJ said they had never seen it before

Sockinchisox
07-09-2009, 12:24 AM
Ya, it was about 5 sections down from me, went right over it.

I definitely saw Gary Sheffield hit a roof shot foul ball a couple of years ago at the Cell as well.

Nellie_Fox
07-09-2009, 12:52 AM
The difference is Dye's was pulled. They said they'd seen it done going the opposite way, but never pulled, at this ballpark.

LoveYourSuit
07-09-2009, 12:57 AM
The difference is Dye's was pulled. They said they'd seen it done going the opposite way, but never pulled, at this ballpark.

How far out in front would you have to be to jack a ball that high and behind your dugout?

I do think it would be eaiser to pull one foul over the roof than hit it the other way.

Nellie_Fox
07-09-2009, 01:14 AM
How far out in front would you have to be to jack a ball that high and behind your dugout?

I do think it would be eaiser to pull one foul over the roof than hit it the other way.I don't think so. If you hit one high and hard the other way, the side-spin will assist it in slicing further foul. To pull one up there is all on you.

WhiteSox5187
07-09-2009, 02:27 AM
On Tuesday there were about four foul balls hit into the upper deck behind the third base side. I never saw that many hit up there before either.

dickallen15
07-09-2009, 07:24 AM
Farmio said it was the first time it has happened at the Cell.

Unless he's been sleeping on the job or his feet getting too cold because of not wearing Socks ... I think I would take his word on that.

I guarantee you its happened at least 3 times. Someone did it last year, Swisher was mentioned here, I don't remember the player but I remember it leaving, and Rowand did it in 2005. I was astonished. They all were the same kind of result. Way out in front.

Viva Medias B's
07-09-2009, 07:33 AM
It used to happen much more often in the Old Comiskey, but the height of USCF's roof is higher than the light towers of Old Comiskey were.

Walker29
07-09-2009, 08:58 AM
Hawk said it was the first time he'd seen a right hander clear the roof at the Cell. He saw Sheffield do it at old Yankee Stadium, if Swish did he could have been batting from the left side.

BigP50
07-09-2009, 11:22 AM
I was at a game a few years back when a ball left the stadium, it was very impressive.

BubblingCalderon
07-09-2009, 11:38 AM
I've seen it a few times. I think each time I saw it, the ball was hit out right above the press box so Farmio and DJ probably wouldn't be able to see it. Perhaps this time it was hit far enough down the line to where they were able to see the ball clear the stadium.

I'm pretty sure I saw it happen with the old roof configuration. But I don't remember who did it.

Paulwny
07-09-2009, 12:10 PM
Hawk said it was the first time he'd seen a right hander clear the roof at the Cell. He saw Sheffield do it at old Yankee Stadium, if Swish did he could have been batting from the left side.

I also heard Hawk mention Sheffield hitting a ball out of old Yankee Stadium. If this were true pictures would have appeared all over sport pages in newspapers all over the country, I don't remember seeing any.
NO ONE has ever hit a fair ball out of old Yankee Stadium during an MLB game.
Mantle came close by hitting the decorative facade hanging from the rf roof.

downstairs
07-09-2009, 12:15 PM
What inning was this Dye shot in? I have mlb.tv, I'd like to see it.