07-08-2009, 09:35 PM
Discuss.

soxnut1018
07-08-2009, 09:35 PM
Cleveland Sucks! :bliss:
kM7C_yNlCLU

DirtySox
07-08-2009, 09:36 PM
We need to play Cleveland for the rest of the year.

mccoydp
07-08-2009, 09:36 PM
Me likey winning. :cool:

ChiSox89
07-08-2009, 09:37 PM
Great games for both Jose and Dye.

JB98
We need to play Cleveland for the rest of the year.

No kidding. We've beaten them five straight, and Jenks did not appear in any of those five games. All easy wins.

Another good one for Contreras, and the top four men in the lineup got the job done offensively -- combined 8-for-15 with five runs scored and four RBIs.

GoGoCrede
Thanks for playing, Cleveland. Contreras continues to impress, so happy for him.

chisoxfanatic
07-08-2009, 09:38 PM
No kidding. We've beaten them five straight, and Jenks did not appear in any of those five games. All easy wins.
That's pretty much the key. Never let them up for air, because if you do, they could come all the way back.

Another quality outing by the Sox! Let's go for the sweep tomorrow.

johnnyg83
07-08-2009, 09:39 PM
good win with just one XBH.

ChiSox89
07-08-2009, 09:39 PM
Back up to 4 games over .500.

DirtySox
07-08-2009, 09:40 PM
I will be ecstatic if we play like this against Minny. (Preferably with some bottom of the order production.)

doublem23
07-08-2009, 09:41 PM
High water mark of the year... so far.

Huisj
07-08-2009, 09:51 PM

Another good one for Contreras, and the top four men in the lineup got the job done offensively -- combined 8-for-15 with five runs scored and four RBIs.

Speaking of Jenks, will we ever see him again? He hasn't had a chance to get in a game since last Thursday.

doublem23
07-08-2009, 09:52 PM
Speaking of Jenks, will we ever see him again? He hasn't had a chance to get in a game since last Thursday.

:walnuts :thome: :dye: :AJ: :pods:
Sorry.

Frater Perdurabo
07-08-2009, 09:54 PM
I make better thread titles. :tongue:

Anyway, if the Sox are to make a run at this division, they need to beat up on the "teams you're supposed to beat." The Indians are one of those teams.

The schedule still includes 30 very tough matchups:
7 w/NYY
8 w/BOS
9 in MIN
6 w/LAA

So the Sox need to pad their schedule as much as possible against the 24 remaining games against the dregs:
7 w/CLE
6 w/KC
5 w/OAK
6 w/BAL

And they still need to do well in the other 24 games that are in the "average" category:
3 home v. MIN
4 home v. TB
1 @ Cubs
6 @ SEA
10 v. DET

SpiderJames
07-08-2009, 09:54 PM
Does anyone know what was going on during the 6th? Everyone on the 3rd base side stood up and I saw AJ throw a towel into the crowd, no one really knew what was going on.

LoveYourSuit
07-08-2009, 09:55 PM
Jose is looking like post allstar 2005 :o:

Amazing.

thomas35forever
07-08-2009, 09:55 PM
What else to say except let's go for the sweep tomorrow.

doublem23
07-08-2009, 09:56 PM
Jose is looking like post allstar 2005 :o:

Amazing.

Let's hope whatever time machine Jose walked into in Charlotte, Bartolo finds, too.

veeter
07-08-2009, 09:57 PM
:walnuts :thome: :dye: :AJ: :pods:
Sorry.Exactly. Comfortable wins don't bother me at all. Jenks will get his chance soon enough in Minny.

doublem23
07-08-2009, 09:59 PM
Exactly. Comfortable wins don't bother me at all. Jenks will get his chance soon enough in Minny.

:contreras: :Floyd: :Danks: :burly
This might be our fault, too.

LoveYourSuit
07-08-2009, 10:02 PM
Exactly. Comfortable wins don't bother me at all. Jenks will get his chance soon enough in Minny.

I thought we would see him get some work in today.

I hope there is nothing wrong with him or a even a trade looming (reason Pena was picked up).

JB98
07-08-2009, 10:04 PM
I thought we would see him get some work in today.

I hope there is nothing wrong with him or a even a trade looming (reason Pena was picked up).

I really doubt there's anything wrong with Jenks. You never know -- the Sox might need him the next three days. And if that happens, he'll be rested and ready. You save him for when you need him.

Frater Perdurabo
07-08-2009, 10:05 PM
I'm not saying it will happen, but here's a possible way to get to 90 wins, which requires a 46-32 record in the remaining 78 games:

Go 12-18 overall in these 30 very tough matchups:
7 w/NYY
8 w/BOS
9 in MIN
6 w/LAA

Go 20-4 against the dregs in these games:
7 w/CLE
6 w/KC
5 w/OAK
6 w/BAL

Go 14-10 in these games:
3 home v. MIN
4 home v. TB
1 @ Cubs
6 @ SEA
10 v. DET (3 home, 7 away)

I think 90 wins takes the division, depending on how the Sox do in their 12 remaining games with MIN and 10 with DET.

LoveYourSuit
07-08-2009, 10:11 PM
I'm not saying it will happen, but here's a possible way to get to 90 wins, which requires a 46-32 record in the remaining 78 games:

7 w/NYY
8 w/BOS
9 in MIN
6 w/LAA

I think if we play .500 Vs that bunch there..... many will start believing on this team.

ode to veeck
07-08-2009, 10:21 PM
Let's hope whatever time machine Jose walked into in Charlotte, Bartolo finds, too.

maybe that's where Barto is now that noone seems to know where he is .. hanging out with the Eloi

SoxSpeed22
07-08-2009, 10:40 PM
Good win. Do it again tomorrow.

BleacherBandit
07-08-2009, 10:41 PM
This is huge:

Scotty gets on base three times, and JD ends up driving him in three times.

That is the example of a leadoff hitter and cleanup hitter hitting in tandem at its finest.

Red Barchetta
07-08-2009, 10:44 PM

7 w/NYY
8 w/BOS
9 in MIN
6 w/LAA

7 w/CLE
6 w/KC
5 w/OAK
6 w/BAL

Go 14-10 in these games:
3 home v. MIN
4 home v. TB
1 @ Cubs
6 @ SEA

I think 90 wins takes the division, depending on how the Sox do in their 12 remaining games with MIN and 10 with DET.

The good news is the SOX are one of only four teams in the AL with a winning records on the road. The other three are the Red Sox, Yankees and Angels! :smile:

chidavid18
07-08-2009, 10:46 PM
a fan got hit in the head by a broken bat.

beasly213
07-08-2009, 10:46 PM
It's a little ridiculous how good Pods has been for us.

It's straight up bananas!!! :bandance::bandance::bandance:

palehozenychicty
07-08-2009, 10:55 PM
I am liking the consistent winners. People were quitting on this team in May. Baseball is a long season now. Real long.

ChiSoxGirl
07-08-2009, 11:05 PM
I am liking the consistent winners. People were quitting on this team in May. Baseball is a long season now. Real long.

People were quitting on this team three days ago after they dropped two to the Royals! I think it's inevitable that some people are going to quit on this team pretty much every time they lose.

chisoxfanatic
07-08-2009, 11:14 PM
People were quitting on this team three days ago after they dropped two to the Royals! I think it's inevitable that some people are going to quit on this team pretty much every time they lose.
Such is life at WSI. I think that just seems to happen more when they lose any game to a bottom-feeder.

voodoochile
07-08-2009, 11:16 PM

:welcome:

Great to be beating the teams we need to beat. Yankees beating the twinkies is helping too. Hopefully we'll fare better.

Bottom half of the lineup was horrible aside from Castro's two just misses and Beckham's SF. Good thing the top 5 guys brought their bats.

Mr. Contreras, your table is ready. Heck of a performance.

:soxwin:

:)

october23sp
07-08-2009, 11:17 PM
Too be honest I'm glad we dropped a couple to the Royals. You're winning streak can't get too high.

I'm loving this.:bandance:

Konerko05
07-08-2009, 11:17 PM
As a FOBA, Brian Anderson looks awful at the plate. He doesn't look like he has a chance. I didn't even want to watch his last two at-bats today.

He takes pitches right down the plate and gets behind in the count every at-bat. And I don't think there is a worse hitter with two strikes.

He tries to pull everything including offspeed pitches on the outside corner. How many times does he ground out weakly to the left side of the infield?

He seriously needs to change his approach and start hitting the ball opposite field and up the middle.

The more he slumps, the more he presses causing his at-bats to continually get worse. I'm not making any excuses, but you can tell he feels every day is an audition. If he ever hits, it will not be for this organization.

voodoochile
07-08-2009, 11:20 PM

It's the coward's approach. Easier to quit early so you can come back and rub it in or hope no one remembers come playoff time. This way they don't have to become emotionally involved with the team and can quit anytime.

It's a gutless lifeless way of being a fan, but they like to call themselves realists and laugh at the people who go through an entire season hoping for good things and riding the ups and downs. What ya gonna do?

doublem23

I can't really blame people, though. The Sox were a good team last year, but they weren't anything special and it looked like they took a step backward this off-season. I understand the long-term ramifications of the moves KW made (at least, I think I did), but there was a very good argument that a lot of the moves that had been made were sacrificing 2009. Coming into this year, the Sox had no lead-off hitter, a platoon in CF consisting of 2 career minor leaguers and a career .230 hitter, turnover at 3/4 of the infield, and were counting on Colon and Contreras to eat 40% of their starts. When things went poorly out of the gate, it was perfectly understandable for some people to question the make-up of this particular Sox team.

If TCQ comes back healthy and ready to mash in the 2nd half and (fingers crossed), KW can add 1 more starting pitcher, this team is built for the long-haul. I mean it.

chisoxfanatic
Too be honest I'm glad we dropped a couple to the Royals. You're winning streak can't get too high.
There's never a "too high" when talking about a winning streak!

Britt Burns
07-08-2009, 11:24 PM
Great game! Let's do it again tomorrow.

voodoochile
07-08-2009, 11:25 PM

I'm loving this.:bandance:

Whoever said Sox fans were schizophrenic had you in mind...

:therapy:

or

:prozac

Take your pick...:tongue:

drewcifer
07-08-2009, 11:29 PM
As a FOBA, Brian Anderson looks awful at the plate. He doesn't look like he has a chance. I didn't even want to watch his last two at-bats today.

He takes pitches right down the plate and gets behind in the count every at-bat. And I don't think there is a worse hitter with two strikes.

He tries to pull everything including offspeed pitches on the outside corner. How many times does he ground out weakly to the left side of the infield?

He seriously needs to change his approach and start hitting the ball opposite field and up the middle.

The more he slumps, the more he presses causing his at-bats to continually get worse. I'm not making any excuses, but you can tell he feels every day is an audition. If he ever hits, it will not be for this organization.

With the way Pods has been playing, he's assuredly going to move to CF when TCQ is back. Jordan Danks and the new signing today show CF is not going to linger as an issue without depth going forward.

I'd say the "audition" is over after 3 1/2 years - BA is on death row with the Sox.

DirtySox
07-08-2009, 11:30 PM

It is probably worse now, but up to June 27th Brian was hitting .141 after taking a first pitch strike. If he falls behind in an AB he is lost and it shows.

jabrch
07-08-2009, 11:32 PM
People were quitting on this team three days ago after they dropped two to the Royals!

I can't help but wonder how much of this is bluster and show. If these people really are fans, and they are that negative - really - after a loss or two - that would be a horrible existance. I don't get it.

It's the coward's approach. Easier to quit early so you can come back and rub it in or hope no one remembers come playoff time. This way they don't have to become emotionally involved with the team and can quit anytime.

It's a gutless lifeless way of being a fan, but they like to call themselves realists and laugh at the people who go through an entire season hoping for good things and riding the ups and downs. What ya gonna do?

You go Voo!

I can't really blame people, though.

I have no problem blaming people for behaving like ass-hats after 2 road losses to finish a road trip 5-2 in the midst of a 9-4 streak. I have no problem blaming people for that. It's pathetic and it shows a complete lack of understanding the ups and downs that a major league team goes through in a good season.

You can't blame them? Really Dubs? You see the stupid **** that goes on here after a loss or two. You see the stuff in the threads here. You can't blame them? That's surprising to me.

PhillipsBubba
07-08-2009, 11:33 PM
As a FOBA, Brian Anderson looks awful at the plate. He doesn't look like he has a chance.

You are sooooo right...I hate to say it but the BA era should end real soon...he just isn't getting any better

chisoxfanatic
07-08-2009, 11:40 PM
You are sooooo right...I hate to say it but the BA era should end real soon...he just isn't getting any better
Since TCQ is probably at least a few weeks away (I've read that he's still experiencing discomfort when rounding the bases), what else is our option? Do you really want Wise starting every day?

ChiSoxGirl
07-08-2009, 11:42 PM
I can't help but wonder how much of this is bluster and show. If these people really are fans, and they are that negative - really - after a loss or two - that would be a horrible existance. I don't get it.

I'm with you. I approach being a die-hard fan of this team in one way- it's baseball and I love it. We wait SO LONG through the long, cold months of the off-season for baseball to return- first in the form of pitchers & catchers reporting to Arizona, then position players reporting, then Spring Training games, the team breaking camp, and finally Opening Day. I embrace every single game- I root like hell when they're doing well, and get bummed when they're losing, but never once do I throw in the towel and say "they're done." I've been a fan for 20 years, which is long enough for me to have learned that this is a funny game and ANYTHING can happen at any given moment.

october23sp
07-08-2009, 11:44 PM
Since TCQ is probably at least a few weeks away (I've read that he's still experiencing discomfort when rounding the bases), what else is our option? Do you really want Wise starting every day?
:pods:
"Hey how's it goin?"

DirtySox

He is likely the fallback plan for Q's lingering discomfort this year, but he is doing nothing to persuade the organization/fans that he should have a starting job in the future. That seemed to be the question going into the season and conclusions are starting to be drawn. With Pods/Jordanks/Mitchell for the future, BA's starting days are numbered. (The same should be said of Wise, but I assume most people understand that already.)

kittle42

The only interesting thing in CF right now is whether Wise will surpass Anderson's batting average before both of them ride the pine (or, in Wise's case, ride a plane out of town).

chisoxfanatic
07-08-2009, 11:53 PM
:pods:
"Hey how's it goin?"
Now that you mention it, we really only need 2 outfielders, because he IS the almighty Scotty Pods! So, I guess we can clear out both CFers. Scotty Pods will patrol 2/3 of the entire OF.

twinsuck
07-08-2009, 11:56 PM
I'm bringing my broom to the game tomorrow. :D:

not really, I don't wanna jinx it.

PhillipsBubba
07-09-2009, 12:01 AM

I was hoping the Blue Jays would consider BA and DW for Halladay

http://canarypapers.files.wordpress.com/2008/10/barney-fife.jpg

doublem23
07-09-2009, 12:03 AM
I have no problem blaming people for behaving like ass-hats after 2 road losses to finish a road trip 5-2 in the midst of a 9-4 streak. I have no problem blaming people for that. It's pathetic and it shows a complete lack of understanding the ups and downs that a major league team goes through in a good season.

You can't blame them? Really Dubs? You see the stupid **** that goes on here after a loss or two. You see the stuff in the threads here. You can't blame them? That's surprising to me.

I agree with you about the clowns that went nuts after the 2-game downer to end the series in KC. I don't see how anyone could be mad with the Sox since at least the Dodgers series, and really, much earlier than that, they have looked excellent for a long time now and I'm very comfortable with this team's chances going forward.

I was more talking about the folks that threw their hands up in May-ish when the Sox were completely dead and lifeless. On May 18, following the sweep in Toronto the Sox were 7 games under .500. Then again, on June 10th, at the tail end of that homestand from hell, they were 6 games under .500 but 6.5 games behind Detroit, both nadirs for the season. Even the cheeriest of optimists would have to agree that this team has looked very bad for some runs during this season.

The good news is we hopefully add an All-Star caliber outfielder for a 2nd half run and in the last 10 games, we have picked up 3 games on the Tigers. At that rate, we will win the Central by 22 games. :D:

drewcifer
07-09-2009, 12:06 AM
Who are all these nuts after the 2 games dropped to KC? I was out of town, but I thought I scanned through what I missed and don't recall anything huge... who am I missing? :shrug:

october23sp
07-09-2009, 12:10 AM
Why were people freaking out after the 2 losses in KC?

I was at my Lake Cabin and missed the games. The scores didn't seem out of control. You win some, you lose some. I like winning a whole hell of a lot more, however.

jabrch
07-09-2009, 12:13 AM
I was more talking about the folks that threw their hands up in May-ish when the Sox were completely dead and lifeless. On May 18, following the sweep in Toronto the Sox were 7 games under .500. Then again, on June 10th, at the tail end of that homestand from hell, they were 6 games under .500 but 6.5 games behind Detroit, both nadirs for the season. Even the cheeriest of optimists would have to agree that this team has looked very bad for some runs during this season.

Sure - looked bad at times - but to throw in the towel, and to be so negative and so nasty and so bitter in MAY and JUNE is ridiculous. Sure - you may end up right. But there is a chance you will look asstasticly stupid. I'm waiting to hear from some of those people now. There was reason to believe this team was not as bad as it was playing - some people chose to completely ignore that.

The good news is we hopefully add an All-Star caliber outfielder for a 2nd half run

And I am unconvinced that KW is going to sit on his hands. We already replaced Gobble with Pena. That's good. Will we get Halladay? I don't know - and neither does anyone else. For all KW talks, the truth is he surely isn't giving up on the possibility. And who will he get? Will he add someone? Big? Small? Starter? CF? Who knows... I don't see Detroit spending too much money - their economy has been crushed worse than ours - and they already have lots of money tied up in a few people (Imagine if we had Ordonez and Willis' contracts?) And Minny is never a team that goes out and adds big. They are going to save every penny they can to resign Mauer.

Lots of people counted this team out just a few weeks ago. I'm glad the players have been around the game to know not to quit. I'm surprised at some of our intelligent fans/posters who don't have that same perspective.

Lip Man 1
07-09-2009, 12:16 AM
You begin to wonder with the way Jose Contreras has come back from the dead and the way Scott Podsednik has performed since joining the team if Kenny Williams hasn't made a deal with Mr. Applegate (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0051516/).

Seriously...how could anybody have expected this?

Contreras was brilliant Wednesday night and the Sox generated offense without the home run in getting a solid, workmanlike win.

Lip

doublem23
07-09-2009, 12:27 AM
Sure - looked bad at times - but to throw in the towel, and to be so negative and so nasty and so bitter in MAY and JUNE is ridiculous. Sure - you may end up right. But there is a chance you will look asstasticly stupid. I'm waiting to hear from some of those people now. There was reason to believe this team was not as bad as it was playing - some people chose to completely ignore that.

That's the risk you take. I think someone looks as asstastically stupid if they keep telling themselves everything will be OK, everything will be OK while the boat they're sitting on slowly sinks. Just a matter of opinion, I guess.

And I am unconvinced that KW is going to sit on his hands. We already replaced Gobble with Pena. That's good. Will we get Halladay? I don't know - and neither does anyone else. For all KW talks, the truth is he surely isn't giving up on the possibility. And who will he get? Will he add someone? Big? Small? Starter? CF? Who knows... I don't see Detroit spending too much money - their economy has been crushed worse than ours - and they already have lots of money tied up in a few people (Imagine if we had Ordonez and Willis' contracts?) And Minny is never a team that goes out and adds big. They are going to save every penny they can to resign Mauer.

Lots of people counted this team out just a few weeks ago. I'm glad the players have been around the game to know not to quit. I'm surprised at some of our intelligent fans/posters who don't have that same perspective.

I'm sure he's going to burn the midnight oil, too, but I think the numbers are a bit against the Sox. Currently, there are 21 teams in the MLB within 5 games of a play-off spot. That makes for a lot of potential buyers. I don't think they have the top prospects to match some other teams for the big hauls this trade deadline.

But the Pena for Gobble move makes me happy to see KW isn't just looking to hit a HR, he's looking at every spot on the roster to see where we can improve.

DirtySox
07-09-2009, 12:28 AM
Edit: Misread the post. I need sleep.

I still think Kenny is going to stand pat unless the opportunity to add a quality starting pitcher for more then half a year arises.

Konerko05
07-09-2009, 12:34 AM

I wasn't one of those people, but you act as if you knew the Sox would sign Scott Podsednik and he'd miraculously fill the leadoff role this that's been vacant since Scott Podsednik. Or Jose Contreras would make a total 180 at this point in his career after a possible career ending injury. Or Williams would move Beckham to 3B to replace Fields.

The team in April and May was not good, and things didn't look promising whatsoever. I think it's weaker to act indifferent the entire year than to actually form an opinion on the team and be vocal about it on a message board. That is what message boards are for right?

I understand some people take the doom and gloom a little too far, but I think it's silly for you to sit there and act like you're a better fan because they react to the ups and downs. And to be honest, it didn't look like there was going to be another "up."

LoveYourSuit
07-09-2009, 12:42 AM
What the hell happened to this thread :scratch:

Who the hell brought up the towel throwing from this weekend?

We won a game and that's what we are talking about?

jabrch
07-09-2009, 12:46 AM
That's the risk you take. I think someone looks as asstastically stupid if they keep telling themselves everything will be OK, everything will be OK while the boat they're sitting on slowly sinks. Just a matter of opinion, I guess.

There is a difference between "everything WILL be OK" - I didn't hear anyone saying that - and "all hope is not lost - everything COULD be OK." I did hear that. Quitting in May makes no sense to me.

I'm sure he's going to burn the midnight oil, too, but I think the numbers are a bit against the Sox. Currently, there are 21 teams in the MLB within 5 games of a play-off spot. That makes for a lot of potential buyers. I don't think they have the top prospects to match some other teams for the big hauls this trade deadline.

Agreed - but I have faith KW will pull the trigger if it is remotely possible. There are many other GMs who will look to avoid taking the risks that KW will look to take. I like that. Again - no idea how this ends up; just confident that if there is something out there, where he doesn't have to overpay, that KW will go for it.

But the Pena for Gobble move makes me happy to see KW isn't just looking to hit a HR, he's looking at every spot on the roster to see where we can improve.

And that's consistent with his history. Deals like LTP for Thornton and even Carter for TCQ looked to be nothing at the time - but ended up huge. Who knows if Brandon A for Pena will be a similar type deal.

BadBobbyJenks
07-09-2009, 01:03 AM
13-4 our last 17 and I will be there for the sweep tomorrow. :gulp:

SephClone89
07-09-2009, 01:27 AM
You begin to wonder with the way Jose Contreras has come back from the dead and the way Scott Podsednik has performed since joining the team if Kenny Williams hasn't made a deal with Mr. Applegate (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0051516/).

Haha, I like it. Was our musical my junior year of high school. I played the manager and got to sing "Heart."

guillensdisciple
07-09-2009, 02:07 AM
13-4 our last 17 and I will be there for the sweep tomorrow. :gulp:

Ditto, I will be the tool with the broom in hand getting ready to sweep the Indians off our turf.

The White Sox have to end strong before the break in order to create possibilities later.

Go Sox!

Whitesoxfan23
07-09-2009, 02:58 AM
Jab, just shutup. You totally hijacked this entire thread with your whining nonsense. You Pollyannas are just as annoying as the so called "Dark clouds". Yeah, I was pretty upset when we split with the Royals. Maybe I was getting spoiled with our winning streak, and I overreacted. Can we stop saying the "I told you so" crap whenever the Sox win, and for when the Sox lose? Both sides look dumb doing that. We are all White Sox fans here. No need to be divided. This isn't highschool. No cliques.

Johnny Mostil
07-09-2009, 07:19 AM

7 w/NYY
8 w/BOS
9 in MIN
6 w/LAA

7 w/CLE
6 w/KC
5 w/OAK
6 w/BAL

Go 14-10 in these games:
3 home v. MIN
4 home v. TB
1 @ Cubs
6 @ SEA

Of course it's possible! Sox opened 44-40 in '93 and won 50 more and opened 44-40 in '83 and won 55 more! I doubt that means anything (and, no, I'm not going to compare opponents for games 89 through 162 on the '83, '93, and '09 schedules) except as a reminder that it's always interesting to watch a season unfold . . .

TomBradley72
07-09-2009, 07:34 AM

I've been a huge FOBA over the years...but he now looks completely lost at the plate and even a little passive in the field. The contrast is dramatic when he bats right behind Beckham....BA seems to almost be throwing in the towel from my perspective...he's not just hitting poorly...he's become irrelevent...he almost no impact on the game...at the plate, in the field or on the bases...based on the age and defensive capabilities of our other OF's..I think we still need him if/when TCQ comes back...but as far as any consideration that he'll ever be a starter for the White Sox..that's over.

Over By There
07-09-2009, 08:05 AM

Really well said, vc.

As good as the Sox are playing recently, there's no question they will go through another rough patch somewhere down the line and all the PPDCers (haven't seen that term used much since the days of the Detroit/Cabrera trade :smile:) will come back out of the woodwork. Best thing is to try not to get too low after losses or too high after wins... but that kind of even-keeled perspective is something that is usually missing at WSI. Oh well, it's also what keeps things interesting. :smile:

TommyJohn
07-09-2009, 08:25 AM
Of course it's possible! Sox opened 44-40 in '93 and won 50 more and opened 44-40 in '83 and won 55 more! I doubt that means anything (and, no, I'm not going to compare opponents for games 89 through 162 on the '83, '93, and '09 schedules) except as a reminder that it's always interesting to watch a season unfold . . .

And in 1984 they were 44-40 and in 1st place, then went 30-48 the rest of the way to finish 74-88, dooming them for the rest of the decade, sending them into a tailspin from which they will never recover. It's over. Let's face it. Let's just end it all now.

*whoa* Sorry, I was channeling my Inner [insert name of your favorite "Dark Cloud" here.]

Ranger
07-09-2009, 08:59 AM

Well said.

Ranger
07-09-2009, 09:02 AM
Does anyone know what was going on during the 6th? Everyone on the 3rd base side stood up and I saw AJ throw a towel into the crowd, no one really knew what was going on.

Broken bat hit a woman in the head. I think she was ok, though. She got up and walked to the concourse on her own.

October26
07-09-2009, 09:08 AM
What a magnificent job of pitching Jose did last night! I am really happy to see him pitch so well, because I honestly thought that after the achilles injury, his career was over. I am very happy to say that I was wrong. Go Sox!

Jim Shorts
07-09-2009, 09:10 AM

Wow. You really like to use venom.

Why can't people just vent a frustration on a message board without being called quitters and cowards?

Please answer honestly. If I don't blow sunshine when it's a bit overcast, I am a coward?

I frequent 3-4 different boards covering a variety of subjects. Venting and discussion is the purpose of these things.

I also heap praise when warranted. Does that make me a bandwaggoner?

Johnny Mostil
07-09-2009, 09:17 AM
And in 1984 they were 44-40 and in 1st place, then went 30-48 the rest of the way to finish 74-88, dooming them for the rest of the decade, sending them into a tailspin from which they will never recover. It's over. Let's face it. Let's just end it all now.

*whoa* Sorry, I was channeling my Inner [insert name of your favorite "Dark Cloud" here.]

Heh. But that's the only time in the past 35 years that they started 44-40 and ended with a losing record!:wink:

jabrch
07-09-2009, 09:27 AM
Why can't people just vent a frustration on a message board without being called quitters and cowards?

There is a significant difference between the two. Venting frustration and quitting are very different.

Please answer honestly. If I don't blow sunshine when it's a bit overcast, I am a coward?

Nope - but running with your analogy, if you become negative at the first sign of a challenge, because it is easier to think the worst and be pleasantly surprised than getting your hopes up and being disappointed, then you are a coward.

I frequent 3-4 different boards covering a variety of subjects. Venting and discussion is the purpose of these things.

There is a difference between, "We played like **** TODAY" and "This team sucks and is hopeless". One is an observation - the other is cowardly.

If you went from saying we suck, have no hope, are a terrible team, and we should fire the manager, GM, hitting coach, cut players, dump guys, and start thinking of 2011 in mid May to now saying you are doubling down on your season tickets so you can get twice as many WS tickets, then yes you are a bandwagon jumper.

jabrch
07-09-2009, 09:33 AM
I wasn't one of those people, but you act as if you knew the Sox would sign Scott Podsednik and he'd miraculously fill the leadoff role this that's been vacant since Scott Podsednik. Or Jose Contreras would make a total 180 at this point in his career after a possible career ending injury. Or Williams would move Beckham to 3B to replace Fields.

The team in April and May was not good, and things didn't look promising whatsoever. I think it's weaker to act indifferent the entire year than to actually form an opinion on the team and be vocal about it on a message board. That is what message boards are for right?

I understand some people take the doom and gloom a little too far, but I think it's silly for you to sit there and act like you're a better fan because they react to the ups and downs. And to be honest, it didn't look like there was going to be another "up."

I had no idea what would happen. That's exactly the point. I'm not saying I am a better fan. Everyone is their own type of fan.

Jim Shorts
07-09-2009, 09:33 AM
There is a significant difference between the two. Venting frustration and quitting are very different.

Nope - but running with your analogy, if you become negative at the first sign of a challenge, because it is easier to think the worst and be pleasantly surprised than getting your hopes up and being disappointed, then you are a coward.

There is a difference between, "We played like **** TODAY" and "This team sucks and is hopeless". One is an observation - the other is cowardly.

If you went from saying we suck, have no hope, are a terrible team, and we should fire the manager, GM, hitting coach, cut players, dump guys, and start thinking of 2011 in mid May to now saying you are doubling down on your season tickets so you can get twice as many WS tickets, then yes you are a bandwagon jumper.

I appreciate the clarification here. Between the turn this thread took and the KW thread, I was feeling like you and Voodoo were just lumping everyone that disagrees with you into the cowardly pile.

TommyJohn
07-09-2009, 09:34 AM
Heh. But that's the only time in the past 35 years that they started 44-40 and ended with a losing record!:wink:Good point! I'm positive again!

voodoochile
07-09-2009, 09:36 AM
Wow. You really like to use venom.

I don't care if people vent it's the constant ledge sitting whenever the team goes through a 3 game losing streak.

I admit that I am a overt optimist when it comes to the teams I follow and life in general. I tend to see the best possible outcomes at all times. I wasn't happy either after the horrid homestand from hell to open June and was starting to think the Sox season might not be a happy making one, but I didn't quit.

Being angry after a tough loss or a rough series is one thing. People were backing up the truck for this team in mid-May with over 100 games to play and calling the folks who still thought it was too early names. 6 weeks later and things have turned around. I didn't single anyone out. If my post offends you personally, it's because you see yourself in it. Not my fault, that's yours. I'm entitled to an opinion and my opinion is that people who regularly fill this forum with venom and anger are gutless cowards and again, I haven't named a single name. The fact you are defending said viewpoint I find intriguing...

Jim Shorts
07-09-2009, 10:20 AM
I don't care if people vent it's the constant ledge sitting whenever the team goes through a 3 game losing streak.

I admit that I am a overt optimist when it comes to the teams I follow and life in general. I tend to see the best possible outcomes at all times. I wasn't happy either after the horrid homestand from hell to open June and was starting to think the Sox season might not be a happy making one, but I didn't quit.

Being angry after a tough loss or a rough series is one thing. People were backing up the truck for this team in mid-May with over 100 games to play and calling the folks who still thought it was too early names. 6 weeks later and things have turned around. I didn't single anyone out. If my post offends you personally, it's because you see yourself in it. Not my fault, that's yours. I'm entitled to an opinion and my opinion is that people who regularly fill this forum with venom and anger are gutless cowards and again, I haven't named a single name. The fact you are defending said viewpoint I find intriguing...

Nothing really intriguing at all. We've exchanged pleasantries prior and I participated in both threads.

You're certainly welcome to keep over analyzing everyone's POV, if that's what does it for you.

thedudeabides
07-09-2009, 10:33 AM
I've been a huge FOBA over the years...but he now looks completely lost at the plate and even a little passive in the field. The contrast is dramatic when he bats right behind Beckham....BA seems to almost be throwing in the towel from my perspective...he's not just hitting poorly...he's become irrelevent...he almost no impact on the game...at the plate, in the field or on the bases...based on the age and defensive capabilities of our other OF's..I think we still need him if/when TCQ comes back...but as far as any consideration that he'll ever be a starter for the White Sox..that's over.

I have to completely agree with you, and I've always been a proponent of Brian starting, given the current choices. I'd actually rather see Wise out there, or Hopper called up, until TCQ comes back. Brian doesn't have a chance at the plate, and for some reason he seems to be playing very shallow defensively and isn't getting to some balls over his head, that I thought he would have a play on.

hawkjt
07-09-2009, 12:34 PM
Jose and Pods have been huge keys so far.
Jose...last six starts 2.06 era...wow.
Pods...on base .369- hitting .310...wow.

I loved that quote from Jose in todays paper...''I feel like a new player, with the drop in weight...wish I had done it years ago''

That is a man with confidence...love it.

Konerko05
07-09-2009, 02:13 PM

How do you know these fans are actually quitting and they aren't just extremely emotional fans. If these fans seriously walked away from the team at the beginning of the year, I would agree with you but I don't think that's the case.

Like you said, every fan is different. So why are you calling fans "cowards" because they don't follow a season exactly like you. Some could say it's easier to sit there all season thinking "maybe they will win, maybe they won't.... either way I won't be wrong or let down."

You are right, sometimes these types of fans are annoying after loses, but they wouldn't be on this site venting unless they were still emotional about the team. They would be doing anything unrelated to the White Sox because they already "quit."

Argue with these fans if you want, but I don't agree with insulting them. By the looks of some of their posts, there is nothing easy about the way they watch a White Sox season.

Madscout
07-09-2009, 02:14 PM
All I know is, my Sox have won 9 of the last 11, and they are on the verge of sweeping the tribe, again.

Kick ass.
:gulp:

hi im skot
07-09-2009, 02:17 PM
All I know is, my Sox have won 9 of the last 11, and they are on the verge of sweeping the tribe, again.

Kick ass.
:gulp:

Not watching today's game, eh?

:redneck

Madscout
07-09-2009, 02:20 PM

Ouch. Oh, well. If you had told me we would take 5 of 6 from them, I'd say I'd take it.

ode to veeck
07-09-2009, 02:39 PM

It's not over til the fat lady sings