PDA

View Full Version : question for older person

Redus Redux
07-08-2009, 03:15 PM
Did it used to be more commonplace to call Wrigley "Cubs Park" ?

Is that something specifically southside (i ask as my dad says it)

cbone
07-08-2009, 03:17 PM
I have never heard it called that.

Noneck
07-08-2009, 03:27 PM
Yes, My mother and grandmother called it that. I still do if I don't want to be offensive by calling it the urinal.

Thinking about this, I never used to call it Comiskey(The Real Comiskey Park that is) either. I always called it Sox Park.

dwalteroo
07-08-2009, 03:31 PM
I like to call it "Cub Park." Taking the "s" off of Cubs when referring to them somehow sounds derogatory. Like, "nice Cub hat." Maybe that's just me.

LITTLE NELL
07-08-2009, 03:42 PM
When I was a kid it was Sox Park and Cubs Park.

PS. The Cubs use to run a funny commercial back in the 50s when they were real bad and it was a Sox town; went something like this: Hi Dorothy, its Marge. How about we go out to Cubs Park today, its ladies day, free admission,lots of sun and fresh air and good food plus we will get to see a major League baseball game.
Even back then, they were selling the ballpark( for about 4,000 fans).

soxrme
07-08-2009, 04:22 PM
When I was a kid it was always Sox park and cubs park. I lived not far from cubs park and thats what everyone around us called it. When we were younger nobody went there, some games had about 2000 people and the upper deck wasn't ever open during the week. Mostly had school kids who were on field trips. I did see Stan Musial get his 3000th hit there

WhiteSox5187
07-08-2009, 04:29 PM
It's name was technically Cubs Park back in like 1916 before the Wrigleys bought the team. Comiskey Park was also once known as White Sox Park officially from like 1971-1975 I think.

LITTLE NELL
07-08-2009, 04:32 PM
When I was a kid it was always Sox park and cubs park. I lived not far from cubs park and thats what everyone around us called it. When we were younger nobody went there, some games had about 2000 people and the upper deck wasn't ever open during the week. Mostly had school kids who were on field trips. I did see Stan Musial get his 3000th hit there
I remember that hit, double to Left Center field.
You are right about the upper deck, closed most of the time. I was a vendor and was lucky if I made 5 bucks at Cubs Park, did quite well at Sox park, 15-20 bucks selling coke or peanuts.

Railsplitter
07-08-2009, 04:34 PM
Did it used to be more commonplace to call Wrigley "Cubs Park" ?

Is that something specifically southside (i ask as my dad says it)

Yes, before the Wrigley family bought the Schlubs.

Noneck
07-08-2009, 04:37 PM
I remember that hit, double to Left Center field.
You are right about the upper deck, closed most of the time. I was a vendor and was lucky if I made 5 bucks at Cubs Park, did quite well at Sox park, 15-20 bucks selling coke or peanuts.
I remember the upper deck mainly open on weekends. Thats why I have never sat there, as a kid with nothing to do in summertime I used to go to cubs games during the week. I never remember the upper deck open.

TheVulture
07-08-2009, 06:18 PM
I like to call it "Cub Park." Taking the "s" off of Cubs when referring to them somehow sounds derogatory. Like, "nice Cub hat." Maybe that's just me.

I'm totally with you there.:cheers:

SoxGirl4Life
07-08-2009, 08:10 PM
Overheard on the elevator by an out of towner (carrying a suitcase) today:
"I'd like to go to the Cubs game. I don't care about the Cubs but I'd like to say I just went there for history or something"

I had to bite my tongue to not say anything.

And yes, Sox Park, Cubs park. Kept things simple.

Edit: By answering, did I admit to being "older"? :?:

34rancher
07-09-2009, 12:29 PM
Yes, before the Wrigley family bought the Schlubs.

It's name was technically Cubs Park back in like 1916 before the Wrigleys bought the team. Comiskey Park was also once known as White Sox Park officially from like 1971-1975 I think.
It used to be Weegham Park, then Cubs Park, then the corporate family Wrigley Field. I am gueesing it will become Ameritrade Field in the not too distant future.

LITTLE NELL
07-09-2009, 12:59 PM
The dump was'nt even built for the Cubs, it was built for the Chicago Whales of the Federal league.

eriqjaffe
07-09-2009, 01:00 PM
The dump was'nt even built for the Cubs, it was built for the Chicago Whales of the Federal league.Only Federal League park still standing, too.

LITTLE NELL
07-09-2009, 01:05 PM
It used to be Weegham Park, then Cubs Park, then the corporate family Wrigley Field. I am gueesing it will become Ameritrade Field in the not too distant future.
Ameritrade Field in the Meadowlands has a nice ring to it.

FielderJones
07-10-2009, 03:24 PM
It used to be Weegham Park

Weeghman (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chicago_Whales), not Weegham. Charles Weeghman bought the Cubs after the Federal League folded.

Law11
07-10-2009, 04:07 PM
yep my grandfather called it Cubs Park and Sox Park. I think I may have even called it that for a while as a little kid. I know I still use Sox park frequently.

SOXPHILE
07-10-2009, 05:59 PM
I'm in my late 30's, so I guess I could be considered "older", but I've heard that dump called both. The names are interchangeable to me, it doesn't really matter. I too remember the upper deck being closed, as recently as the late 70's and early 80's, going to games there as a kid. This was just before the three ring circus began in 1984.