PDA

View Full Version : Anyone going to both games today?

kittle42
07-08-2009, 10:44 AM
It's the one time this season it's possible. A group of us is doing it for the 4th year today. Leaving work in an hour!

Chez
07-08-2009, 11:14 AM
It's the one time this season it's possible. A group of us is doing it for the 4th year today. Leaving work in an hour!

I've always wanted to do that (but never have)! Have fun.

white sox bill
07-08-2009, 11:17 AM
Just don't get drunk and run out on the field at Wrigley. You know how those trailer trash Sox fans are!!

kittle42
07-08-2009, 11:29 AM
just don't get drunk and run out on the field at wrigley. You know how those trailer trash sox fans are!!

:)

Woofer
07-08-2009, 11:30 AM
These have been the problem games in recent history. Sox security would be wise to turn away people that appear to have been drinking tonight. I don't know if that is possible, but I fear that there will be problems in the stands tonight. The Sox will get all the blame, not the drunken idiots.

maristsox
07-08-2009, 01:48 PM
Did it once and spent way too much money, good luck. Just stay away from margaritas at the sox game during the night cap

Boondock Saint
07-08-2009, 01:53 PM
I plan on doing it on the 30th. Cubs/Astros and Sox/Yankees.

TDog
07-08-2009, 01:56 PM

Are the Sox playing a doubleheader today?

jcw218
07-08-2009, 02:09 PM
Are the Sox playing a doubleheader today?

No. It's a Chicago doubleheader. Cubs are playing host to Atlanta in the day and the Sox play host to Cleveland at 7:11.

SoxFan78
07-08-2009, 03:28 PM
I'm here at wrigley right now, I miss comiskey. Going to tailgate after this hopefully the rain will stay away

chisoxfanatic
07-08-2009, 03:55 PM
The only time I would ever consider going to Wrigley again would be to cheer on the Cardinals. I won't deal with the crap that goes on at Wrigley during the Crosstown series and have no real reason to want to go there.

DumpJerry
07-08-2009, 03:59 PM
The only time I would ever consider going to Wrigley again would be to cheer on the Cardinals. I won't deal with the crap that goes on at Wrigley during the Crosstown series and have no real reason to want to go there.
It's nice to go to a baseball game where you don't give a rat's ass who wins. I've gone to non-Sox games at The Urinal so I can watch the baseball without living and dying on each pitch, etc. That way you can appreciate what both teams do without wanting to kill someone over a missed call or botched play.

I just make sure my shots are all current before I get there......

chisoxfanatic
07-08-2009, 04:15 PM
It's nice to go to a baseball game where you don't give a rat's ass who wins. I've gone to non-Sox games at The Urinal so I can watch the baseball without living and dying on each pitch, etc. That way you can appreciate what both teams do without wanting to kill someone over a missed call or botched play.

I just make sure my shots are all current before I get there......
The thing is, if I ever went to Wrigley again, I would care about who wins.

StillMissOzzie
07-08-2009, 08:55 PM
Me and my son did a Red Line doubleheader last year that ended with Elvis Night at the Cell. I'd do it again if circumstances allowed (ie, work)

SMO
:gulp:

JB98
07-08-2009, 09:58 PM
Well, it had to be quite a "doubleheader." A Cubbie suckfest followed by a Sox victory. :gulp:

doublem23
07-08-2009, 10:02 PM
The thing is, if I ever went to Wrigley again, I would care about who wins.

I agree, my 2nd favorite team is playing.

TDog
07-08-2009, 10:20 PM
No. It's a Chicago doubleheader. Cubs are playing host to Atlanta in the day and the Sox play host to Cleveland at 7:11.

Sorry. I didn't notice that the Cubs were playing at home. I probably assumed that because the Cubs were on the road because they played a night game Tuesday night when the Sox returned home.

kittle42
07-08-2009, 11:30 PM
Great time.

And no crowd problems I noticed. Of course, despite 40k+ at the Urinal, only 26k at the Cell. Must have been the weather.

Konerko05
07-09-2009, 12:44 AM
Great time.

And no crowd problems I noticed. Of course, despite 40k+ at the Urinal, only 26k at the Cell. Must have been the weather.

You had to go there.

Nellie_Fox
07-09-2009, 12:58 AM
The Chicago National League Baseball Club thanks you for your financial support, and for helping to prove who the more popular team in town is.

gf2020
07-09-2009, 02:00 AM

You wouldn't go to a Cubs-White Sox world series game at Wrigley if you somehow landed tickets?

kittle42
07-09-2009, 03:48 AM
You had to go there.

The Chicago National League Baseball Club thanks you for your financial support, and for helping to prove who the more popular team in town is.

Yeah, yeah, I know. It's just annoying is all.

doublem23
07-09-2009, 03:54 AM
Phi Velasquez, a photographer for the Trib has a nice little slideshow about his day pulling the Cubs/Sox doubleheader.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/chi-090708-cubs-sox-marathon-pictures,0,1416936.photogallery

Boondock Saint
07-09-2009, 04:36 AM

Yeah, it's so depressing to think of all of those World Series rings we've helped them win by buying tickets to their games. Lighten up a bit, Nellie. Personally, I'll go to as many games as I can every year because I love baseball. It isn't a "helping the enemy" thing.

DumpJerry
07-09-2009, 06:43 AM
You wouldn't go to a Cubs-White Sox world series game at Wrigley if you somehow landed tickets?
A lot of us don't get too excited about the Crosstown games any more. Their novelty wore off long ago. Also it is very easy to score tickets at both ballparks for the games. I've been to two of those at The Urinal (including one in the Bleachers) and it was nothing special.

I sell my tickets at Comiskey's games each year.

eriqjaffe
07-09-2009, 08:27 AM
A lot of us don't get too excited about the Crosstown games any more. Their novelty wore off long ago. Also it is very easy to score tickets at both ballparks for the games. I've been to two of those at The Urinal (including one in the Bleachers) and it was nothing special.

I sell my tickets at Comiskey's games each year.Crosstown World Series games != Crosstown Interleague games.

Max Power
07-09-2009, 09:27 AM
I went to both games and had a very good time (the outcomes certainly helped). The early afternoon rain gave me some added leverage with the ticket scalpers and I got bleacher seats for about half price (the Cubs Premium Ticket Outlet wanted over face value for the bleachers. Ha!). The game was pretty dull and the crowd was never really into it, except when they got on Fox and Fukadome for committing errors and on Bradley for overall sucking. There were a few annoying fans near me, but I had prepared myself for it being worse. I try to be indifferent towards the Cubs, but I really didn't want to hear that obnoxious Go Cubs Go song so thanks to the Braves for sparing me from that.
My friend and I had wanted to get out of the Wrigley area and grab a bite to eat. We walked past the seemingly endless blocks of generic, wanna-be trendy bars and got to Chicago's pizza on Sheffield and Wellington. I always stop in there when I'm in the area, which isn't very often. It had just opened so there was no crowd. Then we jumped on the el down to 35th Street.
It took awhile to find a ticket scalper for the Sox game (we were 40 minutes early for the game). We almost settled on buying tickets from the box office, but fortunately we held out and got lower deck reserved for less than face value. The Sox game was obviously excellent, and we even got to enjoy a post-game fireworks show. Side note: I love how removing the switchback ramps at gate 5 really opens up that area. I very underrated improvement.
In conclusion, it was a great way to spend the day and even the el ride back to Evanston seem to go by quicker than usual.

ewokpelts
07-09-2009, 09:52 AM
It's the one time this season it's possible. A group of us is doing it for the 4th year today. Leaving work in an hour!July 30th is a makeup of cubs/astros @ wrigley, as well as game 1 between sox/yankees @ the cell.

kittle42
07-09-2009, 10:04 AM
July 30th is a makeup of cubs/astros @ wrigley, as well as game 1 between sox/yankees @ the cell.

You're right, but that wasn't a calendared one before the season. We like to plan ahead.

Nellie_Fox
07-09-2009, 04:21 PM
Personally, I'll go to as many games as I can every year because I love baseball. It isn't a "helping the enemy" thing.Yes, it is. Deny it all you want. Going to Cubs games helps the Cubs. Period. Both financially and perception-wise.

kittle42
07-09-2009, 04:43 PM
Yes, it is. Deny it all you want. Going to Cubs games helps the Cubs. Period. Both financially and perception-wise.

I still like the base-ball.

And it's the Cubs' bleachers - I know this is a crap argument, but if I didn't have the ticket, someone else would have.

EuroSox35
07-09-2009, 04:57 PM
I usually ignore the Cubs but I watched the end of that game yesterday while working out (hey, it's more free baseball, we are privileged to have 2 teams in town. I hate Wrigley but if I was handed a ticket I'd go). Yep, 40K fans, but 40K who all go 'awwwww' when a ball gets past Fukudome and goes all the way to the wall. Year after year they always have funny ways of blowing games and the fans act shocked. Their fans have a right to be upset, but this isn't anything new. Without having a Sox bias, it's easy to say the Cubs and their drought are one of the biggest jokes in sports and the fans only have themselves to blame for buying into a marketing MACHINE instead of a baseball team and acting entitled to have any sort of edge or attitude, with dumb statements like 'this is the year!'.

gf2020
07-09-2009, 05:20 PM

I sell my tickets at Comiskey's games each year.
I asked what if it was a World Series game, not just an in-season game.

SSrep
07-09-2009, 05:23 PM
Yes, it is. Deny it all you want. Going to Cubs games helps the Cubs. Period. Both financially and perception-wise.

I believe that as long as people pay to go the game, regardless of the product on the field...the cubs will struggle. So I think it's hurting the Cubs

Obviously I don't think one person going does a damn thing...but if you think one person going helps the Cubs perception, well then you're just ridiculous

DumpJerry
07-09-2009, 05:30 PM
To make it to the World Series, the Cubs would have to win seven (7) playoff games. In one postseason.

In their 122 history (not counting 2009), they have never won more than six (6) games in one postseason.

Too hypothetical to consider what I would do with tickets to a White Sox/Cubs' World Series.

chisoxfanatic
07-09-2009, 06:23 PM
Hell no, I would not! I'd stay at home on the south side of Chicago and watch it in a place where there would be no Cubs fans.
Too hypothetical to consider what I would do with tickets to a White Sox/Cubs' World Series.
Let's see here. The Cubs have not won a World Series in 101 years. They have not played in a World Series in 64 years. I'm in my upper-20s, which means that I will have been 6-feet under for over a century before they get to the World Series again.

I think I'm pretty safe in not having to fathom attending a Sox/Cubs World Series. :smile:

TommyJohn
07-09-2009, 07:10 PM
To make it to the World Series, the Cubs would have to win seven (7) playoff games. In one postseason.

In their 122 history (not counting 2009), they have never won more than six (6) games in one postseason.

You know I used to say the same thing about the White Sox: "For them to get to the World Series, they'd have to win as many postseason series as they have won in their entire history." So it isn't impossible.

chisoxfanatic
07-09-2009, 07:42 PM
You know I used to say the same thing about the White Sox: "For them to get to the World Series, they'd have to win as many postseason series as they have won in their entire history." So it isn't impossible.
They're THE CUBS!!! Yes, it is!!! They add new meaning to suckage! They DEFINE suckage! Something will always prevent it from happening.

kittle42
07-09-2009, 09:08 PM
Something will always prevent it from happening.

That's about as silly as believing in a Billy Goat curse.

Nellie_Fox
07-09-2009, 09:11 PM
I believe that as long as people pay to go the game, regardless of the product on the field...the cubs will struggle. So I think it's hurting the CubsStruggling hasn't hurt them for a very long time, has it? I keep hearing that the Cubs fans have finally wised up and are no longer willing to put up with losing, but they keep filling the place up.

Obviously I don't think one person going does a damn thing...but if you think one person going helps the Cubs perception, well then you're just ridiculousThe entire 40,000 person crowd was made up of single people. And I've seen a lot more than one Sox fan admit that they went to the game just in this thread.

ewokpelts
07-10-2009, 12:26 PM
i'd sell mine for 20 grand...each