PDA

View Full Version : Bullpen Sports Bar

chisoxfan4life
07-07-2009, 10:12 PM
My 21st Bday is coming up, and as a lifelong Sox fan I'm hoping to catch a game from the BP Sports bar this summer. Before going, I have a few questions:

- How much does it cost to enter?
- How early do I have to get there to ensure a spot on the tables outside?
- Would you recommend sitting there as opposed to the bleachers or in RF?

Thanks for any advice you have to offer!

dakuda
07-07-2009, 10:28 PM
My 21st Bday is coming up, and as a lifelong Sox fan I'm hoping to catch a game from the BP Sports bar this summer. Before going, I have a few questions:

- How much does it cost to enter?
- How early do I have to get there to ensure a spot on the tables outside?
- Would you recommend sitting there as opposed to the bleachers or in RF?

Thanks for any advice you have to offer!

Free entry into the bar.

Get there early for a table. Darn early.

Having table service is nice. Whether it is better is up to personal preference.

Gavin
07-07-2009, 11:13 PM
Have never had a hard time seeing some action simply standing behind the bullpen itself. The seats there seem to come and go at times.

But in the end, you're in a bar. I've really only been there when it was cold as hell outside and had to take a break from the weather. I prefer USCF, proper.

GoGoCrede
07-07-2009, 11:34 PM
Happy birthday in advance! I turned 21 earlier this year, and it's been a blast so far. :gulp::happybday

LoveYourSuit
07-07-2009, 11:43 PM
Bullpen Sports Bar sucks.

soxfan21
07-07-2009, 11:51 PM
Bullpen Sports Bar sucks.

I have to sort of agree with you. As posted before, it is a nice place to go if it is too cold/rainy/hot, but not really a good place to watch the game at. Too many drunks down there during the game. I guess if you're there to pick up girls, it's a nice place to go, but not a good place to enjoy a game at. Your better off just getting outfield seats, you get a better view at least rather than sitting at field level.

LoveYourSuit
07-08-2009, 12:02 AM
I have to sort of agree with you. As posted before, it is a nice place to go if it is too cold/rainy/hot, but not really a good place to watch the game at. Too many drunks down there during the game. I guess if you're there to pick up girls, it's a nice place to go, but not a good place to enjoy a game at. Your better off just getting outfield seats, you get a better view at least rather than sitting at field level.

Add the fact that Customer Service is the pissest of the poorest levels one can imagine..... I rather not spend $6 for a 16oz beer and get treated like **** and not even come close to enjoying the game.

You think the parking lot attendants are *******s? Wait until you see the clowns running this joint including security.

Zisk77
07-08-2009, 12:39 AM
Happy birthday in advance! I turned 21 earlier this year, and it's been a blast so far. :gulp::happybday

Enjoy it, 5 minutes from now you'll be 35.:angry:

MrT27
07-08-2009, 12:42 AM
I just can not watch a game in the Bullpen Sports bar unless I get one of the tables up top. I just don't like having to look thru a fence all game long. I do like going there after the game to have a few tho if I'm not already in there.

To answer your question for the good tables up top its either $15 or $30 a piece. If its youyr bday and I would spend the extra money and do that. You get table service and no lines at the bathrooms inside there.
When you get there all depends on what game you do to. A non weekend game against your normal teams (Twins, Indians, etc.) you won't have a problem getting a table. A weekend or a game against a bigger name opponent I'd get in line at the back gate 30 minutes before gates open then just go straight into the bar. And if its a special occasion like a bday I would recommend it over a regular outfield seat.

35th&Shields
07-08-2009, 10:53 AM

Way to rain on the kid's parade.

The Bull Pen Sports Bar is a lot of fun, especially before the game when you can watch the opposing team's starter warm-up. Obviously, if you can get one of the tables outside the bar, that's fun as well, but you'll have a great time having some beers (legally) in the outfield and on the concourse during the game. Bull Pen Sports Bar is also a lot of fun after the game.

LoveYourSuit
07-08-2009, 11:10 AM
Way to rain on the kid's parade.

The Bull Pen Sports Bar is a lot of fun, especially before the game when you can watch the opposing team's starter warm-up. Obviously, if you can get one of the tables outside the bar, that's fun as well, but you'll have a great time having some beers (legally) in the outfield and on the concourse during the game. Bull Pen Sports Bar is also a lot of fun after the game.

Really?

For the 25 minutes it stays open?

Add the lack of service with everyone packed in there desparately to grab one last beer before hitting the road?

I hope one day my dream is met of having a few establisments built outside the ballpark.

PS. For the kid turning 21, try to pick up some stadium club passes and go have a drink and meal up there.

chisoxfan4life
07-08-2009, 06:57 PM
Thanks for the advice everyone. Honestly, my opinion of fun compared to some of the people bashing the bar is probably different. I'm prepared to be ripped off with the drink prices, but if I get UD reserved tickets then just buy a table outside, it's the same as getting a lower deck seat plus you get waited on. Sounds cool to me. What could be better than a bar and the White Sox at the age of 21?

doublem23
07-08-2009, 07:32 PM
What could be better than a bar and the White Sox at the age of 21?

Strippers and cocaine.

skobabe8
07-08-2009, 09:10 PM
Thanks for the advice everyone. Honestly, my opinion of fun compared to some of the people bashing the bar is probably different. I'm prepared to be ripped off with the drink prices, but if I get UD reserved tickets then just buy a table outside, it's the same as getting a lower deck seat plus you get waited on. Sounds cool to me. What could be better than a bar and the White Sox at the age of 21?

I think you have the right mentality.

You'll enjoy it. The service at the tables is fine. The beers are no more of a ripoff than anywhere else in the park. The food is better. Plus, you can order a round of birthday shots and have them brought to you.

Law11
07-09-2009, 10:01 AM
Dude dont waste time in there DURING a game.. Unless the weather is bad.
Then it becomes a sweat box... Unless you get tickets for the tables outside its nothing but a bar.

ewokpelts
07-09-2009, 10:11 AM
There are TWO LEVELS of outdoor seating. The field level seats are free, but first come first served.

The upper level is $15 per person, with a guranteed spot. You buy those IN THE BULLPEN BAR DAY OF GAME.

soxfan43
07-09-2009, 10:16 AM
Some of the opinions here on the BP bar are hilarious. I don't think I'd ever watch a game there unless I had a table outside though. I did that once and had a great time. Good spot to watch, good food, and you get the service. But it's not a bad pre/post game spot. Especially post game if you take the train. Go have a beer while waiting for the train crowd to die down. I do agree with the suggestion of the stadium club. Went there for the first time during cubs/sox and it's a nice spot, good food and full bar. It worked out nicely that our actual seats were right near the entrance for the club so we could just run up there to use the bathroom and avoid the insane lines. But I definitely suggest trying to get there early and snagging a table at the bullpe bar if your Bday event happens on a gameday when its not a premier opponent.

BadBobbyJenks
07-09-2009, 10:28 AM
Strippers and cocaine.

p_v9RUE2nrw

Red Barchetta
07-09-2009, 11:57 AM
Some of the opinions here on the BP bar are hilarious. I don't think I'd ever watch a game there unless I had a table outside though. I did that once and had a great time. Good spot to watch, good food, and you get the service. But it's not a bad pre/post game spot. Especially post game if you take the train. Go have a beer while waiting for the train crowd to die down. I do agree with the suggestion of the stadium club. Went there for the first time during cubs/sox and it's a nice spot, good food and full bar. It worked out nicely that our actual seats were right near the entrance for the club so we could just run up there to use the bathroom and avoid the insane lines. But I definitely suggest trying to get there early and snagging a table at the bullpe bar if your Bday event happens on a gameday when its not a premier opponent.

Happy Birthday!

Second, I agree with the above post on the Bullpen Sports Bar. I sat at the tables once and it was nice, however no better IMO than hanging out near the fan deck, etc.

The other time I watched a game there, I realized I was at a ballpark and watching a game on TV. Why?!

I do like to stop in after a game to let the crowd and parking lot clear out.

Service IMO is the same as any crowded bar. I personally would much rather spend the money on good seats in the lower bowl.

Jim Shorts
07-09-2009, 12:21 PM

Wait a minute....

There's real talent that hangs out in the BPSB?

chisoxfanatic
07-09-2009, 12:34 PM
The place is functional, but I'm not a big fan of the whole "warehouse" feel it has. It could look a lot better.

Soxfanspcu11
07-10-2009, 01:47 PM
I LOOOOOOOVE the Bullpen Sports Bar!! Yes it may not be the "greatest" place in the stadium to watch the game but it is not bad and the atmosphere down there is always enjoyable.

Sitting outside is certainly the best but as other posters have said, you have to get there way early to do that unless (as I have learned) you get friendly with the ushers/security people that are standing there right by the entrance to go outside. If you chat it up with them, a lot of times they will just hand you a pass. Especially if it is in the middle to later innings of the game. It also does not hurt to have a good looking girl with you.:cool: Seriously though, if it is just me and one of my guy friends, it is a lot harder to get in there than it is when I am with one of my girlfriends (friends that are girls, no I am not hugh hefner with 36 girlfriends). I have yet to fully understand why that is? :scratch:

Anyway, to whomever said that the bar stays open only 25min after the game, I have no idea what you are talking about. Maybe you were at a game where they wanted to clear people out and not allow them to get too drunk. Perhaps a Sox/scrubs game, maybe a doubleheader? No clue but what I do know is that every time I have been there after a game, the place has stayed open for an hour give or take after the game.

Long story short, I would highly recommend the BSB. I have had nothing but fun down there since I turned 21 5 years ago. One of the coolest things that I have seen down there and you are not supposed to do this and you will get chased away pretty quickly normally but if you stand right behind the catcher who is catching the pitcher warming up in the pen, you can see the INCREDIBLE movement on the ball when they throw breaking stuff. There is that little window there that is right behind the catcher for both plates and as I said, the security people won't normally let you stand there and watch but if you can get away with it, even for a few seconds, it is AWESOME! Until I did that, I never really knew what major league hitters had to put up with when it came to breaking pitches. Since that experience, I have a whole new respect for major league hitters!

TomBradley72
07-10-2009, 02:54 PM
The place is functional, but I'm not a big fan of the whole "warehouse" feel it has. It could look a lot better.

I agree....I'd like some major improvements to the overall feel of the place...and I'd like to see it stay open a little longer after the game ends.

chisoxfanatic
07-10-2009, 03:17 PM
I agree....I'd like some major improvements to the overall feel of the place...and I'd like to see it stay open a little longer after the game ends.
No kidding! It's like they don't want you to stay in your seat to watch the game until the final out is recorded, because it seems they close down the place 15 minutes afterwards! That's unacceptable.

35th&Shields
07-12-2009, 12:57 PM
Really?

For the 25 minutes it stays open?

Add the lack of service with everyone packed in there desparately to grab one last beer before hitting the road? I hope one day my dream is met of having a few establisments built outside the ballpark.

PS. For the kid turning 21, try to pick up some stadium club passes and go have a drink and meal up there.

I think what time it closes varies. I was there about a month ago and I was there for a lot longer than 25 minutes. Maybe some days they are just more strict than others, but I know I have been there for more than 25 minutes. many years ago they used to sometimes do a post game show in the BPSB.

chisoxfanatic
07-12-2009, 01:50 PM
many years ago they used to sometimes do a post game show in the BPSB.
They still do.

Brian26
07-12-2009, 01:56 PM
They still do.

But it's not Dave Wills and Kris Kross.

chisoxfanatic
07-12-2009, 03:57 PM
I miss hearing "Awww shucks! You paid too much!" :(:

LoveYourSuit
07-12-2009, 04:03 PM

Dave Wils >>>>>> Chris Rongey.

I miss Dave Wils.

october23sp
07-12-2009, 05:06 PM
f2Xkpq-Jsyc??

DumpJerry
07-12-2009, 05:15 PM
They still do.
Nope. Jim Beam Club now. :angry:

kaufsox
07-13-2009, 02:12 PM
Dude dont waste time in there DURING a game.. Unless the weather is bad.
Then it becomes a sweat box... Unless you get tickets for the tables outside its nothing but a bar.

I would second this. When I've gotten a table I've really enjoyed it. As far as the service in question, both time I sat down there the service was great.

UChicagoHP
07-14-2009, 09:24 AM
Have fun kid, it is a decent place to chill with your friends, watch some baseball, and pick up women(if you're into that sort of thing. Enjoy your day!