Why would the Sox add another OF?

Rockabilly
07-07-2009, 10:49 PM
Why would the Sox add another OF?

hopefully they will cut Wise.

Rocky Soprano
07-07-2009, 10:50 PM
hopefully they will cut Wise.

And what will you do when TCQ comes back?

SoxGirl4Life
07-07-2009, 11:02 PM
Why?

munchman33
07-07-2009, 11:09 PM
Yum.

:rolling:

Flight #24
07-07-2009, 11:11 PM
http://photos1.blogger.com/x/blogger/7577/1975/1600/936442/prologue%202of3.jpg

cws05champ
07-07-2009, 11:15 PM
http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/orioles/bal-osnotes0707,0,5313097.story
Why? This would make no sense...and I still believe Josh has a bit more value than Pie.

DSpivack
07-07-2009, 11:27 PM
Why? This would make no sense...and I still believe Josh has a bit more value than Pie.

All it said was that the O's contacted KW about it, not that there was any interest by the Sox.

As much as I'd like a CF, I don't think Pie the answer.

voodoochile
07-07-2009, 11:27 PM

Well it's not uncommon for teams to exchange failed prospects who might just need a change of scenery.

As to why the Sox would consider it, I don't know that they would, but clearly Fields has no future with the team and Pie is still only 24 and just 2 years removed from posting a .973 OPS at AAA. He was a pretty hot prospect at one time and might still turn things around. At the least he would be a younger backup OF with more offensive upside than Wise or BA.

Might be worth a gamble. I don't know if he has any options left though.

Certainly it would be a better 5th OF option than Wise and at the moment equal to BA offensively.

tm1119
07-07-2009, 11:28 PM
I wouldnt be opposed to this deal actually. Really not sure if Pie is ever going to turn into anything at this point, but is anybody sure about Fields at this point? Its trading our failed prospect for someone elses.

EuroSox35
07-07-2009, 11:43 PM
I don't really see the point. Fields showed a lot at the beginning of the season and if he can get back to anywhere to close to that he'd be a good player to have. He's a young player, if he gets more playing time I think he could come out of it and personally, I'd like to see him back at 3rd with Beckham going to his natural position, but that doesn't look likely right now

Tragg
07-08-2009, 12:50 AM
Well it's not uncommon for teams to exchange failed prospects who might just need a change of scenery.

As to why the Sox would consider it, I don't know that they would, but clearly Fields has no future with the team and Pie is still only 24 and just 2 years removed from posting a .973 OPS at AAA. He was a pretty hot prospect at one time and might still turn things around. At the least he would be a younger backup OF with more offensive upside than Wise or BA.

Might be worth a gamble. I don't know if he has any options left though.

Certainly it would be a better 5th OF option than Wise and at the moment equal to BA offensively.
Isn't that a little strong?
As for PIe, he's really shown nothing offensively in 3 years and 2 teams. Do you see hitting talent in Pie? I get the theory - one failed prospect for another. But Fields has shown power (23 homers in half a season) - Pie has never shown a thing (his obp this year and career is below .300). Even Fields has a .312 obp this year (and 6 homers).

When we traded for Paul Konerko, his numbers weren't that dissimilar from Fields' this year. But we didn't give up a Pie - we gave up Mike Cameron who had had one really good year with the Sox. That's one of my favorite trades ever because it was a win-win par excellence. I think we should get someone who's shown at least something, which PIe really hasn't.

The Immigrant
07-08-2009, 01:03 AM
As to why the Sox would consider it, I don't know that they would, but clearly Fields has no future with the team...

That's just silly. He's a fine backup for the corner infield spots and still has a high ceiling. Clearly he's a better, and cheaper, option than Betemit.

sullythered
07-08-2009, 01:05 AM
As for PIe, he's really shown nothing offensively in 3 years and 2 teams. Do you see hitting talent in Pie? I get the theory - one failed prospect for another. But Fields has shown power (23 homers in half a season) - Pie has never shown a thing (his obp this year and career is below .300). Even Fields has a .312 obp this year (and 6 homers).

When we traded for Paul Konerko, his numbers weren't that dissimilar from Fields' this year. But we didn't give up a Pie - we gave up Mike Cameron who had had one really good year with the Sox. That's one of my favorite trades ever because it was a win-win par excellence. I think we should get someone who's shown at least something, which PIe really hasn't.
Woa, there. Paulie was 22 when we got him, not 26. And He had already had a fantastic year in AA, and an absolutely MASSIVE year in AAA. The two are not comparable players.

BNLSox
07-08-2009, 01:28 AM
I hope Fields helps us get more Pie! We haven't had Pie since 2005 and my zombie like desire for more Pie is taking over.

California Sox
07-08-2009, 01:38 AM
I can see why Baltimore would like this trade. Fields has had some success in the majors. What would Pie do for us? He wouldn't play because Pods will be the CF when TCQ comes back and BA will be the defensive replacement.

Personally, I have never been a Pie supporter. He has a one-groove swing with so many holes. Maybe if he got traded to Texas Jaramillo could fix him, but I'd rather have JorDanks and Jared Mitchell as my athletic LH centerfielders of the future than clutter things up with Pie.

Konerko05
07-08-2009, 01:39 AM
What good is pie without Toby Hall?

I guess that joke could have two meanings.

soxnut1018
07-08-2009, 06:11 AM
It better not be cherry.

cws05champ
07-08-2009, 09:59 AM
Plus, we just picked up a similar player in Norris Hopper in the Miller trade.

voodoochile
07-08-2009, 09:59 AM

I agree with all of this in theory, and like I said, I don't know if the Sox would be interested or not. They already have a plethora of poor hitting OF'ers. I do notice a slight upward trend in Pie's numbers and he's been hot recently. My only thought is he still might catch fire and start posting at least a league average OPS. I really don't know anything about his defensive abilities, so I won't comment on them.

I don't think Fields is in the Sox long term plans and that was what I was trying to convey. Maybe he can become productive with lots of AB, but he's going to be a 1B/DH type at best and at least on the Sox that position should be a LHH because all the other middle of the order bats they have are RH. So that's why I say he clearly doesn't fit. Add in the fact the Sox have given away his old position to a kid who is learning it on the fly and the fact that PK is having a heck of a year and Fields isn't going to see much PT here.

ChiSoxFan81
07-08-2009, 11:16 AM
Depends what the offer is. French silk would be a valued addition. Lemon meringue has been on the decline, I'd stay away.

Jerome
07-10-2009, 02:17 AM
Coop'll fix him

GoGoCrede
07-10-2009, 02:36 AM
It better not be cherry.

Agreed, apple has more upside.

Tragg
07-10-2009, 09:05 AM
I

I don't think Fields is in the Sox long term plans and that was what I was trying to convey.

ANDERSON for PIE...that's much closer to an even trade.

NLaloosh
07-10-2009, 11:56 AM
I'm not sure what to do with Fields or what exactly his value is but........I'm pretty darn sure that Felix Pie is a worthless bust.

PhillipsBubba
07-10-2009, 02:24 PM
The last thing we need is another back-up OF that can't hit...:scratch: