PDA

View Full Version : Good riddance, DumpDome

thomas35forever
07-07-2009, 10:30 PM
http://www.dailyherald.com/story/?id=305058
Excellent read that all White Sox fans can agree with.

MarkZ35
07-07-2009, 10:40 PM
I won't miss the dome that's for sure but why didn't they decide to make a retractable roof similar to Milwaukee? Over/Under How many games get snowed or iced next year? 3

Frater Perdurabo
07-07-2009, 10:45 PM
Even my Twins fan brother-in-law admits its a terrible place to watch a baseball game.

tstrike2000
07-07-2009, 11:32 PM
Football at the dumpdome...ehh but baseball? Fred Lynn may have been right in that article when he said, "It's the worst place ever." The day they implode that piece of crap can't come too soon.

doublem23
07-07-2009, 11:35 PM
I won't miss the dome that's for sure but why didn't they decide to make a retractable roof similar to Milwaukee? Over/Under How many games get snowed or iced next year? 3

Well, I think the official reason they didn't put a dome in is because of cost, but hopefully someone had the balls to just say that all domed stadiums, regardless if they retract or not, are crappy.

Nellie Fox can attest to this, I believe, but a newspaper in Minnesota has been keeping track of how many games would have been lost to weather this year if the Twins were already playing outdoors. Total to year? 0.

MarkZ35
07-07-2009, 11:59 PM
Nellie Fox can attest to this, I believe, but a newspaper in Minnesota has been keeping track of how many games would have been lost to weather this year if the Twins were already playing outdoors. Total to year? 0.
Yea but this is one season. I bet there will be some seasons that will have many snowed out games in April.

TDog
07-07-2009, 11:59 PM

As a kid, I went to some games in old Metropolitan Stadium. (They built a shopping mall over it.) I thought it was a great ballpark. I think Milwaukee would have had a great ballpark to replace County Stadium if they hadn't built one with a retractable roof.

jabrch
07-08-2009, 12:11 AM
Yea but this is one season. I bet there will be some seasons that will have many snowed out games in April.

And it still wouldn't be worth having to play in a ****ty dome stadium...even if they could have afforded it - which they could not.

doublem23
07-08-2009, 12:14 AM

It just takes some wind out of the sails of the argument that the Twins will never be able to play a home game in April for the rest of history.

Have you ever met people from Minnesota, anyway? They love cold. They're crazy.

The park will be much nicer without a dome. Domes suck.

DSpivack
07-08-2009, 12:43 AM
It just takes some wind out of the sails of the argument that the Twins will never be able to play a home game in April for the rest of history.

Unlike many of the recent new stadiums, I do really like the design of Target Field. That said, I'll wait for it to at least open before making any judgments.

Gavin
07-08-2009, 01:00 AM

Agree 100%. Hate, hate, hate the argument that snow happens, man, ain't no baseball!!!!!!!! in April, in Minnesota.

The weather sucks in Chicago in April, too. What's a 6 degree difference?*

*Have no idea what the degree difference really is

DSpivack
07-08-2009, 01:04 AM
Agree 100%. Hate, hate, hate the argument that snow happens, man, ain't no baseball!!!!!!!! in April, in Minnesota.

The weather sucks in Chicago in April, too. What's a 6 degree difference?*

*Have no idea what the degree difference really is

I'm a dork, so I looked it up [on wiki].

In April, Chicago averages a high of 59 and a low 40, Minneapolis 57 and 36.

samurai_sox
07-08-2009, 02:00 AM
They should let us Sox fans tear it down, we'll have it down in 1 hour tops! :devil:

Oblong
07-08-2009, 07:50 AM
MN played outside for 20 years before the Dome so I'm sure they'll be ok. No worse than Chicago or Cleveland which seems to always have very bad weather lingering into May.

jdm2662
07-08-2009, 09:21 AM
Let's not forget, we get that wonderful lake breeze in April that makes it ten degrees colder by the ball park than anywhere else. Minnesota actually had a decent spring, unlike here.

ChiSoxFan81
07-08-2009, 11:12 AM
So many bad memories of that place. I only made it to one game up there, and it wasn't even a Sox game. Terrible place to watch a game. Didn't really have to do with the stadium, but I'll never forget Freddy's 1-hit 1-0 loss up there. It was nice to celebrate there in 2000 though.

ChiSoxGirl
07-08-2009, 12:45 PM
Let's not forget, we get that wonderful lake breeze in April that makes it ten degrees colder by the ball park than anywhere else. Minnesota actually had a decent spring, unlike here.

...and May and June, and sometimes even [GULP] July! :o: Quite frankly, this spring and summer have royally sucked. I've yet to go to a Sox game when I wasn't dressed in layers, and that included a game in mid-June. The only time I wasn't cold watching the Sox was down in Tampa in April!

:hijacked:

doublem23
07-08-2009, 01:12 PM
...and May and June, and sometimes even [GULP] July! :o: Quite frankly, this spring and summer have royally sucked.

My electricity bills suggest otherwise.

chisoxfanatic
07-08-2009, 01:27 PM
My electricity bills suggest otherwise.
Same here! I usually am paying at least $100 a month around this time of year! My electric bill last month was about 2/3 that! I'm loving not having to turn on my a/c. And it's still warm enough to be comfortable in shorts, flip-flops, and opening the windows.

Jerome
07-08-2009, 01:33 PM
LOL I forgot about Joe "Cy" Mays.

It will be nice when that team has to play in a real ball park and not a pinball machine. I don't think there is a home field advantage in MLB with as much of an impact as the Dome.