PDA

View Full Version : Buehrle Talks Retirement Again

rowand33
07-07-2009, 03:38 PM
http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news?slug=jp-buehrle070609&prov=yhoo&type=lgns

Buehrle says that he might hang it up after his current contract ends. Also says that he wouldn't consider playing somewhere other than Chicago or St. Louis.

Mark comes off as a pretty good guy in the article, and while I hope he's with the Sox for 300 wins, it's refreshingly different to hear an athlete say things like "what's another couple million?" and talk about how he wants to see his kids grow up.

GregO23
07-07-2009, 03:46 PM
We should let him go back to Chicago for birthdays and special occasions like this. We need Buehrle, he is crucial for all future success.

BleacherBandit
07-07-2009, 03:46 PM
I hope the Sox retain him until his contract ends. It would hurt to see him in another uniform, much like it did with Frank Thomas.

He's doing a good thing for his children, but I guess I'm impartial about that descision. Many players who played many more years than he's talking about playing are good family men.

GoGoCrede
07-07-2009, 03:50 PM
He's got his priorities in order. Gotta respect a man like that. He knows what true wealth is. I am proud that he is our ace.

JohnTucker0814
07-07-2009, 03:53 PM
Seriously, how can you not like Buehrle?

theoakwoody
07-07-2009, 03:55 PM
http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news?slug=jp-buehrle070609&prov=yhoo&type=lgns

Mark comes off as a pretty good guy in the article, and while I hope he's with the Sox for 300 wins...

He'd have to avg. 16 wins over the next 10 seasons to win 300. I think he can do it, it's not like he's going to throw out his arm.

bridgeportcopper
07-07-2009, 04:04 PM
I hope the Sox retain him until his contract ends. It would hurt to see him in another uniform, much like it did with Frank Thomas.

He's doing a good thing for his children, but I guess I'm impartial about that descision. Many players who played many more years than he's talking about playing are good family men.

Good family men....like Steve McNair?? Wasn't that also Michael Jordan's excuse for retiring also "to see his kids grow up" and then he went to Birmingham, and Washington DC and then Charlotte, and how has that family situation worked out. I think there is a lot more of that type of douchebaggery going on in pro sports than could be imagined. If Mark decides to hang 'em up to spend time with his kids, God bless him. He is my favorite current white Sox player, but there is only so much money you need to make, and it will never replace seeing your kids grow up. Kudos to MB!

Dibbs
07-07-2009, 04:42 PM
I hope this retirement talk is not the case. Mark is my favorite player since Frank left. I am surprised there aren't more guys like Buehrle regarding money. Seriously, what is the big difference between $12 or $15 mil. You are still rich, and it helps the team bring in other players.

RedHeadPaleHoser
07-07-2009, 04:52 PM
That article makes me smile. Gotta respect someone who knows who he is and what he wants. :D:

WhiteSox5187
07-07-2009, 05:28 PM
Unlike other athletes who I've liked, Buerhle just seems so normal. he really does seem like the guy who knows he's living the dream and is doing exactly what everyone else would be doing if they were a big league pitcher: having fun.

RedPinStripes
07-08-2009, 08:10 PM
Good article. Eventhough this team needs him years down the road, I can respect anyone who wants to be a family man, smart with money, and not greedy.

Makes me sick when pro athletes are retired for 5 years and they're selling championship rings online because they blew millions of dollars.

Good luck Mark!

ShoelessJoeS
07-08-2009, 08:57 PM
What can you say?? Mark Buehrle is just a stand up guy.

I hope he's around for another decade; but I certainly can't be mad if he isn't.

Oblong
07-08-2009, 09:10 PM
That's one thing that baseball players miss out more than other pro athletes. Family time. Like most fans I dreamed of being an MLB player but there's times during the summer where I'm doing something with my family and I think "You know, if I made the majors I'd not be here right now." Think about it, from February to October those guys are pretty much gone all the time. Even when they are at home they don't get much time with the family. They probably leave for the park around 3, get home about midnight. And if they do not live year round in their home city and their kids are school aged then they probably don't see them in April, May or September. I think that's why so many baseball players live in the south or out west. At least during the off season they can do stuff outside and simple things like walk their kids to school.

chisoxfanatic
07-08-2009, 09:18 PM
I'll be sad the day he calls it quits, but he has given us so many great moments to think back on. From the no-hitter to hitting a home run to getting a save in the World Series.

He has been one of the best pitchers ever to grace Chicago's south side.

jabrch
07-08-2009, 09:21 PM
He'd have to avg. 16 wins over the next 10 seasons to win 300. I think he can do it, it's not like he's going to throw out his arm.

That would be amazing durability....

Marqhead
07-08-2009, 09:40 PM
I wonder if he'd be open to a Clemens type deal later in his career. Half a season for a prorated amount.

I don't know how successful that would be, but half a season of Buehrle would be better than no Buehrle.

Either way he's my second favorite Sox player, behind only the Big Hurt and I wish him the best.

chisoxfanatic
07-08-2009, 09:42 PM
Either way he's my second favorite Sox player, behind only the Big Hurt and I wish him the best.
Yea, I don't think there's many people who rank him very low on their list of Sox players. Buehrle's my 4th all-time behind Robin, Frank, and Paulie.

doublem23
07-08-2009, 09:43 PM
That would be amazing durability....

Considering he's never been on the DL in his career, if there's anyone who can do it, its Buehrle.

soxfanreggie
07-09-2009, 07:23 AM
I sure hope we can get him to sign one more contract, even if we have to give him some Roger Clemens-type treatment. I wonder if there's more they can do to allow him to see his family more (afford them top-notch travel on the road, suites for home games, allow him some time to go back to the StL area to see them a bit). While I would normally hesitate to give someone that type of treatment, MB is too valuable a commodity right now for us.