PDA

View Full Version : Ryan Braun in hot water with Doug Melvin

It's Time
07-07-2009, 12:20 PM
I have to side with Melvin here. Why would Braun throw his teammates under the bus like that? I had no idea he even said this until it was mentioned on ESPN radio.

What an ass.

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20090707&content_id=5736354&vkey=news_mlb&fext=.jsp&c_id=mlb

BleacherBandit
07-07-2009, 12:24 PM
He's only putting himself in an uncomfortable position.

LoveYourSuit
07-07-2009, 12:29 PM
I don't disagree with Braun.

It sucks that he went public.

tstrike2000
07-07-2009, 12:33 PM
I don't disagree with Braun.
It sucks that he went public.

True, he's probably right, but it would've been best had he just said the Cubs were the better team this series and left it at that. He just opens himself up for more scrutiny with his comments. It's good he didn't mention anything about Fielder or Fielder would've pushed him to the bench and slapped him.

It's Time
07-07-2009, 12:36 PM
True, he's probably right, but it would've been best had he just said the Cubs were the better team this series and left it at that. He just opens himself up for more scrutiny with his comments. It's good he didn't mention anything about Fielder or Fielder would've pushed him to the bench and slapped him.

Exactly. As soon as he goes in a slump, the pitching staff will say: "Well, if Braun didn't go 0-4 for the last 3 games, we would have won 2 of them".

Braun's wrong here.

Bobby Thigpen
07-07-2009, 12:47 PM
I don't know about taking it public, but he's right with his assessment of the team.

Maybe he's already approached management and just keeps getting shunned away. Maybe he felt this was his only avenue to get something done.

People on here want to complain about the Sox going cheap, but what did the Brewers do? Letting Sabathia and Sheets walk doesn't send a real strong message to the youngest, maybe most important, star on your team.

KenBerryGrab
07-07-2009, 12:47 PM
You never call out your teammates in public.

munchman33
07-07-2009, 01:01 PM
I see no problem with this. He didn't single out one player. The Brewers problems are in the rotation. It's obvious, and it needs to be addressed if they're going to be competitive all season. If the indication is the front office doesn't plan to do something about it, good for him for going public. I wouldn't want to be on a low payroll team not completely committed to being competitive either.

TomBradley72
07-07-2009, 01:11 PM
He simply stated the obvious...and it's been obvious since the off season...he didn't call out individuals...he simply addressed starting pitching overall...like addressing overall offense, overall team speed, overall defense, etc. I could see why the GM would be pissed...because that's the real guy he's calling out, but I don't get the "outrage".

As far as who he might be calling out..some of the suspects would include:David Bush (5.51 ERA in 14 starts), Manny Parra (7.52 ERA in 13 starts), Mike Burns (6.88 ERA in 3 starts) or Mike McClurg (12.27 ERA in 2 starts)..for these ERA's in the National League, calling out is deserved...especially for Melvin.

JB98
07-07-2009, 01:19 PM
Braun is correct in his comments. Truth hurts sometimes.

WisSoxFan
07-07-2009, 01:25 PM
I think Melvin's out of line calling out the face of the franchise who happens to be correct. Living among Brewer fans they seem to feel the same way. I will bet that Braun gets a loud ovation when he steps into the box the first time tonight.

rowand33
07-07-2009, 01:32 PM
It's not like he said "David Bush sucks."

He did not call out his teammates; he called out the front office.

LoveYourSuit
07-07-2009, 01:37 PM

Melvin is on the offensive because Braun's comments threw him under the Bus more than he did his teammates.

This is Melvin's mess.

getonbckthr
07-07-2009, 02:03 PM
Melvin I dare you to trade Braun. On the other hand i'm sure Kenny Williams would have no problem accepting your problem 90 miles south.

LoveYourSuit
07-07-2009, 02:31 PM
It's not like he said "David Bush sucks."

He did not call out his teammates; he called out the front office.

It's no different than D Wade calling out his team and management recently when asked if he would sign an extensiton with the Miami Heat.

MarkZ35
07-07-2009, 07:40 PM
I don't think either side is completely wrong here. Besides last year, the Brewers haven't made the post season in over 25 years so how is that much different than when some of the Pirates players recently went public. I just don't understand why this is that big of a deal. What would you rather, your players just make their money and not care about the team or organization? I for one would much rather my players question the organization because they care about winning even if it is in public.

thomas35forever
07-07-2009, 09:39 PM
I agree with Braun here. The NL Central is a hellhole for pitchers. Melvin must not have the patience with team personnel that KW does with Ozzie.

Southsider101
07-07-2009, 09:48 PM

After watching the Brewers/Sox series at Miller Park last month, I agree with Braun. The Brewers starting pitching is a mess and wouldn't hold up in the AL Central.

ComiskeyBrewer
07-07-2009, 11:00 PM
After watching the Brewers/Sox series at Miller Park last month, I agree with Braun. The Brewers starting pitching is a mess and wouldn't hold up in the AL Central.

Right or wrong, a three game series is a horrible way to judge a pitching staff.

doublem23
07-07-2009, 11:45 PM
He's only putting himself in an uncomfortable position.

Like the back of a Volkswagen?

goofymsfan
07-08-2009, 05:46 AM
Anybody want to correct the title of the thread from "Bob" Melvin to "Doug" Melvin.

AZChiSoxFan
07-13-2009, 03:41 PM
I have to side with Melvin here. Why would Braun throw his teammates under the bus like that? I had no idea he even said this until it was mentioned on ESPN radio.

What an ass.

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20090707&content_id=5736354&vkey=news_mlb&fext=.jsp&c_id=mlb

ummmm.....I think you mean DOUG Melvin. I was wondering how Braun could be in hot water with the D-backs, out of work, former manager.

spawn
07-13-2009, 03:44 PM
Anybody want to correct the title of the thread from "Bob" Melvin to "Doug" Melvin.
Done.

WhiteSoxFTW
07-14-2009, 10:52 AM
It's no different than D Wade calling out his team and management recently when asked if he would sign an extensiton with the Miami Heat.

Comments like what Braun said are less acceptable in baseball than they are in basketball.

Granted, I agree with what he said and the offense is carrying the team. Melvin deserves to be thrown under the bus.

soxfanreggie
07-14-2009, 11:45 AM
I can understand how frustrating things can be when the team is struggling in some aspect. It has got to be hard for some players to always maintain a silence or a "go team" attitude all the time. There is a delicate balance between the truth and the best way to approach a situation as to not hurt people's feelings.

There are certain employees where I work that the "straight up" truth method will not work. There are others that want to hear things "straight up". I have had no problem saying to my boss that we need more staff in a certain area or better-producing staff; however, I do that in private and not in department-wide staff meetings.

kobo
07-14-2009, 11:45 AM
Nicely played! :thumbsup:

UChicagoHP
07-14-2009, 12:56 PM
From Braun...

"Their starting pitching is a lot better than ours,"

"They threw the ball a lot better than our starters did, and they swung the bats better than we did as well. Clearly, they were the better team. It's nice to get one win, but they clearly outperformed us in this series."

"I know [Melvin] is trying to make our ballclub better. I know he recognizes the importance of making a move and making it soon. But at the same time, I think everybody's recognized there's a lot of teams that are still in the race."
"That being said, it would be nice to make a move. It would be nice to do something to help us out for the time being. The sooner we do it, the better."

At some point, super-stars(like Braun) have more "power" or "pull" or whatever you want to call it, than many of the higher-ups within an organization. What Braun said isn't exactly a slap in the face to Melvin, but it does add some pressure to his job. If a stud like Braun doesn't think the front office doing all it can to make the club better, it doesn't hurt to take those feelings public. In the end, the owner will side with the stud, or the stud who the owner wants to keep in Milwaukee for ten+ years. Basically, Braun is putting some pressure on Melvin, and Melvin doesn't appreciate it. IMO, Braun is doing to the right thing...

WhiteSoxFTW
07-14-2009, 03:10 PM

Great movie quote. :D: