PDA

View Full Version : This is how far some former MLBers have fallen

Parrothead
07-07-2009, 07:18 AM
July 6, 2009 - The Golden Baseball League announced today that the 2009 All-Star selections have been made.

"This game should be a very good showcase for the top players in the league," said GBL Commissioner Kevin Outcalt. "We have already sold 11 player contracts to major league teams this year, and the talented players continue to select the GBL. This will be a fun game for the fans as they watch major leaguers Jose Lima, Jim Rushford, Emiliano Fruto, Eude Brito, Bartolome Fortunato, Jason Pearson, and Lorenzo Barcelo mixed in with younger players just beginning to make a name for themselves."

eastchicagosoxfan
07-07-2009, 07:35 AM
I wonder if Mickey Rivers is there?

http://www.mickeyrivers.com/quotes_baseball.shtml

TDog
07-07-2009, 11:45 AM
July 6, 2009 - The Golden Baseball League announced today that the 2009 All-Star selections have been made.

"This game should be a very good showcase for the top players in the league," said GBL Commissioner Kevin Outcalt. "We have already sold 11 player contracts to major league teams this year, and the talented players continue to select the GBL. This will be a fun game for the fans as they watch major leaguers Jose Lima, Jim Rushford, Emiliano Fruto, Eude Brito, Bartolome Fortunato, Jason Pearson, and Lorenzo Barcelo mixed in with younger players just beginning to make a name for themselves."

Lorenzo Barcelo has had arm problems, and he is hanging on to professional baseball with the Tucson Toros, working out in the facilities where he worked out in the winter and spring when he was labeled a future star pitcher with the White Sox. Now, though, he has to deal with bus rides to places like Yuma. I'm happy to see him still playing baseball, but I doubt the Toros are going to be selling his contract to a major league team. His ERA has been over 4.

The Golden Baseball League makes money from selling players to the majors. It gives people who weren't noticed by scouts a chance to prove themselves. They do things with the community and make money on fun apparel. I love the Yuma Scorpions' "If you can't stand the heat stay out of our house" T shirts with the team logo, but this year the big T-shirt is "Feel the heat." It's a fun league, and I'm happy to see it's giving Lorenzo Barcelo a chance to stay in baseball.

The Modesto Nuts, with their mascots, Al Almond and Wally Walnut, who have approached me in public, are fun, too. Like baseball in general, minor league baseball should be fun.

eriqjaffe
07-07-2009, 11:48 AM
It's Lima Time!

jackbrohamer
07-07-2009, 01:14 PM
Lorenzo Barcelo has had arm problems, and he is hanging on to professional baseball with the Tucson Toros, working out in the facilities where he worked out in the winter and spring when he was labeled a future star pitcher with the White Sox. Now, though, he has to deal with bus rides to places like Yuma. I'm happy to see him still playing baseball, but I doubt the Toros are going to be selling his contract to a major league team. His ERA has been over 4.

Agreed, he has been hanging on for a long time now. Hard to believe he has been gone for 7 years. He was really a valuable part of the 2000 White Sox division-winning team; he was almost like a right-handed version of Buehrle out of the bullpen that year.

Parrothead
07-10-2009, 07:32 AM

The Golden Baseball League makes money from selling players to the majors. It gives people who weren't noticed by scouts a chance to prove themselves. They do things with the community and make money on fun apparel. I love the Yuma Scorpions' "If you can't stand the heat stay out of our house" T shirts with the team logo, but this year the big T-shirt is "Feel the heat." It's a fun league, and I'm happy to see it's giving Lorenzo Barcelo a chance to stay in baseball.

The Modesto Nuts, with their mascots, Al Almond and Wally Walnut, who have approached me in public, are fun, too. Like baseball in general, minor league baseball should be fun.

Don't get me wrong, I like the minors, both independent (Northern and Frontier Leagues) and affliated and have been to many games. What I was saying why hang on in those leagues especially if you are older and most likely not make your way back to the Majors.

DrCrawdad
07-10-2009, 08:20 AM
You missed one other All-Star...

http://www.pointstreak.com/baseball/photos/p3197.jpg
P: Kris Honel (Edmonton) (http://www.pointstreak.com/baseball/player.html?playerid=3197&seasonid=130)

eriqjaffe
07-10-2009, 09:33 AM
What I was saying why hang on in those leagues especially if you are older and most likely not make your way back to the Majors.Because you love playing baseball?

Big D
07-10-2009, 11:16 AM
Don't get me wrong, I like the minors, both independent (Northern and Frontier Leagues) and affliated and have been to many games. What I was saying why hang on in those leagues especially if you are older and most likely not make your way back to the Majors.

Because then you have to go out and get a real job (except maybe for someone like Lima, who actually made good money for a time in the big leagues). Why go out and get a 9-5 job if you can play ball for a few more years?

voodoochile
07-10-2009, 11:27 AM
Because you love playing baseball?

And because making 40K or whatever a year to play baseball beats making less to do something harder...

downstairs
07-10-2009, 11:47 AM
And because making 40K or whatever a year to play baseball beats making less to do something harder...

As well, you can act as a player/coach for some of the younger players. If you can't get a real coaching job, and that's what you want to do after retirement- its a good start.

doublem23
07-10-2009, 11:50 AM

Boy, I sincerely doubt a lot of those players in those independent minor leagues are making 40K.

CHISOXFAN13
07-10-2009, 11:57 AM
Boy, I sincerely doubt a lot of those players in those independent minor leagues are making 40K.

You are definitely right. I heard the salary for Thunderbolts players is about $800 a month.

Taliesinrk
07-10-2009, 12:22 PM
Yeah... Our college team shared a stadium with a Frontier League team, and I'm not sure anyone affiliated with the league was making $40K. We're talking about hundreds/month for absolutely no more than 5 months.

Parrothead
07-10-2009, 01:42 PM
You are definitely right. I heard the salary for Thunderbolts players is about $800 a month.

from what I hear...

Frontier League: each team has a salary cap of $60,000 and the league minimum is set at $600 per month.

Northern League: players are paid monthly from $800 (for rookies) to $3000 (for veterans) --these are approximations and can change based upon the manager's discretion. The are only paid during the season (May -September). The league also has a salary cap of $105,000 for the entire season or roughly $25-$30,000 dollars per month.

Golden League: Depending on experience and/or talent players' salaries generally range from $1,000 to $3,000 and higher per month

Based upon this I would think I would not want to risk permanent injury and try to get into coaching or running camps at some level, if I missed baseball that much.

michned
07-10-2009, 08:16 PM

Agreed, the Tucson Toros are solid community citizens down here and the games are inexpensive and fun. The Toros owner is the same guy who sold the Sidewinders AAA team that moved to Reno, but he really tried to make a go of AAA baseball at Godforsaken Electric Park but he was hemorrhaging money. The Toros manager is Former Jays manager Tim Johnson and his coaches are Pete LaCock and Ed Vosberg.