PDA

View Full Version : What has happened to the Atlanta Braves?

Viva Medias B's
07-06-2009, 07:06 PM
I used to remember watching Atlanta Braves baseball on TBS back in the day when they were aboslutely horrible. The Braves were a perennial doormat playing in front of sparse crowds at Atlanta-Fulton County Stadium. Then all of the sudden, in 1991, the Braves went from worst to first and won the NL Pennant. 1991 was the first of fourteen consecutive divisional titles. While the Braves managed to win one World Series in that span (1995), it was an era of otherwise complete dominance in Hotlanta.

Now, the Braves have become shadows of their former selves. Tonight's Braves game at Wrigley Field (so far, as of 7:05 p.m.) is already a good exhibition of how Atlanta has virtually returned to its pre-1991 days. What do you think is the reason the Braves finally ran out of gas?

doublem23
07-06-2009, 07:08 PM
What do you think is the reason the Braves finally ran out of gas?

They don't have any good players any more.

Craig Grebeck
07-06-2009, 07:09 PM
The loss of John Schuerholz as GM.

And, having read his book, I think he's a total jackass, but a hell of a GM.

Javy's having a very good season for them, though.

Huisj
07-06-2009, 07:25 PM
Their long long run was based on great pitching and decent hitting. Once the core of that pitching got old and moved on, it seems like they tried to piece things together and retool to stay sort of competitive, and their team gradually turned into kind of the hodge-podge of older mid-level free agents, and developing players who are sometimes decent but not really special.

Then never went the full rebuilding route, nor did they go the full retooling by good FA signings route, and the result has been mediocre team.

asindc
07-06-2009, 07:29 PM
Their long long run was based on great pitching and decent hitting. Once the core of that pitching got old and moved on, it seems like they tried to piece things together and retool to stay sort of competitive, and their team gradually turned into kind of the hodge-podge of older mid-level free agents, and developing players who are sometimes decent but not really special.

Then never went the full rebuilding route, nor did they go the full retooling by good FA signings route, and the result has been mediocre team.

Related to that is their amazing good fortune of their starters staying remarkably healthy during that run, despite their annual appearances in the playoffs.

soxfan21
07-06-2009, 07:53 PM
They don't have Leo Mazzone anymore.

WhiteSox5187
07-06-2009, 08:10 PM

Javy's having a very good season for them, though.

Javy having a good season on a bad team, who woulda thought?

DSpivack
07-06-2009, 11:01 PM
It's not like they've had some downfall to become horrible. Their amazing, unprecedented run ended, and now they've become a seemingly mediocre franchise, as are most MLB teams.

goon
07-07-2009, 07:39 AM

Yeah, EXACTLY. His short stint with the White Sox provided one great season when the Sox weren't even close to contention and in '06/'08 when the Sox needed him he let everyone down.

We should have never traded him! Bull****.

goon
07-07-2009, 07:40 AM
What do you think is the reason the Braves finally ran out of gas?

Probably more competition within the division.

Dibbs
07-07-2009, 08:02 AM
I think it has something to do with that darn aging process. They don't have HOFs Tom Glavine, Greg Maddux and John Smoltz anymore.

khan
07-07-2009, 08:45 AM

I tend to doubt The Legend of Leo Mazzone, given his time with Baltimore.

PKalltheway
07-07-2009, 09:25 AM

I think you hit the nail on the head. This team doesn't have an identity. Are they trying to go young, or are they trying to acquire experienced veterans to make another playoff push? I can't tell if this is supposed to be a young team with a lot of talent, or a veteran team. Also, like you said, that ambiguity kind of creates an awkward mix of players, which is just enough to be a mediocre team.

VenturaFan23
07-07-2009, 09:54 AM

Yeah if he's having a good season on your team, you're in trouble.

The Immigrant
07-07-2009, 11:35 AM
They can't hit their way out of a paper bag and are wasting a lot of good pitching.

getonbckthr
07-07-2009, 12:11 PM
-Signing of aging fast Garrett Anderson
- Relying on Jeff Franceur year after year.
Thats a start for this season at least.

JB98
07-07-2009, 12:23 PM
I think it has something to do with that darn aging process. They don't have HOFs Tom Glavine, Greg Maddux and John Smoltz anymore.

Their pitching is not real bad, though. Lowe, Vazquez, Jurrjens, this Hansen kid they called up. It's not a bad rotation.

They just can't hit. Francouer and Kelly Johnson have fallen flat on their faces. Kotchman is good with the leather, but he's not a good enough run-producer to be an everyday 1B. Escobar is talented, but erratic. The only one of their younger players who has really panned out is McCann, and he is miscast as a cleanup hitter.

Dibbs
07-07-2009, 12:43 PM
Their pitching is not real bad, though. Lowe, Vazquez, Jurrjens, this Hansen kid they called up. It's not a bad rotation.

They just can't hit. Francouer and Kelly Johnson have fallen flat on their faces. Kotchman is good with the leather, but he's not a good enough run-producer to be an everyday 1B. Escobar is talented, but erratic. The only one of their younger players who has really panned out is McCann, and he is miscast as a cleanup hitter.

It's not bad, but you can not even come close to comparing any of those guys to one of their HOFs. If they still had Maddux, Glavine and Smoltz in their prime, they would win the division even with a bad offense.

White City
07-07-2009, 05:59 PM
Given the horrible condition of the Atlanta economy, I expect them to finally bite the bullet and sell. I hope Kenny is ready to pounce on Chipper when that time comes. He would be the piece to put us over the top and has a reasonable two-year contract.

DSpivack
07-07-2009, 06:17 PM
Given the horrible condition of the Atlanta economy, I expect them to finally bite the bullet and sell. I hope Kenny is ready to pounce on Chipper when that time comes. He would be the piece to put us over the top and has a reasonable two-year contract.

Chipper? Braves fans would revolt if Larry Wayne was gone.

ewokpelts
07-09-2009, 10:15 AM

Javy's having a very good season for them, though.He's the team president now. still very involved in the team.

PennStater98r
07-09-2009, 10:40 AM

Easy to look good when you have three Hall of Famers pitching for you.

Steve Stone talked at great length as to which happened - Leo turning them into Super Stars or Greg, Tom and John turning a coach into a Super Star... Stoney fell on the side of option 2 - but called Leo a very good coach.

veeter
07-09-2009, 12:28 PM
They rode Maddux, Glavine and Smoltz for fifteen years. And now they're gone.