PDA

View Full Version : Advice about out of town / road game tickets?

Revolutn
07-06-2009, 04:39 PM
Hey gang,

Last year we decided to try and do 1 road game a season if possible. :cool:

I got tickets for a Cleveland game through those Stubby guys.

I've got my eyes set on a MN game this time but haven't acquired tickets yet.

Just wondering is there a better (official) way to get great away tickets than the secondary 'grey' market from those of you who are more road seasoned veterans?

TiA

salty99
07-06-2009, 05:09 PM
I don't think Minny sells out much so you could always get them at the box office.

LoveYourSuit
07-06-2009, 05:23 PM
Stubhub is the way to go.

Scored Sox vs Rays tickets in TB last year 5 rows behind the Sox on-deck circle $10 less than face value.

My thinking is if you are going out of town to go see your favorite team and making that investment, might as well go all out and get good seats.

Why go to the Dump Dome to sit in the upper deck or down the LF line where it's about 360 feet to the pitcher's mound turning your neck 90 degrees to the right.

Revolutn
07-06-2009, 05:29 PM
I don't think Minny sells out much so you could always get them at the box office.

My target date isn't sold out, but if I'm going to drive 8 hours I'm not sitting in the bargain bin left-over seats, so I'm in the market for a premium seating experience albeit at as reasonable a $ as I can manage.

SouthSideSoxFan
07-06-2009, 05:41 PM
Buying on StubHub the day of the game in general will result in the best bang-for-the-buck. This year with the great recession that seems to mean tickets under face value in most any ballpark, as I was even able to do this for the Cubs/Sox games at Wrigley for about 30% under face. In weaker markets like Tampa Bay I was able to sit a few rows behind the on-deck circle for well under half of face value for a Sox game.

StubHub cuts off two hours before game time, although most of the time there's not much difference between the morning and right before cut-off.

It often pays to check sporadically a few days before and get a feel for the market. Sometimes you can grab the odd really cheap listing that pops up for a few minutes before it's bought and disappears.

TDog
07-06-2009, 06:10 PM
I would never use StubHub under any circumstances.

Depending on the size of your party, you should be able to find day-of-game premium seating at the park, if you don't mind paying face value with no additional fees.

LoveYourSuit
07-06-2009, 06:36 PM

Depending on the size of your party, you should be able to find day-of-game premium seating at the park, if you don't mind paying face value with no additional fees.

:scratch: why?

Beats Ticketmaster IMO by a long shot. You might pay a bit more for good seats, but when has TM ever made such seats available?

Brian26
07-06-2009, 07:27 PM

Why? Please explain.

TDog
07-06-2009, 07:45 PM
Why? Please explain.

I would never deal with a ticket broker of any kind. I don't think it's an honest business, even if eBay did buy StubHub.

I have been to hundreds of baseball games. In the last 25 years, at least (with the exception of my 2000 postseason tickets, which I bought at the park the morning they went on sale, and my Brewers season tickets when I lived in Wisconsin), I haven't bought any tickets in advance. I have always found I can get great seats the day of the game, and I don't have to pay any sort of service charge.

Brian26
07-06-2009, 08:58 PM
I would never deal with a ticket broker of any kind. I don't think it's an honest business, even if eBay did buy StubHub.

I have been to hundreds of baseball games. In the last 25 years, at least (with the exception of my 2000 postseason tickets, which I bought at the park the morning they went on sale, and my Brewers season tickets when I lived in Wisconsin), I haven't bought any tickets in advance. I have always found I can get great seats the day of the game, and I don't have to pay any sort of service charge.

Yeah, but if someone is going on a trip to an out-of-town park (Minnesota in the case of the original poster), isn't nice to have the peace of mind of knowing you have tickets before you board the plane or book the hotel room? I think the nominal service charge is worth the peace of mind of not knowing for sure what you're going to end up with when you get there.

Stubhub is far from a broker at this point. It's a terrific service that benefits sellers and buyers, often times with tickets available at below face-value prices.

Lorenzo Barcelo
07-06-2009, 09:17 PM
Yeah, but if someone is going on a trip to an out-of-town park (Minnesota in the case of the original poster), isn't nice to have the peace of mind of knowing you have tickets before you board the plane or book the hotel room? I think the nominal service charge is worth the peace of mind of not knowing for sure what you're going to end up with when you get there.

Stubhub is far from a broker at this point. It's a terrific service that benefits sellers and buyers, often times with tickets available at below face-value prices.

:hijacked: Did Stubhub pretty much replace the White Sox Ticket Exchange? Also, if I were to see tickets for $11.00 each, in general what would the total be including fees, shipping, etc.

LoveYourSuit
07-06-2009, 09:34 PM

Exactly.

Stubhub is no where close to the ridiculous prices ticket brokers charge.

And about getting tickets "day of game?"

Unless you live next to the ballpark to take that chance, I don't know of too many people who do this. So you get stuck with ticketmaster then again.

Stubhub has been a bleasing IMO for the fan. I went to many Bulls/Hawks games last year including Bulls playoffs because of Stubhub. I couldn't go to postseason games back in the day because 1) I couldn't afford season tickets as a teenager 2) I could not camp out at venues or my phone waiting for tickets to be made available.

TDog
07-06-2009, 09:39 PM

I'm not calling anyone an idiot for using StubHub or urging a boycott. I am familiar with how it works and its business model, but I would never under any circumstances use StubHub. I have looked at StubHub before traveling to San Francisco or Oakland as a reference point. I always do better at the ticket window. I wouldn't use any service like Ticketmaster for a baseball game. I have used Ticketmaster for tickets to plays in London before leaving California, but those were special circumstances I found unavoidable.

I will say that it is a shame you simply cannot buy tickets directly from teams the way you used to. In the 1980s, you could call the Padres to order tickets, and there wasn't even a service charge involved. If I wanted to order tickets in advance, the demise of that convenience would anger me.

I have regularly driven hundreds of miles to see a game without pre-ordering tickets. I didn't lack any piece of mind wondering if I would get good seats. Only once, when some friends and I went to see the Expos play the Padres in San Diego, did I ever have trouble getting good seats, but that was because we didn't realize it was Tony Gwynn night, celebrating his 3,000th hit and giving away T-shirts. Unfortunately, we spent too much time lingering at the Olive Garden for our pregame meal.

DumpJerry
07-06-2009, 09:54 PM
:hijacked: Did Stubhub pretty much replace the White Sox Ticket Exchange? Also, if I were to see tickets for $11.00 each, in general what would the total be including fees, shipping, etc.
StubHub entered into an agreement with MLB last season which replaced the teams' Ticket Exchanges. Now we can get credit or money for a sale, with the old Ticket Exchanges, we only got credit.

ChicagoRushFan
07-06-2009, 11:12 PM
This is the first year I've used stubhub because now you can print most tickets at home. I've had great luck and now probably visit once a day looking for a deal. I sat 10 rows behind the Brewers dugout for a Reds-Brewers game for 15 bucks with fees, for instance.

In Miami and Tampa I went the stubhub route and got tickets well under face value (with fees). Same in St. Louis.

But Minnesota seems to have the fewest tickets on stubhub. The best bet at the dome is to buy from a scalper on the street if you want decent seats for under face. There are plenty of them out there. You can get well under face if you wait close enough to game time.

The dome is one of those places its worth having a game plan for tickets. There are thousands of bad tickets down the lines.

But for the most part Stubhub has been a blessing for me this year. Including fees, I haven't paid face value for a ticket this year.

Thats the cut off for me, face value. If stubhub's fees go over face value, then I'll buy at the park.

drewcifer
07-06-2009, 11:35 PM
Stubhub is the way to go.

Scored Sox vs Rays tickets in TB last year 5 rows behind the Sox on-deck circle $10 less than face value.

My thinking is if you are going out of town to go see your favorite team and making that investment, might as well go all out and get good seats.

Why go to the Dump Dome to sit in the upper deck or down the LF line where it's about 360 feet to the pitcher's mound turning your neck 90 degrees to the right.

That is absolutely ****ty advice to give anyone.

Stub hub is the WORST for Sox games. They are almost ALWAYS 20-50% OVER face, and on 3 occassions I received tickets late (and I travel to see the Sox when they come home) from NY.

I never NEVER recommend using stub hub to anyone. In fact, I don't think I've ever had even 1 good experience.

There's some good people here, and that's proven the best way for me. Some of these guys have some nice seats and are very professional.

I want Mags back
07-07-2009, 07:28 AM
and on 3 occassions I received tickets late (and I travel to see the Sox when they come home) from NY
:scratch:
that shouldn't really be a problem, as most tickets can be printed at home.

BubblingCalderon
07-08-2009, 09:17 PM
I've found if you get to the stadium early, the day of the game you get the best seats. To me it seems like teams hold tickets for players or whatever and release those tickets the morning of the game.

I've got row one (upper deck) at 4 stadiums now the day of the game. In fact, The only time I've ever gotten row 1 has been when I got tickets the day of the game. Most recent was in Toronto. The rows behind me have always been filled pretty far back so I have no other explanation as to why the tickets are available.

I will be going to see the Sox this Saturday at the Metradome. I plan on buying the tickets at the box office 2 or 3 hours before the game.

Also ticketmaster seems to fan from inside out on how they sell you tickets so if you look up tickets and they aren't in the corners they wont sell out and there is no reason to buy them in advance.

doublem23
07-08-2009, 10:20 PM
:scratch:
that shouldn't really be a problem, as most tickets can be printed at home.

In his defense, I believe the ability to print tickets at home is a recent development for StubHub.

TDog
07-08-2009, 10:23 PM
I've found if you get to the stadium early, the day of the game you get the best seats. To me it seems like teams hold tickets for players or whatever and release those tickets the morning of the game. ...

This has been my experience as well.

LoveYourSuit
07-08-2009, 10:31 PM
That is absolutely ****ty advice to give anyone.

Stub hub is the WORST for Sox games. They are almost ALWAYS 20-50% OVER face, and on 3 occassions I received tickets late (and I travel to see the Sox when they come home) from NY.

I never NEVER recommend using stub hub to anyone. In fact, I don't think I've ever had even 1 good experience.

There's some good people here, and that's proven the best way for me. Some of these guys have some nice seats and are very professional.

I'm speaking from personal experience. Every time I go Stubhub I am 100% satisfied.

And I can't help you if decide to buy tickets with limited time allowed for delivery, that's your problem. Book earlier to avoid this or use the "print ticket" option.

As for tickets being 20-50% above face? Depends on what game you go to. Bos, NYY, Cubs, etc..... yes you will pay thru the nose. Going to Tropicana, the Jake, The Dump Dome, you will find plenty of options at face or below.

drewcifer
07-08-2009, 10:44 PM
In his defense, I believe the ability to print tickets at home is a recent development for StubHub.

It must be, because I quit using Stub Hub during 07 and was always shipped tickets.

I'm speaking from personal experience. Every time I go Stubhub I am 100% satisfied.

And I can't help you if decide to buy tickets with limited time allowed for delivery, that's your problem. Book earlier to avoid this or use the "print ticket" option.

As for tickets being 20-50% above face? Depends on what game you go to. Bos, NYY, Cubs, etc..... yes you will pay thru the nose. Going to Tropicana, the Jake, The Dump Dome, you will find plenty of options at face or below.

So am I.

Never bought with limited allowed delivery; I plan my trips months in advance and as mentioned, I will never use them again.

Why would I go to those places? I was talking about buying tickets to see the Sox at the Cell and got raped on price. Evident, by the fact, that I was shipped actual tix with the face $ printed.

2 of the 3 times in particular were Detroit (one was Elvis night - I think 06), can't remember the other.

ewokpelts
07-09-2009, 10:07 AM
Hey gang,

Last year we decided to try and do 1 road game a season if possible. :cool:

I got tickets for a Cleveland game through those Stubby guys.

I've got my eyes set on a MN game this time but haven't acquired tickets yet.

Just wondering is there a better (official) way to get great away tickets than the secondary 'grey' market from those of you who are more road seasoned veterans?

TiAstubhub is the OFFICIAL resale partner of mlb. you're ok there.

plus, all tickets bought ar eetickets, so you dont have to pay upwards of $20 in shipping fees($5 per order)