PDA

View Full Version : Remember the Erstad for Garland deal anyone?

SoxxoS
06-03-2002, 11:26 PM
If KW would of made that trade, (and God knows he wanted to) this is what it would look like

Trade:Garland, K.Wells, Fogg, Lowe, Guierrer, Singleton
for...
Ritchie and Erstad.

Wow. Thats 21 wins for 3 and a CF. I wish he would get a little more heat about that, even if it didnt happen. He still WANTED it to happen. That's almost as bad. Just think, he wanted to trade 5 pitchers for one, and CF's that are having comprable years. Wow. KW-Learning on the job isn't cutting it. You are killing us, its time to step down.

P.S. Can we get a "Fire Kenny Williams" banner going?

jklm
06-03-2002, 11:30 PM
Scary thought indeed, especially Erstad will be a FA after this season..

CubKilla
06-03-2002, 11:31 PM
Wow! Good point. That whole deal falling through totally slipped my mind after we acquired Lofton (KW's only good move IMHO). The way Garland is pitching now, I cringe at the very thought. But, if it did happen, it would be par for the course and for KW.

oldcomiskey
06-04-2002, 06:19 AM
I thought that the Boomer Wells deal in principle was good--it just didnt work out-----Jose Canseco too

34 Inch Stick
06-04-2002, 08:45 AM
If the Erstad deal went through I don't think they would have traded Wells and Fogg to Pitt. A rotation of Buhrle, Wells, Fogg, Wright and Lowe would not be so bad (although I know Fogg would not be starting and Wells might not have recovered from an early bad start; this history change/ripple theory is so difficult).

Anyway, there is enough substantive evidence to damn Kenny without bringing in what if's.

hold2dibber
06-04-2002, 11:02 AM
A few points:

(1) The original poster forgot to include Marte as a guy we received for the players we dealt; and

(2) I could have sworn that the Garland/Singleton for Erstad deal happened after the Wells/Fogg/Lowe for Ritchie deal -- can anyone shed any light on that issue? In either event, even if the Anaheim deal was first, if it had gone through, I think KW would have been even more likely to have gone after another starter (be it Ritchie or someone else) because he still would be in search of a veteran arm and he would have actually thinned his starting rotation in the Anaheim deal. He would have been even more anxious for a starter and might have dealt Fogg, Wells, Lowe, Wright, Malone, Almonte, the BP pitcher and the pitching machine in the underground cage for Ritchie.

(3) If we had made the Anaheim deal, we wouldn't have Kenny Lofton either (so it would wouldn't have Lofton, Garland or Willie Harris, but we would have Erstad; thank the Lord that deal didn't go through).

Jerry_Manuel
06-04-2002, 11:14 AM
I went back and searched.

The Ritchie trade went down on 12/13, the Erstad trade went down on 12/12. There was talk of them dealing for Ritchie a few weeks before the Erstad trade. So perhaps he would have made both deals.

moochpuppy
06-04-2002, 11:22 AM
Originally posted by Jerry_Manuel
I went back and searched.

The Ritchie trade went down on 12/13, the Erstad trade went down on 12/12. There was talk of them dealing for Ritchie a few weeks befrore the Erstad trade. So perhaps he would have made both deals.

Before the Erstad deal the Sox were also trying to get Brian Giles from the Pirates and when the Pirates said no thats when the Sox went after Erstad.

kevingrt
06-04-2002, 11:58 AM
We got another one, Willie Harris

Iguana775
06-04-2002, 12:54 PM
Originally posted by SoxxoS
If KW would of made that trade, (and God knows he wanted to) this is what it would look like

Trade:Garland, K.Wells, Fogg, Lowe, Guierrer, Singleton
for...
Ritchie and Erstad.

Wow. Thats 21 wins for 3 and a CF. I wish he would get a little more heat about that, even if it didnt happen. He still WANTED it to happen. That's almost as bad. Just think, he wanted to trade 5 pitchers for one, and CF's that are having comprable years. Wow. KW-Learning on the job isn't cutting it. You are killing us, its time to step down.

P.S. Can we get a "Fire Kenny Williams" banner going?

how do we know that kipper would be pitching like he has in Pitt if he wasnt traded?? he said that he is not even sure if he would be. the coaching staff is quite different according to him. i think kippers major hinderance was our coaches.

Tragg
06-04-2002, 02:10 PM
More evidence that Williams is an incompetent.

As for Royce, glad to see everyone's come to their senses, after I was lambasted repeatedly on the old board for criticizing the acquitisition of clayton.