PDA

View Full Version : Why is Dodgers-Padres game on Fox in Chicago

illini81887
07-04-2009, 04:21 PM
When tigers-twins game is also on and much important to chicago market.

JermaineDye05
07-04-2009, 04:29 PM
When tigers-twins game is also on and much important to chicago market.

Because we all love Manny Ramirez.

SephClone89
07-04-2009, 04:31 PM
I was going to make a thread asking the same question. What gives? I only got to catch some of the Sox game today on the radio because I was at work (I'm a delivery driver), and was really looking forward to the Tiggers and Twinkies. Anyone we can email or call to complain?

LoveYourSuit
07-04-2009, 04:32 PM
Treating Manny like he's a hero coming back from a War?

The coverage of this guy is sickening. He's a ****ing cheater not a hero.

And if MLB is the one forcing the networks to prop up this clown, shame on them also. I would not be surprised if that's the case.

doublem23
07-04-2009, 05:13 PM
While the coverage following Manny is disgraceful and a bit hypocritical, it's important to remember that Manny only tested positive for a banned substance, but not a performance enhancing drug.

:shrug:

ChiSoxGirl
07-04-2009, 05:13 PM
Because we all love Manny Ramirez.

I'm sure the whole damn country, save the cities whose teams had 3:10p start times, are being subjected to this garbage. Every time Manny has come to the plate, they remove the box score from the top left corner of the screen for some reason. Because we care what a cheater does?!?!?!? :rolleyes: The guy is a total tool.

TDog
07-04-2009, 05:22 PM
You may be sickened by the coverage, but the coverage reflects Ramirez" reception by baseball fans in Southern California.

There are sports journalists who are questioning Ramirez' character and credibility (it's not objective reporting, but we don't want objective reporting, only reporting with a slant we agree with that we can call objective.) But even one of his biggest critics points out that unlike Bonds and Sosa and McGwire who everyone suspects of doing steroids, Ramirez has served a punishment for taking a banned substance, paying his debt to society, so to speak.

Jerko
07-04-2009, 05:50 PM
So glad Tigers Twins is not the Chicago Fox game today.

Harry Potter
07-04-2009, 05:55 PM
So glad Tigers Twins is not the Chicago Fox game today.

Yeah, who would want to watch a game that actually means something to the Sox? Instead, it's MANNYWOOD!!!

LITTLE NELL
07-04-2009, 06:01 PM
Because Chicago is a National League Town.

SephClone89
07-04-2009, 06:12 PM
Because Chicago is a National League Town.

Eyes.

JB98
07-04-2009, 06:15 PM
Manny is on my fantasy team, but I would still much rather be watching the Tigers-Twins game.

The actually pennant race is far more important than my crappy fantasy team.

NDSox12
07-04-2009, 06:20 PM
I'm sure the whole damn country, save the cities whose teams had 3:10p start times, are being subjected to this garbage. Every time Manny has come to the plate, they remove the box score from the top left corner of the screen for some reason. Because we care what a cheater does?!?!?!? :rolleyes: The guy is a total tool.

We're getting the Phillies/Mets game here in DC, which I care even less about than the Twins/Tigers or Dodgers/Padres.

Speaking of which, has anybody else had a terribly "jumpy" (for lack of a better word) picture for Fox HD games the last couple weeks? It's almost unwatchable... similar to the effect of a strobe light. Maybe it's just my cable provider or the local Fox channel.

Chicken Dinner
07-04-2009, 07:22 PM
FOX doesn't care what you want to watch. It's MLB, Bob DuPuy censorship. :angry:

Viva Medias B's
07-04-2009, 07:35 PM
Not only did we have to watch Manny; we were subjected to Dick Stockton.

Oblong
07-05-2009, 11:06 AM
Not only that but during the 1st inning of the Tigers/Twins broadcast here in Detroit they cut away to the Dodger game completely.

Garbage. Do they not understand that not everybody care about LA/Boston/NY?

InKennyWeTrust
07-05-2009, 11:08 AM
Garbage. Do they not understand that not everybody care about LA/Boston/NY?
When did LA get on that list?

Eddo144
07-05-2009, 11:50 AM
Treating Manny like he's a hero coming back from a War?

The coverage of this guy is sickening. He's a ****ing cheater not a hero.

And if MLB is the one forcing the networks to prop up this clown, shame on them also. I would not be surprised if that's the case.
Facts:

1. Manny Ramirez is one of the best and most popular players in baseball.

2. He tested positive for a banned substance.

3. He was punished to the fullest extent of the rules.

4. His suspension is now over.

5. He plays for the team with the best record in baseball.

6. He plays for a team in the second-largest U.S. market.

Why should Fox or ESPN feel shame? They're making a sound business decision. Manny draws viewers.

And as for the "he's a cheater" thing: he was punished. He had to miss 50 games, which cost him SEVEN MILLION DOLLARS. I'm in no way condoning what he did, but he has paid the price. Stop this feigned moral outrage, please.

EuroSox35
07-05-2009, 02:49 PM
I turned it on when Manny came up for his 2nd AB and heard Stockton say 'we welcome the viewers joining us for Manny's next AB', so they broke into other games to show his ABs, ummm, ***? It wasn't his first game or AB back, he'll have plenty more in the future, he isn't chasing a record....

EuroSox35
07-05-2009, 02:52 PM
Facts:

1. Manny Ramirez is one of the best and most popular players in baseball.

2. He tested positive for a banned substance.

3. He was punished to the fullest extent of the rules.

4. His suspension is now over.

5. He plays for the team with the best record in baseball.

6. He plays for a team in the second-largest U.S. market.

Why should Fox or ESPN feel shame? They're making a sound business decision. Manny draws viewers.

And as for the "he's a cheater" thing: he was punished. He had to miss 50 games, which cost him SEVEN MILLION DOLLARS. I'm in no way condoning what he did, but he has paid the price. Stop this feigned moral outrage, please.

You've got plenty of viewers who couldn't care less in this thread. A Dodgers-Padres game isn't exactly the most enticing matchup in the world to me, a game I would probably never watch unless it was an amazing pitching matchup or something was on the line late in the year, especially when it means nothing to a lot of people viewing and a big divisional game is on as an alternative.

Eddo144
07-05-2009, 03:51 PM
You've got plenty of viewers who couldn't care less in this thread. A Dodgers-Padres game isn't exactly the most enticing matchup in the world to me, a game I would probably never watch unless it was an amazing pitching matchup or something was on the line late in the year, especially when it means nothing to a lot of people viewing and a big divisional game is on as an alternative.
To be fair, I responded in a thread titled something like "ESPN and Fox should be ashamed," which then got merged (somewhat confusingly) with this thread. I understand very few people in this thread, on the fansite of an AL team, will not care about a Dodgers game very much.

However, on a national level, I'd say more people care about the Dodgers and Manny than about the Tigers and Twins.

And remember, half of Chicago is a National League town, and the Dodgers are a very popular National League club, so it's not entirely strange to have that game on in Chicago.

LoveYourSuit
07-05-2009, 09:16 PM
However, on a national level, I'd say more people care about the Dodgers and Manny than about the Tigers and Twins.

The same Dodgers team that drew an AVG of 20K here in Chicago for a 3 game set?

Quit using the Dodgers as the excuse on why the networks are ramming this coverage down our throats.

It's all about 1 guy, Manny.

jdm2662
07-05-2009, 10:03 PM
Huh? DET-MIN was on in KC? :scratch:

Eddo144
07-05-2009, 10:43 PM
The same Dodgers team that drew an AVG of 20K here in Chicago for a 3 game set?

Quit using the Dodgers as the excuse on why the networks are ramming this coverage down our throats.

It's all about 1 guy, Manny.
Yeah, Manny's a bigger reason for the excessive coverage than the Dodgers (and I acknowledge this in my first post), but again, what's the problem? On a national level, more people will watch Manny's team play than will watch the Tigers and Twins. The networks made a business decision.

I'd say the Dodgers' poor draw here was due to (a) the tickets being priced at the Premium tier, (b) the Sox playing like crap at the time (the Dodgers series was where they turned it all around), and (c) the absolutely brutally hot and humid weather that week. Plus, they're a National League team and really not much of a rival for the Sox. And even so, how does their popularity among Sox fans in Chicago disprove they're more popular nationally than the Tigers and Twins.

WhiteSoxJunkie
07-07-2009, 03:59 PM
While the coverage following Manny is disgraceful and a bit hypocritical, it's important to remember that Manny only tested positive for a banned substance, but not a performance enhancing drug.

:shrug:

Yes, but it was a substance commonly used after using a performance enhancing drug.