PDA

View Full Version : Favorite Sox Game You've been to?

BigP50
07-03-2009, 10:44 PM
Ive never been to a playoff game so this will be kind of hard, ihhhhhhh.

My first game was cool because well it was obviously my first game and they were playingg a Mariner team with A-Rod and Griffey.

I went to a game where Maggs hit two homers and at the time he was my favorite player so that was cool since I was only 10.

But it would have to be a toss up between 3 games.

1. 2008 Openin Day. My first Opening Day, which featured a Joe Crede GS to break a 3-3 tie against the Twinkies.

2. 2009 against the Rangers. Me and my friend got to sit in the first row for 3 innings and the 5th for the rest of the game, I got to see 2 of my favorite players in Elvis Andrus and Ian Kinsler, I got and Andrew Jones autograph and the Sox won.

3. 2009 against the Indians. Me and my friend sat in the first row, right where the Sox players walk into the dugout, got a ball signed by Buehrle, Beckham, Kerry Wood and a few other Indian players.

Honorable Mention: 2008 against the Rays/the AJ chicken wing game. My friend and I sat in the 10th row right by home plate.

GoGoCrede
07-03-2009, 10:46 PM
The blackout game. The crowd was electric. We lived and died with every pitch. It was a sea of black. My voice grew hoarse. I high-fived total strangers. John Danks is the man. I'm so lucky to have been able to go.

chisoxfanatic
07-03-2009, 10:47 PM
The blackout game. The crowd was electric. We lived and died with every pitch. It was a sea of black. My voice grew hoarse. I high-fived total strangers. John Danks is the man. I'm so lucky to have been able to go.
This.

And, I had the fortunes of going to both home games in the 2005 ALDS against the Red Sox, as well as the AJ Pierzynski 2005 ALCS Game 2 and Mark Buehrle's no-hitter.

JB98
07-03-2009, 10:54 PM
Opening Night, 2006. The pregame ceremonies to recognize the 2005 team were great.

And despite a lengthy rain delay, the Sox won 10-4. Thome hit his first home run as a member of the Sox that night.

Rudy Law
07-03-2009, 10:55 PM
1. Black Out Game
2. June 27th 2003 (Jose hits game winning homer in bottom of the 9th against Cubs)
3. 2005 Season Opener

HomeFish
07-03-2009, 11:00 PM
I was at every 2005 home playoff game except for Game 2 of the World Series. My fondest memory (apart from winning the ****ing World Series) is of the Iguchi HR game in the ALDS.

cheezheadsoxfan
07-03-2009, 11:01 PM

Same here. Only bummer was I was so cold I went to buy a jacket just when Thome hit the HR so I only saw it from the gift shop TV. :rolleyes:

We had great seats tho, 2nd row behind tarp on 3rd base side. We got sprayed with champagne by Thome. :bliss:
Just wonderful!

dwalteroo
07-03-2009, 11:06 PM
2005 WS Game #2. I paid an absolute arm and leg for tickets I could barely afford, but it was worth every penny and then some. I didn't think anything could possibly outdo Konerko's grand slam...until Pods hit that homer to win it.

The best of writers couldn't have come up with that game. I was borderline euphoric for an entire day.

twinsuck
07-03-2009, 11:08 PM
Game 4 of the world series.

jk

Tragg
07-03-2009, 11:13 PM
Sox 4 Astros 3, July 2, 1998 in the Astrodome. In the first two games of the series, I endured 2 blowout Astros wins.

Billy Bob Simas got the save.

mccoydp
07-03-2009, 11:15 PM
My pool of games is very limited, so I would have to say the game vs. the Angels in 2008 where Quentin hit the HR in the bottom of the 9th for the Sox' 2-1 win. Contreras was dueling nicely with John Lackey.

Lip Man 1
07-03-2009, 11:15 PM
June 4, 1972 the famous Taco Game

June 4, 1972 - It is forever known as the ‘Taco Game.” In the second game of a double header with the Yankees, Sox manager Chuck Tanner wanted Dick Allen to be ready to pinch hit in the last of the 9th inning if needed. One problem....he couldn’t be found! Eventually one of the clubhouse boys found Dick at a taco stand across the street. They rushed back to the park with Allen wolfing down his ‘snack.’ With two men on and the Sox losing 4 - 2, Allen was called to hit. On the third pitch from “Sparky” Lyle, Allen deposited the ball into the left field lower deck for a 5 - 4 win. (This story was confirmed for me when I spoke with Ed Herrmann for his interview with White Sox Interactive.com and Bill Melton has talked about this incident at Sox Fantasy Camp.)

Lip

minutia
07-03-2009, 11:19 PM
1. The 2008 Blackout Game, that was so cool to see and experience. I get chills thinking about it.
2. 2006 Home Opener. Very cool to see the WS banner that we all got to enjoy in 2005.
3. June 18, 2005 Turn Back the Clock night against the Dodgers. They were losing and then came back and then AJ gets up and hits that walk-off with that bat flip to win it. The place went crazy and I knew then they would win it all. On a sadder note, that was the last time my whole family was at a game together. My brother died in November of 2005 so that game has very special meaning.
4. Opening Day 2005. That was a beautiful sunny day. Buehrle pitched. They won by 1 run, the only run in fact. It was a really great, tightly played game and I said in the parking lot to my brother. If they keep this up they will win it all. Of course lets be cautiously optomistic until the All Star Break. I was so thrilled to be right in October.

ChiSoxGirl
07-03-2009, 11:19 PM
There are so many, I can't pick just one. I'm going to list my top five in order.

Game 1 of the World Series. I was fortunate enough to pay face value for a ticket in Sec. 110, but thought $220 was a fortune. As soon as I met up with some friends in Lot B to tailgate and got a feeling for the whole environment, it was no longer a fortune.
The Blackout. Aside from Game 1 of the World Series, that was the most electric I've ever seen that ballpark. Everything about that game and its surroundings was absolutely perfect!
2006 Home Opener. I sat up in Sec. 518 for this and cried my eyes out during the montage that played during the banner unveilings. Despite leaving the ballpark at 1:10a and having to be up at 5:30a for work, I didn't care. However, I did think that this team was conspiring against me getting any sleep, since it was their fault I had a sleepless October 2005. :wink:
May 25, 2008- Sunday Night Game of the Week vs. Lackey and the Angels. It was a beautiful night and I was with my friend from West Palm, who was visiting that weekend. It was only his second time at Comiskey Park (his first was two days prior) and he loved every minute of that game. We sat out by the Sox bullpen and when TCQ went deep off Lackey for the second time to win the game, my friend literally lifted me off the ground in celebration. We walked the neighborhood that night, just so he could experience the all of the surrounding euphoria.
Opening Day 2008. Crede's slam in the bottom of the 7th sent the crowd into a frenzy I hadn't seen since Thome's 500th homerun.

JB98
07-03-2009, 11:22 PM
1. The 2008 Blackout Game, that was so cool to see and experience. I get chills thinking about it.
2. 2006 Home Opener. Very cool to see the WS banner that we all got to enjoy in 2005.
3. June 18, 2005 Turn Back the Clock night against the Dodgers. They were losing and then came back and then AJ gets up and hits that walk-off with that bat flip to win it. The place went crazy and I knew then they would win it all. On a sadder note, that was the last time my whole family was at a game together. My brother died in November of 2005 so that game has very special meaning.
4. Opening Day 2005. That was a beautiful sunny day. Buehrle pitched. They won by 1 run, the only run in fact. It was a really great, tightly played game and I said in the parking lot to my brother. If they keep this up they will win it all. Of course lets be cautiously optomistic until the All Star Break. I was so thrilled to be right in October.

Good list, minutia. I wasn't at the Blackout Game, but I attended the three others you mentioned. I'd probably rank Turn Back the Clock night second on my list, behind Opening Night of 2006.

johnnyg83
07-03-2009, 11:24 PM
Game 2 2005 ALDS ... that was a game we used to lose ... when Iguchi went deep after Graff's error ... it was the craziest I ever saw a baseball crowd in Chicago.

milrtyme28
07-03-2009, 11:25 PM
My favorites would have to be:

1) 2005 World Series Game 2 - somehow got tickets from the website for face value. Still cant believe I was there.

2) 2008 Blackout game - went by myself with a standing room ticket purchased that morning. Unbelievable game.

3) 2006? The game when the Sox hit 4 home runs off of Randy Johnson in one inning. I think it was in 2006.

4) June 27th 2003 (Jose hits game winning homer in bottom of the 9th against Cubs)

5) June 18, 2005 Turn Back the Clock night against the Dodgers. (First time I heard lets go go go White Sox at a game - knew it from this site - what an incredible comeback)

6) June 27, 2009 Sox vs. Cubs - Beckham's walk off RBI.

JB98
07-03-2009, 11:29 PM
My favorites would have to be:

1) 2005 World Series Game 2 - somehow got tickets from the website for face value. Still cant believe I was there.

2) 2008 Blackout game - went by myself with a standing room ticket purchased that morning. Unbelievable game.

3) 2006? The game when the Sox hit 4 home runs off of Randy Johnson in one inning. I think it was in 2006.

That was '05! I was at that game, too.

Iguchi, Rowand and Konerko went back-to-back-to-back. Later, Widger finished it off. It was a six-run inning.

Contreras pitched, and the win broke a season-high seven-game losing streak for the Sox.

minutia
07-03-2009, 11:36 PM
That was '05! I was at that game, too.

Iguchi, Rowand and Konerko went back-to-back-to-back. Later, Widger finished it off. It was a six-run inning.

Contreras pitched, and the win broke a season-high seven-game losing streak for the Sox.

I was at that game too. We were seated with these Yankee fans going on and on about "The Big Unit" and how the White Sox didn't have a prayer that of course was when they were not bitching at the lack of microwaves for the lasagna they brought with them. They were so strange. We were just sitting there talking to each other, not even swearing and they kept jumping in. That was another great win. Very exciting.

Whappeh
07-03-2009, 11:38 PM
The 1 game out of the 10 I've been to I've seen them win. :angry:

JB98
07-03-2009, 11:38 PM
I was at that game too. We were seated with these Yankee fans going on and on about "The Big Unit" and how the White Sox didn't have a prayer that of course was when they were not bitching at the lack of microwaves for the lasagna they brought with them. They were so strange. We were just sitting there talking to each other, not even swearing and they kept jumping in. That was another great win. Very exciting.

They brought lasagna? And they expected microwaves? :scratch:

minutia
07-03-2009, 11:44 PM
They brought lasagna? And they expected microwaves? :scratch:
They did. They had like a whole Ravinia picnic set up sans the wine. Forks, plates, tupperware, knives, everything. They were very bizarre. Snobby. We really didn't notice until they started talking and then we were like what the hell is all this?

GoGoCrede
07-03-2009, 11:49 PM
They did. They had like a whole Ravinia picnic set up sans the wine. Forks, plates, tupperware, knives, everything. They were very bizarre. Snobby. We really didn't notice until they started talking and then we were like what the hell is all this?

Man, you needed to get the Miller High Life guy for them! :D:

UofCSoxFan
07-03-2009, 11:56 PM
1) Blackout Game
2) ALCS Game 1 (downgraded slightly due to loss but awesome atmoshpere)
3) Last night game at Old Comiskey (and my first Sox game)
4) Crede walk-off against Tribe in 2005...was the famous Hake "Joe Caaaaarrrrreeeeeedeeeeee" call...needed that win just win it looked like the season was falling away.
5) Valentin walkoff against Cubs

Soxman219
07-04-2009, 12:17 AM
Games I attended

July 24, 2004 I believe Crede walked off versus the Tigers
Memorial Day 2005 - Timo Perez walk-off:bandance:
ALCS game 2 - Iguchi HR to make it 5-4; crowd was electric

May 2007 - White Sox beat the Royals in a walk-off

June 2008 - Completing the sweep of the Flubs on national TV

esbrechtel
07-04-2009, 12:27 AM
Off the top of my head in no particular order...

ALDS first game in 05 against Boston
ALDS game 3 2008
Indians Game 2008 (first of three needed to win division)
Thome 500 (I was also the Icecream row :drool:)
Frank Thomas' First Game back (as an A) Walk off Bunt hit by Ozuna
Griffey 1st game at Cell (Swisher Walkoff)
Sox Cubs Fight 2006 (Iguchi GS)
2006 Final game against Astros sunday night Iguchi hit 2 homers (3 run and a slam to tie it after being down 9 runs, they still lost but it was an awesome game)
Cubs Sox at Wrigley AJ go ahead homer against Dempster in 9th (2006)
19 innings against Boston
1st game at New Comiskey (just cool to be there...especially since I was so young...)
Final Dodgers game in New 59s Pods Walkoff

kingpin_rcs
07-04-2009, 12:41 AM
You are all making me feel very jealous - and old.

I have not lived in the area since 1995 and I have not been to the cell since 2001. Although I have seen the Sox on the road many times - mostly in Seattle.

My favorite games that I have attended:

1984 - My first game against the Indians. Scott Fletcher hit a home run.

1984 - Greg Luzinski hits GS for second consecutive game.

1985 - Harold Baines hits walk off homer that almost makes the bleachers - fans chanting HAR-OLD on and on down the walkways into the parking lots even on the Dan Ryan.

1990 - Too many to list but last game ever at Old Comiskey wins out.

1991 - My first game at New Comiskey (second game ever) Sox lost but I saw the first Sox run scored (I think it was Scott Fletcher)

1993 - Home opener - Bo Jackson hits homer in first at-bat since hip replacement surgery

1993 - Division clincher - Bo Jackson hits homer that at first looked like a pop-up to short - it just kept going and going.

I need to get back to the Cell

SpiderJames
07-04-2009, 12:46 AM
03 against Cubs, Rowand tieing homer in 8th, Jiminez walkoff single in 9th.
05 AJ walkoff against Dodgers in the 59 unis, unreal game.
05 last regular home game, scoreboard showed the Indians lost, place erupted in applause for about 10 minutes.
05 game 2 ALDS, Graffinino error, "Oh NOOO! EVERYONES SAFE!"
05 game 2 ALCS, AJ strikeout
05 game 2 World Series, Pauly Slam, Pods walkoff, unreal.
06 Barret AJ Brawl, something Ill never understand how Cub fans still blame AJ, followed by Iguchi slam
07 Buehrle no hitter
07 Seeing Jenks shaking by nervousness trying to break the record for most consecutive outs, so close :(
07 Thome 500th
08 TCQ walkoff homer on Memorial Day weekend
08 Swisher slam against Cubs
08 Makeup game against Detroit
08 Blackout

I love being a season ticket holder :D

BigP50
07-04-2009, 12:49 AM
I really want to go to a game with a walk off home run!

Hopefully something like that happens against the Rays July 20th, most likely my last game of the year

Harry Potter
07-04-2009, 12:51 AM
I was at every 2005 home playoff game except for Game 2 of the World Series.

I was fortunate to have the same stretch of playoff games as you HF.

Like many of the posts before me, it's tough to pick a favorite but the top of my list definitely includes:
- The Blackout Game
- Buehrle's No-Hitter
- 2006 Opening Night
- World Series Game 1
- AJ's legendary walk-off vs. the Dodgers in 2005
- Thome's 500th HR

My honorable mentions include many of the Sox/Cubs games I've been into including Valentin's walk-off, Carlos Lee walk-off, and the infamous AJ/Barrett incident followed by Iguchi's Grand Slam

BigP50
07-04-2009, 12:54 AM
I was fortunate to have the same stretch of playoff games as you HF.

Like many of the posts before me, it's tough to pick a favorite but the top of my list definitely includes:
- The Blackout Game
- Buehrle's No-Hitter
- 2006 Opening Night
- World Series Game 1
- AJ's legendary walk-off vs. the Dodgers in 2005
- Thome's 500th HR

My honorable mentions include many of the Sox/Cubs games I've been into including Valentin's walk-off, Carlos Lee walk-off, and the infamous AJ/Barrett incident followed by Iguchi's Grand Slam

thats probably the most impressive list

Noneck
07-04-2009, 01:32 AM
I don't remember the date but it was early summer Saturday game vs. the yanks in 1961. Mantle didn't get a hit and I loved it, although Maris did get a homer. We had good seats, down the left field line (near the visitors bullpen) 1st row. Saw all the guys I heard so much about on the radio and from my dad and uncle. Minnie, Looie, Nellie and their new thumper Roy Sievers. It was a close game and went to extra innings I was on the edge of my seat the whole game. My dad was concerned about me and at one time I remember him telling me that I better not cry if the yanks win. I cheered for every Sox hit and for every yanks out. Then I think it was the 12th or 13th and Roy Sievers came up to the plate with the game tied. I remember seeing him hit the ball, then everyone stood up and I knew it was going to left field but couldn't see the ball. My dad grabbed me put me on his shoulders and I saw it land in the left field stands. After that I don't remember much, I think I floated to my dads car that night and thought about and talked about nothing else for over a week. Yes, It was my 1st and no game will ever match that.

One more thing. My Dad made sure I met Andy The Clown and I got the initiation squirt from his lapel flower.

ohthosechisox
07-04-2009, 01:48 AM
I've only been to one playoff game before, Game 3 of the 2008 ALDS, so that would have to top my list. I have to say, I regret not buying standing room only tickets for the Blackout game, so at least I was at the victorious playoff game in consolation. :tongue:

As for other favorite regular season games, I've actually seen quite a few exciting games this year. I was at the May 30th and 31st games in Kansas City and the Sunday June 14th game up in Milwaukee. All three of those were won in the 9th inning, and it was very very fun to celebrate on the road.

Edit: And I forgot to mention Buehrle's home run at the Milwaukee game. Miller Park erupted when that happened. :D

jcw218
07-04-2009, 04:17 AM
A few of my favorites

June 9 2000: 14 inning marathon vs Cubs, Scammy goes 1-6 with 5 K, His only hit was a 2 run hr to tie the game at 5. Durham hits a single to left to score the Milkman TBGR (http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/rwas/index.php?id=73&category=4)

June 19 2000: Standing Ovation. The first game home following the Seven Glorious Days (part 1 (http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/rwas/index.php?id=74&category=4), 2 (http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/rwas/index.php?id=75&category=4), 3 (http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/rwas/index.php?id=76&category=4), 4 (http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/rwas/index.php?id=77&category=4), 5 (http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/rwas/index.php?id=78&category=4), 6 (http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/rwas/index.php?id=79&category=4), 7 (http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/rwas/index.php?id=80&category=4)). White Sox beat Cleveland 6-1 with Kip Wells pitching a good quieting the calls for Garland at the time

June 23 2000: Carlos Lee taking the 1st pitch he sees from Mariano Rivera deep in the bottom of the 9th to tie the game and Jose Valentin finishing the rally with a 2 out single to right scoring the Milkman

Game 1 ALDS against Seattle Even though the Sox lost, the atmosphere was outstanding

Final Game @ Old Comiskey

And finally
:walkoff:

soxfan21
07-04-2009, 07:08 AM
For me it was the Blackout game and Game 3 2008 ALDS. As mentioned before, the crowd was so electric at that game, and seeing a division clinching game live was something else. The playoff game last year was my first one I've been to, and again everyone lived and died with every pitch.

LITTLE NELL
07-04-2009, 08:54 AM
31 years ago last night, July 3rd, 1978.
Chet Lemon and Jorge Orta hit homers in the bottom of the 9th for a comeback victory against the Rangers before a packed house at old Comiskey.
What made the night special was that it was Richie Zisk's and Bobby Bond's first game back at the old ballpark, Zisk opted for free agency after the great 77 season and Bonds was traded a couple weeks earlier for Claudell Washington.The two of them were booed like no other visiting players that I have seen. It was quite a night and fans stayed on their feet yelling and screaming until the fireworks show started. IIRC it was also Larry Doby's first game managing the Sox after Veeck fired Bob Lemon.

PS.Even though they lost the game I have to throw in the only time I saw my White Sox live in a World Series, that was game 2 of the 59 series against the Dodgers which we lost 4-3.

primeaum
07-04-2009, 09:39 AM
2005 WS Game #2. I paid an absolute arm and leg for tickets I could barely afford, but it was worth every penny and then some. I didn't think anything could possibly outdo Konerko's grand slam...until Pods hit that homer to win it.

The best of writers couldn't have come up with that game. I was borderline euphoric for an entire day.

I went to this too. I was able to get through ticketmaster to get 4 tickets, in groups of two. I took my dad, brother, and another die hard sox fan. It was, and will always be THE BEST SPORTING EVENT I've ever gone to!!
(second is Blackhawks game 6 vs Vancouver this year)

you are so right about the crazyness that happened in this game. The rain was blowing in, it was cold but no one could feel it because the Cell was ROCKING!

PKalltheway
07-04-2009, 09:51 AM
June 23 2000: Carlos Lee taking the 1st pitch he sees from Mariano Rivera deep in the bottom of the 9th to tie the game and Jose Valentin finishing the rally with a 2 out single to right scoring the Milkman
I remember being 11 years old at the time watching this on WGN, and going ballistic when the Sox won this. Hard to believe that it was nine years ago already....

My favorite Sox game that I have been to would have to be the game on September 6th last year. Sox beat the Angels in 15 innings on Jim Thome's gargantuan game-winning homer. I also liked this game because the Sox came back in the bottom of the ninth to tie the game off of K-Rod.

wilburaga
07-04-2009, 09:57 AM
Tom Seaver's 300th win.

W

kevingrt
07-04-2009, 10:01 AM
Lets go non-playoff games:

5. Nick Swisher walk off in the 14th versus the Mariners I believe last year. That game was awesome.

4. Cubs vs Sox when the Sox came from like 6 back and PK blasted a HR in the 5th or 6th to take the lead for good.

3. 1993 Division Clincher. I was 6 and it was awesome.

2. JOE CREDE versus the Injuns in 2005. Hawk's call was better then the game though.

1. Black out.

Honorable mention: 2005 Opening Day with Buehrle pitching a gem... and SHINGO

Gavin
07-04-2009, 10:06 AM
Vs Cliff Lee at home last year. I think the Sox tied it in the 9th inning and O-Cab hit the runner in with a double in extras.

chisoxfan83
07-04-2009, 10:33 AM
2009 Buehrles hr @ milwaukee
2008 Blackout (better crowd than world series because almost all were sox fans)
2008 Play in vs Detroit
2007 Thomes 500th
2006 vs cubs aj/barrett fight
2006 opening night
2005 Game 2 Ws
2005 Game 2 ALCS
2005 Game 2 Alds
2005 Clincher @ Detroit (was one of the first to shake reinsdorfs hand after the final out, he came down to the seats for the bottom of the 9th)
2005 final home game crowd went nuts when toons lost and then the highlights on scoreboard showed sizemore losing ball in sun!
2005 Credes walkoff vs indians Joe CRREEEEEEEEDE!

its a toss up between game 2 of WS and the Blackout game

TomBradley72
07-04-2009, 10:46 AM
2005-Game 2 World Series- Pods walk off HR
2005-Game 1 World Series- "We're in the World Series!"
2005-Game 2 ALDS- Iguchi HR
2008-Black Out Game vs. Twins
2005- Joe Crede HR beats Cleveland in late September
1993 AL West Division clincher- Bo Jackson "hang time" HR
2008- White Sox beat Tigers w/TCM grand slam to force Game 163
2005- AJ's Walk Off HR vs. Dodgers
1990- Andy Hawkins loses a no hitter to White Sox
1991- Robin Ventura's walk off grand slam vs. Gossage
1978 Opening Day- Ron Bloomberg HR beats Red Sox (cut school to attend)
1972- 55,555 attend bat day vs. Twins
1982- Jerry Hairston pinch hit HR in the bottom of the 9th after a walk, beats Jack Morris 2-1

GlassSox
07-04-2009, 08:53 PM
Blackout
2005 WS Game 2
Burls no no
Burls home run in Milwaukee
Gooch's horizontal play

Zisk77
07-04-2009, 09:06 PM
1. Opening day 2006
2. 2005 the win over Arizona down 6-1 and scored the highest run total of the year (don't remember how much we actually score.
3. Went to int. league game against Astros where maggs hit first major league hr (at the cell) then drove home (st.louis area) and went to Sox cards series and maggs gad GW hr for second mlb homer. That would be some trivia question...what teams did Maggs hit his first two hrs. against!
4. First interleague game ever at cincy and ray ray homers to start the game.

side note was at final playoff game last year :whiner:

haganaga
07-04-2009, 09:27 PM
Game 2
Game 1
AJ's walkoff against the Dodgers
Crede's walkoff against the Indians
Game 1 '93 ALCS (a loss, but was cool to be at a playoff game since I was 8 the previous time they were in the postseason)
ALDS Game 2 in '05
July/August game against Boston in '86 (my first Sox game)
1990 vs. the A's after Dave Stewart's "they can't hold my jockstrap" comment (my second Sox game)
Opening Day '08
Opening Day '09
AJ's 9th inning homer at Wrigley in '06 (on a rooftop with only 3 other Sox fans there)

Probably missing some, but those are top of my head

Woofer
07-04-2009, 11:02 PM
-Opening night 2006 (cept the rain)
-JOE! CREDE! Game winning HR against the Indians 2005
-2005 Game 2 ALDS
-2005 Game 1 ALDS
-2008 Game 3 ALDS, took my 7 year old son, and my 64 year old Mom to their first playoff game.:smile: And the Sox won!

DumpJerry
07-04-2009, 11:33 PM
Game II.

It replaced 7/31/91 a/k/a The Robin Ventura Game (I'm surprised only one other person so far has listed this).

I've been to many of the other games listed in this thread, but those two rate a 50 on a 1-10 scale where 10 is nirvana.

Viva Medias B's
07-04-2009, 11:46 PM
I would have to say Game 1 of the 2005 World Series. Outside of that, I would say the A.J. walk off game against the Dodgers in '05.

DaveFeelsRight
07-04-2009, 11:46 PM
easy for me:

game 2 of the world series and the blackout game

DumpJerry
07-04-2009, 11:54 PM
Outside of that, I would say the A.J. walk off game against the Dodgers in '05.
I was there, too. It was as exciting as any other walk-off HR except Robin's. There was something special about Robin's that had us ranking it Number One here until the '05 Fall Classic.

Huisj
07-05-2009, 12:01 AM
Crede walkoff game against Cleveland. Every pitch of that game seemed to have the whole stadium's attention. It was intense.

Martinigirl
07-05-2009, 12:09 AM

I could not agree more. It was baseball utopia. It is insane how indescribably happy a baseball game can make you feel, but it did. It was just a little bit of perfection in the real world.

Second would have to be the dropped 3 strike AJ game. I will never forget how the building just shook when Crede hit the game ending double.

sullythered
07-05-2009, 12:39 AM
Blackout game. About 8 of us went there in my buddy's RV and tailgated early. I've been to playoff games, but the crowd that night was ree-diculous. The best, most electric fan experience of my life.

whitesoxfan
07-05-2009, 03:32 AM
Most of my games prior to this year were either blowout W's or blowout L's. My most memorable game that I went to as a kid was when the Indians with Manny jumped out to an 8-0 lead. I think we came back to either tie it or we were only down by 1 in around the 5th inning. Then I believe it was David Justice who hit a grand slam and the Indians won something like 15-7 or 15-8. I went to a doubleheader against the Mariners in either 95 or 96 which was real cool too.

The two games that I've been to this year have been great. The Sox-Cubs Saturday game was amazing. I haven't been to any playoff games so the atmosphere there was absolutely electric, especially when it was headed to the 9th.

PaleHoser
07-05-2009, 12:15 PM
May 27, 1979 - first game at Comiskey Park. A scheduled Sunday double-header against the California Angels. Sat in the right field bleachers for $2.00 a seat. Sox were swept, but I got to see two games for the price of one.

July 1, 1990 - Andy Hawkins no-hits the White Sox but loses 4-0 on the 80th birthday of "The Baseball Palace of the World".

July 11, 1990 - The original Turn Back the Clock Game. Nancy Faust walked the park playing an accordian. No between innings advertisements, scoreboards telling fans to make noise. It was beautiful.

August 10, 1990 - Sox play twi-night double-header against Rangers. Due to rain delays, the second game started very late. The second game (http://www.baseball-reference.com/boxes/CHA/CHA199008102.shtml) was memorable because Craig Grebeck and Ozzie Guillen went back-to-back off Nolan Ryan on consecutive pitches.

August 12, 1990 - Sox game vs. Texas was rained out. Arrived at Comiskey Park at 11:30 am because it was Camera Day, which was also rained out. Spent the entire day at the park until they finally called the game at 9:00 pm. Watched three games and the Video History of the White Sox (hosted by Jean Shepherd) on the Jumbotron. Sox served complimentary hot dogs at Cokes at 8:00 pm for everyone and there were still a few hundred of us die-hards still there. Just took everything in that day - the sights, the smells (good and bad) and the people. A beautiful day at the ballpark, and I didn't even get to witness a game.

September 30, 1990 - Final game at Comiskey Park.

September 13, 2004 - Expos vs. Marlins at Comiskey Park. General admission, sit anywhere you want. Took my kids out of school for the afternoon and we all went to the game on a whim.

Brian26
07-05-2009, 12:32 PM
July 11, 1990 - The original Turn Back the Clock Game. Nancy Faust walked the park playing an accordian. No between innings advertisements, scoreboards telling fans to make noise. It was beautiful.
Sox should have won that game...too bad Psycho booted that ball and let the Brewers back into the game

russ99
07-05-2009, 07:04 PM
1. June 18, 2005 - A.J.'s Comeback homer vs. the Dodgers

2. ALCS Game 1 vs. Red Sox in Oct. 2005

3. Bo Jackson's homer - clinching game in Sept. 1993

4. The Friday Cubs/Sox game at Wrigley in May 2006. I have a epic photo of my friend putting my 70's Sox hat on the Harry Caray statue.

5. Sunday doubleheader vs. the Rangers in 1979, my grade-school class had front row seats in the LF grandstand. The Sox split.

LITTLE NELL
07-05-2009, 07:47 PM
31 years ago last night, July 3rd, 1978.
Chet Lemon and Jorge Orta hit homers in the bottom of the 9th for a comeback victory against the Rangers before a packed house at old Comiskey.
What made the night special was that it was Richie Zisk's and Bobby Bond's first game back at the old ballpark, Zisk opted for free agency after the great 77 season and Bonds was traded a couple weeks earlier for Claudell Washington.The two of them were booed like no other visiting players that I have seen. It was quite a night and fans stayed on their feet yelling and screaming until the fireworks show started. IIRC it was also Larry Doby's first game managing the Sox after Veeck fired Bob Lemon.

PS.Even though they lost the game I have to throw in the only time I saw my White Sox live in a World Series, that was game 2 of the 59 series against the Dodgers which we lost 4-3.

PSS. I can't believe I left out the Bo Jackson 93 division clincher against Seattle, it was the last Sox game I attended before moving to Florida. Great night even though we sat in row 29 in the upper deck, that was as high as you could go.

socaljeff
07-05-2009, 11:09 PM
In Chronological Order:

1) Sox vs. Twins: July 1, 1977 (Sox move into first place ... the neighborhood surrounding Comiskey Park goes nuts ... cars honking, fans screaming ... you would have thought it was October 1st!!)

2) Disco Demolition Night: July, 1979 (Amazing!!)

3) ALCS, Game 5 in Anaheim: October, 2005 (When I bought the tickets following the ALDS, I would have not believed that Game 5 would be the actual clincher ... I was just hoping that there would BE a Game 5!! Most of the Angels fans were pretty cool, but a few flipped us off on the way out!!)

Dibbs
07-05-2009, 11:30 PM
So many great ones, but game 2 is tops.

MushMouth
07-06-2009, 09:57 AM
1) Game 1 World Series 2005
2) Blackout Game 2008
3) Game 1 ALDS 2005 - the way we jumped on them just set the tone for the playoffs
4) First game w/ my son in 2007

FielderJones
07-06-2009, 12:12 PM
2005-10-05 ALDS Game 2, the only postseason game I've ever been to. Iguchi slam into the bullpen in front of me.
2005-05-30 Memorial Day, Frank back, Timo drives in 2 to win in the bottom of the 9th.
1977-07-31 Royals score 2 in the top of the 10th, Sox score 3 in the bottom. Southside Hitmen!
1971-04-09 Tom Bradley pitches 8 strong innings against Twins, but Vicente Romo gets the win in the 9th. My first Sox game.

tacosalbarojas
07-06-2009, 01:24 PM
Here's my list:

1. Game Two of the 05 Series
2. Game Two of the 05 ALCS
3. Game Two of the 05 ALDS
4. Play-In Game vs. Minny last year
5. Game One of the 05 ALCS
6. Last Game in the old park in '90
7. Return from New York and Cleveland in May 2000.
8. Jim Thome's 500th HR.
9. Make up game with Detroit the day before the blackout game last year.
10. Crede walk-off over Cleveland in '05
11. Clee walk-off HR in crosstown series.
12. May 13, 1977 - anti-superstition night...only BV could come up with these things!

TomBradley72
07-06-2009, 01:30 PM
1971-04-09 Tom Bradley pitches 8 strong innings against Twins, but Vicente Romo gets the win in the 9th. My first Sox game.

Thanks for the mention. :D:

Britt Burns
07-06-2009, 01:36 PM
Game 4 of the WS in Houston. 'Nuff said.

I was also at Ventura's 2 GS game in Arlington, and my first two games ever (KC in '83) are high on the list.

JimmyJames
07-06-2009, 02:53 PM
First of all, great topic.

Wow, I see a lot of the games I would have picked have already been mentioned so I won't be bringing too much to this party, here are my top five.

#5 - Mark Buherle throws the no hitter/ near perfect game vs the Rangers. Buddy of mine at work had extras and didn't think anyone would want to go as it was kind of a cold day until he remembered what a huge Sox fan I was. We were sitting on the edge of his club level seats. I remember after he put Sammy on yelling "Let's see that sweet move to first Mark!" Then he went ahead and picked him off. Him going to his then pregnant wife afterward, embracing her, and rubbing her belly may have been one of the sweetest things I have ever seen.

#4 - Carlos Lee's walk off grand slam to beat the cubs. You all know the game. I loved this one because I had friends in from out of town who wanted to go to the park and were able to score tickets. One buddy of mine called an El Caballo home run before the game, glad it turned out to be the winner.

#3 - 2006 Season opener vs the Twins. The intro of the World champions, the unveiling of the banner, the playing of the 2005 Sox season DVD during the rain delay. What a great moment, I was happy to trade my '06 Sox - Cubs tickets for this game.

#2 - 2005 ALDS Game 2. My ex's brother had an extra which he offered to me. I agree with everything said about this game, the place just exploded after Gooch put that ball over the fence. Might have been the loudest I ever heard it.

#1 - 2006, ALCS game 2, the AJ incident. What's usually lost in the shuffle about this game is what a fantastic performance Mark Buherle had put in. We were in the right field reserve seats just over from the batter's eye so we all were craning to see where Crede's hit was going, but we didn't need to see it, the roar of the crowd told us everything we needed to know. As one of my cub fan friends texted me afterwards, "That was the Anti-Bartman. You guys are going to win it all."

I love baseball.

WhiteSoxJunkie
07-07-2009, 02:30 PM
Beating the Cubs 13-9 after being down 8-0 back in 02.
The AJ "interference" game vs the Rays last year. I didn't know what the hell was going on until I got home and watched the highlights.

Railsplitter
07-07-2009, 03:10 PM
1991- Ventura's walk off grand slam. Missed the first inning due to traffic on the Damn Ryan.

Chrisaway
07-07-2009, 03:24 PM
2006-Sox V. A's-The Big Hurt returns to Chicago, hits 2 homeruns, and the Sox pull it out on a walkoff bunt.

chisox117
07-07-2009, 04:02 PM

That's definitely one my favorites too. Except for the outcome of course. It was simply amazing. Too bad Turn Back the Clock games aren't full-scale events like that anymore; with the scoreboard and PA off, period costumes with ticket prices to match, etc. It was the last game I'd see at the old park and I will never forget it. There was some truly awful fielding by Steve Lyons in the game. I always hated him after that. A few years after the fact, Lyons was a guest of my friend's dad at a Phoenix Roadrunners game we all went to. I wanted so badly to tell him off for ****ing up things up with his lackidasical defense, but, even though he was pretty much just a scrub, I was still kind of intimidated, so I held back. I don't think that I would these days.

jej254
07-07-2009, 06:17 PM
Pod's walk off. WS Game 2. Section 160. Expensive, but worth it.

Stoky44
07-07-2009, 08:35 PM
1. Game 1 2005 WS
2. Buehrle's no-no.
3. Sept 27, 1993-- Bo's HR to clinch division. I am really surprised this game is not mentioned all that much. THIS GAME WAS AWESOME. I was only 10, but remember this game so much, and I loved that team. I guess a lot of people forget about this game. In my opinion it was better than the blackout, although close.
4. Blackout
5. Last game at old park

TheVulture
07-07-2009, 09:08 PM
8/11/91 in Baltimore at the old Memorial Stadium, Wilson Alvarez makes his debut with the Sox and throws a no hitter. Doesn't get any better than that, plus it helped me finally get over my Baines anguish. Also saw the Jack Morris no hitter at Comiskey in '84, not quite as fun for a young Sox fan, but a good one none the less.