PDA

View Full Version : Another great outing from Garland...

Tragg
06-03-2002, 10:57 PM
3 in a row, I think. That is a promising sign. Perhaps we have 2 real, real good starters.

voodoochile
06-03-2002, 11:01 PM
Originally posted by Tragg
3 in a row, I think. That is a promising sign. Perhaps we have 2 real, real good starters.

Indeed, but you almost have to feel sorry for Foulke. I want the win over anything else and the more runs the better, but he gets robbed of another save because the offense puts up two more in the 8th...

RKMeibalane
06-03-2002, 11:14 PM
Jon Garland has been impressive over the past few weeks. He seems much more focused on the mound, and he is no longer concerned about trying to strike everyone out, as young pitchers sometimes are. Instead, he has finally learned how to use the defense behind him, and how fool hitters by changing speeds and locations effectively.

By the way, does anyone find it interesting that Garland started this around the time that the Cubs called up Mark Prior?

WinningUgly!
06-03-2002, 11:22 PM
Originally posted by RKMeibalane

By the way, does anyone find it interesting that Garland started this around the time that the Cubs called up Mark Prior?

Yes I do. I'm sure Garland reads the papers. Whatever it takes to motivate him. :D: If he keeps maturing with each start like he has been, we might be able to end up with a resectable rotation after all.

CubKilla
06-03-2002, 11:23 PM
If Garland has one or two more starts like the last 3, he quickly becomes our number 2 starter. Ritchie just ain't cutting it, Wright is too hot/cold (lukewarm may be a better descriptor for Wright), and Glover is..... well..... Glover. The Sox still need another veteran arm if we're gonna challenge Minnesota legitimately for the AL Central this year.

chisoxfanatic
06-03-2002, 11:45 PM
Originally posted by voodoochile

Indeed, but you almost have to feel sorry for Foulke. I want the win over anything else and the more runs the better, but he gets robbed of another save because the offense puts up two more in the 8th...

With the way our relief pitching has been lately in close ballgames, I am glad that our offense was able to muster a couple more runs to widen the lead. We wouldn't want another meltdown like the two games against the Yankees last week. They need to get their confidence back a little more before they are ready to deal with the close games, IMO.

Heather the Redbird

GASHWOUND
06-04-2002, 06:43 AM
Originally posted by RKMeibalane
Jon Garland has been impressive over the past few weeks. He seems much more focused on the mound, and he is no longer concerned about trying to strike everyone out, as young pitchers sometimes are. Instead, he has finally learned how to use the defense behind him, and how fool hitters by changing speeds and locations effectively.

Exactly my sentiment on Garland. Now you feel good when he hits the mound, now that's 2 guys in the rotation that you feel good when they hit the mound...Now lets expand that #. Although we still have to see if he can do what he's doing for an entire season..some consistency..PLEASE. But things look good so far..

And lets hope Garland and Prior face off in one of our meetings with the flubbies.

raul12
06-04-2002, 09:21 AM
Originally posted by GASHWOUND

And lets hope Garland and Prior face off in one of our meetings with the flubbies.

that would be sweet. although i think you'd probably notice a distinct lack of attention in the chicago media to the fact that the scrubbies traded JG to us for matt karchner. (is he still in baseball?)

Iwritecode
06-04-2002, 09:30 AM
Originally posted by voodoochile

Jeez, you people find something to complain about even when we finally win!

:)

harwar
06-04-2002, 10:09 AM
I've had Garland sittin on the bench all year on my fantasy teams just waiting for him to come around.I hope hes' finally turned the corner and won't look back.I said all along that i bet he ends up the number 2 starter.

Paulwny
06-04-2002, 10:25 AM
Thank God or Nardi, (naw, it couldn't have been Nardi), Garland's starting to live up to the hype. All I pictured was another Scott Ruffcorn.

Randar68
06-04-2002, 10:36 AM
Originally posted by Paulwny
Thank God or Nardi, (naw, it couldn't have been Nardi), Garland's starting to live up to the hype. All I pictured was another Scott Ruffcorn.

His stuff is unreal, how many balls have been hit hard in the past 3 outings? It's because he is throwing strikes and letting his movement miss the bats...

What Kip is also finally starting to let happen...

Paulwny
06-04-2002, 10:44 AM
Originally posted by Randar68

His stuff is unreal, how many balls have been hit hard in the past 3 outings? It's because he is throwing strikes and letting his movement miss the bats...

What Kip is also finally starting to let happen...

You're right, too mant young guns are afraid to pitch as they did in the minors. They think they have to nibble the plate.

By the way thanks for the rain guys, it's really coming down here.

raul12
06-04-2002, 10:50 AM
Originally posted by Paulwny

You're right, too mant young guns are afraid to pitch as they did in the minors. They think they have to nibble the plate.

By the way thanks for the rain guys, it's really coming down here.

you must have gotten the rain from somewhere else--it's still raining here. seems like my ultimate frisbee game will get canceled today....sigh. :whiner: :whiner: :whiner: