PDA

View Full Version : Anyone think Manuel will sit Pauly and Play Frank during interleague play?


RedPinStripes
06-03-2002, 11:34 PM
:jerry
What kind of bull**** can i come up with for playing Frank?


I don't think jerry is that dumb. We'll see.

RKMeibalane
06-03-2002, 11:39 PM
...this debate has been going on for some time. Now that the Choice has been placed in his rightful position on the Sox bench, it looks like Konerko could be moved to third base and Valentin to short in order to accomodate Frank. This wouldn't be the best move as far the Sox defense is concerned, but when one considers that pitchers must bat in National League parks, I would be willing to risk including more offensive-minded players in the line-up.

WinningUgly!
06-04-2002, 12:29 AM
I wouldn't be surprised to see Frank at 1st, with Pauly DHing a few times before interleague play starts. That should tip us off to what JM has in mind. We'd be a joke defensively with PK at 3rd, Manos at SS & Frank at 1st....Yikes :o:

FanOf14
06-04-2002, 01:16 PM
As much as I rather would see Paulie at 1st during interleague, I am willing to bet that seniority wins that one and Frank sees the majority of play at first.

TheBigHurt
06-04-2002, 03:38 PM
Originally posted by RedPinStripes
:jerry
What kind of bull**** can i come up with for playing Frank?


I don't think jerry is that dumb. We'll see.

Its all going to depend on matchups they'll probaly split the time anyway and i would be surpised if konerko plays 3rd..but it wouldnt be the 1st manuel has surpised me

RedPinStripes
06-04-2002, 06:08 PM
Originally posted by TheBigHurt


Its all going to depend on matchups they'll probaly split the time anyway and i would be surpised if konerko plays 3rd..but it wouldnt be the 1st manuel has surpised me

What match ups? They're both righties and one is hitting much better then the other all year.

my5thbench
06-04-2002, 06:52 PM
no way Konerko starts every game at 1st with 1 possible
day of if he is due for a day off.

Frank won't even complain, he knows it's Paul's job,
too bad whomever submitted the roster for the all star
ballot wasn't so astute

write in Konerko to start at 1st in the all star game

Jerry_Manuel
06-04-2002, 06:53 PM
Originally posted by RedPinStripes
What match ups? They're both righties and one is hitting much better then the other all year.

I'm sure he meant pitching vs. hitting matchups. You know, maybe Thomas hits that days starter well and Paul doesn't. Konerko had his usual May slump at the end of the month and it looks to be carrying over into May. Whoever is the hottest hitter should get the call.

Pukester
06-04-2002, 07:00 PM
Bench them both and call up Casey Rogowski,that way you'll really have something to complain about.

guillen4life13
06-04-2002, 07:02 PM
i think that konerko played as a catcher/3b in the minors. and in between the 2000-2001 offseason, i think he was actually playing 3b in hopes of thomas taking over at 1st and someone else dhing (lee? i don't remember). as far as i'm concerned, I don't see the problem with putting paulie at 3rd, Frank at 1st, and Rowand platooning w/ lee in lf.

Daver
06-04-2002, 07:04 PM
Originally posted by guillen4life13
i think that konerko played as a catcher/3b in the minors. and in between the 2000-2001 offseason, i think he was actually playing 3b in hopes of thomas taking over at 1st and someone else dhing (lee? i don't remember). as far as i'm concerned, I don't see the problem with putting paulie at 3rd, Frank at 1st, and Rowand platooning w/ lee in lf.

You are kidding right?

FarmerAndy
06-04-2002, 07:09 PM
:reinsy

Don't forget, we need to find a spot for Harold.

FarmerAndy
06-04-2002, 07:12 PM
People always bring up this Paulie at 3rd nonsense. I remember him playing a couple of games there in 2000, but let's get real folks. IT AIN'T GONNA HAPPEN.

WinningUgly!
06-04-2002, 07:29 PM
Originally posted by FarmerAndy
People always bring up this Paulie at 3rd nonsense. I remember him playing a couple of games there in 2000, but let's get real folks. IT AIN'T GONNA HAPPEN.

The other thing that was always brought up was the talk of moving Carlos Lee to firstbase. Don't hear much of that anymore, thankfully.

Carlos would make a great 1stbaseman if he could hit & catch the ball. :D:

FanOf14
06-04-2002, 07:44 PM
He could never play the catching position again because of a hip defect. Honestly, I think it would be dangerous to put PK at 3rd...anyone remember what happened to Manos's defense last year when he was tossed from spot to spot to spot? PK may have played third here and there, but that is a tough position to go in after not playing there in overa year or two.

Zednem700
06-04-2002, 07:56 PM
Originally posted by RedPinStripes


They're both righties and one is hitting much better then the other all year.

Much better? I don't think so. Here are the two players, you tell me which one is "hitting much better" than the other.

Player A
obp 356 slug 495 OPS 851 responsible for 150 outs in 234 plate appearances, and an EQA of .294


Player B
obp 352 slug 488 OPS 840 responsible for 155 outs in 242 plate appearances and an EQA of .294


player A is Konerko and player B is Frank, and they both look pretty close to equal to me.

fogie
06-05-2002, 11:24 AM
I think Paul should play first base, he's the best of the two, right now.


GO GO SOX

KruseControl04
06-05-2002, 11:34 AM
I won't be surprised at all if we see Frank playing at first base during interleague play. Don't get me wrong, I'd much rather see Pauly out there, but Manuel is an idiot. Maybe Frank will dive for a ball and break his arms again. Then we'd get to see a lot more of Paul at first.