PDA

View Full Version : Time for me to gloat..

beasly213
07-02-2009, 12:45 PM
I recall a thread started by me before the season started where i was ridiculed and torn into by many of you WSIers..

http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=107749

All I have to say is... it wasn't so crazy was it?? :redneck

Haha granted there was no way to know Pods would be so good this year for our Sox but still it's fun to gloat when you can. :cool:

*Note Thomas35s comment and sig on that last page of the thread.

spawn
07-02-2009, 12:48 PM
As someone that thought you were completely nuts, I'll gladly eat crow and tip my cap to you. Good call.:tiphat:

goon
07-02-2009, 01:03 PM
That thread just goes to show how silly people can look when they think they have it all figured out. In baseball, more than any other sport, you just never know what the hell is going to happen.

beasly213
07-02-2009, 01:06 PM
As someone that thought you were completely nuts, I'll gladly eat crow and tip my cap to you. Good call.:tiphat:

Ha I love that tipping of that cap icon! Side note, look how many people were showing Wise love!!!!

Taliesinrk
07-02-2009, 01:24 PM
Quite funny... especially Thomas35's comments. Well played :gulp:

Taliesinrk
07-02-2009, 01:25 PM
Ha I love that tipping of that cap icon! Side note, look how many people were showing Wise love!!!!

P.S. I NEVER have shown Wise love.

doublem23
07-02-2009, 01:28 PM
Gloat till the cows come home. Nobody expected Pods to play like this. Good call. :clap:

areilly
07-02-2009, 01:35 PM

Actually, it was insane. It worked out well, but still totally ****ing bat-**** insane.

Huisj
07-02-2009, 01:52 PM
Think where the team would be right now without him stepping up a few months ago. Wise playing full time? The Sox might be 10 games under .500 instead of 2 over.

CubsfansareDRUNK
07-02-2009, 01:56 PM
Haha, that sig/comment combo on the last page is too funny :roflmao:

Red Barchetta
07-02-2009, 02:00 PM
Nice call, however I will postpone full congratulations until after the season. If Pods were to go down with an injury (gulp), the naysayers would reiterate that he can't stay healthy.

I agree, he has played lights out and has been a great addition. However, history is not on our side and we're not even 1/2 way done with the season.

Gavin
07-02-2009, 02:00 PM
put this accomplishment on your resume. cause that's how silly it looks in this thread, too.

asindc
07-02-2009, 02:05 PM
Nice call, however I will postpone full congratulations until after the season. If Pods were to go down with an injury (gulp), the naysayers would reiterate that he can't stay healthy.

I agree, he has played lights out and has been a great addition. However, history is not on our side and we're not even 1/2 way done with the season.
It seems the issue wasn't that if he could contribute he would not stay healthy, rather the issue was that Pods was not even worthy of taking up a minor league roster spot. Count me among those who say, "Why not?" when considering a player who has performed on the major league level in the past. If it doesn't work, what has the organization lost?

Witness Bartolo Colon and Freddy Garcia.

asindc
07-02-2009, 02:06 PM
Beasly, a lot of people owe you an apology.

Rocky Soprano
07-02-2009, 02:31 PM
I recall a thread started by me before the season started where i was ridiculed and torn into by many of you WSIers..

Haha granted there was no way to know Pods would be so good this year for our Sox but still it's fun to gloat when you can. :cool:

Hmmmm. You were asking for Pods to be signed as a late inning runner and a replacement for Wise, not to be our lead off hitter, so even you didn't expect this.

soxpride724
07-02-2009, 02:34 PM
Good call. I don't think anyone, including Podsednik, knew he was going to be this good.

07-02-2009, 02:37 PM
put this accomplishment on your resume. cause that's how silly it looks in this thread, too.

:?:

cws05champ
07-02-2009, 02:56 PM
Beasly, a lot of people owe you an apology.

If you think you are getting an apology every time somebody disses your ideas, I think you are on the wrong board...or the wrong medium for that matter.

I didn't think it was a bad idea on a minor league deal...I just thought he would never make the major league roster again.

beasly213
07-02-2009, 03:03 PM
Good call. I don't think anyone, including Podsednik, knew he was going to be this good.

Agreed.

beasly213
07-02-2009, 03:03 PM
If you think you are getting an apology every time somebody disses your ideas, I think you are on the wrong board...or the wrong medium for that matter.

I didn't think it was a bad idea on a minor league deal...I just thought he would never make the major league roster again.

I never said I wanted an apology.

cws05champ
07-02-2009, 03:09 PM
Not saying you did...I was just responding to the post that said people owe you an apology. I didn't mean for it to come off snarky....

goon
07-02-2009, 03:13 PM

Eh, people kind of trashed you and though it seemed like a "crazy" idea you were still right. Some people just have a hard time admitting when they're wrong, nice to see some people in this thread actually acknowledge that they were wrong.

beasly213
07-02-2009, 03:17 PM
Not saying you did...I was just responding to the post that said people owe you an apology. I didn't mean for it to come off snarky....

No worries. :smile:

doublem23
07-02-2009, 03:40 PM

http://blogs.dallasobserver.com/unfairpark/Sour%20Grapes.jpg

I'd put a link to that thread in your resume... if you're applying for a job in the Sox front office. :)

beasly213
07-02-2009, 04:00 PM
http://blogs.dallasobserver.com/unfairpark/Sour%20Grapes.jpg

I'd put a link to that thread in your resume... if you're applying for a job in the Sox front office. :)

Hahahahah. Awesome.

Mr.1Dog
07-02-2009, 04:17 PM
"I'm stupid. You're smart. I was wrong. You were right. You're the best. I'm the worst. You're very good-looking. I'm not attractive. "

asindc
07-02-2009, 04:53 PM
"I'm stupid. You're smart. I was wrong. You were right. You're the best. I'm the worst. You're very good-looking. I'm not attractive. "

Did you read the original thread? He has earned the right to gloat.

asindc
07-02-2009, 04:55 PM

Normally I would agree, but he was almost universally reviled in that thread for proposing a no risk, potentially some reward move. More evidence of why I would not want anyone on this board running the Sox, including myself.

Mr.1Dog
07-02-2009, 05:31 PM
Did you read the original thread? He has earned the right to gloat.

I did read the original thread and even stated that I think Pods was a bad idea. That quote is actually from Happy Gilmore. I was trying to make light and give props.

beasly213
07-02-2009, 06:01 PM
I did read the original thread and even stated that I think Pods was a bad idea. That quote is actually from Happy Gilmore. I was trying to make light and give props.

Don't worry I got it. :wink:

DrCrawdad
07-03-2009, 07:53 AM

I'm so very shocked that this guy (http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=2105189&postcount=3) was one of the vocal naysayers...

Craig Grebeck
07-03-2009, 08:46 AM
I'm so very shocked that this guy (http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=2105189&postcount=3) was one of the vocal naysayers...

Well, he certainly can't run. Sorry for not foreseeing his best hitting season after it appeared he was over the hill. That being said, let's not crown him this early.

DrCrawdad
07-03-2009, 09:06 AM
Well, he certainly can't run. Sorry for not foreseeing his best hitting season after it appeared he was over the hill. That being said, let's not crown him this early.

So, so stupid. He can't even run anymore, let alone hit.

Signing Pods to a minor-league contract was hardly "so, so stupid" it was certainly worth a shot by the Sox. It has certainly paid off for the Sox and might I also point out that the Sox are in 2nd place. That's something else you did not foresee but also would have dismissed. So much for the Sox have so many "holes" and many more than...

rookie
07-03-2009, 10:29 AM
Whoa. There was not one person who agreed with you. And you suggested this back in November. :thumbsup:

hawkjt
07-03-2009, 10:39 AM
Take names, serve the crow:smile:

In fairness to the guilty...if Carlos does not get hurt, there is no way we sign Pods to play center...but now that we know he can still leadoff and hit and run, we will live with him in center when Carlos comes back.

Good call,tho.
I will say, when he was signed, I was on board after hearing about how good his spring was and how healthy he was....still you beat me by 5 months...kudos.

hawkjt
07-03-2009, 10:44 AM

He ''can't run''.
Compared to who?
He still beats out infield hits regularly(like on weds.nite) and he has double figure stolen bases after 6 weeks of playing...
He can still run.

goon
07-03-2009, 12:15 PM
Well, he certainly can't run.

:scratch: You actually watch this team, right? He's tied for the team lead in SB and didn't play for the first month of the season. I know he's been caught stealing six times, but I remember a few of those were in his first weeks back, getting bad jumps and getting caught in pickles. In June he stole 9 bases and was only caught twice.

DrCrawdad
07-03-2009, 05:55 PM
:scratch: You actually watch this team, right? He's tied for the team lead in SB and didn't play for the first month of the season. I know he's been caught stealing six times, but I remember a few of those were in his first weeks back, getting bad jumps and getting caught in pickles. In June he stole 9 bases and was only caught twice.

Back when the Sox signed Pods I remember hearing an interview on the SCORE with a Rockies broadcaster or coach (I can't remember). I distinctly remember the guy saying that he didn't think Pods was finished and talked very positively about Pods hitting.

cards press box
07-03-2009, 06:10 PM

If Scott Podsednik has proven anything in his career, it is that he can adapt. Check out his minor league and major league stats. This guy has shown tremendous perseverance. He spent a number of years in the minors and made the adjustments necessary to get to the big leagues in the first place.

In 2009, Podsednik has re-invented himself again with the "Podsednik shuffle," the slug bunts and apparently his biggest adjustment, an offseason routine geared toward durability with the rigors of the long season.

Podsednik has been really impressive and has ignited the Sox' resurgence as much as anybody. I hope he sticks around and remains the Sox leadoff man until Jordan Danks (or Jared Mitchell) is ready to do so.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/p/podsesc01.shtml?redir

cards press box
07-03-2009, 06:12 PM

Yes, Podsednik has been running well lately and has seemingly ignited the running game across the Sox lineup. Getz, A. Ramirez, Nix, Beckham and Anderson have been running in the last couple of weeks and have had some success. It's good to see.

Craig Grebeck
07-03-2009, 07:41 PM
Pods is stealing bases at a 66% clip right now. Not good. He's getting better, but I'm still not sure he can maintain an 80-90% success rate like he's had in June.

All I'm saying is we should wait before we anoint this the best deal ever. I'm certainly pleased he's worked out, but I'm still rather ambivalent about what's left in the tank. I certainly am against inking him to an extension at this point.

asindc
07-03-2009, 08:03 PM
Pods is stealing bases at a 66% clip right now. Not good. He's getting better, but I'm still not sure he can maintain an 80-90% success rate like he's had in June.

All I'm saying is we should wait before we anoint this the best deal ever. I'm certainly pleased he's worked out, but I'm still rather ambivalent about what's left in the tank. I certainly am against inking him to an extension at this point.

The point is not that it was initially proposed because it would be such an outstanding deal, rather because it was a NO RISK, potentially some reward deal. It has already proved to be worthwhile, in part because Pods is the team's best base stealer. If he can't run, no one on the team can run.

cards press box
07-03-2009, 11:51 PM
I certainly am against inking him to an extension at this point.

After going 3-4 tonight, Scott Podsednik is hitting .317. If he can lead off for another season or two, that would be great. I expect that Jordan Danks and/or Jared Mitchell are not going to reach the big leagues until 2011 at the earliest, anyway.

Consequently, a one or two year extension for Pods would give the Sox a nice bridge to the point in time when Jordan Danks or Mitchell should reach the majors. Once Pods is no longer effective as an every day lead off man, he would make a great 4th or 5th outfielder/pinch hitter/pinch runner. I hope the Sox keep him around.

Tragg
07-04-2009, 12:07 AM
Sure glad I didn't say anything in that thread.
Whew
LOL

He's been fantastic getting on base.

goofymsfan
07-04-2009, 12:49 AM
Gloat till the cows come home. Nobody expected Pods to play like this. Good call. :clap:

As a HUGE Podsednik fan, I knew he had it in him which is why I've been a fan of his since 2001 when he was with the Tacoma Rainiers and Seattle Mariners. He's the reason I got on this board in the first place. I don't write much about him because I don't want you nice folks to get sick of me. I've had him in my signature since I figured out how to make one. Solid was what he said to me when he signed my copy of that picture.