PDA

View Full Version : Aroldis Chapman a free agent

Rockabilly
07-02-2009, 01:18 AM
Would love to see the Sox sign this guy..

What do you think our chances are getting this guy to sign with us?

http://translate.google.com/translate?prev=hp&hl=en&js=n&u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.cubaencuentro.com%2Fes%2Fdeport es%2Fnoticias%2Fel-pitcher-aroldis-chapman-abandona-el-equipo-nacional-en-holanda-190890&sl=es&tl=en&history_state0=

pmck003
07-02-2009, 01:26 AM
Says he can reach 100 - nice find on the article. Did he play in the classic or have you seen him otherwise? Edit: Guess you have to figure the Sox have as good a chance as anyone w/ the guys they've got from Cuba.

KRS1
07-02-2009, 01:33 AM
Is he really a FA this quickly? These guys usually have to wait until just before the next years draft for some kind of decision on their status.

KRS1
07-02-2009, 01:36 AM
Says he can reach 100 .

That's the report everywhere. If so, it's a two team race for him and we need not apply.

Rockabilly
07-02-2009, 01:38 AM
here is a video of him

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZE0iQmsFSms&amp

KRS1
07-02-2009, 01:42 AM
Nasty stuff. Not much command, but a good pitching coach would be chomping at the bit to have his arm under their watch.

pmck003
07-02-2009, 01:47 AM
Will be interesting to see how much money he gets

SoXPriDe33
07-02-2009, 11:24 AM
http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=4302422

07-02-2009, 11:34 AM
KW is on the phone. I hope! I saw this guy pitch at the WBC from the 6th row behind home plate. There were a bunch of scouts sitting around me and everyone was blown away by his stuff. He struggled with control but his arsenal was NASTY.

Edit: Sounds like he is going to cost alot of money. I don't think we will be getting into that.

munchman33
07-02-2009, 11:55 AM
We are dropping a lot of salary going into next season, and we're gonna have a hole in the rotation. I wouldn't say it's impossible that we'll sign him. Kenny sure does love his Cubans, and Cubans seem to want to play here.

maristsox
07-02-2009, 12:00 PM
Thats why you need real cubans

cws05champ
07-02-2009, 02:05 PM
I love how the ESPN story only quotes a Yankees exec that "they will be interested". Hey ESPN...there are other teams that may be interested.

Don't think this is KW's MO. I think he'll command a bit too much $$ for the Sox to go after, and considering the Sox don't give any pitchers more than a 4 year deal, it may work against us.

VeeckAsInWreck
07-02-2009, 02:29 PM
If KW doesn't get him, this will happen. The Yankees will throw a truck load of money for him. He'll sign and struggle for two years in New York, then KW will work out a trade and Chapman becomes a star with us.

It happened with Contreras, it can happen again.

LoveYourSuit
07-02-2009, 04:27 PM
Maybe an incentive to bring back JC as a mentor for the kid the next 2 years.

Gurantee to the kid that Alexei, JC, Viciedo will all be up here next here, that can work in our favor big time.

DumpJerry
07-02-2009, 04:32 PM
Gurantee to the kid that Alexei, JC, Viciedo will all be up here next here, that can work in our favor big time.
You cannot do that. It would be unenforceable term of his contract. This means you have to have Contreras, Ramirez and Viciedo on the 25 man roster no matter what. Kenny would not be able to trade any of them. The team could not send one of them down to AAA if warranted or DFA one of them.

You are also assuming he will be MLB ready. From what I read, he may need some conditioning and growing up.

The only thing that you can "guarantee" is that if Ozzie and Coop are still on the staff if and when he makes The Show, he'll have a manager and pitching coach who can speak Spanish.

oeo
07-02-2009, 05:48 PM
I love how the ESPN story only quotes a Yankees exec that "they will be interested". Hey ESPN...there are other teams that may be interested.

Don't think this is KW's MO. I think he'll command a bit too much $$ for the Sox to go after, and considering the Sox don't give any pitchers more than a 4 year deal, it may work against us.

The last time the Yankees signed the big time Cuban pitcher, we ended up getting him anyway. :cool:

HomeFish
07-02-2009, 08:10 PM
We got burned on the Viciedo deal -- his AA stats are unimpressive. KW's appetite for the Cuban Sandwich is probably lower than it was last year.

WhiteSox5187
07-02-2009, 08:20 PM
We got burned on the Viciedo deal -- his AA stats are unimpressive. KW's appetite for the Cuban Sandwich is probably lower than it was last year.

He's 19 and hitting .270 with six homeruns for the first time against AA pitching and in a whole new atmosphere. Maybe not Beckham like numbers but damn good ones. Especially when you consider the way he started.

07-02-2009, 10:13 PM

Ha.

Rocky Soprano
07-02-2009, 11:26 PM

You never cease to amaze me.
Half a year and you are already saying we got burned.

JermaineDye05
07-02-2009, 11:36 PM
I would love for the Sox to get him, just to burn the Yanks/Red Sox/Mets. Who ESPN is saying will be all over him this offseason.

I don't see the Sox getting him though as I think he will command a ton of money, Daisuke money which I don't think the Sox will have. Plus I believe KW said something during Soxfest this year, when a Sox fan asked about Gomez and Marti, about it not being in the best of interest in the agent to work with just one team.

Now this doesn't necessarily mean the agent will not talk to the sox with Chapman, I just think it won't be as easy as it was to get Viciedo and Ramirez.

Beautox
07-03-2009, 12:30 AM

Glad your not running this team or farm

taken from Sox Machines Blog

No. 2: Dayan Viciedo (http://web.minorleaguebaseball.com/milb/stats/stats.jsp?pos=&sid=t247&t=p_pbp&pid=493364)
.276/.306/.381, 13 2B, 6 HR, 14 BB, 53 K in 294 AB

Viciedo's numbers still aren't impressive on the whole, but he's making every necessary improvement right now. Last month, it was all about the quality of his contact. This time around, it's his walks and strikeouts. Check it out:

April: 2 BB, 19 K
May: 3 BB, 23 K
June: 9 BB, 11 K

He also topped .400 in slugging for the first time in a month (.426), along with his career high in OBP (.342). He's still committing plenty of errors, but the Sox paid him to hit, and he's following the correct curve right now.

link (http://soxmachine.com/blogs/soxmachine/archive/2009/07/01/16641.aspx)

Dayan is 20 years old holding his own and had to deal with two huge culture shocks; being dropped off at AA what some consider the biggest jump in pro baseball outside of the show and coming to America as a whole.

month after month he has made adjustments and soon he will be going on a tear.

As for Chapman, as others have already mentioned we have a ton of money coming off the books and after the Wilder incident most of if not all our latin American operations are in shambles.

The cuban connection we've established is a wonderful way to bring in elite talent into our system; and it appears the sox have the inside track. I would love to see KW go after the following since we probaly won't be players in the rest of latin america for a few years.

LHP Noel Argüelles
LHP Aroldis Chapman
SS José Iglesias

doublem23
07-03-2009, 02:00 AM

I know you're not serious, but if anyone actually does hold this opinion, remember this is a 19-year-old kid who is completely readjusting his life to being in America. Even Jose Contreras, a grizzled veteran of the Cuban national team, had serious troubles when he first came to the United States, that held him from realizing his potential.

Give him some time.

hawkjt
07-03-2009, 09:31 AM
I know you're not serious, but if anyone actually does hold this opinion, remember this is a 19-year-old kid who is completely readjusting his life to being in America. Even Jose Contreras, a grizzled veteran of the Cuban national team, had serious troubles when he first came to the United States, that held him from realizing his potential.

Give him some time.

Cubans are not early season studs...we have established that with Alexei. But we can see they pick up steam as the season goes along and the weather gets hotter.

Question: Is it really as bad for the Sox latin america operations as portrayed? Are they really hated now or what?

Britt Burns
07-03-2009, 11:07 AM

If I may channel Hawk for a minute: Your what hurts? He's 20 in AA and has been improving seemingly with every game.

khan
07-03-2009, 11:12 AM
No. 2: Dayan Viciedo (http://web.minorleaguebaseball.com/milb/stats/stats.jsp?pos=&sid=t247&t=p_pbp&pid=493364)
.276/.306/.381, 13 2B, 6 HR, 14 BB, 53 K in 294 AB

He's still committing plenty of errors, but the Sox paid him to hit, and he's following the correct curve right now.

I don't know. Maybe I'm a bit of a stickler, but after the Josh Fields at 3rd Base Tragedy, I'd like to have players that can catch as well as hit. I hope he's improving with the glove inasmuch as he's improved at the plate.

The cuban connection we've established is a wonderful way to bring in elite talent into our system; and it appears the sox have the inside track. I would love to see KW go after the following since we probaly won't be players in the rest of latin america for a few years.

LHP Noel Argüelles
LHP Aroldis Chapman
SS José Iglesias
I thought he was an OF, no?

But I agree with your premise, in that I'd like our SOX to further the Cuban pipeline that's been established.

With First White Sox fan Obama likely to work on ending the trade embargo with Cuba, it would be nice to have a foot hold in Cuba ahead of the other MLB teams.

Over By There
07-03-2009, 11:25 AM
If KW doesn't get him, this will happen. The Yankees will throw a truck load of money for him. He'll sign and struggle for two years in New York, then KW will work out a trade and Chapman becomes a star with us.

It happened with Contreras, it can happen again.

This is what I was thinking as well.

thedudeabides
07-03-2009, 11:39 AM
Chapman is going to be an interesting case to follow. He needs to establish residency somewhere, so I doubt the bidding will start until the offseason.

He may come in as the hardest throwing lefty in baseball, but it sounds like he'll need to spend time in the minor leagues. He can top out at 102-103, but has control issues and hasn't harnessed his secondary pitches, so I've read. I remember watching him in the WBC and thinking this guy could be something else, but he's got a ways to go. I've read people throwing around $30 million or so. Obviously, just speculation, but that's a lot of cash.

When Jose and Dice-K came into the league they were finished products, and ready to step right into the rotation. Their contracts were large, but justified. I can't see giving that type of money to what is essentially still a prospect that needs development, maybe even a couple of years of it.

LoveYourSuit
07-03-2009, 11:45 AM
You cannot do that. It would be unenforceable term of his contract. This means you have to have Contreras, Ramirez and Viciedo on the 25 man roster no matter what. Kenny would not be able to trade any of them. The team could not send one of them down to AAA if warranted or DFA one of them.

You are also assuming he will be MLB ready. From what I read, he may need some conditioning and growing up.

The only thing that you can "guarantee" is that if Ozzie and Coop are still on the staff if and when he makes The Show, he'll have a manager and pitching coach who can speak Spanish.

You are getting way too technical. I should not have used the word "gurantee."

What I meant is discuss with him the potential of playing side by side with his countrymen. That would be our selling point.

TheVulture
07-03-2009, 12:12 PM
You never cease to amaze me.
Half a year and you are already saying we got burned.

Basically, we signed the equivalent of a high draft pick for 10 million. Beckham signed for 2.6 million, so even if Viciedo makes it, it wasn't exactly a good deal. It seems he's got a long way to go, though, considering his apparently god awful glove and high K rates. Still, I think KW signed him because he's got incredible talent, and he'll end up paying off, but still not the best deal.

dwalteroo
07-03-2009, 03:50 PM
Well, this is interesting.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=4304688

Rockabilly
07-03-2009, 04:21 PM
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2009/baseball/mlb/07/03/redsox.iglesias/

tick53
07-05-2009, 08:30 AM
I have a friend named Dave Chapman and he's not Cuban and is Mark Cuban a Cuban? Anyway, open the check book and get this guy. Cowley reported that he the best prospect in the world and Contreras and The Missle told KW that he's the real deal.

JermaineDye05
07-13-2009, 02:56 PM
Chapman has chosen an agent. The bad news is it's not the same guy as Alexei/Contreras/Viciedo. The good news is it isn't Borass.

Link (http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=4324481&campaign=rss&source=MLBHeadlines)

UChicagoHP
07-14-2009, 12:01 PM
Chapman is going to be an interesting case to follow. He needs to establish residency somewhere, so I doubt the bidding will start until the offseason.

He may come in as the hardest throwing lefty in baseball, but it sounds like he'll need to spend time in the minor leagues. He can top out at 102-103, but has control issues and hasn't harnessed his secondary pitches, so I've read. I remember watching him in the WBC and thinking this guy could be something else, but he's got a ways to go. I've read people throwing around $30 million or so. Obviously, just speculation, but that's a lot of cash.

When Jose and Dice-K came into the league they were finished products, and ready to step right into the rotation. Their contracts were large, but justified. I can't see giving that type of money to what is essentially still a prospect that needs development, maybe even a couple of years of it.

Agreed, Chapman and Strassburg are pretty equal in terms of potential/stuff/etc...

This will be an insane bidding war, and while the Sox do have some advantages other teams wish they also had(other Cubans for Chapman to live/work/play with, it's going to take $30-50 million to sign this freak of nature. If he gets with the right coach, I have no doubts that this kid will be a super-star before long, as his "stuff" is about as good as I've ever seen from a lefty at his age(although he is still extremely raw). Time will tell!

UChicagoHP
07-14-2009, 12:03 PM
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2009/baseball/mlb/07/03/redsox.iglesias/

This, imo, was a bad signing...guy projects as an Izturis type...