PDA

View Full Version : Happy Birthday Comiskey Park

SaltyPretzel
07-01-2009, 08:19 AM
Would have been 99 today.

http://memory.loc.gov/cgi-bin/query/I?cdn:8:./temp/~ammem_F4PC::displayType=1:m856sd=ichicdn:m856sf=s 008841:@@@mdb=mcc,gottscho,detr,nfor,wpa,aap,cwar, bbpix,cowellbib,calbkbib,consrvbib,bdsbib,dag,fsaa ll,gmd,pan,vv,presp,varstg,suffrg,nawbib,horyd,wtc ,toddbib,mgw,ncr,ngp,musdibib,hlaw,papr,lhbumbib,r bpebib,lbcoll,alad,hh,aaodyssey,magbell,bbcards,dc m,raelbib,runyon,dukesm,lomaxbib,mtj,gottlieb,aep, qlt,coolbib,fpnas,aasm,denn,relpet,amss,aaeo,mff,a fc911bib,mjm,mnwp,rbcmillerbib,molden,ww2map,mfdip bib,afcnyebib,klpmap,hawp,omhbib,rbaapcbib,mal,ncp sbib,ncpm,lhbprbib,ftvbib,afcreed,aipn,cwband,flwp abib,wpapos,cmns,psbib,pin,coplandbib,cola,tccc,cu rt,mharendt,lhbcbbib,eaa,haybib,mesnbib,fine,cwnyh s,svybib,mmorse,afcwwgbib,mymhiwebib,uncall,afcwip ,mtaft,manz,llstbib,fawbib,berl,fmuever,cdn,upbove rbib,mussm,cic,afcpearl,awh,awhbib,sgp,wright,lhbt nbib,afcesnbib,hurstonbib,mreynoldsbib,spaldingbib ,sgproto,scsmbib

RedHeadPaleHoser
07-01-2009, 08:54 AM
Great picture. :D:

Hitmen77
07-01-2009, 09:18 AM
:happybday

99 years at 35th and Shields. I hope the Sox have plans to mark their centennial at this location next year. As someone mentioned in another thread, if you consider that the old South Side Park was located just south of where The Cell is now, that's 109 seasons for the Sox within a block of their current home.

It's a shame that, IMO, Comiskey Park was never appreciated by any except us diehard fans until it was gone. While Comiskey was still standing, the common perception was that it was a crumbling dump. After it was gone, everyone suddenly said they loved the old park and it should never have been torn down.

I consider myself lucky to be old enough to remember going to a few games at Old Comiskey (though I wish I was old enough at the time to think about bringing a camera to take personal pictures of the place!). That being said, I think the Cell is great. I miss the old place, but have no regrets about the Sox now playing in a modern, fan friendly, attractive ballpark.

Sox
07-01-2009, 12:31 PM
:happybday :gulp:

SOXfnNlansing
07-01-2009, 04:04 PM
my computer won't open the picture:angry:

LITTLE NELL
07-01-2009, 04:15 PM
Me too.

Medford Bobby
07-01-2009, 05:23 PM
Wow, July 1st 1990 , the last birthday almost seems like yesterday.
I bought a 5 dollar general admission and watched Andy Hawkins pitch a no-hitter and he still loses the game!:happybday

Johnny Mostil
07-01-2009, 06:19 PM
I bought a 5 dollar general admission and watched Andy Hawkins pitch a no-hitter and he still loses the game!:happybday

That game was the third date I had with the lady who became my wife. I think she's quit asking herself why she had a fourth date, but I don't push the subject.

Unrelated fact I had not known: 7/1/90 was Greg Walker (http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/w/walkegr01.shtml)'s last game (for the O's).

grenda12
07-01-2009, 07:04 PM
Me too.

Me Three

LongLiveFisk
07-01-2009, 07:09 PM

A lot of great memories of that place. I think at the end it only cost $3 for a bleacher seat. No wonder people long for the old days. :shakehead:

Hitmen77
07-01-2009, 08:56 PM

The picture worked for me earlier, but doesn't work now.

PopsBrechtel
07-02-2009, 12:40 PM
Ahhhh, the memories! :happybday

DumpJerry
07-02-2009, 12:47 PM
It's a shame that, IMO, Comiskey Park was never appreciated by any except us diehard fans until it was gone.
It was my summer home. I was there more often than my real home during the summer.

Regarding Hawkins' no-no: It was foreseeable that something like that would have happened on that day. It was Comiskey's last birthday, so the Sox had to win. It was also the Yank's last visit to the Palace, so they needed something to show for it since they are one of the oldest franchises around. A deal was cut among those who control these things (Chuck Comiskey, Casey Stengel, etc.) to give each team something to brag about that day.

tebman
07-02-2009, 01:57 PM
That 7/1/90 game was wild. I saw it on TV that day and couldn't believe how that unfolded when Leyritz dropped the ball. I remember Hawkins being interviewed after the game (he threw a no-hitter, after all), and he looked like a guy who just found that his tire was flat. Had to feel sorry for him.

I echo all the fond memories of the old ballpark, but sad as it was, there was no question in my mind that its time was over. It had all the same mechanical and structural problems Wrigley Field has now, and without a top-to-bottom rebuilding it wasn't going to get any better.

Fortunately there are enough of us around to write about it and there are plenty of pictures showing it when it was our home. Happy Birthday, old friend!

tacosalbarojas
07-02-2009, 10:20 PM
Someone find that pic!!!

thechico
07-03-2009, 10:31 AM

It's a shame that, IMO, Comiskey Park was never appreciated by any except us diehard fans until it was gone. While Comiskey was still standing, the common perception was that it was a crumbling dump. After it was gone, everyone suddenly said they loved the old park and it should never have been torn down.

I miss it as much as anyone here. What irks me even more is that when the new place opened, it was heralded as new and a big improvement. Then, over the course of a decade, the new place became "sterile" and the dump on the other side of town became "historic". :angry:
I do like the recent improvements though. Yes, I like green seats.

roylestillman
07-03-2009, 11:06 AM
Someone find that pic!!!

Don't know what pic that was, but it came from this site:

http://memory.loc.gov/ammem/cdnquery.html

If you search Comiskey Park you'll get thousands of pics from the old park. This site is the photo archive of the old Chicago Daily News from about 1902 through 1933. You'll be on it for hours...

tick53
07-05-2009, 08:38 AM
Happy Birthday Old Park. I grew up in that place and it gave me a lifetime of great memories. "Big Bertha", Andy The Clown, the Roman arches, the old players and the atmosphere it provided. The Cell is great but I still miss Old Comiskey.

MeteorsSox4367
07-07-2009, 01:15 PM
A belated Happy Birthday to a place that I loved dearly and held a lot of great memories of Sox and Sting (seriously) games.

I worked there in high school in 1984-85 and those were some great memories. I drive past 35th and Shields almost every day on the way home and I still take a look at the corner.

Like someone else posted, the Cell has gotten a lot better and I love being there, but Comiskey was Comiskey.

WhiteSoxJunkie
07-07-2009, 02:16 PM
[QUOTE=Hitmen77;2276106]

As someone mentioned in another thread, if you consider that the old South Side Park was located just south of where The Cell is now, that's 109 seasons for the Sox within a block of their current home.

QUOTE]

The White Sox, in fact, hold the record in the 4 major sports for most consecutive seasons playing home games in the same neighborhood.