PDA

View Full Version : *Official* Sox dump Toons, climb back over .500! 6/30 Postgame Thread

Sockinchisox
06-30-2009, 10:01 PM
Discuss.

chisoxfanatic
06-30-2009, 10:02 PM
:hawk
"And this ballgame is OVAH!!! HELL YES!"

gobears1987
Fire Greg Walker

ChiSox89
sox win!!!!!!!!!! back over the .500 mark, yessssssssss:bandance::bandance::bandance:

soxnut1018
4 in a row! :bliss:
kM7C_yNlCLU

CWSpalehoseCWS
06-30-2009, 10:03 PM
Hell yeah! Now to complete the sweep.

KyWhiSoxFan
Who'd of thunk it? A complete game by Richard. LOL.

JermaineDye05
Beckham is starting to look very special these last couple of games.

NDSox12
06-30-2009, 10:04 PM
Above .500 for the first time since early May.

If someone only saw the Sox play this past week, they would have to think the Sox are one of the best clutch hitting teams in the league. The two out RBIs are great to see and hopefully will continue.

That's a huge win over a pitcher who had been nearly unhittable in recent starts. Also, it's always nice to win when you have your #5 starter going against the opponent's ace.

voodoochile
06-30-2009, 10:05 PM
Sox win by 7 in 7 while Beckham has his reach base safely streak halted at 7.

Over .500, been a long time since we could say that. Pretty freaking cool...

:soxwin:

:)

Baron
06-30-2009, 10:06 PM
YES!!!! HELL YES!!!!!:bandance:

JB98
06-30-2009, 10:07 PM
Richard threw the ball pretty well tonight. He had a little mental lapse in the fifth inning, trying to hurry to get three outs before the rain came. But his stuff was good. I think the Sox are a better team with him in rotation, as opposed to a retread like Colon.

Getz had the biggest hit of the night, the two-out, two-run double that made it 6-1 in the third. That hit established that this was the Sox night. Beckham, of course, is swinging great. And Nix, Anderson and Fields all hit some balls hard, too.

Good night for the Sox, winning a game over the opposition's ace.

ChiSox89
06-30-2009, 10:08 PM
I like what I am seeing in Gordon Beckham. His average is up around .260 now and he is absouletly killing the ball. Keep it goin Gordon.

Tragg
06-30-2009, 10:08 PM
Pretty good pitching by Richard....4 hits, 6 Ks, 1BB.

He's an improved pitcher this year - not fully together yet - but getting there.

Sox did what they needed to do - pound the garb.

Soxman219
06-30-2009, 10:09 PM
Complete the sweep tomorrow!:bandance::bandance::bandance::bandance:: bandance:

tstrike2000
06-30-2009, 10:09 PM
Wow, great to be above .500. The offense lead by Bacon were awesome.

october23sp
06-30-2009, 10:10 PM
Question for true baseball stat junkies. And maybe this page is just wrong. But why does Cleveland have the X in the bottom of the 7th as if they had a lead. Did they concede defeat and not bat? Because couldn't they have truly just not counted stats that happened in the top of the 7th?

http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/news/boxscore.jsp?gid=2009_06_30_chamlb_clemlb_1

I don't know, I just have never seen a losing team get that X in the bottom of the inning in a game they lose.

TDog
06-30-2009, 10:10 PM
Nice to see Richard pitch a complete game.

ChiSox89
06-30-2009, 10:11 PM
Now lets go for the sweep tommorow!!!

TDog
06-30-2009, 10:11 PM
Question for true baseball stat junkies. And maybe this page is just wrong. But why does Cleveland have the X in the bottom of the 7th as if they had a lead. Did they concede defeat and not bat. Because couldn't they have truly just not counted stats that happened in the top of the 7th?

http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/news/boxscore.jsp?gid=2009_06_30_chamlb_clemlb_1

I don't know, I just have never seen a losing team get that X in the bottom of the inning in a game they lose.

The X shows the Indians didn't hit in the bottom of the inning. The notes accompanyng the linescore notes that they didn't have a chance.

DirtySox
06-30-2009, 10:12 PM
Nice to see the bottom half of the order get some hits. I hope it continues!

october23sp
06-30-2009, 10:14 PM
The X shows the Indians didn't hit in the bottom of the inning. The notes accompanyng the linescore notes that they didn't have a chance.

Didn't have a chance, ay? http://mlb.mlb.com/news/boxscore.jsp?gid=2009_04_18_clemlb_nyamlb_1

14 runs in one inning. I'm sorry I'm being stubborn, but was it MLB or the Indians that decided they didn't have a chance?

jabrch
06-30-2009, 10:15 PM
This is not a GREAT team. But it isn't nearly as bad as some of our "fans" would like you to believe it is.

We can hit and we can pitch. Thats a big chunk of the game right there.

NDSox12
06-30-2009, 10:17 PM
Didn't have a chance, ay? http://mlb.mlb.com/news/boxscore.jsp?gid=2009_04_18_clemlb_nyamlb_1

14 runs in one inning. I'm sorry I'm being stubborn, but was it MLB or the Indians that decided they didn't have a chance?

They simply did not bat in the bottom of the 7th, thus the 'X'. It's not like they forfeited. It just never happened. It's not a matter of if they "had a chance" to make a comeback.

voodoochile
06-30-2009, 10:17 PM

Didn't have a chance to hit, not didn't have a chance to win. Of course being they were behind they didn't have a chance to win since they didn't get the chance to bat.

Them's the rules. They were losing prior to the beginning of the 7th and the game got called due to rain before the 7th ended, thus the X.

veeter
06-30-2009, 10:19 PM
As giddy as I am over the young guys, (quietly Chris Getz is kicking a little ass too), I have to give kudos to Pauly and Jermaine. Big homerun by Konerko to build the early lead. After last season, he's come back to be the class act leader again.

october23sp
06-30-2009, 10:20 PM
Didn't have a chance to hit, not didn't have a chance to win. Of course being they were behind they didn't have a chance to win since they didn't get the chance to bat.

Them's the rules. They were losing prior to the beginning of the 7th and the game got called due to rain before the 7th ended, thus the X.

Hm, I always thought if the home team didn't get to bat in the bottom of the inning in a game they were losing, the whole inning was discarded.

Thank you WSI for filling me in, learn something new everyday.

voodoochile
06-30-2009, 10:22 PM
Hm, I always thought if the home team didn't get to bat in the bottom of the inning in a game they were losing, the whole inning was discarded.

Thank you WSI for filling me in, learn something new everyday.

I don't know but it doesn't matter from an outcome perspective. The Sox didn't grab the lead in the top of the 7th. It maybe that because that's the case all stats count, but I honestly never considered the rule before.

Edit: In addition those box scores you are looking at now are far from official. When they become official they may indeed role back the top of the 7th stats. I don't know the answer to that question. Check back in a few days on the official site and see if it's been changed.

veeter
This is not a GREAT team. But it isn't nearly as bad as some of our "fans" would like you to believe it is.

We can hit and we can pitch. Thats a big chunk of the game right there.I agree. And I'll add, whether fans believe in it or not, but Kenny has compiled another group of good guys, who like to play together. This team has chemistry.

hawkjt
This was about the perfect game. Sox win. They only use one pitcher..for only 6 innings while in the middle of a long stretch of games..bullpen rests,our 5th starter wins beating a top opposing pitcher who has the sox number,everybody gets a knock,and we cruise to an easy win...everybody will get a good dinner and come back ready to pounce on their 4th starter while we have a hot pitcher on the mound for the sweep.
Happy sox camper here. Broom time,Sox. The next 11 games can be the turning point in the season. Make it happen!!

TDog
06-30-2009, 10:23 PM

The Indians didn't have a chance because it was raining.

On May 25, the Indians were losing to the Rays 10-2 going into the bottom of the eight. The Indians scored two there and seven in the ninth to win the game. Fortunately, tonight they didn't have the chance.

it is convention to put an X in a half inning in which a team doesn't come up to bat. It's no big deal.

MtGrnwdSoxFan
06-30-2009, 10:24 PM
This was about the perfect game. Sox win. They only use one pitcher..for only 6 innings while in the middle of a long stretch of games..bullpen rests,our 5th starter wins beating a top opposing pitcher who has the sox number,everybody gets a knock,and we cruise to an easy win...everybody will get a good dinner and come back ready to pounce on their 4th starter while we have a hot pitcher on the mound for the sweep.
Happy sox camper here. Broom time,Sox. The next 9 games can be the turning point in the season. Make it happen!!

Let's make it two games over tomorrow, and get the Wahoos to send their players to the bargain bin, posthaste.

october23sp
06-30-2009, 10:28 PM
If we sweep tommorow, we better sweep in Chicago.

cws05champ
06-30-2009, 10:29 PM
Richard was decent and the offense was dominant tonight. Beckham has me really excited about the future!!!

doublem23
06-30-2009, 10:29 PM

After a game has started, the umps have sole discretion in whether or not to call a game. After 5 complete innings, a game is official, so if it is called early, those innings will not be played. Different than if the game was tied, in which case I believe the game would be suspended and have to be finished at a later date (a la the game with the Orioles last year).

It has nothing to do with how much of a "chance'" the umps think they have to come back, after 5 complete innings, if the umpires think the field is no longer suitable for play they can call the game.

chisox77
06-30-2009, 10:30 PM
Nice stretch of baseball for the White Sox since that horrible homestand a few weeks ago. The team is resilient. Hopefully, they can stack some more wins together to build a decent record before the all-star break.

Rohan
06-30-2009, 10:30 PM
My confidence is slowly but surely returning to this team.

doublem23
06-30-2009, 10:32 PM

:rolleyes:

It was kind of funny the first time. The twentieth time, not as much.

I hope you stretch that arm out before you pat yourself on the back.

Lip Man 1
06-30-2009, 10:32 PM
That's 12 of 17.

Lip

PhillipsBubba
06-30-2009, 10:33 PM
I give up...I don't know what to think of this team.

I can say they have looked superb the last three games...I guess I should just sit back and enjoy the ride:D:

http://laundelles.files.wordpress.com/2009/01/monks_roller_coaster.jpg

doublem23
06-30-2009, 10:34 PM
That's 12 of 17.

Lip

Another very nice little streak. Hopefully they can avoid a complete collapse when they inevitably cool down again (like last time).

JB98
06-30-2009, 10:34 PM
If we sweep tommorow, we better sweep in Chicago.

Especially since we'll likely miss Lee in Chicago. I know we kicked his ass tonight, but you figure Lee will give the Indians their best chance to win more often than not.

This 10-game stretch against Cleveland and Kansas City will be interesting. So far, the Sox are 2-0. I want to see 8-2, 7-3 minimum.

If we're gonna win the division, it's important to beat up these horrendous teams. We still have our fair share of games against powerful AL East squads the second half of the season. Need to make a move now.

DSpivack
06-30-2009, 10:36 PM
Especially since we'll likely miss Lee in Chicago. I know we kicked his ass tonight, but you figure Lee will give the Indians their best chance to win more often than not.

This 10-game stretch against Cleveland and Kansas City will be interesting. So far, the Sox are 2-0. I want to see 8-2, 7-3 minimum.

If we're gonna win the division, it's important to beat up these horrendous teams. We still have our fair share of games against powerful AL East squads the second half of the season. Need to make a move now.

Yeah, I am not looking forward to that August stretch at Fenway, at Yankee Stadium, and at the Humpdome.

chisoxfanatic
06-30-2009, 10:40 PM
I can say they have looked superb the last three games...I guess I should just sit back and enjoy the ride:D:
:hawk
"Ahem! That's sit back, relax, and strap it down!"

I don't know about you, but I think the division will come down to the last weekend in Detroit.

JB98
06-30-2009, 10:41 PM
Yeah, I am not looking forward to that August stretch at Fenway, at Yankee Stadium, and at the Humpdome.

That shapes up as one of the toughest road trips in years: The two East Coast free-spenders and our personal house of horrors in Minny. And the makeup game with the Cubs is being added on to the end of that trip.

That stretch will be difficult, especially since the Sox will go 20 days without a day off during that time.

JB98
06-30-2009, 10:42 PM
I don't know about you, but I think the division will come down to the last weekend in Detroit.

Right now, I would take that.

Tragg
06-30-2009, 10:43 PM

Yep
And then we go to the concrete-dome. And all will be revealed.

The Immigrant
06-30-2009, 10:46 PM
I thought this was an automatic loss with Pods and Thome out of the lineup and Richard pitching? :tongue:

chisoxfanatic
That shapes up as one of the toughest road trips in years: The two East Coast free-spenders and our personal house of horrors in Minny. And the makeup game with the Cubs is being added on to the end of that trip.

That stretch will be difficult, especially since the Sox will go 20 days without a day off during that time.
And then they come home to play a 4-gamer with Boston right after that!

voodoochile

Interesting graphic you picked there. One of the central beliefs to many eastern religions is that in life, the journey IS the destination. As opposed to more western religions which teach that the afterlife is the destination and the life journey is how it is determined what form our destination will take.

Rooting for sports teams I prefer to take the viewpoint that the journey is indeed the destination and should I get a fun afterlife (read: postseason success) it is a bonus, not the only thing I was striving for or the only reason I spent 6 months following a team. Enjoy the day to day up and downs of the season. Root for the team because it gives you pleasure to do so. Watch games because it's great entertainment and will constantly surprise you with odd plays and/or outcomes. Then at the end of the year you can still say you had fun regardless of whether the team takes home the ultimate prize.

jabrch
06-30-2009, 10:47 PM
:rolleyes:

It was kind of funny the first time. The twentieth time, not as much.

I'll try harder next time to make you laugh. On second thought...I don't care much.

I hope you stretch that arm out before you pat yourself on the back.

Nothing to do with that. The team deserves the credit or the blame. I'm just enjoying the ride regardless of how it plays out.

jabrch
06-30-2009, 10:48 PM
Interesting graphic you picked there. One of the central beliefs to many eastern religions is that in life, the journey IS the destination. As opposed to more western religions which teach that the afterlife is the destination and the life journey is how it is determined what form our destination will take.

Rooting for sports teams I prefer to take the viewpoint that the journey is indeed the destination and should I get a fun afterlife (read: postseason success) it is a bonus, not the only thing I was striving for or the only reason I spent 6 months following a team. Enjoy the day to day up and downs of the season. Root for the team because it gives you pleasure to do so. Watch games because it's great entertainment and will constantly surprise you with odd plays and/or outcomes. Then at the end of the year you can still say you had fun regardless of whether the team takes home the ultimate prize.

Great post Voo. If you measure a season in a binary manner, with WS Wins being the measure, you will be disappointed almost all the time, and you will miss what (IMHO) makes this game so much fun. I hate losing. But I'm not going to let that get in my way of enjoying winning.

kitekrazy
06-30-2009, 10:52 PM

It's the fielding that's gonna kill 'em. They haven't played the best baseball but their opponents on many occasions decide to play worse the Sox capitalized on it.

I enjoyed watching them have to play under NL rules. Sometimes our pitchers surprise you when they have to hit. Maybe you have to give some credit to Walker there.

mccoydp
06-30-2009, 10:54 PM
The Sox are looking good (again). Beckham's going to be a stud if he keeps this quality of play up. It's good to watch a blowout; go for the sweep tomorrow.

:winner

Hitmen77
06-30-2009, 10:55 PM
Who'd of thunk it? A complete game by Richard. LOL.

Rain shortened...but who cares! The important end result is the same - a much needed night off for our bullpen while the Sox rack up a win.

doublem23
06-30-2009, 10:55 PM
Maybe you have to give some credit to Walker there.

I'm sure Walk is spending hours a day getting our pitchers ready for the 20 plate appearances they accumulated this year.

SoxFan1979
06-30-2009, 10:56 PM
http://tbn0.google.com/images?q=tbn:GyugaDjOAgqAhM:http://rlv.zcache.com/super_bacon_dark_tshirt-p235983554490641746qqq6_400.jpg :dtroll::bandance::dtroll:

jabrch
06-30-2009, 10:57 PM
It's the fielding that's gonna kill 'em.

I wouldn't say it is a forgone conclusion that they will get killed - but from what we see, if that were to happen, the only possible way I see it would be the fielding.

That said, we have a lot of upside defensively as our entire left side of the IF is new to their position at the MLB level, we are no longer going to watch Fields at 3B every day, and once we get TCQ back, we will likely not have to see Wise play defense much anymore. (sure - Pods is worse in CF...but TCQ is a better LF than Pods) It's not impossible, in fact, I'd say it is likely, that we will play better D in the second half than we did in the first. Can we play worse D? I guess that too is possible.

Tragg
06-30-2009, 10:58 PM
I agree with you there...and that's especially true in baseball.
And for me, the 3 teams I really root for in the world of sports, I'd go insane if I didn't take that approach. The Sox tower over the other 2 in terms of W/L.

Hitmen77
06-30-2009, 10:58 PM
Question for true baseball stat junkies. And maybe this page is just wrong. But why does Cleveland have the X in the bottom of the 7th as if they had a lead. Did they concede defeat and not bat? Because couldn't they have truly just not counted stats that happened in the top of the 7th?

If I'm not mistaken, I think for rain-shortened games that go long enough to be official they used to lop off any stats from incomplete innings and revert back to the last full inning. I thought they changed this at some point to allow stats to count from partial innings (as long as it doesn't affect the outcome of the game).

I may be totally wrong about this, but that is what I seem to remember.

DumpJerry
06-30-2009, 10:59 PM
Fire Greg Walker
Maybe he got fired last week and the team forgot to tell us?

Just to point out to all the Walker Haters out there who want him fired, look at the Cubs. They fired their hitting coach (who was apparantly a stud last year with the high powered offense) recently and they are still playing like crap at The Plate. It is soooo clear firing the hitting coach cures all which ails a baseball team. :rolleyes:

Dibbs
06-30-2009, 11:18 PM
Brian in, Sox win or Dwayne out, Sox rout?

Great game to watch! Beckham is looking unbelievable.

october23sp
06-30-2009, 11:20 PM
Brian in, Sox win or Dwayne out, Sox rout?

Great game to watch! Beckham is looking unbelievable.

Neither. Richard pitches, we'll get them bitches.

JB98
06-30-2009, 11:22 PM

Well, the Sox are 6-4 when Richard starts. That's not too bad.

voodoochile
06-30-2009, 11:23 PM

All the little chicks in the crimson lips
Know that Cleveland Sucks
They know that Cleveland sucks

MtGrnwdSoxFan
06-30-2009, 11:34 PM
I hated that show.

BadBobbyJenks
07-01-2009, 01:06 AM
I'll tell you what, this Gordon Beckham kid, he is pretty good.

Foulke You
07-01-2009, 01:13 AM
Chris Getz has also been quietly hitting the ball all over the yard as well. It's really nice to see the youngsters produce. Getz has had a few hot streaks like this before and then tailed off. I'm hoping this one is a prolonged one. If we keep getting production from the bottom of the order, this lineup could be very good as it has been lately.

I know the Indians aren't a very good team but I'm starting to believe a bit more in our Sox now anyway. As with most Sox fans, cautious optimism is always the rule of the day. Let's go on a huge 2nd half path of destruction through the AL and leave .500 in the rear view mirror. :gulp:

guillensdisciple
07-01-2009, 01:55 AM

Chris Getz has also been quietly hitting the ball all over the yard as well. It's really nice to see the youngsters produce. Getz has had a few hot streaks like this before and then tailed off. I'm hoping this one is a prolonged one. If we keep getting production from the bottom of the order, this lineup could be very good as it has been lately.

I know the Indians aren't a very good team but I'm starting to believe a bit more in our Sox now anyway. As with most Sox fans, cautious optimism is always the rule of the day. Let's go on a huge 2nd half path of destruction through the AL and leave .500 in the rear view mirror. :gulp:

If the young guys produce the White Sox will be a really dangerous team. I have said it all year, and I will stick to it.

Beckham is unbelievable, and will anchor the offense with Quentin for years to come. Kenny is a genius, and I am excited to see what this Sox team will do.

Go White Sox!! Lets take what is ours and win another one for the proud fans of the White Sox!!

Mohoney
07-01-2009, 02:09 AM

Let's not go crazy with the "we can hit" thing. We're 10th in the AL in OBP, 11th in SLG, 11th in AVG, 11th in R, and 12th in H. The only major category where we are in the top 5 is HR, where we are 5th.

I agree with you 100% about the pitching. I think it's the best in the division by a pretty sizable margin. However, saying that "we can hit" is not entirely accurate, because most of the other teams in this league hit better than we do.

balke
07-01-2009, 05:04 AM
You can tell Josh does NOT like this Beckham situation still. That homerun after Beckham hit one he looked fired up. Nothing wrong with some friendly competition. Maybe we can find a cross between spring training Josh and 2007 josh.

WhiteSox1989
07-01-2009, 07:01 AM
Hell yes!

Get 'em tonight, boys!:bandance:

jabrch
07-01-2009, 07:34 AM
Let's not go crazy with the "we can hit" thing. We're 10th in the AL in OBP, 11th in SLG, 11th in AVG, 11th in R, and 12th in H. The only major category where we are in the top 5 is HR, where we are 5th.

Mohoney - we have SEEN the team hit - and not for just a game or two. We CAN hit. Will we score 5+ runs in every game? Or course not. Will we get shut down as many times as we did in the first half? I doubt it.

There is offensive talent on this team. They CAN hit.

Chez
07-01-2009, 07:43 AM
I can't recall a game in which the Sox hit as many rockets -- line drives all over the ballpark.

RedHeadPaleHoser
07-01-2009, 08:03 AM
I am happy to see Beckham do well and Getz make contact. Playing sub par teams like Cleveland and KC, it's important to have these guys feel confidence and see success so it carries a mindset of ability to a solid at bat against a better opponent.

What I want tonight is run support for Jose. Give him 4 runs and he can put Cleveland to bed.

October26
07-01-2009, 08:12 AM
I am happy to see Beckham do well and Getz make contact. Playing sub par teams like Cleveland and KC, it's important to have these guys feel confidence and see success so it carries a mindset of ability to a solid at bat against a better opponent.

What I want tonight is run support for Jose. Give him 4 runs and he can put Cleveland to bed.

That makes two of us! Last night's game was really fun to watch (minus the rain delays, of course). The Sox bats came alive. Keep it going!

Hitmen77
07-01-2009, 09:05 AM

This most recent hot streak has been all vs. NL teams plus 2 games against the last place Indians. Don't get me wrong, I think the Sox have the potential to be a very good team....especially if Beckham keeps surging and Quentin can come back and play anything even close to how he performed last year. I'm happy and cautiously optimistic, but I'm not ready to guzzle the koolaid just yet.

The Sox will have some tough games on the schedule coming up in the next 2 months. We have six games at the House of Horrors Dome in July. The road trip at the end of August looks brutal. 10 games all against the Yankees, Red Sox, and their final 3 games ever in the HumpDome.

The one thing I hope the Sox manage to do is improve their shoddy defense. It's been downright brutal at times!

As far as this game goes, great win! Any time you can beat up a great pitcher like Cliff Lee, you have to feel good about the team's performance. Like I said earlier, I'm glad to see the bullpen get a night off.

thedudeabides
07-01-2009, 09:33 AM

I agree with you 100% about the pitching. I think it's the best in the division by a pretty sizable margin. However, saying that "we can hit" is not entirely accurate, because most of the other teams in this league hit better than we do.

But, they are trending upwards. It's going to take some time for the hitting to show up in the league standings. They dug a big hole early. Shouldn't there be some leeway given in the rankings for the Sox having to play Lillibridge early in the season?

And great outing by Richard. I feel like he was just trying to rush through the fifth inning, when he gave up the three runs. The other innigs he pitched, he looked really good.

ode to veeck
07-01-2009, 09:33 AM
The Sox will have some tough games on the schedule coming up in the next 2 months. We have six games at the House of Horrors Dome in July. The road trip at the end of August looks brutal. 10 games all against the Yankees, Red Sox, and their final 3 games ever in the HumpDome.

When we look back on 2009, that late summer stretch could very well be the make or break grading of the '09 Sox. The defence on paper has a lot of upside potential, but it certainly ain't anywhere near blooming yet.

voodoochile
07-01-2009, 10:15 AM

Ah but the Sox were 4th in the AL and 8th in the majors in OPS for June at .784. That's why people are being optimistic about the hitting. Yeah, the first two months mostly sucked. Then came that disastrous homestand to open the month. Since then a good portion of the losses have been by 1 run and the team's clearly been performing better at the plate and TCQ still isn't back yet...

doublem23
07-01-2009, 11:04 AM
Ah but the Sox were 4th in the AL and 8th in the majors in OPS for June at .784. That's why people are being optimistic about the hitting. Yeah, the first two months mostly sucked. Then came that disastrous homestand to open the month. Since then a good portion of the losses have been by 1 run and the team's clearly been performing better at the plate and TCQ still isn't back yet...

Agreed. With Podsednik playing great at lead-off, Beckham and Getz hitting in the lower 3rd, and hopefully a healthy TCQ coming back soon, this team suddenly looks very, very dangerous.

34 Inch Stick
07-01-2009, 11:06 AM

The results that have me optimistic are the recent beatings of Billingsly, Zambrano and Lee. Those are three All Star quality pitchers who were all pitching at the top of their game before meeting the Sox and the Sox put up significant numbers on each of them.

voodoochile
07-01-2009, 11:07 AM
Agreed. With Podsednik playing great at lead-off, Beckham and Getz hitting in the lower 3rd, and hopefully a healthy TCQ coming back soon, this team suddenly looks very, very dangerous.

Anytime your bottom third of the order goes from BA, Fields, Getz (combined OPS ~ .640) to AJ, Beckham, Getz (combined OPS ~ .720 and climbing) it's a really good thing...

Bob G
07-01-2009, 12:01 PM
The team is looking much better but I still feel we need some bullpen help. I don't think we can rely on Linebrink and Dotel... and Gobble is just taking up a roster spot. I hope KW can make a deal for a solid lefty set up guy.

jabrch
07-01-2009, 12:59 PM
The team is looking much better but I still feel we need some bullpen help. I don't think we can rely on Linebrink and Dotel... and Gobble is just taking up a roster spot. I hope KW can make a deal for a solid lefty set up guy.

We don't rely on Linebrink and Dotel. Thornton and DJ have both been very effective and Poreda has looked good so far in limited time.

If KW is making deals to add to this team, I wouldn't expect he is focusing on the pen.

Mohoney
07-01-2009, 01:04 PM
I'm hoping Poreda becomes the solid lefty setup guy.

Bob G
07-01-2009, 05:14 PM
We don't rely on Linebrink and Dotel. Thornton and DJ have both been very effective and Poreda has looked good so far in limited time.

If KW is making deals to add to this team, I wouldn't expect he is focusing on the pen.

Without a solid bullpen there's little chance to win the AL Central. So why wouldn't KW look to improve? There must be someone better than Gobble available (at least I hope there is).

jabrch
07-01-2009, 06:09 PM
Without a solid bullpen there's little chance to win the AL Central. So why wouldn't KW look to improve? There must be someone better than Gobble available (at least I hope there is).

I'm sure there is - but if we have money and prospects to give up, we have bigger needs than last man in the pen.