PDA

View Full Version : OK, Gordon Beckham.....

SOXfnNlansing
06-30-2009, 08:55 PM
Since Beckham has hit 6-7 in this Jndian series so far, he has raised his batting average from .206 on June 28th to .267 today. That's pretty impressive since he was hitting .172 on June 25th. Credit given for credit due, for what it's worth!

http://mlb.mlb.com/stats/individual_player_gamebygamelog.jsp?c_id=cws&playerID=493596&statType=1

luke4me1st
06-30-2009, 09:06 PM
just like that!

chisoxfanatic
06-30-2009, 09:08 PM
It's like at the beginning of the school year when you don't have many assignments in the grade book, so doing really well in one assignment will raise that grade much more rapidly. Hopefully this will continue.

SOXfnNlansing
06-30-2009, 09:20 PM
I liked his last hit; a solo home run to left when he was just swinging away trying to get 5 innings in before the rain came........

6 hits in a row, including a walk sandwiched in there is pretty impressive. It is just notable to see him batting .060 when he was 1-14 or whatever it was, and now he's hitting a respectable .260 something within a couple weeks.

DirtySox
06-30-2009, 09:22 PM
Gordon has looked great lately, but this is still a very small sample size. Let the gushing continue if he continues to hit throughout July.

Chicken Dinner
06-30-2009, 09:22 PM
Thank God the whole team has started hitting.

TheVulture
06-30-2009, 09:32 PM
Beckham is now hitting .375 with 7 walks over his last 15 games. 13 RBI over that span as well. That'll work.

CWSpalehoseCWS
06-30-2009, 09:49 PM
It was only a matter of time before he got comfortable and started hitting like we all knew he could.

Tragg
06-30-2009, 09:59 PM
Several Sox young players are improving. They don't all have to hit in the first week.

If you put Richard's ERA next to some 32 year old veteran, he'd be lauded around here.

Keep it up, Gordon.

gobears1987
06-30-2009, 10:00 PM
If we all piss our pants and blame Greg Walker when things go badly with a player, do we also give him credit when he helps a player adjust to big league hitting?

That being said, I'm really excited about Bacon.

veeter
06-30-2009, 10:15 PM
You could see Gordon was for real in spring training. Strong players with short, quick swings, who make tons of contact, make the best hitters. I'm sure I'm not alone in saying- you could tell it was just a matter of time. And not all that much time either.

DumpJerry
06-30-2009, 10:35 PM
Well it's obvious Walker got fired, but the Sox never issued a press release about it happening.

DumpJerry
06-30-2009, 10:36 PM
That being said, I'm really excited about Bacon.
Kosher bacon?

DSpivack
06-30-2009, 10:37 PM
Kosher bacon?

Well, turkey bacon [or venison bacon, for that matter], might be kosher. And we already have Gobble.

doublem23
06-30-2009, 10:38 PM
Kosher bacon?

You need to stop fighting it.

http://www.caswells-moms.com/e-shop/images/Oscar%20Mayer%20Bacon%20Strips.jpg

Shoeless
06-30-2009, 10:39 PM
Well it's obvious Walker got fired, but the Sox never issued a press release about it happening.

Or maybe he died and was replaced with an exact look-alike! After all, he was barefoot on the Abbey Road album cover!

SephClone89
06-30-2009, 10:40 PM
Or maybe he died and was replaced with an exact look-alike! After all, he was barefoot on the Abbey Road album cover!

Teal.

chisoxfanatic
06-30-2009, 10:42 PM
They did, but it was put on the back burner to more Lou Pinella news.

chisox77
06-30-2009, 10:42 PM
Beckham looks great. And even at the start, it was fun watching him learn and adjust. Young players need time to do that. Hopefully, he will continue to improve. But he sure looks confident at the plate.

cws05champ
06-30-2009, 10:45 PM
When is the next debate on whether the Sox are ruining this kid by brining him up early? I know it's only been a few weeks but can we all agree that he should be OK?

oeo
06-30-2009, 10:52 PM

He should still be fired. :shrug:

munchman33
07-01-2009, 09:18 AM
I'll be eating seitan bacon for brunch on sunday in celebration of his accomplishments! And also bloody marys. But those are for me. :gulp:

KenBerryGrab
07-01-2009, 09:28 AM
Bacon is sizzling!

ode to veeck
07-01-2009, 09:29 AM

as illegible as this failed teal attempt is, it is a lot easier to read than any sentence with the word Bacon in it not about food

Ron Karkovice
07-01-2009, 09:44 AM
When is the next debate on whether the Sox are ruining this kid by brining him up early? I know it's only been a few weeks but can we all agree that he should be OK?

I'm waiting to see more hindsight arguments about how he should have been brought up much earlier.

TheDeacon
07-01-2009, 09:44 AM
I can't believe I am the first to post something like this, and if I am not I apologize. But can someone with better capabilities turn this into something of higher quality? he already has the Kevin Bacon hair, too perfect

TheDeacon
07-01-2009, 09:46 AM
"They said he'd never win"
"He knew he had to."

TDog
07-01-2009, 10:06 AM
If we all piss our pants and blame Greg Walker when things go badly with a player, do we also give him credit when he helps a player adjust to big league hitting? ...

I was thinking the same thing. Walker worked hard with Joe Crede to make him a major league hitter, and when the Sox brougtht up Beckham to learn at the major league level while providing third base defense the team didn't have, it meant he would be working with Walker.

I didn't have any problem with that aspect of the callup, though, beccause I respect Walker as a hitting coach.

voodoochile
07-01-2009, 10:33 AM
Not a big fan of the nickname, but I saw this add today and thought it was appropriate...

http://cache.fimservecdn.com/contents/108/344/344108/Baconbetter_160by600_1.jpg

DonnieDarko
07-01-2009, 11:47 AM
I can't believe I am the first to post something like this, and if I am not I apologize. But can someone with better capabilities turn this into something of higher quality? he already has the Kevin Bacon hair, too perfect

ROFL! That's TOO perfect! XD

Even the whole "They said he'd never win. He knew he had to." thing! I love it! Someone with some mad Photoshopping skills has gotta make that work!

Honorable mentions to voodoochile, too. I just might buy that t-shirt for my woman. Do you know if that comes in black and white? :smile:

Frater Perdurabo
07-01-2009, 12:32 PM
I predicted in last night's game thread that Gordon Beckham will make the Hall of Fame.

The last time I made such a bold prediction was in spring 1990, when as an eighth-grader I boasted to my friends that Frank Thomas would make the Hall of Fame. So, assuming that Frank makes it (and I think we all agree he should and will), I'll have a 100% success rate!

:tongue:

LoveYourSuit
07-01-2009, 12:53 PM
Where's that 500 page thread of how "Gordon is not ready?"

"The Sox are going to ruin yet another young player."

Say it loud, say it proud, "IN KENNY WE TRUST."

:tongue:

Zisk77
07-01-2009, 12:59 PM
Well, turkey bacon [or venison bacon, for that matter], might be kosher. And we already have Gobble.

Actually kosher refers to how meat was butchered through the practice of sheyitah (probably spelled that wrong). Which is to kill the animal be severing the jugular veins and letting the animal bleed out. This produces softer meat than hitting the animal between the eyes with a sledge because the animal will have an andrenaline rush carried by the blood that toughens the meat.

However, since most sects of judism prohibit the eating of pork the connotation of kosher has become any meat that is not pork. technically you could kill a pig kosher style but could not eat if you were a jew. :redneck
At least thats what i got from a class on the holocaust i took in college.

Hijack over...Go Bacon! If girls wanted to attract guys they should have bacon sented purfume...what guy likes lilac?

Mohoney
07-01-2009, 01:09 PM
It was only a matter of time before he got comfortable and started hitting like we all knew he could.

Even when he was hitting under .200, he wasn't striking out very much. He was making regular contact, and didn't really look overmatched by ML pitching. It was just a matter of time before some of those lineouts found some gaps.

guillensdisciple
07-01-2009, 01:22 PM
What are Gordon's chances at the Rookie of the Year award? Alexei made a legitimate attempt at it last year, but Longoria was too good. I don't see anyone near Beckham's level in the majors right now (except for that guy that plays for the Pirates Mclutchen:scratch:).

sox1970
07-01-2009, 01:34 PM
What are Gordon's chances at the Rookie of the Year award? Alexei made a legitimate attempt at it last year, but Longoria was too good. I don't see anyone near Beckham's level in the majors right now (except for that guy that plays for the Pirates McCutchen:scratch:).

McCutchen in the NL, so maybe he'll end up winning that.

I think Beckham has a very good chance of winning the AL award, especially if he keeps up what he's done the last two weeks.

If he ends up .290/15/70 in 100 games, he'll probably win it.

KyWhiSoxFan
07-01-2009, 01:38 PM
It's a small sample size with just 75 ABs, but Beckham has the fourth-highest OBP on the team at .353. Only ones higher are Thome (.397), Pods (.368), and Dye (.363).

Beckham already seems like one of those players who makes things happen in a very positive fashion.

voodoochile
07-01-2009, 01:47 PM
It's a small sample size with just 75 ABs, but Beckham has the fourth-highest OBP on the team at .353. Only ones higher are Thome (.397), Pods (.368), and Dye (.363).

Beckham already seems like one of those players who makes things happen in a very positive fashion.

I'm mostly impressed with his ability to hit lineshots all over the field. When you can drive the ball to any part of the park, good things are going to happen for you.

thedudeabides
07-01-2009, 01:48 PM
What are Gordon's chances at the Rookie of the Year award? Alexei made a legitimate attempt at it last year, but Longoria was too good. I don't see anyone near Beckham's level in the majors right now (except for that guy that plays for the Pirates Mclutchen:scratch:).

Here's a summary of other top rookies from about a week ago. Beckham was late to the game, but if he continues on this pace, he'll have a shot. Porcello is probably leading for now.

Crasnick (http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/columns/story?columnist=crasnick_jerry&page=starting9/090624)

Law11
07-01-2009, 01:54 PM
This ad popped up on Facebook. Though it was appropriate.. His agent needs to jump on the Bacon bandwagon..

voodoochile
07-01-2009, 02:04 PM
This ad popped up on Facebook. Though it was appropriate.. His agent needs to jump on the Bacon bandwagon..
I win... :tongue:

gobears1987
07-01-2009, 02:09 PM
I'm waiting to see more hindsight arguments about how he should have been brought up much earlier.When they had the poll about a month ago asking when Bacon should be called up, my post in the thread was "yesterday." A bunch of us were calling for him to start the season in Chicago.

gobears1987
07-01-2009, 02:13 PM
What has impressed me most about Beckham is that he takes a pitcher's pitch and just drives it up the middle. The pitchers then try to go inside on him and he cranks it.

KMcMahon817
07-01-2009, 02:34 PM
My question is when does he get moved to the two hole? Maybe you have to leave him where he is at while he is sizzling, but I think he would be a very good two place hitter on this squad.

LoveYourSuit
07-01-2009, 02:37 PM
My question is when does he get moved to the two hole? Maybe you have to leave him where he is at while he is sizzling, but I think he would be a very good two place hitter on this squad.

I think eventually he is 3 hole material because of the potential to hit for high BA and OBP%.

I see him as a Joe Mauer type 3 hole hitter for the future.

KMcMahon817
07-01-2009, 02:39 PM
I think eventually he is 3 hole material because of the potential to hit for high BA and OBP%.

I see him as a Joe Mauer type 3 hole hitter for the future.

hahaha...I only hope he can put up the numbers of baby jesus.

Law11
07-01-2009, 02:46 PM
I win... :tongue:

:tiphat:

indeed my friend. Indeed.

DumpJerry
07-01-2009, 02:50 PM
Wish I knew what you wrote.....
:tealtutor:

WhiteSoxFTW
07-01-2009, 02:58 PM
Beckham has shown us a lot, especially for his ability to adjust in the middle of an at-bat.

TomBradley72
07-01-2009, 03:21 PM

Ozzie must have been fired as well...since he's so abusive to rookies and ruins their careers (ie. his horrible abuse of Brian Anderson).

TomBradley72
07-01-2009, 03:24 PM

I'm with you on this one. He has a great inside/out swing for hit and runs/moving runners along, can get a bunt down, draw a walk, and it frees up TCM to move down in the order and focus on driving in runs.

CaptUSN
07-01-2009, 03:30 PM
he is hitting .3225.... I like the way he is taking the ball up the middle and right center...

DonnieDarko
07-01-2009, 03:44 PM
I will admit that I'm one of the people that said he shouldn't have been called up so soon. I'll also be one of the first to admit that at least so far, I'm happily eating crow. Delicious, succulent black crow...

SOXfnNlansing
07-01-2009, 04:01 PM
It seems like since the '3 stooges' are seperated now (Crede, Rowand, and AJ), AJ has found a new friend in Beckham. That can be a good thing for the team. I hate the nickname 'bacon' by the way.

skobabe8
07-01-2009, 05:59 PM
Beckham mention on PTI RIGHT NOW....

David Beckham. OOPS.

SOXfnNlansing
07-01-2009, 07:35 PM
wow, .282 now after going 2-3 with a run and rbi.

:hawk

"I just luvvv the 1st month of school"

chisoxfanatic
07-01-2009, 07:51 PM
He's looking like a veteran up there at times hitting! Just imagine how he's gonna look when he's even more comfortable up here.

kevingrt
07-01-2009, 08:35 PM
He's looking like a veteran up there at times hitting! Just imagine how he's gonna look when he's even more comfortable up here.

You know a couple MVP awards, a few rings, a bronze bust... that is all.

DirtySox
07-01-2009, 08:44 PM
He needs to teach BA how to hit.

russ99
07-01-2009, 08:49 PM
I hate the nickname 'bacon' by the way.

BACON IS ON FIRE!!!! :tongue:

Jacob Nelson Fox
07-01-2009, 08:50 PM
What has impressed me most about Beckham is that he takes a pitcher's pitch and just drives it up the middle. The pitchers then try to go inside on him and he cranks it.

Agree, I love it! When Paulie went the other way for his home run last night, my first thought was "that's the way Beckham would do it".

Could the grizzled veterans be taking cues from the baby faced rookie?

DirtySox
07-01-2009, 08:51 PM
Bacon Explosion? (http://www.bbqaddicts.com/blog/recipes/bacon-explosion/)

Frater Perdurabo
07-01-2009, 08:51 PM

Can he be both the third baseman and the hitting coach? :tongue:

DonnieDarko
07-01-2009, 08:53 PM

OMG, why didn't I think of that?! I've had that page bookmarked for the last month! >_<

Kudos, though. :smile:

hawkjt
07-01-2009, 09:44 PM
Gordo has a little Robin Yount/Molitor type hitting style going...
Enjoy it while you can,Gordo...the league will catch up and then he will have to adjust..I like what I see,no doubt bout it.

Boondock Saint
07-01-2009, 10:14 PM

I'm half spellbound and half revolted by that.

Shoeless
07-01-2009, 10:16 PM

Yeah, time to get Beckham a new nickname

TheVulture
07-01-2009, 10:16 PM
Agree, I love it! When Paulie went the other way for his home run last night, my first thought was "that's the way Beckham would do it".

Konerko has always been that kind of hitter when he's hitting well, especially with two strikes. Seems like when he's struggling he forgets and goes into pull mode. Hopefully he can really get into that kind of groove with a little example from the youngster.

TheVulture
07-01-2009, 10:18 PM
Gordo has a little Robin Yount/Molitor type hitting style going...
Enjoy it while you can,Gordo...the league will catch up and then he will have to adjust..I like what I see,no doubt bout it.

It's hard to adjust to an inside-out swing - that's the beauty of it.

DonnieDarko
07-01-2009, 11:07 PM

No, no, no. I had that (without the BBQ sauce and with breakfast sausage instead of Italian) and it was ****ing amazing. You have to try it, if only just once. Your heart will hate you for it, but your tastebuds will love you. :D:

DonnieDarko
07-01-2009, 11:10 PM
It's hard to adjust to an inside-out swing - that's the beauty of it.

Dumb question...but what IS an inside-out swing? And why do so many people seem to be amazed by it? Is it a rare trait in a batter?

asindc
07-01-2009, 11:33 PM
He needs to teach BA how to hit.

If he can just get BA to be student of the game, I would be impressed:

http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=2276062&postcount=27

Nellie_Fox
07-02-2009, 01:43 AM
Actually kosher refers to how meat was butchered through the practice of sheyitah (probably spelled that wrong). Which is to kill the animal be severing the jugular veins and letting the animal bleed out. This produces softer meat than hitting the animal between the eyes with a sledge because the animal will have an andrenaline rush carried by the blood that toughens the meat.

However, since most sects of judism prohibit the eating of pork the connotation of kosher has become any meat that is not pork. technically you could kill a pig kosher style but could not eat if you were a jew. :redneck

Hijack over...Go Bacon! If girls wanted to attract guys they should have bacon sented purfume...what guy likes lilac?Kosher has to do with the animal itself, as well. An animal is kosher if it chews its cud and has cloven hooves, but if it meets one but not the other, it is not a kosher animal. Since a pig has cloven hooves but does not chew its cud, it is not kosher no matter how you slaughter it.

cws05champ
07-02-2009, 08:36 AM
My Cholesterol went up just looking at those pictures...

Marqhead
07-02-2009, 08:45 AM
My Cholesterol went up just looking at those pictures...

My co-workers make these on a regular basis and bring them into the office. It's a recipe for disaster.

nsdjoe
07-02-2009, 09:55 AM
With a good weekend he should be up for AL player of the week.

bigdommer
07-02-2009, 10:09 AM
"I don't believe that I am a per-say “power hitter.” In my opinion, I hit long line drives that sometimes leave the park. I think it used to be a big deal to me. But, as I have matured as a player I have begun to realize that it's more important to constantly put pressure on the defense, to fight and claw for every hit to help the team. That is more important to me."

That is a quote from Gordon before his senior year in college and after he lead the Cape Cod league in homeruns, with wood bats. He's been successful at every level, so it's no surprise that he has gotten his average up. He hit line drives as soon as he was brought up, and I think his approach is such that he did not get discouraged by the results. The guy is a winner.

GoGoCrede
07-02-2009, 10:13 AM

Ugh. I'm not in the mood for lunch today anymore.

rickytickytockyk
07-02-2009, 10:31 AM
Dumb question...but what IS an inside-out swing? And why do so many people seem to be amazed by it? Is it a rare trait in a batter?
An inside out swing is one in which the hands are ahead of the bat barrel at the point of contact. It`s produced by intentionally pulling the hands in toward the body while swinging and is used to to attempt to hit the ball to right field, thus being able to advance runners or to stay out of a double play situation. This swing is used primarily by right handed swingers, as a lefty`s job with teammates on base is to pull the ball. Right field hitting always produces more RBI`s.

KenBerryGrab
07-02-2009, 11:03 AM
This swing is used primarily by right handed swingers, as a lefty`s job with teammates on base is to pull the ball.

Not necessarily true. Lots of lefties have been successful with inside-out swings -- Carew, Tony Gwynn, Ichiro....

It's generally not a swing used all the time.

Jerome
07-02-2009, 11:19 AM
Bacon has been sizzling at the plate

voodoochile
07-02-2009, 12:38 PM
Bacon has been sizzling at the plate

Out of the frying pan and look out he's on fire?

rickytickytockyk
07-02-2009, 02:44 PM
Not necessarily true. Lots of lefties have been successful with inside-out swings -- Carew, Tony Gwynn, Ichiro....

It's generally not a swing used all the time.
While you are correct about the players you mentioned , their job nonetheless is to pull the ball with men on base, and all left handed hitters will agree. With nobody on, sure, they used this method. But hitting to the left side with men on base invites the easy double play or the look back to third. Furthermore, most runners do not score from second base on singles hit to left field. Ask any left handed hitter...they will talk about ` top handing` and ` getting the head out` with ducks on the pond. Indisputably true, and they wear it as an obligatory badge of honor in doing so.

DonnieDarko
07-02-2009, 03:55 PM
An inside out swing is one in which the hands are ahead of the bat barrel at the point of contact. It`s produced by intentionally pulling the hands in toward the body while swinging and is used to to attempt to hit the ball to right field, thus being able to advance runners or to stay out of a double play situation. This swing is used primarily by right handed swingers, as a lefty`s job with teammates on base is to pull the ball. Right field hitting always produces more RBI`s.

Ah. Thank you for the information. Now I think I get it.

Tragg
07-02-2009, 05:26 PM
Is this name "bacon" something he's used for a long time?
Or is it something hawk made up?

voodoochile
07-02-2009, 05:34 PM
Is this name "bacon" something he's used for a long time?
Or is it something hawk made up?

It's because Ozzie can't say Beckham due to his accent...

BoysMom3
07-02-2009, 05:39 PM

Hijack over...Go Bacon! If girls wanted to attract guys they should have bacon sented purfume...what guy likes lilac?

Zisk, have you seen the commercial where the girl rubs cashews on her skin? She's not super attractive, but once she does the cashew thing, everywhere she goes, guys are falling all over themselves to get a glance of her - your post reminded me of that.

I hate the nickname Bacon so much. It's so stupid. I am enjoying watching Beckham so much though.