PDA

View Full Version : Question about Beckham's jersey?

soxfandy
06-30-2009, 07:28 PM
I really am liking what I am seeing from Beckham and I believe he is the next jersey I am going to get. Not only am I getting myself one, but I am also getting one for one of my buddies for his bday. I was just curious if anybody has read anything about whether or not he is going to stick with #15. Before spending about $200 on two jerseys I would like to know that the number will stick. Thanks for your help!!!

Dibbs
06-30-2009, 07:33 PM
I was just thinking the same thing myself. I have never changed numbers on a jersey before. Would this be possible without making it obvious or damaging the jersey?

Shoeless
06-30-2009, 07:38 PM
I was just thinking the same thing myself. I have never changed numbers on a jersey before. Would this be possible without making it obvious or damaging the jersey?

You don't have to worry so much about damaging it, but it can be really pricey if you want it done right.

soxfandy
06-30-2009, 07:40 PM
I try to only get jerseys of players that i think will be with the sox for awhile. I just got an alexei jersey and now I figure beckham will be with us for a very long time. I just don't want him to pull a kobe and change numbers on me!!!

IceczMan
06-30-2009, 07:48 PM
I don't know if it is any indication, but the Sox made and are now selling his jersey t-shirt with #15 on it.

CWSpalehoseCWS
06-30-2009, 08:10 PM
Personally, I am going to do the same thing, but I'm going to wait until the end of the year. Just in case. I would think that he won't change it because it's so low. It it was in the 40's or 50's, then I might wait.

chisoxfanatic
06-30-2009, 08:12 PM
You can use a seam ripper. Those things are money.

Cuck the Fubs
06-30-2009, 08:55 PM
You can use a seam ripper. Those things are money.

Hmmmm I never even thought of this....I might give that a go on my Swisher jersey from last year :redface:

chisoxfanatic
06-30-2009, 08:59 PM
Hmmmm I never even thought of this....I might give that a go on my Swisher jersey from last year :redface:
You don't want to keep your Dirty 30? :o:

pythons007
06-30-2009, 09:10 PM
What number was he in college? That might be a good indicator of a number he may want.

chisoxfanatic
06-30-2009, 09:11 PM
what number was he in college? That might be a good indicator of a number he may want.

pythons007
06-30-2009, 09:13 PM
I don't believe anyone has that number...actually I can't remember the last player to wear 6.:scratch:

sox1970
06-30-2009, 09:23 PM
He should wear 6, and find a different way to honor Charley Lau at the stadium. Maybe a plaque or something.

skobabe8
06-30-2009, 09:25 PM
I don't believe anyone has that number...actually I can't remember the last player to wear 6.:scratch:

Is it true #6 is unofficially retired with the Sox? If so, what's the story? I thought Beckham would get 6 until I heard about this.

Cuck the Fubs
06-30-2009, 09:27 PM
You don't want to keep your Dirty 30? :o:

Nope...my wife is actually assisting in the removal as I type this :cool:

chisoxfanatic
06-30-2009, 09:29 PM
Nope...my wife is actually assisting in the removal as I type this :cool:
You better watch out now! Swisher's gonna hunt you down at your house and give you the shaving cream pie...and then you'd REALLY look like Santa Claus! :wink:

Cuck the Fubs
06-30-2009, 09:43 PM
You better watch out now! Swisher's gonna hunt you down at your house and give you the shaving cream pie...and then you'd REALLY look like Santa Claus! :wink:

Bring it on Swish! I'll have my goldendoodle OZZIE take him out!

DirtySox
06-30-2009, 09:59 PM
I wouldn't be surprised if Beckham has another number next year. If you recall Betemit was 15 before Gordon's callup, therefore it might have been him simply taking what was available at the time upon short notice.

DumpJerry
06-30-2009, 10:39 PM
Nobody will #6 again. It is officially unofficially retired in honor of Charlie Lau.

I'm guessing 15 is where he stays. It's a low number. If you buy a lettered jersey and he changes it, take it to Grandstand, they will fix it for you with the new digits.

Foulke You
07-01-2009, 01:26 AM
I don't know if it is any indication, but the Sox made and are now selling his jersey t-shirt with #15 on it.
I'm assuming this is at the ballpark kiosks? I might have to pick one up the next game I go to. Does anyone know if Grandstand or Champs has these yet?

Metalthrasher442
07-01-2009, 11:20 AM
I think I remember him wanting #8 but Cox has it. He might end up with it next year.

DonnieDarko
07-01-2009, 11:22 AM
I think I remember him wanting #8 but Cox has it. He might end up with it next year.

...I thought that Beckham was originally #7? At least in minors and in college anyway.

BringBackBlkJack
07-01-2009, 11:49 AM

I saw that he wore #80 in ST, so maybe #8 is not too far off.

bigdommer
07-01-2009, 12:54 PM

I play on a club team and we have professionally made jerseys with the numbers stitched exactly like the pros. I wanted to change numbers this offseason, so I took it to a shop to see if they could do it. He said sure, no problem. But when I told him that I was going from a double digit number to a single digit, he advised against it because of fading/wear around where the old numbers used to be. He said it wouldn't be that big of a deal, but at the same time it wouldn't look "professional."

Metalthrasher442
07-01-2009, 01:53 PM
...I thought that Beckham was originally #7? At least in minors and in college anyway.

He always wore number 6. I just remember some talk about him going to number 8 when he becomes an everyday player, but than Cox would have to give it up.

Foulke You
07-02-2009, 02:46 PM
I swung by the box office today to buy some tickets to the Sox/Yankees series and decided to check out the gift shop to hunt for Bacon shirts. The gift shop doors were closed so I did as the ticket office lady suggested and went into the media entrance next to it and asked if I could go to the store. The media entrance lobby is pretty cool. They have a trophy case with the '05 World Series and AL trophies in it. They also have an absolutely huge picture of Jose Contreras throwing the first pitch of the World Series at The Cell. The pic had to be at least 12 feet wide.

Anyway, once inside, the security guy paged the store clerk and she came down the elevator and took me up to the clubhouse store behind homeplate. (It's kind've jarring to be walking on the concourse in a completely empty ballpark) I took the plunge and bought a black Beckham jersey T for $28. They had plenty in stock and they also had Beckham jerseys as well. The lady was really friendly and was very helpful. This was the complete opposite of my phone call to Grandstand where the lady on the phone always sounds annoyed. As of Thursday, Grandstand had yet to receive their shipment of Beckham shirts. If you simply can't wait for your Bacon shirt and are near the ballpark, I highly recommend stopping by the clubhouse store. Not sure what their hours are but I'm sure you can find it on the website.

Lorenzo Barcelo
07-02-2009, 03:07 PM
This was the complete opposite of my phone call to Grandstand where the lady on the phone always sounds annoyed. As of Thursday, Grandstand had yet to receive their shipment of Beckham shirts. If you simply can't wait for your Bacon shirt and are near the ballpark, I highly recommend stopping by the clubhouse store. Not sure what their hours are but I'm sure you can find it on the website.

Grandstand has excellent selection for the most part, but their customer service has declined in my opinion over the last few years. They really must have issues with theft at the store, because employees stare and follow you throughout the store. I understand the loss prevention aspect, but there has to be ways to do it in a customer friendly manner.

Foulke You
07-02-2009, 04:23 PM
Grandstand has excellent selection for the most part, but their customer service has declined in my opinion over the last few years. They really must have issues with theft at the store, because employees stare and follow you throughout the store. I understand the loss prevention aspect, but there has to be ways to do it in a customer friendly manner.
I agree that it has declined. They used to be super friendly on the phone and were always extremely helpful. Lately, every time I call it seems the person on the other end would rather be doing anything than talk to me. They also give quick one word answers just to get you off the phone. When I asked about the Beckham jersey Ts she replied in an annoyed tone "No" and when I asked when they'd be arriving she said in an even more annoyed tone "I don't know, they should have been here already". I realize anyone could have a bad day but it has been multiple times when I call there that I get the less than stellar customer service. They do have a great selection though and do a fantastic job on jersey numbers and names.

parlaycard
07-02-2009, 06:13 PM
Just picked up the authentic alternate black Beckham jersey today at Granstand. $200 ouch.

When i asked "How much is it going to cost for me to have the number changed when he switches numbers?"

I was told, "He wont be switching."

Then i said, "Im buying the jersey anyways, im just wondering what the cost will be if he does switch numbers"

And was again told "He wont be switching."

They also had replicas Home, away and alternate black for $99.

JermaineDye05
07-02-2009, 06:50 PM
My guess is that next year Beckham will be wearing 7 or 8. This is of course assuming he decides he wants to change.

hi im skot
07-02-2009, 10:07 PM
Just picked up the authentic alternate black Beckham jersey today at Granstand. $200 ouch.

When i asked "How much is it going to cost for me to have the number changed when he switches numbers?"

I was told, "He wont be switching."

Then i said, "Im buying the jersey anyways, im just wondering what the cost will be if he does switch numbers"

And was again told "He wont be switching."

They also had replicas Home, away and alternate black for $99.

Did you talk to Josh? Kind of a quiet, younger dude?

He tends to be in the loop on this sort of stuff.

MeteorsSox4367
07-03-2009, 06:38 PM
Just thinking that maybe Beckham chose 15 because 1 plus 5 equals 6. Sometimes, players add the numbers together when they can't get the exact number they want.

BTW, Sports Authority in Burbank does not have any Beckham jersey t-shirts.